GDT: Devils vs Lightning - 24 March @ 7p Eastern

jagknife

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I swear this board invents sh!t to worry about...now we're worried about the Panthers running the table with nine games left in their season?  When they're 4-3 in their last seven?  Why are so many of you constantly contemplating absolute worst-case scenarios?  Sweet Jesus.

Worry? definitely a complete misread by you.. its strictly about points.. a florida loss there put us in control right now!  worry has nothing to do with it.. strictly numbers and yes their pts affect us..

I was responding to a post about not enjoying our huge win..and pointing out you can enjoy the win AND be pissed at the dogs..  but thanks for telling us how we should feel, lol

From NYP article on Grabner's impending FA:

Which is not to say that he’s not interested in reuniting with the Rangers.

“I’m open,” Grabner told The Post before the Devils beat the league-leading Lightning 2-1 on Saturday night in Newark. “I haven’t thought about it, but I’m open to anything. I’m trying to play out my season here, try to have the best possibility of my play here the rest of the year, then see what happens after.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/11cec05c-fc67-3c53-ae61-a9f810fba084/ss_how-a-michael-grabner-reunion.html

Any other team and this comment is...okay. He's a Rangers spy, the sooner he's gone, the better.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

“I’m open,” Grabner told The Post before the Devils beat the league-leading Lightning 2-1 on Saturday night in Newark. “I haven’t thought about it, but I’m open to anything. I’m trying to play out my season here, try to have the best possibility of my play here the rest of the year, then see what happens after.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/11cec05c-fc67-3c53-ae61-a9f810fba084/ss_how-a-michael-grabner-reunion.html

Any other team and this comment is...okay. He's a Rangers spy, the sooner he's gone, the better.

200.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

For fvcks sake, who gives a sh!t. It’s a loaded question. I like his game, i reaaaaaally like his speed and I think he’ll re-sign with us. If he doesn’t we can curse him then, but right now we’ve got 8 more games outta him to get us into the playoffs.

Why would we curse him, his presence has basically been frustrating since he got here. If he wants to go somewhere else, we can let someone else barely score. 

10 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Worry? definitely a complete misread by you.. its strictly about points.. a florida loss there put us in control right now!  worry has nothing to do with it.. strictly numbers and yes their pts affect us..

I was responding to a post about not enjoying our huge win..and pointing out you can enjoy the win AND be pissed at the dogs..  but thanks for telling us how we should feel, lol

This post isn't all in response to the above, but some of it is mentioned.

It's really too early to worry about "controlling destiny"...it's highly unlikely that any of the four teams currently fighting for three spots are going to run the table...and that's really the part of your post that I was addressing.  Yes, if Florida somehow wins all of their remaining nine games, and the other two teams hold off the Devils, then yes, the Devils don't make the playoffs.  And it does feel like the latest "We need something new to worry about" theme is the fact that, of this four-team race, the other teams can max out at 101 points, but the Devils can only max out at 100...so somehow that should be of concern...as though all four of these teams are going to combine to win all 28 of their remaining games.  The destiny-control thing is probably going to change quite a bit down the stretch...I can't consider the Devils to be at some significant disadvantage as far as that goes with a number of games still left on everyone's schedule.   

Look, I definitely get general anxiety about being in a tough playoff chase, because we're all feeling it (and I'll happily take that over feeling general apathy and wondering how high of a pick the Devils are going to get, and not being easy two-point fodder in March for various playoff hopefuls).  Right now not one of the BJs, Flyers, Devils or Panthers have a spot sewn up, and even with the Panthers going 19-6-1 in their last 26, they're still on the outside looking in.  It just feels like there's a lot of spinning about why it will absolutely be the Devils who are destined to get squeezed out, and it feels like some fans are just waiting to pounce if that ultimately happens, to start ripping certain players, Hynes, etc.  I've seen people accuse the Devils of choking or blowing it when they have yet to lose their berth, yet I've seen this team fight back over and over again (and with their #1 goalie being winless in 2018 to boot)...I just saw this team go 5-3-0 over a very tough 8-game stretch that I think many were convinced was going to kill the season...if you took a poll prior to those games, I think at least half the board would've thought that the Devils would've lost their spot by now...speaking of which, here was where the Devils and Panthers stood on 3/7, just before those eight tough games:

Devils:  67 GP, 76 points

Panthers:  64 GP, 71 points

And now:

Devils,  75 GP, 86 points

Panthers:  73 GP, 83 points

So basically the Panthers have used up one of their games in hand and have drawn two points closer.  Not saying I wouldn't have loved for the Panthers to have lost some more games, but all things considered it could be a lot worse today. 

