New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

9 hours ago, '7' said:

Familia is another rancid pile of trash who can't disappear fast enough. Unfortunately his value is pretty low but we still have to get something for this spineless bastard

Agree agree agree.  Time to FINALLY start purging this team of losers.  Familia's has a 1.44 WHIP since the beginning of the 2017 season, and is walking over 4 batters per 9 IP.  His best days are behind him.

If Ricco can somehow snag an A-ball prospect with very high upside who might be ready in 2-3 years, I'll take it. 

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Might as well put Wheeler on the block too at this point now that he's had a string of good starts without his arm falling off.

Hard to say what he'd bring back...a quick look at his game log shows that he continues to be inconsistent...he deserves to be at least .500 record-wise though.  He's FAR better than 2-6.  Should probably be more 6-6, 7-5, something like that.   

On 6/28/2018 at 10:49 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hard to say what he'd bring back...a quick look at his game log shows that he continues to be inconsistent...he deserves to be at least .500 record-wise though.  He's FAR better than 2-6.  Should probably be more 6-6, 7-5, something like that.   

I'm all for dealing him assuming he does have value, especially since it's doubtful they pony up to re-sign him as a FA when they have deGrom and Thor to (presumably) budget for.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh I agree Has, if Zack goes on to become a 20-game winner elsewhere, so be it.  Hopefully he can have one more solid month overall, then get moved for a young piece.  Might get an overpayment in a market like this.

If you put somebody in that dugout tomorrow with some fire, energy, compete, and an actual understanding of baseball x's and o's (doesn't have to be Larussa level or anything) would it make a difference. I just want to see the team try again. This has been the single most embarrassing stretch probably since 1993. And to be honest however awful that 1993 team was they had more life than this one. This team basically gives an effort 3-4 innings A WEEK. 

15-39 in their last 54. Sickening. 

deGrom mentioned how frustrated he is, and how tired of losing he was after the game. 

We really let an opportunity slip away with him. Wouldn't be shocked if a trade request is coming soon. Or has happened already. We should be moving quickly now to make the necessary changes, from the manager on down to prove to deGrom that we're turning this ship around and will be committed to winning in the near future. We're doing none of that. Mets right now are a fetid cauldron filled with idiocy, turmoil, bad luck, incompetence, apathy and indifference. When it comes to getting their sh!t together I can't believe how far the Jets have moved past the Mets.

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

deGrom mentioned how frustrated he is, and how tired of losing he was after the game. 

We really let an opportunity slip away with him. Wouldn't be shocked if a trade request is coming soon. Or has happened already. We should be moving quickly now to make the necessary changes, from the manager on down to prove to deGrom that we're turning this ship around and will be committed to winning in the near future. We're doing none of that. Mets right now are a fetid cauldron filled with idiocy, turmoil, bad luck, incompetence, apathy and indifference. When it comes to getting their sh!t together I can't believe how far the Jets have moved past the Mets.

The Mets just need to look at what's happening with the Isles now...they waited too long to make those changes and now they're probably losing their franchise player as a result.

I get it won't really matter in the end if the Mets pick it up in the second half in terms of end result meaning but at a certain point you have to get some confidence and spirit back in everyone.  This is exactly like the 2010 Devils right now, total rock bottom and the joke of the sport.  They need a Lemaire to come in and shape them up, without Lemaire's stretch they don't do what they do in 2011-12.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Shouldn't let this bother me anymore but 6-2 bottom of the 7th. 2 out, nobody on and naturally the Jays tie it 6-6. Which means the Jays win because the Mets are just gutless garbage.

The amount of spineless gag jobs this team has had is really unfathomable

14 hours ago, '7' said:

Shouldn't let this bother me anymore but 6-2 bottom of the 7th. 2 out, nobody on and naturally the Jays tie it 6-6. Which means the Jays win because the Mets are just gutless garbage.

The amount of spineless gag jobs this team has had is really unfathomable

So true.  I've read that since the season's toast that there's no reason to fire Callaway, but I say fvck that sh!t.  For ONCE, can SOMEONE be held accountable?  Fire that pile of nothing already.  

Nats now 42-43 after losing 17 out of 23.  They still have time to get their acts together, but it better start to happen soon. 

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well this ought to fix the bullpen woes :P

haha. He is so so dumb. Honestly I would bet money he fails another drug test down the line ;-) he was a an unpredictable mixed bag. Good Mejia could strike out the side. Bad Mejia = Robles

But as of right now, in this pen...yea he'd actually improve things

On 7/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Again deGrom with a masterful 8 innings...again a no-decision.  And to twist the needle in further they make Familia the winner when he darn near blew another one.

And while the Bautista Grand Slam Walk Off was a nice moment, who DIDN'T come up big was more glaring. Dom Smith had his chance, Familia again was atrocious and lucked his way into a win

And forget yesterday. Seen it all before. Outstanding starting pitching and just hopeless, non competitive offense

Edited by '7'

Back to back shutouts.  Gotta admit, I'm pretty much not watching this team at all.  And I'm not missing it.  We know the team as currently constructed is hopeless (thank you so much Sandy...you left as the worst and least imaginative GM in MLB), so until the selloff begins, paying much attention seems kind of pointless.  

Curious to see if anyone's feeling good about Matz and/or Wheeler.  Their injury history would scare the hell out of me, but both have been solid for a while now.

Insane that Flores is the Mets all time leader in walkoffs and he's 26. Feels like he's been around forever. I remember on this very site discussing with Has and CR about when they're going to finally get him up here and that feels like 8-9 years ago.

