New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

What are they saying?  

Everything you need to know about Sandy can be summed up in his hiring Callaway. God was Sandy just fvcking awful.

Well here we go, **** is about to hit the fan

"We have discussed Jacob's future with the Mets at length," CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. "Jacob has expressed interest in exploring a long-term partnership that would keep him in a Mets uniform for years to come. If the Mets don't share same interest, we believe their best course of action is to seriously consider trade opportunities now. The inertia of current situation could complicate Jacob's relationship with the club and creates an atmosphere of indecision."

I understand if the Mets haven't talked to him that the agent might want to put pressure on the team but why do it now when the Mets literally have no GM and are a rudderless ship?  At least wait until they have a long-term GM before you put the screws to the team in regards to an extension.

Edited by NJDevs4978

C'mon Jacob, I sympathize with your plight here big-time, but the Mets control you through 2020.  They don't have to decide on your future right this second or by 7/31, and yeah, pretty silly to make demands when the Mets technically don't have a GM at the moment.  And the Mets don't have that much to lose if they hang onto you for at least one more season (well, they do if Jacob gets hurt or is suddenly less effective, both of which are possibilities).  Of course it's all a mess, Mets-style. 

And upon further thought, I understand where Jake's agent is coming from...Jake's in a weird spot in that his first real shot at a big FA contract comes later than it does for many players, as far as his age goes...he'll be getting his first taste of FA at the age of 32, and will turn 33 during that first big-contract year.  I can't blame his agent for trying to almost take a "Get my client a big FA-style contract NOW" stance, over two years ahead of schedule, while Jake is having his best overall season.  Doesn't mean the Mets have to respond though.  I think this can be explored in the 2018 offseason at the earliest...hopefully after a new GM is in place. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The timing is in fact a bit odd. Jake has been frustrated of late (made some comment in the press a few days ago "Sick of losing") so I wonder if this wasn't agent shenanigans but rather Jacob speaking through his agent

I have a feeling he isn't going anywhere. Though if an outlandish offer comes our way I'd trade him. Just because so much of the organization needs replenishing in so many places.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:44 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What are they saying?  

Everything you need to know about Sandy can be summed up in his hiring Callaway. God was Sandy just fvcking awful.

Sorry for the late reply. Basically they were discussing Callaway's excuse regarding somebody's playing time (may have been Reyes or Blevins?) and how silly it sounded...Keith was like "Give me a break, I don't buy that, that dog won't hunt" in a very dismissive way. You can really tell the booth has had it with him. They would tiptoe around Terry's moments. This guy they have no hesitation to flat out eviscerate.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

So from a Mets fan standpoint, does Andujar, Frazier and Sheffield get the Yankees de Grom?  

It just might. That's a good offer. They would have to think long and hard. Ces would then have to be moved to 1b  for 2019 and Bruce...who knows we'd have to get rid of him somehow

So I’m not a Francesca hater, but boy did he have a doozy today.  Someone calls up and makes the very reasonable argument that the Mets should take advantage of the Yankees-Red Sox dog fight and trade de Grom to the Yankees and Syndergard to the Red Sox, both for a king’s ransom, and really kick start a rebuild, not to mention the fact that de Grom is at the peak of his value right now.  Whatever the case, it’s an interesting thought. 

Fatso’s response is, well whadya gonna do with Cespedes, Bruce and Frazier?  Too bad the caller didn’t have the gumption to say, who gives a crap.  Oh well.

lol the Red Sox already drained their farm system between guys actually getting promoted playing on the big team and trading for Sale.

Saw this Tweet on deGrom and couldn't help but wonder if it's the same Brian Bannister that once pitched for the Mets (apparently it is according to Adam Rubin).  I remember him being a cerebral guy so it's not surprising.

Edited by NJDevs4978

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol the Red Sox already drained their farm system between guys actually getting promoted playing on the big team and trading for Sale.

Saw this Tweet on deGrom and couldn't help but wonder if it's the same Brian Bannister that once pitched for the Mets (apparently it is according to Adam Rubin).  I remember him being a cerebral guy so it's not surprising.

Interesting. I never knew that. Don't think GKR has mentioned it either

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Bannister was traded for Ambiorix Burgos. Burgos later violently assaulted his girlfriend. Struck two women women with his car and dragged them killing one, and then kidnapped and poisoned his ex wife

I think if the Yankees threw in one last low-level prospect (say a single-A arm that's 2-3 years away), then the Mets have to pull the trigger.  I think that's enough of a premium for the Yankees to pay.  It's not an overpay because the Yankees will have deGrom at least through 2020, and though he's got good money coming to him in future arbitration, the Yankees aren't inheriting any potentially bad long-term money. 

3 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

DONE. where can I send the papers? 

