GDT: Devils vs Hurricanes - 27 Mar @ 7p Eastern

jagknife

Hard to know what to make of this game - obviously it's great the Devils won - but it was kind of a strange game.  High-event hockey, a fair number of penalties, Devils PP looked pretty good except when it didn't.  

I'm really liking what Zacha brings these days - he's smart with the puck and more importantly, his competent play allows Zajac to play with Coleman and Noesen, two guys he's much better suited to play with.

Didn't like Wood's game coming back but he did draw a penalty and wasn't totally invisible out there.

Mueller was okay.  I still don't like him on the right side, but he made some nice plays, especially on the PK.

Shame we can't get more help from other teams, but Dallas keeping Philly from 2 points is nice - Pittsburgh is also theoretically falling back to the pack.

• Like 8

Scored really cheap tickets ($15 each to sit in 211). Was a late arriving crowd but it filled up by the end of the first. I'd say it was about 90% full, which is a little disappointing during a playoff push, but it certainly got loud. The sing-songing of Darling was pretty excellent.

I agree with Tri in regards to Mueller. You could see a few times, especially in the offensive zone, where his handedness either handcuffed him or killed a chance to move the puck. He can't really move the puck, but his speed is able to make him effective. Good for him to play some meaningful games down the stretch. You never know if we'll need him in these last 6 games, or dare I say, playoffs. 

Hall and Palmieri were in beast mode last night. Some of Hall's passes are out of this world. With Mackinnon slowing down, I could really see him getting a Hart nom. 

Zacha has been awesome since he's been back. Three straight games with a point since coming back from injury and defensively he's very sound. Easy to forget he's only 20, but he can really turn into a good 2C if he has the consistency.  

• Like 5

Well that game was a f@ckin' roller coaster! Think I've only just calmed down.

Thought they started well but once Carolina scored they seemed to lose some confidence and composure. The teams ability to battle back, that they've shown all season, was again in evidence and thank god it was. The PP looked better than it has done for a while. Palms is really stepping it up and I think Zacha is continuing to look confident and making some really nice plays. You could see how the building erupted when Noeson scored and Cangy sounded like he was going to explode. I seriously hope the remaining games aren't so nail biting. Great game to watch though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

Hard to know what to make of this game - obviously it's great the Devils won - but it was kind of a strange game.  High-event hockey, a fair number of penalties, Devils PP looked pretty good except when it didn't.  

I'm really liking what Zacha brings these days - he's smart with the puck and more importantly, his competent play allows Zajac to play with Coleman and Noesen, two guys he's much better suited to play with.

Didn't like Wood's game coming back but he did draw a penalty and wasn't totally invisible out there.

Mueller was okay.  I still don't like him on the right side, but he made some nice plays, especially on the PK.

Shame we can't get more help from other teams, but Dallas keeping Philly from 2 points is nice - Pittsburgh is also theoretically falling back to the pack.

In some ways, the Devils truly remind me of the Bad News Bears.  Those Bears could look so bad at times, yet at the end of the movie they were going tit-for-tat with the best team in their league. 

Taylor Hall is our Kelly Leak (no explanation needed)

Nico Hischier is Amanda Whurlitzer (not saying he's feminine, but he's definitely a star in the making, and quite the important player)

Kyle Palmieri is Mike Englebert (no Kyle isn't fat, but as the season goes on, he keeps getting better...by the end of the movie Englebert was hitting a ton, and Kyle's popped in 15 goals in his last 28 GP)

Keith Kinkaid is Ahmad Abdul-Rahim (mostly because he seems just kooky enough to climb a tree in his skivvies if his team were to suffer an especially brutal loss...wonder if he found a tree in San Jose...)

Miles Wood is Tanner Boyle (just a general kind of nuts, and lovable in spite of himself)

Brian Boyle is Regi Tower (most people won't remember that character, because he was quiet, unassuming and barely there, just like Boyle's been for quite a while now)

Damon Severson is Rudy Stein (Severson just seems so nervous and shaky at times) 

And sadly, for the moment, Cory Schneider has become Timmy Lupus...BUT, Lupus does make a nice catch at the end of the movie, just when everyone thought he was completely useless.  I have this feeling that Cory's going to get a start almost out of necessity, and everyone's going to scream WTF WHYYYYYYYY?!, and he's going to surprise the sh!t out of all of us with a big game.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

Honestly I had to turn the game off when Car went up 2-1.  I just couldn't handle it at that moment.  I did turn it back on with like 6 mins to go.  I don't know if my heart can handle these games!

I do the same thing, feel like i'm jinxing the boys, and say, Oh here it comes.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In some ways, the Devils truly remind me of the Bad News Bears.  Those Bears could look so bad at times, yet at the end of the movie they were going tit-for-tat with the best team in their league. 

