New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

For the love of fvcking God Sandy will you get Reyes the fvck out of here already?!  ENOUGH

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For the love of fvcking God Sandy will you get Reyes the fvck out of here already?!  ENOUGH

The level of unclutcheness is just mind boggling really. You'd figure in these situations he's by accident run into a few fastballs but it's always the same old song and dance for him.

But with Lagares injury, he's probably going to stick around. Was shagging fly balls in center the other day too

The offense is still nowhere but we got the first sign of the real Syndergaard. 7 strong. 1 run. 7k's. 

I would not run him out for the 8th at 102 pitches. That would be a Terry move trying to ruin this outing

3 hours ago, '7' said:

The level of unclutcheness is just mind boggling really. You'd figure in these situations he's by accident run into a few fastballs but it's always the same old song and dance for him.

But with Lagares injury, he's probably going to stick around. Was shagging fly balls in center the other day too

Reyes has always been a loser...but once upon a time he had a lot of natural talent (sadly he got the minimum out of it...he never chose to be a true student of the game).  His gifts are gone, and he has no idea how to compensate for it.  He's pretty much useless now, but apparently has carte blanche to keep hurting his team. 

About time Noah...but gotta give the Mets some credit here...they needed to get things turned around, and for now the season has backed away from the abyss.  Who knows for how long, but it's something.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Reyes has always been a loser...but once upon a time he had a lot of natural talent (sadly he got the minimum out of it...he never chose to be a true student of the game).  His gifts are gone, and he has no idea how to compensate for it.  He's pretty much useless now, but apparently has carte blanche to keep hurting his team. 

About time Noah...but gotta give the Mets some credit here...they needed to get things turned around, and for now the season has backed away from the abyss.  Who knows for how long, but it's something.

With Florida coming in and off a crushing loss, Mets have to sweep their sorry asses. Three more in a row would go a long way to erasing a chunk of that hideous stretch that we just came out of. Would be nice if Vargas wasn't hot garbage tomorrow as he has been every time he's taken the mound this year. 

Anthony DiComo @AnthonyDiComo 2m ago
Mutual interest b/w Mets and Jose Bautista on minor lg deal. Thought is Bautista could spend a few wks in Vegas to get more reps and see if he can get his swing back. 

Anthony DiComo @AnthonyDiComo 1m ago
Mets think he could provide big bat off bench and spot starter in RF/LF and corner IF spots.

8 hours ago, '7' said:

With Florida coming in and off a crushing loss, Mets have to sweep their sorry asses. Three more in a row would go a long way to erasing a chunk of that hideous stretch that we just came out of. Would be nice if Vargas wasn't hot garbage tomorrow as he has been every time he's taken the mound this year. 

Still feels like this team is pretty much a .500 team...sure, they'll have a series like they just did against the D'Backs, where you start to become hopeful again...but it would it surprise anyone if the Mets followed this up by losing two out of three to the Marlins?  And even if the Mets did sweep them, you just KNOW a 6 or 7-game losing streak is not too far around the corner.  That's what .500 teams do.  They tease, but they don't sustain, and find ways undo positive surges (like starting 11-1).  Also sucks when three starters are named Matz, Vargas, and Wheeler.  You can't depend on any of them to go on a sustained good run.  And in Matz's case, as we saw in the Mets' dugout, he's just not very mentally tough. 

re:  Bautista, this is what makes you crazy as a Met fan.  The Braves need all of a quarter of a season to realize that Bautista probably won't help them.  But not only is other's team trash apparently Sandy's treasure, the Mets currently employ a player who's equally worthless in Jose Reyes, yet apparently there's no way the Mets will just cut their losses. 

And on that note, as Vargas has a nice chunk of $$$ coming to him, he likely gets at least half the season before Lifeless Sandy dares to even consider a legit replacement for him. 

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Still feels like this team is pretty much a .500 team...sure, they'll have a series like they just did against the D'Backs, where you start to become hopeful again...but it would it surprise anyone if the Mets followed this up by losing two out of three to the Marlins?  And even if the Mets did sweep them, you just KNOW a 6 or 7-game losing streak is not too far around the corner.  That's what .500 teams do.  They tease, but they don't sustain, and find ways undo positive surges (like starting 11-1).  Also sucks when three starters are named Matz, Vargas, and Wheeler.  You can't depend on any of them to go on a sustained good run.  And in Matz's case, as we saw in the Mets' dugout, he's just not very mentally tough. 

re:  Bautista, this is what makes you crazy as a Met fan.  The Braves need all of a quarter of a season to realize that Bautista probably won't help them.  But not only is other's team trash apparently Sandy's treasure, the Mets currently employ a player who's equally worthless in Jose Reyes, yet apparently there's no way the Mets will just cut their losses. 

And on that note, as Vargas has a nice chunk of $$$ coming to him, he likely gets at least half the season before Lifeless Sandy dares to even consider a legit replacement for him. 

Yea I see them as .500 as well. Even with tonights encouraging outing by Vargas, he still was at E by the 5th and it was only the Marlins. He needs at least two more good outings for me to feel any confidence in him. And Wheeler and Matz are time bombs. And no run support as well.

