New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, '7' said:

He loved it here and wanted to be the toast of the town with a supermodel on each arm. But the town got the best of him and his stuff just flat out died after those injuries.

The velocity isn't there, all his stuff is flat and lifeless. There is no way he'll find himself again (in that ballpark no less) and at his age. The Mets really did try to make it work with him but they had to cut the cord. He couldn't be a redeemed. He's a bad pitcher and a rotten person. Long run the team will be so much better off with him gone

I don't think he ever cared or appreciated anything the Mets organization did for him. From the start even. We were always a stepping stone for him to get to the Yankees.

I don't disagree with the above (and if Harvey is capable of "flicking the switch", man does that make HIM look horrible, if it turns out he really was dogging it to hasten his exit), but it's fair to say that the Mets weren't perfect here either...and given their many MANY gaffes, I can't blame Harvey for not trusting the organization much, if at all.  But I agree...I just think the stuff isn't there anymore, and if it comes back at all, he'll be maybe 50% of what he was.  Definitely not enough that any hindsighters can look back and blame the Mets for getting rid of him. 

Given everything that we know and have read about, I'd say Harvey comes off looking worse overall.  Basically a me-me-me attention and fame whore, and a fake Alpha Male tough guy, who unlike several other pitchers, was pretty much incapable of gutting things out with lesser stuff.  Also had that rare gift of knowing exactly what to say that would come off sounding just douchey to make more fans despise him.  It's a shame, because things couldn't have started off better here.  It's amazing how far he's fallen. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Public perception will be that but Warthen and Terry also had two years with him and he stunk pre-Callaway and Eiland just as much. If anything him flicking a switch and pitching well would tell me he was tanking here till he got out. All this talk about how he didn’t have fun in NY and he ‘can just worry about pitching’ raises an eyebrow.

Addressed this in my post to '7'...that's a fair point.  Not much Callaway and Eiland can do if a guy like Harvey is focused solely on getting away from New York.  Funny thing is no matter what he does, I can't see anyone willing to give him more than a one-year "Show me" contract after this season.  I think just about anyone willing to take any kind of flyer on him wants to see if he could have one decent full season before offering more years. 

Agree with '7' in that I think Harvey was probably eyeing the Yankees for years, and just though it'd be a matter of time before he'd leave the Mets in the dust and sign for buko bucks in the Bronx.  D'oh!

Mets looking absolutely comatose again against Jake Arrieta, who is looking like the guy we should've signed instead of trash Vargas. Calloway really needs to wake these clowns up. They need to wake themselves up because this is majorly embarrassing

Matz only 1 run through 5. Thought he was absolutely squeezed though tonight. Arrieta was gifted a much bigger zone

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Should've remembered they were playing in Citi Field South.

Man we OWN  this ballpark

Yep they (especially Conforto and Mesoraco) needed this game for their own sanity.  Mesoraco's now got a 1-21 record in his last 22 games as a starting catcher lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

This offense is a wreck. I never thought they'd be that great but with the talent they have they are way under-performing. They shouldn't be this bad

One thing's for sure, Collins ain't pulling deGrom yesterday. But 1 inning and a crazy 45 pitches...thought it was the right call.

Mets got unlucky they lost the Saturday matchup of Syndergaard vs. Elfin

4 hours ago, '7' said:

This offense is a wreck. I never thought they'd be that great but with the talent they have they are way under-performing. They shouldn't be this bad

One thing's for sure, Collins ain't pulling deGrom yesterday. But 1 inning and a crazy 45 pitches...thought it was the right call.

Mets got unlucky they lost the Saturday matchup of Syndergaard vs. Elfin

When you have three dead bats in the lineup on a daily basis (Rosario, the catchers, and the pitchers...not to mention other stiffs like Reyes off the bench), it makes slumps by the other hitters that much more glaring.  And of course, we know for some of the Mets' regulars, just hitting .250 is a challenge.  This is not a "hitting" team and never will be.  It's a team that lives and dies by HRs, with the main problem being that the guys who actually do hit HRs here are all very flawed and have severe limitations.  This offense never had a chance to be anything more than inconsistent at best.  It's more of the same...when a bunch of low BA high K power hitters go through a funk at the same time, it's very, very ugly. 

Agree, didn't really have an issue with Callaway pulling deGrom after that crazy inning...sometimes you just err on the side of caution.  Unfortunately it did feel like Callaway did overthink leaving Sewald in the game with the lefty coming up...Callaway pointed to the fact that Sewald's been better against lefties than Blevins this season (I think lefties were hitting about .280 vs Blevins and .220 vs Sewald), but obviously with this season being just 37 games old, that's really small-sample stuff...and Blevins was warmed up and ready to come into the game.  Why even have a situational lefty if you're not going to use him in a situation that screams for one?  

Really feels more and more like Sandy needs to wake the fvck up (good luck with that) and get someone in here that can actually help this team a little, before this season goes completely off the rails.  A yet-another-scrub catcher in the mix (who did have a nice moment with the HR) doesn't fit that description. 

Noah's given up a hit an inning, and is averaging less than 6 IP per start...sorry, that is just not good enough.  Eiland stirred the pot a little with some comments about Noah (how he hasn't really accomplished much, etc)...right now it does feel like Thor is getting the bare minimum out of his gift...doing just enough to keep people from saying "Wow, he really sucked today."  I've already said it, but enough with passable-to-pretty-good from a supposed ace. 

One of those games where the Mets bully up and pile on a lot of runs in garbage time...how many times have we seen that?  Will it surprise anyone if the Mets get shut out or score a run or two on 6 hits or less today? 