I think there's a legitimate chance that all 3 pieces in the deal I proposed are all-stars. Frazier has the best bat-speed I've ever seen in my entire life, Andujar is out-pacing Cano's blistering Yankee start and isn't getting recognition for ALRoY because Gleyber Torres is just next-level good, and Sheffield is probably my favorite Yankee prospect in my entire time being a fan of this team. I was pumped for Severino but nowhere near on the level of Sheff. 

But, as they say, flags fly forever. And deGrom on the Yankees makes me think they'd have a better-than-not chance at flying a flag or two before his deal expires.

What's funny is what Daniel referred to, re:  Fatso.  Here's your answer Mike...I'm not letting three veteran walking-wounded stiffs stop me from making a deal that makes sense for the immediate future and beyond.  Frazier and Bruce are not SO expensive that something can't be done with them...the Mets will have to eat a good chunk of their money and they be lucky to get anything more than a bag of baseballs for either one.  El Gato Gordo Cespedes they're stuck with, but who knows, maybe Captain Frontrunner might become a decent first baseman and might be willing to play with a hangnail on a young up-and-coming team (though that's probably VERY wishful thinking).

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's funny is what Daniel referred to, re:  Fatso.  Here's your answer Mike...I'm not letting three veteran walking-wounded stiffs stop me from making a deal that makes sense for the immediate future and beyond.  Frazier and Bruce are not SO expensive that something can't be done with them...the Mets will have to eat a good chunk of their money and they be lucky to get anything more than a bag of baseballs for either one.  El Gato Gordo Cespedes they're stuck with, but who knows, maybe Captain Frontrunner might become a decent first baseman and might be willing to play with a hangnail on a young up-and-coming team (though that's probably VERY wishful thinking).

His rejoinder will always be, well ya wanna stink for the next three yees. You cant do that in New Yawk.

I don't think he's noticed that they've stunk for the past two years with Degrom pitching at a Cy Young level, but having fewer wins than CC Sabathia.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

His rejoinder will always be, well ya wanna stink for the next three yees. You cant do that in New Yawk.

I don't think he's noticed that they've stunk for the past two years with Degrom pitching at a Cy Young level, but having fewer wins than CC Sabathia.

Mike is one of those big dumb NY blowhards who think that New Yawkers (or fans who root for a NY team) can't handle a rebuild.  Well what's the fvcking alternative Mike? 

Word to Mike and others:  MANY FANS CAN HANDLE A PROPER REBUILD!  Many fans are patient enough to wait, as long as there's a concrete plan in place where they can see that there's legit prospects that will be coming up and developing...there's a huge difference between watching a young raw team go through expected growing pains and a going-nowhere bunch with next to no upside.  What fans DON'T want to see are teams pieced together with aging overpaid vets whose best days came with other teams.  As we've seen, those teams can stink plenty, but in a completely unwatchable and unembraceable way.  Sure, there's no guarantees with any rebuild, but there's some prospects worth taking a real chance on, especially if you're truly going nowhere fast.   

It will suck to lose deGrom, but if the Yankees ever proposed what Kinky suggested (plus a very good but still kinda far away pitching prospect), I'm sorry, I gotta take it.  I don't need to see more of Sandy's crap lazy signings collecting paychecks.  Been there done that. 

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mike is one of those big dumb NY blowhards who think that New Yawkers (or fans who root for a NY team) can't handle a rebuild.  Well what's the fvcking alternative Mike? 

Word to Mike and others:  MANY FANS CAN HANDLE A PROPER REBUILD!  Many fans are patient enough to wait, as long as there's a concrete plan in place where they can see that there's legit prospects that will be coming up and developing...there's a huge difference between watching a young raw team go through expected growing pains and a going-nowhere bunch with next to no upside.  What fans DON'T want to see are teams pieced together with aging overpaid vets whose best days came with other teams.  As we've seen, those teams can stink plenty, but in a completely unwatchable and unembraceable way.  Sure, there's no guarantees with any rebuild, but there's some prospects worth taking a real chance on, especially if you're truly going nowhere fast.   

It will suck to lose deGrom, but if the Yankees ever proposed what Kinky suggested (plus a very good but still kinda far away pitching prospect), I'm sorry, I gotta take it.  I don't need to see more of Sandy's crap lazy signings collecting paychecks.  Been there done that. 

Rebuilds aren't pleasant but they're a lot more tolerable when you have exciting young players percolating through the system and a concrete plan and real progress. We could tolerate that. It would be less torturous than what we've been going through this year and last. I just want to sort of cleanse away this Sandy era for good. It was a nice, sort of miraculous run in 2015 and a gritty effort in 2016. But overall since his tenure began in 2010 he has not put into place the consistent, no nonsense baseball program that we crave. An organizational philosophy with the right baseball people at all levels nurturing the talent, fundamentals etc. We have none of that. Now how much of it is the Wilpons keeping the circus in town with their buffoonery? Who knows

20 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The most lopsided pitching matchups of the season for the Yankees this series; 

• Friday - Noah Syndergaard (2.97 ERA/2.63 FIP) vs. Domingo German (5.49 ERA/4.42 FIP)
  • Sat - Steven Matz (3.38 ERA/4.81 FIP) vs. Sonny Gray (5.46 ERA/4.34 FIP)
  • Sun - Jacob deGrom (1.68 ERA/2.32 FIP) vs. Masahiro Tanaka (4.54 ERA/4.90 FIP)

Love my Yanks, but I think Yankees fans shouldn't be shocked or upset with a Mets series win -- even a sweep. The Yankees offense has been struggling pretty strong, and Torres is still going to be out this series. RIP. 