It's ironic, in that we know that this team has flaws and issues and they've been pointed out and discussed/debated multiple times, but then the Devils dare to lose some games where we see exactly what those flaws are, and out come the shredders and naysayers.  It's not so much that I'm telling people how to feel as much as I just wish there was more enjoyment of where we are...we've seen the Devils win 17 games since 12/28...doesn't sound that impressive until you realize that Cory doesn't own a single one of those wins.  Yes, there is still a lot work to be done (and this is true for ALL four teams).  Yes, the Devils could wind up being the team that doesn't make it, and that will stir up a lot of negative emotions.  But I'll take being 100% fully invested in an involved team over the alternative any day.  And though it's not always pretty, the 2017-18 New Jersey Devils have given us a lot of thrills.  More than we ever could have expected.   

And yeah, I do agree with you in that sure, you can be elated about the Devils beating Tampa, and still be a bit chapped about the Panthers coming back to beat the Yotes.  But in general I just worry about the Devils winning as much as they can. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

That's called not burning a bridge...of course these guys are going to keep ALL of their options open...what's he going to say?  "Yeah, fvck the Rangers, no way I'd ever dream of playing for them again, they shouldn't even waste their time making an offer!" 

You hear "not ruling out anything" comments like this all the time from pending UFAs...just like you hear "If there's a move that makes sense for our team, we'll make it" from just about every GM...these quotes basically say NOTHING.  It only makes good business sense for him to make it like sound like he'll be receptive to offers from everyone at this point.  And of course with the NYP being the NYP, they try to fill in the blanks and make it sound like this is a real possibility, when no one really knows anything.  Grabner could've said "Nothing to say, not talking about this right now", and it would've meant as much as what he actually said.  These guys are often very good at saying something yet nothing at the same time...Derek Jeter did it better than anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This post isn't all in response to the above, but some of it is mentioned.

It's really too early to worry about "controlling destiny"...it's highly unlikely that any of the four teams currently fighting for three spots are going to run the table...and that's really the part of your post that I was addressing.  Yes, if Florida somehow wins all of their remaining nine games, and the other two teams hold off the Devils, then yes, the Devils don't make the playoffs.  And it does feel like the latest "We need something new to worry about" theme is the fact that, of this four-team race, the other teams can max out at 101 points, but the Devils can only max out at 100...so somehow that should be of concern...as though all four of these teams are going to combine to win all 28 of their remaining games.  The destiny-control thing is probably going to change quite a bit down the stretch...I can't consider the Devils to be at some significant disadvantage as far as that goes with a number of games still left on everyone's schedule.   

Look, I definitely get general anxiety about being in a tough playoff chase, because we're all feeling it (and I'll happily take that over feeling general apathy and wondering how high of a pick the Devils are going to get, and not being easy two-point fodder in March for various playoff hopefuls).  Right now not one of the BJs, Flyers, Devils or Panthers have a spot sewn up, and even with the Panthers going 19-6-1 in their last 26, they're still on the outside looking in.  It just feels like there's a lot of spinning about why it will absolutely be the Devils who are destined to get squeezed out, and it feels like some fans are just waiting to pounce if that ultimately happens, to start ripping certain players, Hynes, etc.  I've seen people accuse the Devils of choking or blowing it when they have yet to lose their berth, yet I've seen this team fight back over and over again (and with their #1 goalie being winless in 2018 to boot)...I just saw this team go 5-3-0 over a very tough 8-game stretch that I think many were convinced was going to kill the season...if you took a poll prior to those games, I think at least half the board would've thought that the Devils would've lost their spot by now...speaking of which, here was where the Devils and Panthers stood on 3/7, just before those eight tough games:

Devils:  67 GP, 76 points

Panthers:  64 GP, 71 points

And now:

Devils,  75 GP, 86 points

Panthers:  73 GP, 83 points

So basically the Panthers have used up one of their games in hand and have drawn two points closer.  Not saying I wouldn't have loved for the Panthers to have lost some more games, but all things considered it could be a lot worse today. 

