New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Almost forgot to start a new thread for a new season

Doesn't really feel like Opening Day (Thursday, still in March, lousy weather) but I'll be damned if it isn't here already.  At least they have a (mostly) healthy outfit coming north other than Vargas ironically enough.  People keep talking about the Mets' starting pitching as the key and it is but the bullpen is still very questionable to me and could be the reason why we come up short in the end.  Offensively they are what they are, a top-heavy, power-heavy lineup that'll mash some and have some K-crazy weeks but they sure as shooting need Ces to play 140+ games this year.

It would also be nice if you could hear Mets being interviewed on local stations today (or any day) but because of their stupid exclusivity with WOR all you get apart from the game telecast and pregame is Ed Coleman on WFAN and reporters there and on ESPN Radio.  Amazing how only the Mets seem to have issues with a local media blackout in NY.

And now it feels even less like Opening Day with Rusty's passing.

Edited by NJDevs4978

RIP Rusty. 

I'm so into Devils hockey at the moment that the Mets are barely on my radar.  That will change, but it's nice that the Devils are so relevant and in the middle of a serious playoff chase. 

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

RIP Rusty. 

I'm so into Devils hockey at the moment that the Mets are barely on my radar.  That will change, but it's nice that the Devils are so relevant and in the middle of a serious playoff chase. 

I agree but ironically I’m probably gonna get to watch/listen to more of the Met game than the Devils tonight, not really by choice though lol

Some interesting lineup choices today:

-Cabrera batting 4th over Frazier

-Thor batting 8th and Rosario 9th (with those two in particular I’m okay with it but normally I’d roll my eyes)

-Plawecki starting on OD, perhaps as much because it’s Thor as because he earned it but the catchers are at least gonna have to earn PT this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I agree but ironically I’m probably gonna get to watch/listen to more of the Met game than the Devils tonight, not really by choice though lol

Some interesting lineup choices today:

-Cabrera batting 4th over Frazier

-Thor batting 8th and Rosario 9th (with those two in particular I’m okay with it but normally I’d roll my eyes)

-Plawecki starting on OD, perhaps as much because it’s Thor as because he earned it but the catchers are at least gonna have to earn PT this year.

Managers are finally starting to take a sabes approach to putting together a lineup...that you put your best hitters higher-up, as they'll then get more ABs over the course of a season.  You may be seeing the beginning of the end of the cleanup hitter batting fourth, or your flat-out best hitter hitting third. 

I think Plaw is going to get a legit shot to become the Mets everyday catcher in due time...especially if he's outhitting d'Arnaud early on.

I've always hated opening day being a day game. If you want to have it as a day game then start the season on a Saturday. Otherwise would much rather have it at night. Though yea I do understand this time of year weather can be sketchy and night games can be brutally cold. Still I'd rather actually have the actual ability to watch this game:P

WFAN was initially kicking themselves. First year after being booted from the network they were in the World Series. But long term yes, Yankees are going to be the more profitable franchise that you'd want to hitch your wagon too. WFAN still remains a Mets station though in terms of callers and on air discussion. It's kind of a weird dynamic. 

Edited by '7'

I'm fine with Cabrera in the 4 hole over Frazier. He's got some pop and gets on base. Curious to see how Frazier does here early on. Will it be a Granderson/Bruce strikeout fest where he can't make contact for weeks or will he hit the ground running?

I like Rosario around 8-9. Keeps the pressure off. At times he looked OK last year. At others horribly over-matched reaching for things a mile outside. He didn't look quite ready at the plate. In the sample we saw last season I can't say I saw somebody that I thought would be a star in the making

Gotta love it when you can score a run without a hit.  Of course Cespedes strikes out and Frazier grounds into a DP, fvck them both, lol. 

Mets miss out on a big chance to blow the game open early, but Cespedes drives in a pair.  Nice AB by Bruce to walk on nine pitches (2 BB in first two PA).  Martinez approaching 60 pitches through two IP. 

Strange thing about Yadier Molina, this is only his second HR against the Met since the home run 12 years ago. Not watching the game so don't know if it was mentioned on the broadcast. And this is in over 270 ab's against us. And while he has hit .320 against us...only 20something RBI's. I mean Chipper Jones would do that in a year.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Strange thing about Yadier Molina, this is only his second HR against the Met since the home run 12 years ago. Not watching the game so don't know if it was mentioned on the broadcast. And this is in over 270 ab's against us. And while he has hit .320 against us...only 20something RBI's. I mean Chipper Jones would do that in a series.