Also... deGrom's FIP... ugh, I would personally suck any of you off if you could convince ownership to let the Yankees dramatically overpay you for him. At this point, I'd probably do a full farm system swap. 

At this point, I think the Mets absolutely HAVE to listen if the Yanks are willing to pony up 4-5 prospects for deGrom, with 3 of them being Sheffield, Frazier, and Andujar.  The minor-league cupboard is borderline bare.  Yes, helping the crosstown team win a WS will suck.  Yes, if there was another team somewhere else that had that kind of loot to offer, I'd rather see him go there.  But the Mets can REALLY fill a hell of a lot of holes by moving ONE guy, who they probably won't want to pay in a couple of years anyway.  Two more seasons of deGrom not getting run support despite pitching well, or the beginnings of a team that actually has some youth worth getting excited over?  I think the Mets would have to make this move. 

On 7/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, '7' said:

Rebuilds aren't pleasant but they're a lot more tolerable when you have exciting young players percolating through the system and a concrete plan and real progress. We could tolerate that. It would be less torturous than what we've been going through this year and last. I just want to sort of cleanse away this Sandy era for good. It was a nice, sort of miraculous run in 2015 and a gritty effort in 2016. But overall since his tenure began in 2010 he has not put into place the consistent, no nonsense baseball program that we crave. An organizational philosophy with the right baseball people at all levels nurturing the talent, fundamentals etc. We have none of that. Now how much of it is the Wilpons keeping the circus in town with their buffoonery? Who knows

The Rangers and Knicks are ‘currently’ rebuilding. Arguably the Jets have been the last couple years. Even the Yankees rebuilt when George was out of the way in the early ‘90’s. So the idea you can’t rebuild in NY is a misnomer. Granted it’s harder for the second team in town to do it when the first team is a colossus of talent but if you’re only going 70-92 anyway what’s the point?

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The most lopsided pitching matchups of the season for the Yankees this series; 

• Friday - Noah Syndergaard (2.97 ERA/2.63 FIP) vs. Domingo German (5.49 ERA/4.42 FIP)
  • Sat - Steven Matz (3.38 ERA/4.81 FIP) vs. Sonny Gray (5.46 ERA/4.34 FIP)
  • Sun - Jacob deGrom (1.68 ERA/2.32 FIP) vs. Masahiro Tanaka (4.54 ERA/4.90 FIP)

Love my Yanks, but I think Yankees fans shouldn't be shocked or upset with a Mets series win -- even a sweep. The Yankees offense has been struggling pretty strong, and Torres is still going to be out this series. RIP. 

Also... deGrom's FIP... ugh, I would personally suck any of you off if you could convince ownership to let the Yankees dramatically overpay you for him. At this point, I'd probably do a full farm system swap. 

Be prepared to see a gutless quitting, passionless and poorly managed team in blue and orange muck up everything under the sun and lose all 3. Believe me Yanks can throw their gloves out on the field and sleepwalk through the series and still sweep

Also be prepared to watch your manager turn into a genius compared to Callaway. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Idk, you're talking about Boone who two weeks ago brought Betances and Chapman into a 10-0 game which kept them from playing the next night in a 3-2 extra-innings loss. Same guy who then brought Chasen Shrieve into the 9th in a tie game when Betances and Chapman were fully rested. 

Growing pains for our new manager, to say the least. 

Callaway can't even fill out a lineup card. We batted out of order this year

27 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ces finally comes back into the lineup, hits a HR even and then drops this bombshell

Well fvck if that's the case might as well have the surgery now if you're not going to 'recover' till next April.

Agree, but Cespedes doesn't really want to play.  And this is the Mets.  Whatever makes the least sense, that's what they'll do.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, but Cespedes doesn't really want to play.  And this is the Mets.  Whatever makes the least sense, that's what they'll do.

The whole thing is just ridiculous.  If he's had this issue and the Mets knew about it then wtf are they doing not having this surgery now and letting it drag into next season?  Clearly the last year plus he hasn't been able to play as is.  And on top of it they never said a word in his defense when he's been getting savaged for weeks by us (fans) and the media for not wanting to play.

Of course there's the possibility Ces got his own diagnosis that differs from the Mets' team doctors which would also be typical.  Or he's being a drama queen and exaggerating his issues which I can't totally rule out either.

And the beat goes on...

Edited by NJDevs4978