New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Feels like a bit of smoke-and-mirrors at the moment...doesn't mean I won't happily take this start to the season, but Harvey is still not good.  And it's going to get very ugly with this offense at times. 

At least they are getting their actual #3 starter back at some point (Vargas), if Matz can be semi-competent -and semi-healthy - then Harvey can throw up his junk as the #5 :P 

I'm not gonna lie I'd rather have Lugo starting than Harvey atm, or Wheeler on Wednesday but if he becomes Chad Green circa last year that's pretty valuable too.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

At least they are getting their actual #3 starter back at some point (Vargas), if Matz can be semi-competent -and semi-healthy - then Harvey can throw up his junk as the #5 :P 

I'm not gonna lie I'd rather have Lugo starting than Harvey atm, or Wheeler on Wednesday but if he becomes Chad Green circa last year that's pretty valuable too.

I'm with you, I know everyone's talking about the "new" Matt Harvey, but what I saw tonight was same ol same ol.  His stuff just isn't that great anymore, and even if some want to say that he gutted it out, he lasted just five innings and with a little less luck, this game easily could've blown up on him.

I get the feeling he gets replaced in the rotation by June at the latest. 

I'm done with Wheeler myself...just feels like it's never going to happen for him. 

Yes I feel the old Harvey is gone for good and we will never see the overwhelmingly dominant stuff we once saw him harness. Maybe he's finally all there mentally, no longer distracted with trivial tabloid bs, but physically there's no semblance of domination. And I'd be shocked if it magically appears with the warm weather. Maybe he's righted his career enough to be a .500, 3.8-4ish era type starter...which isn't bad. You can make a living that way. But quite sad considering what he was just a short time ago.

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And I'll be darned if he does it only allowing a two-out double to Difo, but getting Eaton for the final out.  A freaking sweep of the Nationals in DC.  It's early but this team does have a little bit of a 2015-late 2016 type feel to it.

Whenever we sweep a big rival early in the series you always hear Mets fans refer to that critical 1986 early season sweep of the Cardinals and how that set the tone for the season. However none of our early season success in past years against Wash or Philly or Atlanta ever led to any sort of wire to wire domination stretch (I don't recall us taking Atlanta to the woodshed early in 06)

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's the bad thing about extra inning games, everyone tries to hit solo HR's although it shouldn't be as pronounced on the road when it doesn't really end the game.  Of course I'd still take this K-fest over the stupid put a man on second to start the inning college football version of extra innings they're doing in the minors this year.

And having an April Sunday night game should just be outlawed.  I know April games in cold-weather cities can't be avoided, but at night this early...really?  Should have put Ohtani on at night :P

It worries me that that idiotic Torre suggestion got any sort of traction. It is beyond stupid and should've never seen the light of day.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Whenever we sweep a big rival early in the series you always hear Mets fans refer to that critical 1986 early season sweep of the Cardinals and how that set the tone for the season. However none of our early season success in past years against Wash or Philly or Atlanta ever led to any sort of wire to wire domination stretch (I don't recall us taking Atlanta to the woodshed early in 06)

lol that was the EXACT comp Benigno brought up this morning on the FAN. I’m not willing to go there yet but if Dave Martinez is another Matt Williams maybe the Nats somehow implode. Having the most dynamic young leadoff hitter in baseball batting 6th is just another dopey jumping the shark with sabes move.

I just can’t see it with all their talent though unless a couple of the big pitchers get hurt.

37 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol that was the EXACT comp Benigno brought up this morning on the FAN. I’m not willing to go there yet but if Dave Martinez is another Matt Williams maybe the Nats somehow implode. Having the most dynamic young leadoff hitter in baseball batting 6th is just another dopey jumping the shark with sabes move.

I just can’t see it with all their talent though unless a couple of the big pitchers get hurt.

Those 86 parallels always irk me, mainly because that team won what...98 or 99 games the year before? Everybody in the baseball world knew they were primed and ready and the World Series window was open. They were a top 4 or 5 team in baseball. 86 casts such a massive shadow when you think about it. And yea Trea Turner 6th just had me shaking my head. But you know what let this dope reinvent the wheel. Hopefully he's one of those managers that consistently outsmarts himself

The Marlins are trash. And the Mets need to beat up on them all year. I want a sweep here and 10-1.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Those 86 parallels always irk me, mainly because that team won what...98 or 99 games the year before? Everybody in the baseball world knew they were primed and ready and the World Series window was open. They were a top 4 or 5 team in baseball. 86 casts such a massive shadow when you think about it. And yea Trea Turner 6th just had me shaking my head. But you know what let this dope reinvent the wheel. Hopefully he's one of those managers that consistently outsmarts himself

The Marlins are trash. And the Mets need to beat up on them all year. I want a sweep here and 10-1.

In a different (wild card) world that 1985 team could've easily won a WS...but I'm sure there's lots of teams in history that could make the same boast.  The rules were what they were back then, and the Cards did just enough to beat the Mets out. 

Yeah, starting with 1984 it was becoming clear that the Mets were on a serious trajectory...and in a way, dumping George Foster in 1986 was almost a way of saying "That's it, we're purging the links to the loser Mets." 

To me, this is a Met team that isn't a continuation of anything, even with much of the starting pitching from 2015 finally being healthy...the manager is brand new, and it just feels more like a fresh start. 

That being said, based on what I've seen so far, this feels like a team that isn't a 90-win, unless they get a lot of breaks.  They're not as good as their 7-1 record suggests. 