Taylor Hall is our Kelly Leak (no explanation needed)

Nico Hischier is Amanda Whurlitzer (not saying he's feminine, but he definitely a star in the making, and quite the important player)

Kyle Palmieri is Mike Englebert (no Kyle isn't fat, but as the season goes on, he keeps getting better...by the end of the movie Englebert was hitting a ton, and Kyle's popped in 15 goals in his last 28 GP)

Keith Kinkaid is Ahmad Abdul-Rahim (mostly because he seems just kooky enough to climb a tree in his skivvies if his team were to suffer an especially brutal loss...wonder if he found a tree in San Jose...)

Miles Wood is Tanner Boyle (just a general kind of nuts, and lovable in spite of himself)

Brian Boyle is Regi Tower (most people won't remember that character, because he was quiet, assuming and barely there, just like Boyle's been for quite a while now)

Damon Severson is Rudy Stein (Severson just seems so nervous and shaky at times) 

And sadly, for the moment, Cory Schneider has become Timmy Lupus...BUT, Lupus does make a nice catch at the end of the movie, just when everyone thought he was completely useless.  I have this feeling that Cory's going to get a start almost out of necessity, and everyone's going to scream WTF WHYYYYYYYY?!, and he's going to surprise the sh!t out of all of us with a big game.

This post is one of the most accurate and hilarious posts I've read!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great clutch win last night.  The rollercoaster ride continues.  Too bad the Oilers couldn't provide us with some help after going up 3-0 on CBJ. 

I thought the crowd was amazing last night, for a Tuesday night game vs. Carolina.  Place was loud and the fans seem to be in playoff mode already.  And the in arena ops team finally got smart by letting Baumann do his chant instead of playing music or the organ over it during a break in the action. 

• Like 2

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the game thread, but Butcher got a couple of shoutouts for his Assist totals (so far) this year. Nice article about him on nhl.com yesterday too - he said he "relishes" playing on this team.   ETA article link:  https://www.nhl.com/news/rookie-will-butcher-making-strong-impact-with-new-jersey/c-297308024

Craig Seiden‏ @CraigSeiden  Will Butcher recorded two assists tonight. That is #35 and #36 on the season. That's 23rd all-time on the @NHL rookie defenseman assists list. He tied Zach Werenski's (Columbus) total from 2016-17. #NJDevils

Chris Ryan‏ Verified account @ChrisRyan_NJ   Butcher gets the secondary assist for his 35th (and, later, 36th) of the season, setting a new record for assists by a Devils rookie defenseman.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
ETA link to article
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Pffft selfish locker room cancer.  Maybe he should spend less time partying and more time focusing on team activities.

To be fair you can do all those things for kids and all, and still be a locker room cancer. 

Obviously not saying Hall is one. But it's 2 completely different things lol 

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

To be fair you can do all those things for kids and all, and still be a locker room cancer. 

Obviously not saying Hall is one. But it's 2 completely different things lol 

Subban shade detected

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Pffft selfish locker room cancer.  Maybe he should spend less time partying and more time focusing on team activities.

Not saying this is the case specifically with Hall, but sometimes guys do grow up, make mistakes and learn from them, and become better people (or better teammates).  And sometimes it's a trade that can force the beginnings of genuine introspection. 

In Hall's case, I think Edmonton making the playoffs without him (which had more than one person wondering "Maybe Larsson for Hall wasn't as lopsided as it looked initially") came as a real wake-up call...apparently he really was wondering "Maybe it's me" when that happened, and Shero having that serious talk with him over dinner before this year, I think those were the first steps towards him blossoming, not just as a player, but as a person.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is the happiest and most at ease with himself he's ever been as a pro.  Glad it's happening here. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not saying this is the case specifically with Hall, but sometimes guys do grow up, make mistakes and learn from them, and become better people (or better teammates).  And sometimes it's a trade that can force the beginnings of genuine introspection. 

In Hall's case, I think Edmonton making the playoffs without him (which had more than one person wondering "Maybe Larsson for Hall wasn't as lopsided as it looked initially") came as a real wake-up call...apparently he really was wondering "Maybe it's me" when that happened, and Shero having that serious talk with him over dinner before this year, I think those was the first steps towards him blossoming, not just as a player, but as a person.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is the happiest and most at ease with himself he's ever been as a pro.  Glad it's happening here. 

Re: the bolded. And Hynes was involved with that off-season Hall intervention as well. And no matter how anyone feels about some of the decisions Hynes has made this year, he gets a lot of credit for the year Hall has had.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Re: the bolded. And Hynes was involved with that off-season Hall intervention as well. And no matter how anyone feels about some of the decisions Hynes has made this year, he gets a lot of credit for the year Hall has had.

I think Hall also said as much, that Hynes putting responsibility and accountability on him was a huge factor to the way he's playing this season.

• Like 1