New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Harvey's "ME ME ME" quotes are just impossible to take now.  Great Matt, you threw some scoreless innings after you basically gave your team zero chance to win the game. 

This guy is now 9-19 in his last 40 starts, with a 5.80 ERA, and the numbers are awful:  206.1 IP, 247 H, 133 ER, 33 HR, 76 BB, 160 K, 1.57 WHIP. 

In his last three starts, he's pitched 16 innings and given up 25 hits, four of which were home runs.  NOTHING I've seen so far has led me to believe that it's going to get better any time soon, if ever.  Not one thing.

You're a starting pitcher alright Matt.  A very bad one.  A couple of garbage-time zeroes last night aren't going to change that.  And thanks to a surprising start, this Mets team has a chance to challenge for a playoff spot...so sorry Matt, they're not in a position where they can wait for yet another season for you to get your sh!t together.  Amscray.

And Reyes the Loser is now 0-for-20 so far.  Maybe someone can tell him that the early months (when your team is actually playing for something) count too.  No one gives a flying fvck about what you did last season, when you came to life with absolutely NOTHING on the line. 

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

:rolleyes:

It's just amazing two and a half years ago Harvey was at least a top twenty starting pitcher in baseball if not higher.  But his career's never been the same since the ninth inning of Game 5.  I know he's had arm issues and such since then but I think that kind of ego hit psychologically did him in just like Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas did him in, and Tiger Woods' skeletons coming to public light did him in.

And it was on Terry entirely. Everybody could see he was fried and had to come out of the game. Of course idiot old school Terry just go right ahead I'll leave you in well past your expiration point.

The velocity just isn't quite there yet. Seems better than last year but it's not where he needs to be. He doesn't have the jump on his fastball, doesn't have his pinpoint control. He doesn't even show flashes of his old dominant self. It would be encouraging if perhaps yes, he gives up say 4 runs in two inning...but then blows away the next 5 consecutive batters on K's. That would at least show us some of the old Harvey is there.

19 minutes ago, '7' said:

And it was on Terry entirely. Everybody could see he was fried and had to come out of the game. Of course idiot old school Terry just go right ahead I'll leave you in well past your expiration point.

The velocity just isn't quite there yet. Seems better than last year but it's not where he needs to be. He doesn't have the jump on his fastball, doesn't have his pinpoint control. He doesn't even show flashes of his old dominant self. It would be encouraging if perhaps yes, he gives up say 4 runs in two inning...but then blows away the next 5 consecutive batters on K's. That would at least show us some of the old Harvey is there.

It's really gotten to the point where they can't just hope that Harvey's going to magically figure things out...I know it's the Met way (just hope for the best, the way they've done for years with d'Arnaud, despite an injury history that extends back to the MINORS, and of course the David Wright saga...and Rafael Montero...), but at some point, break character.  Harvey should be in AA ball right now...I don't send him to AAA because the last place he needs to be is in the PC Hell.  But he needs to relearn his craft with this lesser stuff...he's clearly not making the adjustments necessary at the major league level, and the Mets aren't in the position to wait for his arm to come around.  Somehow a very iffy Mets team got off to an 11-1 start...that means 79-71 from that point gets you 90 wins.  84-66 gets you to 95...if the Mets can just tread water for a while and not blow this start, they can have a very surprising season.  But that means actually, FINALLY, holding some fvcking players accountable, JUST ONCE. 

Yeah big early-season win for sure.  Still don't really know about Atlanta and Philly, but right now both teams are right there...would be nice to hold them off.

I hope Thor starts pitching like an ace soon...he's been more pretty good (albeit with a lot of Ks) than flat-out dominant.

Outstanding decision and absolutely necessary. Can't let him go out there and give this team no chance from the get-go. Figure it out or your gone. You have no use for us pitching like horsesh!t start after start. Every day your brief string of dominance fades further and further into oblivion

I'm about 50/50 Harvey even finishes the season with the Mets

https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/mets-demote-matt-harvey-to-bullpen/

ATLANTA — Matt Harvey’s immediate fate has been decided: He is headed to the Mets’ bullpen.

Manager Mickey Callaway reached the decision Saturday after lefty Jason Vargas was cleared medically to pitch in a rehab game for Triple-A Las Vegas. Vargas will join the rotation in San Diego next weekend, with Harvey available from the bullpen beginning Tuesday.

Harvey, who has pitched to a 6.00 ERA in four starts this season, was not thrilled with the demotion, telling Callaway he is “pissed off” and “motivated” to show he still belongs in the rotation, according to Callaway.

Edited by '7'

Oh fvck off Matt.  All talk, no action.  Same ol same ol.  Just suck less.

31 minutes ago, '7' said:

Doesn't matter what kind of season Teheran is having, he always seems to handle us quite well

Some guys just have your number.

The Ks with Cespedes are almost getting comical now. 

Mets get a lucky break on the second stolen base becoming an out, but Sandy needs to get a real catcher soon. 

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

bad spot for Ramos here in the 8th with a 3 run lead. This guy is a walk machine

Ugh I just can't trust this guy...I'm glad he's only on a one-year deal but I wish they hadn't bothered with the trade last year and just re-signed Reed in the offseason.

Can't get on Familia too much this year, but after a nice ending to the 8th it's 5 straight out of the zone to Swanson and then to whatever 0-5 in 2018 PH they have up there. Maddening

Just had to bring AJ Ramos into the 8th

Edited by '7'

New stadium, but a Turner Field loss right there. Sorry deGrom. Should've known something was up when they panned to Chipper Jones in the crowd

How the fvck does that ball not only get passed Cabrera AND split the outfielders? That looked like a DP grounder off the bat. Bunch of fvcking clowns. How about not fvcking walking Swanson on 4 pitches you gag artist. How about catching a routine line out Frazier. Now Familia is rattled so he'll either bounce one over the catcher head or hit a guy

3-0 in the 8th you win this damn game

Edited by '7'

Kinda knew it was over when Familia walked the leadoff hitter in the ninth.  He's a hard guy to trust now, even with his season off to a good start.

Sandy is one of those arrogant GMs who ignores obvious flaws when he brings guys in.  Ramos walks guys.  Not much of a shock that he's doing the same now.

But the offense had chances to tack on and didn't.  There's blame to go around on this one.

A little extra rest for the pen and the starting pitching...I'll take it.