I don't want much to do with Bautista either, but it is interesting to see how long the Mets carry mistakes and non contributors rather than other teams who just make a decision and cut the dead weight and move on

Edited by '7'

Just now, '7' said:

How do you bring Ramos in with the bases loaded. Awful. Even if it works

Agree 100%.  Mickey makes some really "Huh what?!" decisions sometimes.  

Got away with it though.

23 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea I see them as .500 as well. Even with tonights encouraging outing by Vargas, he still was at E by the 5th and it was only the Marlins. He needs at least two more good outings for me to feel any confidence in him. And Wheeler and Matz are time bombs. And no run support as well.

I don't want much to do with Bautista either, but it is interesting to see how long the Mets carry mistakes and non contributors rather than other teams who just make a decision and cut the dead weight and move on

Some GMs are proactive.  Some aren't.  We know which category Sandy falls into.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree 100%.  Mickey makes some really "Huh what?!" decisions sometimes.  

Got away with it though.

Managers definitely do this stuff early on. Those "can I trust you here" moments where they put a guy in a tough situation that he wouldn't ordinarily be in...and I'm fine with that. To test a guy out. But we're already 40+ games in and are coming off a horrible stretch. No more messing around. And Callaway was a pitching coach he should know better

It was an ugly boring game but who cares about style points. Vargas didn't implode. Flores got himself a nice clutch hit. Offense is still crap but today it was the defense that saved us with a great catch by Nimmo and left and a very nicely turned DP in the middle innings. Questionable managing the Callaway got away with and Familia definitely got away with a hanger or two. Terrific play by Rosario deep in the hole there to end the game.

4 in a row. I'll take it anyway I can. And with Philly playing Atlanta we have to make sure we win the next two and inch closer to whoever loses

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean I get they need a RHH OF and their organization depth is so pitiful they're a couple of injuries away from legit speculation on a Tebow callup but another typical unimaginative move for a washed-up vet.

ugh. You know this reeks of us signing Bobby Abreu on his last legs. I really don't want to go back to those days.

You know for last years sell off, our returns were absolutely pitiful.

Granted in their defense some of this was inevitable. I mean we have graduated a lot of guys in the past few years. Starting with Harvey and finally winding down with Rosario. So some drop off was expected. Plus it's not as if we got nothing out of it. I mean granted you want more but, an NL Pennant and World Series appearance plus a Wild Card Game. And hey we are over .500 this season though I don't have any faith in them.

Not sure what the future holds but I think it will be more Omar than Sandy restocking the cupboards. He's just...better at it.

Edited by '7'

If Reyes isn't hitting can he at least FIELD the damn ball competently. And lets's not let Wheeler off the hook either he had a terrible start to the inning. But nobody can pick anybody up on this team. What should've been a 1 run inning for Florida is now 3 thanks to a million hopper up the middle off the bat of Realmuto that somebody should have fielded

Typical Sandy move with Bautista.  Lazy, unimaginative, uninspired.  I don't think I've ever despised a Met GM as much as I do Sandy.  Would be nice if the Mets could just ONCE not look through other teams' trash bins.

Wheeler is a fvcking loser...I swear the Mets seem to corner the market on losers.  Of course this means Wheeler will be here for at least three more years getting shot after shot.  At least demote him to the pen.  Gsellman or Lugo deserve a shot to start with the way they've pitched.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Typical Sandy move with Bautista.  Lazy, unimaginative, uninspired.  I don't think I've ever despised a Met GM as much as I do Sandy.  Would be nice if the Mets could just ONCE not look through other teams' trash bins.

Wheeler is a fvcking loser...I swear the Mets seem to corner the market on losers.  Of course this means Wheeler will be here for at least three more years getting shot after shot.  At least demote him to the pen.  Gsellman or Lugo deserve a shot to start with the way they've pitched.

Maybe that day is coming once Swarczak is healthy. But one of Matz/Vargas/Wheeler is not finishing the season in the starting rotation. Gsellman and Lugo have earned it

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Maybe that day is coming once Swarczak is healthy. But one of Matz/Vargas/Wheeler is not finishing the season in the starting rotation. Gsellman and Lugo have earned it

Unfortunately those three are why the Mets are going to have an impossible time going on an extended tear.  They're impossible to count on.  Pressure is really on deGrom and Thor to win most of their starts.

I'm thinking hopefully Bautista can turn back the clock just long enough until TJ Rivera comes back and then we can dump him. But they're projecting TJ will be out until July. Which may really mean August.

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm thinking hopefully Bautista can turn back the clock just long enough until TJ Rivera comes back and then we can dump him. But they're projecting TJ will be out until July. Which may really mean August.

I'm just fed up with always having to "hope for the best, maybe if he can be the guy he was three years ago," blah blah blah.  That's how this fvcking franchise always rolls.  Always sifting through bargain bins and flea markets. 

Wheeler suddenly turning it up a few notches.  Maybe he manages to go six tonight.  I'm still not a big fan of his, but at least he's keeping the Mets in it for now.