New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

It wasn't pretty. The pen sputtered at time and the Brewers on a few occasions were a hit from turning this into a real annoying loss. But they hung on. Easy inning for Familia.

11-1 and now 6 ahead of the Nationals

Matz's start couldn't have possibly been more Niese-like.  This 'pen is going to be spent by mid-May if these damned starters don't start providing some length soon...this 5+ crap is getting old.

But this team somehow just keeps churning out victories.  Mets are now guaranteed to still be ahead of the Nats no matter what the outcome of their upcoming series.  And the Nats are trailing the Braves and Phillies as well.

If the Nats are still around .500 and/or are near 10 games out in late July, I'll start to feel like sure, maybe it's just not their year.  But this three-game set between the Nats and Mets is gaining importance by the day, especially for the Nats.  Once Murph comes back for them, I think that team is absolutely good enough to go on an extended rampage at some point, but you still don't want the gap to get too wide.

Another batting practice fastball from Harvey, belted for a HR.  Mets gotta pull the plug on him by the end of the month if he doesn't show something really soon.  

Cepedes in one of those "How does this guy ever get a hit?" kind of slumps.  

Frazier with a terrific AB just then.

Wow is Rosario offensive kryptonite.  I know he's gotta be out there because of his glove and for his overall development, but he's torture to watch at the plate.  Ordonez swung at everything too, but at least he was a pretty good contact hitter.

Looks like yet another Mets starter is going to struggle to get through five today.  Maddening. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sure the Mets are off to a great start, and they have some exciting young players like Amed Rosario, but unfortunately for you Mets fans, the Athletic says your team is a racist organization from top to bottom.

So all correct minded Mets fans couldn’t possibly enjoy the team’s success.  Instead you must all do penance until you are sufficiently woke.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same ol Harvey.  Not expecting much fight back out of him.  

I don't know what Bobby Cox was raving about in spring training. Harvey is absolutely nothing. He's never finding it again. He'll never dominate for any significant stretches. 

He may eventually mold himself into an effective 4th starter if he stays dedicated to his craft but, it's kind of sad to see considering how dominant we all remember him being.

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Sure the Mets are off to a great start, and they have some exciting young players like Amed Rosario, but unfortunately for you Mets fans, the Athletic says your team is a racist organization from top to bottom.

So all correct minded Mets fans couldn’t possibly enjoy the team’s success.  Instead you must all do penance until you are sufficiently woke.

Absolutely unfathomable that this passes as some sort of qualified journalistic statement nowadays, and that people can actually make tweets like this and think they'll ever be taken seriously. What is Lindsey trying to imply here with this outburst tweet? 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cepedes in one of those "How does this guy ever get a hit?" kind of slumps.  

Frazier with a terrific AB just then.

Wow is Rosario offensive kryptonite.  I know he's gotta be out there because of his glove and for his overall development, but he's torture to watch at the plate.  Ordonez swung at everything too, but at least he was a pretty good contact hitter.

Looks like yet another Mets starter is going to struggle to get through five today.  Maddening. 

Syndergaard had a great 4 innings today but that long, laborious 30+ pitch 1st pretty much guaranteed a short outing for him.

And he was under 100 I believe when Mickey pulled him but I don't think he wanted Thor pushing it on a day as frigid as this one. Fans are dressed up like it's the Winter Classic.

Edited by '7'

You just knew the small country we left on the basepaths today was going to hurt us. Pathetic job by both Rosario and Flores there as Gsellman got the 3rd out twice and both times the botched it up

Can't have Flores at 1st in that situation. Need someone who can catch a baseball and make a pick

Edited by '7'

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

Absolutely unfathomable that this passes as some sort of qualified journalistic statement nowadays, and that people can actually make tweets like this and think they'll ever be taken seriously. What is Lindsey trying to imply here with this outburst tweet? 

Here was my responses on twitter

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

That tw*t is too stupid to realize that by pointing that out, SHE'S a fvcking racist.  Not to mention that does she not realize that Dominic Smith came into 2018 with a shot to make the roster?

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That tw*t is too stupid to realize that by pointing that out, SHE'S a fvcking racist.  Not to mention that does she not realize that Dominic Smith came into 2018 with a shot to make the roster?

When I pointed out it was an obvious accusation that the Mets are a racist organization, the response I got was “I’m just pointing out a fact.”  It’s the SJW equivalent of when a conspiracy nut says “I’m just asking questions.”

