Devils sign UND G Cam Johnson to one year entry level contract

MadDog2020

If you had asked me before, I honestly would have thought Cam wasn't on the team until after guys like Langenbrunner, Madden, and Pandolfo left. Those years/eras are starting to blur.

Chico's excitement is great lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

That was Janne Kekalainens pick.

Well yeah i guess "found" is the wrong term. it's Kekalainen who found him really as he was the Finnish scout and showed him Rinne in the warmups while he was in town but you'd think Shero had more push with Poile

Edited by SterioDesign

On 3/24/2018 at 2:34 PM, DevilMinder said:

Soooo any good goalies in this draft?

I don't see a 1st round goalie in this draft, I think the first goalie is likely going to be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round this year. Jakub Skarek and Alexis Gravel intrigue me,  also wouldn't mind taking a poke at David Hrenak in the 6th round or so even though he's an overager, he had a pretty good freshman season with St. Cloud State.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Damn do I miss watching Brodeur

Hybrid goalies are the closest thing to brodeurs style.  Butterfly goalies by design are boring to watch bc all they do is drop.  

As a goalie, for me, it's harder on the knees to keep dropping every shot.  It's also alot more fun to play the hybrid style.  

This is definitely an interesting signing.  I don't really think it impacts the starting two all that much, but it further complicates an already pretty crowded field when you combine both the NHL and AHL starting goalies for the Devils.  With how good Kinkaid has played over the past dozen games or so, I think next year it's going to be him and Cory jockeying for the starting role, and if Cory doesn't ever turn things around (with the way things are going, he may actually never get the opportunity), I could see the possibility of him being traded to a team that feels he could turn things around by joining their club and also a team that can afford him.  That would open up the door to having Kinkaid be somewhat of a stop-gap starter for a couple years, and I think that point we would then be looking at either trading or drafting a young goalie who would be our "future" netminder.

21 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This is definitely an interesting signing.  I don't really think it impacts the starting two all that much, but it further complicates an already pretty crowded field when you combine both the NHL and AHL starting goalies for the Devils.  With how good Kinkaid has played over the past dozen games or so, I think next year it's going to be him and Cory jockeying for the starting role, and if Cory doesn't ever turn things around (with the way things are going, he may actually never get the opportunity), I could see the possibility of him being traded to a team that feels he could turn things around by joining their club and also a team that can afford him.  That would open up the door to having Kinkaid be somewhat of a stop-gap starter for a couple years, and I think that point we would then be looking at either trading or drafting a young goalie who would be our "future" netminder.

Cory will start with a clean slate next season no matter what KK does the rest of this season...the contract is just worth too much for the Devils not to do that, and Cory has a much longer track record of being a #1 (and has three very good years of filling that role).  Also keep in mind that he has a full NTC...not that it couldn't waived by Cory under the right circumstances, but it's a stumbling block nevertheless.  And though the mostly bad play (and injury) has made this stretch feel insanely long, it's an 11-game sample...on its own, it's not enough to trump everything that came prior. 

It's hard to see anything happening unless Cory shows that he can be the guy he was in 2015-16 and before...I can't see anyone willing to take on his salary based on his overall numbers of the past two years.  I also don't see Shero just giving him away to get his money off the Devils' books either.  Shero is creative and I guess there's a slight chance he really pulls off something insane where he manages to move Cory and then brings in someone else (he'd have to bring in another goalie, given what's currently in the pipeline), but I don't think Shero nor the Devils are ready to give up on Cory just yet. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Julie Robenhymer article on Cam:  https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/prospect-pipeline-g-cam-johnson-joins-binghamton-devils/c-297417144

"We sent Scott Clemmensen out to see him a couple times and he said, 'He's an excellent skater and an excellent athlete and those are two areas that give a goalie the best chance to be the talent that they are. I know I can help him with what he needs to work on and draw the rest out of him. I think we should go after him.'" Fitzgerald said. "I agreed. I felt he made too much sense to not put our hat in the ring and try to sign him. So I called his agent, set up a meeting and did my best to sell him on the New Jersey Devils and what we have going on as an organization and, in the end, he chose us. It's great."

Plus a short interview c/o the Bing Twitter account: 

On 2018-03-26 at 10:11 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cory will start with a clean slate next season no matter what KK does the rest of this season...the contract is just worth too much for the Devils not to do that, and Cory has a much longer track record of being a #1 (and has three very good years of filling that role).  Also keep in mind that he has a full NTC...not that it couldn't waived by Cory under the right circumstances, but it's a stumbling block nevertheless.  And though the mostly bad play (and injury) has made this stretch feel insanely long, it's an 11-game sample...on its own, it's not enough to trump everything that came prior. 

This 100%. He's the starter next season until he plays his way out of it.