Fixed.

Odd game for Thor...0 BB and 10 K, but 3 runs allowed (including Molina's two-run jack). 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fixed.

Odd game for Thor...0 BB and 10 K, but 3 runs allowed (including Molina's two-run jack). 

Molina got a hold of one but if it's a few inches over it misses the pole and Thor is working on a gem. The ball is jumping just like the MLB wants it so solid, clean 8 inning 3 hit double digit K performances are going to be super rare for the foreseeable future. Happy with Thor's performance overall. Now they've given him a lead and he has to turn in two scoreless and get it to the 8th  

Cespedes with his third ribbie of the day, now 7-3.  Looks like Thor should leave with a win today.  Rough relief outing for Bowman.

Make that 8-3.  Jay Bruce even steals a base, lmao.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Noah's day is done.  6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 10 K, 2 HR allowed.  Not too bad. 

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cespedes with his third ribbie of the day, now 7-3.  Looks like Thor should leave with a win today.  Rough relief outing for Bowman.

Make that 8-3.  Jay Bruce even steals a base, lmao.

That's one thing the Mets totally abandoned the last few years. Base stealing. Granted they are a slugging team and you don't want to see them run their way out of big innings, but I would like to see them run a bit more and prove that they can scratch runs out when the big bats go cold.

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Noah's day is done.  6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 10 K, 2 HR allowed.  Not too bad. 

Technically not a quality start but I'll take it given we seem to be having a juiced ball game here :P

Honestly it is a bit encouraging seeing all this production from Plawecki, Nimmo and Rosario.  One game sure, but all three guys who spent a lot of time in the minors last year contributing.  Good thing for Gonzo he got a couple of hits too or we'd already be starting the countdown toward Bruce at first.  As it is I'm wondering how the hell they get Nimmo any time when Conforto gets back, he's earning a starting job bigtime.

So far so good this afternoon...deGrom settling down after a couple of hairy innings and running up his pitch count early - d'Arnaud and Yo with solo shots and Frazier gets his first big hit as a Met.  Hopefully we can get one more out of Jake at least and the pen doesn't blow it up.

And another one in the books, 6-2 final.  Changing the lineup didn't really stop the hitting for one day at least.  Cabrera in the leadoff spot had a big day.  Familia did his usual Familia thing at the end and struggled to a 30+ pitch (four out) save.  Bad news being Swarzak has a strained oblique muscle after having a good first weekend in a Met uniform.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Nice start, but of course someone had to get hurt.  Baseball gods were going to start fvcking with us sooner or later.

Now we'll see what the "other" Mets starting pitchers have.

What can you say about deGrom. Even if he doesn't have his best stuff you can always count on him to figure things out, battle, and not let the game get out of hand and the team buried. Nerves of steel and a true thinking mans pitcher.  It really seems like the past few years he hasn't been rewarded enough with W's for the fine work he's done. Hopefully this can be the year he wins 17-20.

13 hours ago, '7' said:

What can you say about deGrom. Even if he doesn't have his best stuff you can always count on him to figure things out, battle, and not let the game get out of hand and the team buried. Nerves of steel and a true thinking mans pitcher.  It really seems like the past few years he hasn't been rewarded enough with W's for the fine work he's done. Hopefully this can be the year he wins 17-20.

And then there's his opposite(s).  Like Steve Matz.  Great first game pal.  fvck off.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And then there's his opposite(s).  Like Steve Matz.  Great first game pal.  fvck off.

lol I hadn't actually looked at the score all day being at an Easter dinner and forgot to check Twitter...this is all the recap I need :P

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's quite literally Niese. Couldn't finish off anybody with two strikes yesterday. Then was short and snippy in the postgame. He doesn't have that bulldog mentality and doesn't strike me as someone who will ever become a winner.

Nice crisp pair of games from the Mets pitchingwise although Thor was too inefficient today and Harvey only went five yesterday though even his five was encouraging.  Our questionable pen has so far held up and they did just enough offensively to get to 4-1 with another big shot from Yo and Rosario's tie-breaking triple.

Actually listened to some of the Facebook game but I'd have been better off with Howie and Lewin.  Not that I don't like Cliffy (Floyd) and John Kruk's whatever but I wasn't really watching it anyway.