• Thanks 1

Well it wasn't the best, crispest game but they did what they had to do and got a clutch solo home run from Flores in the bottom of the 9th. The bullpen teetered all game but never collapsed. Ramos was infuriating letting up a pair of walks but was bailed out by Blevins. Robles had one of those game where he teases. 8 pitch clean inning. 

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well it wasn't the best, crispest game but they did what they had to do and got a clutch solo home run from Flores in the bottom of the 9th. The bullpen teetered all game but never collapsed. Ramos was infuriating letting up a pair of walks but was bailed out by Blevins. Robles had one of those game where he teases. 8 pitch clean inning. 

I'll never trust Robles, ever, but at least he bounced back after giving up a moonshot last night.  

Mets win their series against the Nats and they're seven games up...just seventeen games into their season.  

Still feels like there's a lot of smoke and mirrors so far, but I'll keep taking these early wins.  They may very well be what gets the Mets into the postseason.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

When I pointed out it was an obvious accusation that the Mets are a racist organization, the response I got was “I’m just pointing out a fact.”  It’s the SJW equivalent of when a conspiracy nut says “I’m just asking questions.”

So perfectly said.  Could not possibly agree more.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not even just that but it's not 1947 anymore...it's not like the Mets have NEVER had a significant African-American contingency on the team, and they've had the same ownership since the late '80's.  Plus racist organizations aren't going to be loaded with Latin-Americans up and down the roster.  It's improbable at best to have discrimination against one group, but not another. 

It's more indiciative of the declining African-American presence around baseball in general than anything else but if that was her point she should have just said it instead of going for 'just stating a fact' without context to be intentionally provocative.  Most of this generation's inner city youth are gravitating toward football and basketball before baseball in the USA whereas in Latin America baseball's still number one by far.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not even just that but it's not 1947 anymore...it's not like the Mets have NEVER had a significant African-American contingency on the team, and they've had the same ownership since the late '80's.  Plus racist organizations aren't going to be loaded with Latin-Americans up and down the roster.  It's improbable at best to have discrimination against one group, but not another. 

It's more indiciative of the declining African-American presence around baseball in general than anything else but if that was her point she should have just said it instead of 'just stating a fact' without context to be provocative.  Most of this generation's gravitating toward football and basketball before baseball in the USA whereas in Latin America baseball's still number one by far.

The most recent SJW theory is "implicit bias."  Basically, the Mets and other organizations that don't have a sufficient number of players and personnel that are descended from American slaves (since players that are descended from slaves owned by Spaniards don't count) are run by people who subconsciously believe that said descendants all of the sudden aren't as good at baseball anymore and don't care that they're missing out on the next Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey or Tony Gwynn.  You think I'm kidding, but there are actually "implicit bias" tests that big companies are forcing their employees to take to show how subconsciously racist they all really are.  (Scientology tests for thetin levels are more rigorously examined than implicit bias tests, but that's a whole other ball of wax).

Curious if they try to get the game in tonight. I think the rain is supposed to move out of our area by 6. Nats would be in a tough spot today with Hellickson (awful 2017 season) going up against deGrom. Nats can't really afford to get swept again as it would leave them 9 out and the Mets would be sitting there at a very imposing 15-2.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Curious if they try to get the game in tonight. I think the rain is supposed to move out of our area by 6. Nats would be in a tough spot today with Hellickson (awful 2017 season) going up against deGrom. Nats can't really afford to get swept again as it would leave them 9 out and the Mets would be sitting there at a very imposing 15-2.

Nats really need to at least win the series.  Anything less, and they're leaving either 7 games or 9 games back.  

Kind of amazing that the Mets are already 10 games over .500...if they go .500 the rest of the way, that's an 86-76 record. 

12 hours ago, '7' said:

I don't know how Colon is doing this. I thought his career finally petered out last season. Yet somehow, for now, he's revived it.

And in Texas, in the American League

Also after leaving the Phillies for dead they’ve won six in a row. It’d be nice to knock the Nats down but suddenly they’re not our only threat.

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And in Texas, in the American League

Also after leaving the Phillies for dead they’ve won six in a row. It’d be nice to knock the Nats down but suddenly they’re not our only threat.

I can't take the Phillies or Braves seriously until I see where they are in late June/early July...just like I don't necessarily buy into the Nats in for a long year due to their slow start.  But it sure would be nice for the Mets to keep building a cushion on them while they can.  Especially since I don't see the Mets as winning any more than 90 games on the season. 

Really would like to see Nimmo start getting some playing time, one way or another...love that he's so different than the same ol same ol Mets hitters of the Sandy era.  Just don't know how it can be done.  Cespedes is obviously going to keep playing no matter how bad he looks (and he'll get it going at some point).