On 7/8/2018 at 8:13 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Back to back shutouts.  Gotta admit, I'm pretty much not watching this team at all.  And I'm not missing it.  We know the team as currently constructed is hopeless (thank you so much Sandy...you left as the worst and least imaginative GM in MLB), so until the selloff begins, paying much attention seems kind of pointless.  

Curious to see if anyone's feeling good about Matz and/or Wheeler.  Their injury history would scare the hell out of me, but both have been solid for a while now.

I have no clue why I even tune into games but I think I'm more conditioned to roll with the misery and keep watching due to my Jets fanhood:P but what's really lacking with this Mets team is hope. Teams can have awful years but still keep you preoccupied because you see some promising young talent coming up and you have faith in ownership and management. We're not totally devoid of young talent...but we don't have much of it and too much of it is trending downwards right now.

Both Matz and Wheeler I'd boot out the door immediately because of their injury history. And if they chose to keep one and it should be Matz. Wheeler probably won't fetch much but it'll be something at least. Also want Cabrera traded and Familia. And just eliminate the stank that is Reyes already

Where is this Jeff McNeil? He's hitting down in the minors. Now is the perfect time. 

Also this Peter Alonso guy I feel has Duda 2.0 written all over him

Edited by '7'

Little different watching a season of 162 games with a no-hope team as opposed to a 16-game one though.  I can't turn on the Mets now either, even with GKR who I should make myself listen to at least sometimes because we aren't always gonna have the golden booth.

But it's sh!t like this that's the reason I'm not watching...really Mickey?

That's AT LEAST the second managerial mistake you make in kindergarten managerial school this year.

17 hours ago, '7' said:

I have no clue why I even tune into games but I think I'm more conditioned to roll with the misery and keep watching due to my Jets fanhood:P but what's really lacking with this Mets team is hope. Teams can have awful years but still keep you preoccupied because you see some promising young talent coming up and you have faith in ownership and management. We're not totally devoid of young talent...but we don't have much of it and too much of it is trending downwards right now.

Both Matz and Wheeler I'd boot out the door immediately because of their injury history. And if they chose to keep one and it should be Matz. Wheeler probably won't fetch much but it'll be something at least. Also want Cabrera traded and Familia. And just eliminate the stank that is Reyes already

Where is this Jeff McNeil? He's hitting down in the minors. Now is the perfect time. 

Also this Peter Alonso guy I feel has Duda 2.0 written all over him

I'm usually with ya, in that as you've seen through the years, I've found ways to be all-in no matter how ugly it gets.  But this team is impossible to watch...and like you said, not all bad teams are created equal.  We've talked about it before, but there's too many here-for-the-paycheck vets right now...and of course, you have no-interest-in-competing-Cespedes chief among them. 

And yeah, Smith and Rosario are very underwhelming at the moment.  Neither guy can hit. 

Yeah, we know what Vegas can do to stats (not so much with Alonso to date), but screw it, bring McNeil up and let him play third.  But that fvcking idiot Callaway is already trying to sell us on Reyes.

Re:  Callaway, if he's really serious about managing, he really should cut his teeth in AA or AAA sometime soon.  He is not ready for this, and he's proving it almost daily now.  Terry Collins was absolutely light-years ahead of him, and that is about as harsh of an indictment on Callaway as there is.  He needs YEARS in the minors before he can be considered for another major-league managing gig.  Keeping him up here isn't going to cause him to grow into the job.  The tools aren't there.  He has none.   

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm usually with ya, in that as you've seen through the years, I've found ways to be all-in no matter how ugly it gets.  But this team is impossible to watch...and like you said, not all bad teams are created equal.  We've talked about it before, but there's too many here-for-the-paycheck vets right now...and of course, you have no-interest-in-competing-Cespedes chief among them. 

And yeah, Smith and Rosario are very underwhelming at the moment.  Neither guy can hit. 

Yeah, we know what Vegas can do to stats (not so much with Alonso to date), but screw it, bring McNeil up and let him play third.  But that fvcking idiot Callaway is already trying to sell us on Reyes.

Re:  Callaway, if he's really serious about managing, he really should cut his teeth in AA or AAA sometime soon.  He is not ready for this, and he's proving it almost daily now.  Terry Collins was absolutely light-years ahead of him, and that is about as harsh of an indictment on Callaway as there is.  He needs YEARS in the minors before he can be considered for another major-league managing gig.  Keeping him up here isn't going to cause him to grow into the job.  The tools aren't there.  He has none.   

Cespedes had that comment a few weeks ago "Not sure if even my presence would help" which is all you needed to know

Meh I probably won't make a difference, it's probably a lost cause, why try. I'll just milk this rehab for all it's worth. Which is exactly what he's done. How shameful. 

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Cespedes had that comment a few weeks ago "Not sure if even my presence would help" which is all you needed to know

Meh I probably won't make a difference, it's probably a lost cause, why try. I'll just milk this rehab for all it's worth. Which is exactly what he's done. How shameful. 

I haven't seen anything like it in this area since Carl Pavano with the Yankees.  He is basically stealing money.  It's funny, in that there was always a fear among a good number of Mets fans (me included) that Cespedes would instantly turn into a fat cat once he got paid...but I thought he would at least go through the motions on the FIELD, to the tune of 130-140 underachieving games.  He just has no interest in taking the field or do anything that he can to help.  Shameful isn't the word.

Have to say I have never heard the booth go after one of our managers like this. This is July year one and our broadcasters are just going open season on Callaway (and he deserves it) there is 0 respect for this guy now. Absolutely 0