Anyone starting to wonder about Rosario's bat yet?  I know he's a kid and we're only 10 games into 2018, but in 53 MLB games, he's walked exactly 4 times and struck out 59.  I hope he's a dynamite glove, because he looks like he's really going to be a black hole offensively...not sure if he ever becomes a consistent 100 OPS+ hitter.  He's a little too close to Rey Ordonez (though to be fair, Ordonez had one of the worst bats ever for a major leaguer...an OPS+ of 58.  Rosario is at 74.)

Ok Thor...just stomp this team now.  No excuses.

Rosario didn't help much with an error in the 5th, but it looks like as long as Noah finds his groove again, he should pitch into the 7th inning.  That will be a nice switch. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Guess we'll be lucky if Noah can get through six IP tonight with the lead intact.  Considering the opponent and the start he got off to, kind of ending his night on a whimper.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So yet another coaching staff is trying to make Hansel Robles into a late-inning guy, and another coaching staff is finding it doesn't work :P

He got out of it, but man is he impossible to feel good about.  You're just waiting for the implosion.  He can get into a groove for a while as we've seen, but I'm not fooled by that any more.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Anyone starting to wonder about Rosario's bat yet?  I know he's a kid and we're only 10 games into 2018, but in 53 MLB games, he's walked exactly 4 times and struck out 59.  I hope he's a dynamite glove, because he looks like he's really going to be a black hole offensively...not sure if he ever becomes a consistent 100 OPS+ hitter.  He's a little too close to Rey Ordonez (though to be fair, Ordonez had one of the worst bats ever for a major leaguer...an OPS+ of 58.  Rosario is at 74.)

I seem to recall Reyes having the same issues early on in his career. Absolutely never walked, then it progressively got better. Rosario is projected to be a good offensive player. I'd be shocked if he's still hovering around black hole territory by the end of this season. He does have a couple of hits today and an RBI which is good to see

What a tomb this stadium is. Somehow it's deader than it seemed last year.

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

What an annoying 6th. Two 3-2 K's with the bases loaded. Such an opportunity to blow this game up on the garbage fish. Have to give some credit to Barraclough, he made some amazing pitches.

As long as Passive Uncreative continues to favor power at the expense of all else, this is what we'll get.  Heaven forbid these guys ever modify their approaches with two strikes.  And Bruce was a little too eager to draw a walk...seemed like he had his mind made up before the pitch was thrown.

Thor was disappointing tonight, crazy as it sounds...gotta do better than 6 IP on a night like this, and better than 15 IP through three starts. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Though strangely Ordonez didn't K all that much for his inept bat. I remember 1999 was an encouraging year for him (and our lineup was outright stacked that year) but the next year he fell off a cliff and then promptly broke his arm (or some bone) on a broken up double play in LA I believe.

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

I seem to recall Reyes having the same issues early on in his career. Absolutely never walked, then it progressively got better. Rosario is projected to be a good offensive player. I'd be shocked if he's still hovering around black hole territory by the end of this season. He does have a couple of hits today and an RBI which is good to see

What a tomb this stadium is. Somehow it's deader than it seemed last year.

Yeah, that building has always felt incredibly lifeless.  Just some thing very blah about it.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As long as Passive Uncreative continues to favor power at the expense of all else, this is what we'll get.  Heaven forbid these guys ever modify their approaches with two strikes.  And Bruce was a little too eager to draw a walk...seemed like he had his mind made up before the pitch was thrown.

Thor was disappointing tonight, crazy as it sounds...gotta do better than 6 IP on a night like this, and better than 15 IP through three starts. 

If you're Harper or Jeter or some elite slugger, you may get that 3-2 pitch to Bruce as ball 4 and get a nice cheap bases loaded walk RBI. But you're not getting that if you're Jay Bruce. That was way too close to call and he has to be protecting there

We have to start getting some more length from our starters and soon because the pen IS shaky and will start showing its warts sooner than we'd like if we keep getting these 5ip short starts nightly. Somebody has got to carry a game into the 7th or heaven forbid 8th every so often

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Though strangely Ordonez didn't K all that much for his inept bat. I remember 1999 was an encouraging year for him (and our lineup was outright stacked that year) but the next year he fell off a cliff and then promptly broke his arm (or some bone) on a broken up double play in LA I believe.

The one thing he could do was make contact with almost anything.  And yeah, he just never really built off 1999...he was passable that season.  With his defense I would've taken 1999-type seasons from him every year.

I kinda remember his teammates not being fond of him...supposedly he was extremely immature and had a way of irritating people...I remember a story about Luis Lopez popping him in the face on the team bus.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

If you're Harper or Jeter or some elite slugger, you may get that 3-2 pitch to Bruce as ball 4 and get a nice cheap bases loaded walk RBI. But you're not getting that if you're Jay Bruce. That was way too close to call and he has to be protecting there

We have to start getting some more length from our starters and soon because the pen IS shaky and will start showing its warts sooner than we'd like if we keep getting these 5ip short starts nightly. Somebody has got to carry a game into the 7th or heaven forbid 8th every so often

Speaking of Bruce...yet another example of how poor his defense is...a speedier RF gets that ball.  But Passive also ignores defense (as long as you can hit some HR, it's OK in Metland). 

Wow, brutal AB by Rojas.  Really helped Familia out.  One more out...

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of Bruce...yet another example of how poor his defense is...a speedier RF gets that ball.  But Passive also ignores defense (as long as you can hit some HR, it's OK in Metland). 

Wow, brutal AB by Rojas.  Really helped Familia out.  One more out...

Even an average outfielder gets to that ball. It was hit well but hung up long enough to go and get