Reyes "rocking" a .388 OPS, and has seven hits all of this season.  SEVEN!  Once Frazier comes back, someone has to explain to me why he's still here.  Just cut him. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Noah's given up a hit an inning, and is averaging less than 6 IP per start...sorry, that is just not good enough.  Eiland stirred the pot a little with some comments about Noah (how he hasn't really accomplished much, etc)...right now it does feel like Thor is getting the bare minimum out of his gift...doing just enough to keep people from saying "Wow, he really sucked today."  I've already said it, but enough with passable-to-pretty-good from a supposed ace. 

One of those games where the Mets bully up and pile on a lot of runs in garbage time...how many times have we seen that?  Will it surprise anyone if the Mets get shut out or score a run or two on 6 hits or less today? 

Reyes "rocking" a .388 OPS, and has seven hits all of this season.  SEVEN!  Once Frazier comes back, someone has to explain to me why he's still here.  Just cut him. 

Yesterday I had high hopes early on. The 8 days rest he was popping 100mph on the radar gun I was certain he'd pitch into the 7th but it wasn't meant to be. Somehow he's just not able to put guys away cleanly. They are making more contact and the only explanation I have is that perhaps the juiced baseballs they're using just don't quite have the movement that the balls did up until 2016 or so.

I would like to know what exactly Eiland and Callaway bring to the pitching staff.  I don't want to completely overblow a pitching coach's role, but I can't say that I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. 

Dominic Smith is off to a VERY underwhelming start, as far as the PCL goes...slashing .277/.386/.412.  Just hope he's keeping the weight off.  The fact that first baseman Peter Alonso is shredding AA right now (.367/.478/.695) kinda makes one wonder how much longer Smith has in the organization (who have seemed to be down on him since his weight ballooned last season).  It takes a lot for Sandy to actually get upset with someone and want to move him (mostly because that would require genuine effort), but if Smith is still here beyond the 2019 season, I'll be very surprised.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Just as you predicted. After a 12 run outburst the comatose Mets are getting destroyed against the very hittable JA Happ.

Yep.  The more things never change, the more they stay the same.  Thanks again for NOTHING Sandy. 

So done with Zack Wheeler.  Time for the Mets to start moving on from some of these nothings.  If a new GM comes in here this offseason and wants to tear this thing down, I'm all for it.  I just don't want Sandy to be in charge of a such a thing.  He won't get enough back for the few marketable assets the Mets have.   

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As much as I'm in favor of putting Sandy out to pasture you just know the next GM's gonna be Ricco, who's likely Al Harazin part deux.  So basically I'm as apathetic about that as I am the team as a whole right now.

Sadly Has I don't think I can put up much of an argument on that one...you're probably right.  Don't see the Wilpons actually going all-out to bring in an outsider.   

And yeah, days like today are why I'm completely indifferent to the Mets right now...of COURSE they follow up a day like yesterday with a day like today...couldn't have been more predictable, and that's what I'm so tired of...how fvcking PREDICTABLE Sandy's Sad Sacks are.

I'm still watching, sure.  But far from deeply engaged.  In a way it's a good thing...really frees me up to spend my time in a lot of other ways.  But not even deGrom or Thor outings are enough to get me into "gotta watch THIS game mode".  When the franchise is apathetic from the owners right on down, kinda makes it really hard for the fans to give much of a damn. 

2015 might as well be 1986.  It really feels like that long ago already. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Harvey staked to a 4-0 lead in the first and immediately gives back two.  Kinda hard not to root against that guy...HARD...

It just never changes with us. All injury news is always bad news. Every single bump and bruise turns into something, be it 10 day DL or season ending if somebody falls over in the outfield you can chalk it don't he'll miss SOMETHING. while other teams guys just rub dirt on it and are fine. I

32 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Just like with TDA and Wheeler on a yearly basis...another fvcking surprise major injury.

Well this is what happens when the GM and others in the organization forever keep thinking that it will somehow be different this year with guys like this.  Of course d'Oh-No and Lagares get hurt.  THEY ALWAYS DO.  Because they simply can't survive the "rigors" of playing the game of baseball.

Mets need to get Lazy Sandy the fvck out of here, bring in a young and energetic GM (preferably someone from outside the organization) who can tear this thing down and undo Sandy's many mistakes, and start over.  There will never be any hope as long as Sandy is still here.  And I sure as hell don't trust him to oversee a rebuild.  His drafts have produced squat.

Brilliant outing by deGrom. 7 innings, 1 run, 100 pitches. Hitting 97 on the gun which actually worried me a bit especially coming off his little injury scare. Hope he wasn't pushing it too much.

God help this pen if they gag this game up

deGrom should teach Syndergaard how to pitch.  Syndergaard is a thrower with good stuff.  But not a pitcher.  

I feel for Jake.  The Mets really don't deserve him.

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

deGrom should teach Syndergaard how to pitch.  Syndergaard is a thrower with good stuff.  But not a pitcher.  

I feel for Jake.  The Mets really don't deserve him.

Absolutely. Syndergaard is just too cocky right now. He knows how dynamic his stuff is and he likes seeing 100mph on the radar gun. But crazy velocity...there are guys in this league who can time it and hit it 3 miles if that's all you're going to try and force feed them with. If you don't become more of a craftsman and somebody who keeps batters guessing and out of rhythm then you're not developing your skills to their full potential. Syndergaard is stubborn too but he really needs somebody to beat this into him

Conforto starting to hit is absolutely huge for this franchise