It's ironic, in that we know that this team has flaws and issues and they've been pointed out and discussed/debated multiple times, but then the Devils dare to lose some games where we see exactly what those flaws are, and out come the shredders and naysayers.  It's not so much that I'm telling people how to feel as much as I just wish there was more enjoyment of where we are...we've seen the Devils win 17 games since 12/28...doesn't sound that impressive until you realize that Cory doesn't own a single one of those wins.  Yes, there is still a lot work to be done (and this is true for ALL four teams).  Yes, the Devils could wind up being the team that doesn't make it, and that will stir up a lot of negative emotions.  But I'll take being 100% fully invested in an involved team over the alternative any day.  And though it's not always pretty, the 2017-18 New Jersey Devils have given us a lot of thrills.  More than we ever could have expected.   

And yeah, I do agree with you in that sure, you can be elated about the Devils beating Tampa, and still be a bit chapped about the Panthers coming back to beat the Yotes.  But in general I just worry about the Devils winning as much as they can. 

hey, Im the "going down with the ship" guy.. and I want the panthers to lose even after we clinch it... and on a completely different note.. why do we need to see brad marchands shift time on the screen???

12 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Why do people get so triggered by these questions? It's a question with an innately Rangers spin on it, and he's a professional trying to answer a question diplomatically. He's not going to go, "nah fvck the Rangers" when he was a member of that team just a month ago, if he does bolt back to NYR after the season then we can get fed up then.

I'm getting some satisfaction thinking that just like us.... florida, philly and blue jackets fans are looking at us hoping we'd lose every night... they just like us saw the insane road trip we had to go through, anticipating that this was going to be a lethal blow for us this season... but it wasn't, we actually did quite well

So we're frustrating the living hell out of those fanbases and i love it

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Why do people get so triggered by these questions? It's a question with an innately Rangers spin on it, and he's a professional trying to answer a question diplomatically. He's not going to go, "nah fvck the Rangers" when he was a member of that team just a month ago, if he does bolt back to NYR after the season then we can get fed up then.

More like... why do people get triggered by everything these days haha the millennials are taking over

11 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Mark Neverson himself couldn't written that article any better, except that 1994 and Messier would've been mentioned as well. 

26 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

hey, Im the "going down with the ship" guy.. and I want the panthers to lose even after we clinch it... and on a completely different note.. why do we need to see brad marchands shift time on the screen???

Three words:  fvck BRAD MARCHANT

Doesn't bother me what Grabner said. He was asked specifically and he gave the standard "I'm open" answer. If they asked him about the Flyers or Pens or Isles he'd say I'm open too. Granted why the hell is he even being asked about re-joining a rebuilding franchise that's out of it now during a Devils playoff run, but whatever.

He'll be 31 I don't even think he fits in NYR's long term plans

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Doesn't bother me what Grabner said. He was asked specifically and he gave the standard "I'm open" answer. If they asked him about the Flyers or Pens or Isles he'd say I'm open too. Granted why the hell is he even being asked about re-joining a rebuilding franchise that's out of it now during a Devils playoff run, but whatever.

He'll be 31 I don't even think he fits in NYR's long term plans

If Grabner wants some stability in his career, it's way more likely he'll re-sign here or sign elsewhere for a few seasons, the reason NYR would want him back would be to double down and flip him again at next year's deadline like what Toronto did with Daniel Winnik.

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You're right, I'd *much* rather Jimmy Hayes eat those third-line & PK minutes he's been playing. 

No no no, I am not suggesting that AT ALL!

Although, if you do the maths, Jimmy Hayes has more PPG as a Devil this season (0.28) than Grabner has as a Devil (0.21). 

Edited by mfitz804