New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

And also typical Mets days after Ricco claimed they'd be willing to eat money to get a better prospect comes word that the Mets and A's might not get a Familia trade done because of....wait for it....another team is willing to take on more of Familia's $3 million salary remaining.  And also that the Mets would rather go for MLB-ready junk like Mateo or Barreto over a guy like Lazaro Aramentos.  This franchise just never learns.

2 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I followed Mateo closely in the minors and feel confident that he’ll be a very, very solid MLB player.

The Yankees pumped up his value in the lower minors but he's been awful in the PCL this year

.219/.274/.337 in 329 AB's, and is only 17/27 in SB's on top of it.

They probably won't even get him anyway, it'll likely be the A's take most of the contract and we get Ramon Laureano or other middling guys.

Edited by NJDevs4978

lol another underwhelming return...a light-hitting 3B non-prospect and yet another reliever, an older guy who's admittedly dominating in AAA this year.  But hey they save money on the contract and get international bonus pool money, another 'business' decision at the cost of baseball ops!

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol another underwhelming return...a light-hitting 3B non-prospect and yet another reliever, an older guy who's admittedly dominating in AAA this year.  But hey they save money on the contract and get international bonus pool money, another 'business' decision at the cost of baseball ops!

Yep...Familia is not a top closer by any stretch, really, but this seems like a pretty meh return...one warm body and an overage arm.  Anything to save a buck in Wilponland.  Like you said, that's all this was about. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-prospect-tebow-out-for-season-with-broken-bone-in-hand/ar-BBL0ouL?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

You just KNOW he would've gotten a call-up in September if this hadn't happened.  Maybe even sooner. 

At least we won't have to watch him up here...OK, some of his AA numbers are in the kinda-sorta respectable range, but he's struck out 102 times in 298 PA...basically for every three times up, he K's.  And doesn't hit for much power. 

I'll give him a little credit for doing better than anyone ever thought he would, but he's Somerset Patriots material, if he really wants to keep playing ball.  He's not a major leaguer and never will be. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sadly I would have been okay with him playing in September, this organization's already a clown show with or without him - might as well let him have his moment then we won't need to worry about the circus after that (unless he actually hit well in September lol).  Getting hurt shows he's a true Met now :P

Fair point Has.  

Surprise...deGrom's utterly useless teammates can't give him proper support...EVER.  Thank God Jose fvcking Reyes continues to be treated like he's the Reyes of 10 years ago, and is apparently so awesome that he can't be released.  Yeah, he drove in a run tonight, but his OPS is right around .500.  WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?!

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least the Mets finally deigned to call Jeff McNeil up, maybe maybe maybe this will finally be the end of Reyes.

Holy sh!t it's about fvcking time!  It was really awesome watching Reyes put up a .469 OPS while starting 10 games since 7/8.  Just cut him. 

Ricco cannot be the GM next year.  I don't want any of Sandy's "braintrust" back here next season.  Omar can stay...as we've all noted, he can spot talent.  The hell with the rest. 

Ricco from what I've heard is just a bumbling administrative guy who would pretty much be our version of John Idzik. He would be out of his element.

Have a feeling the only reason Reyes remains is the personal wishes of Fred or Jeff. Even Mickey can't be so dumb do think he's effective in any way anymore. Or is any sort of + to this organization.

Congrats to McNeil on his first hit yesterday. Hopefully it's the first of many

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What a joke, have the guy try to rehab and waste two months to play one lousy game against the Yankees and now this

The Mets just being the Mets.  Of course they completely fvck this up.  Cespedes gets his wish too, now that's less games that he'll have to play in 2019.  And I'm sure there will be "setbacks". 

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

Ricco from what I've heard is just a bumbling administrative guy who would pretty much be our version of John Idzik. He would be out of his element.

Have a feeling the only reason Reyes remains is the personal wishes of Fred or Jeff. Even Mickey can't be so dumb do think he's effective in any way anymore. Or is any sort of + to this organization.

Jeffy is such a meddling P.O.S.  I think this idiot still believes that fans actually still clamor to see Reyes play.  Jeffy, big news flash:  whatever soft spot Mets fans still had for Reyes has long been dead.  None of us needed until the end of July to see that Reyes has nothing left...but yet he continues to get shoved down our throats, almost insultingly so.  Even his most rabid fans can't stand the sight of him on the field anymore.  There's no reason for him to spend another day in a Met uniform. 

I really think the only hope is for the new GM to basically tell Jeffy to stay the fvck out of the way and stop pretending to act like a baseball man.  It's embarrassing to anyone with a brain when he does that, and he doesn't realize that just about everyone in the league thinks he's a complete joke...a fortunate son who's only where he is because of his sperm and egg donors.  Give Doubleday credit...he knew that Freddy was going to give Jeffy more and more power, and he rightly predicted that it would result in the clusterfvck that we all see today. 

If we ever see Cespedes again it may be August next year. And as CR mentioned, you have to build in at least 2-3 setback and shut down periods. Worst case scenario which always has to be considered with us is that Cespedes is out all of next year. 

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

If we ever see Cespedes again it may be August next year. And as CR mentioned, you have to build in at least 2-3 setback and shut down periods. Worst case scenario which always has to be considered with us is that Cespedes is out all of next year. 

You also have to factor in that friggin' David Wright wants to get back on the field far more than Cespedes does.  I think you set the over-under for games played by Cespedes next season at 50.  As much as Wright's loser tendencies and lack of clutch infuriated me, if you could somehow transplant Wright's heart and soul into Cespedes' body, I'd set that over-under at closer to 100. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You also have to factor in that friggin' David Wright wants to get back on the field far more than Cespedes does.  I think you set the over-under for games played by Cespedes next season at 50.  As much as Wright's loser tendencies and lack of clutch infuriated me, if you could somehow transplant Wright's heart and soul into Cespedes' body, I'd set that over-under at closer to 100. 

Under 50 easily. If I were to throw a number out there it would be 30 ineffective games and a total lost season. 

At this point I am entirely pessimistic about the future of this franchise. The only ones who can really help, really save us are Major League Baseball by way of officially curtailing the Wilpons involvement or pushing them to sell. This kind of amateur, stupid, laughinstock, 3rd rate behavior from a NY Market team at all levels while running a franchise is totally unacceptable. The fans are absolutely seething like I've never seem them before and we're reaching a breaking point. The other owners see this. Manfreds office must see this. Having the Mets continue to operate like this is horrible for our fans and bad for baseball as a whole. Plus I don't think those other owners are particularly looking forward to Jeffy having a seat at the big boy table once Fred croaks (and he's about 81 I think) Even as a fan of the miserable Jets I can't remember Leon Hess or Woody Johnson being this hopeless and out of touch. But right now I have to say it's almost hopeless. 

Last time MLB pretty much had to nudge Sandy to take this job. A past his prime Sandy. Who's taking the job now with the Wilpon nimrods looking over your shoulder? Forget free agency...if you're a new incoming GM are they going to pay up to build the scouting/developmental apparatus that you need? Will they ante up to build a solid, experienced coaching staff? Will they ante up for international stars? Will you get to hire your own manager to begin with?

Edited by '7'

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Unless it's really obvious, like both the Yankees and Jaoby Elsbury being happy with him being "Injured," I've learned to really never doubt the severity of a player's injury and never believe that it's a lack of toughness or heart that keeps them out of games, especially when the issue is with a foot.  You listen to David Ortiz on why he retired after having a great season when he might have more good baseball to give, he said his feet were so messed up that he could barely walk.  It's a different sport, but someone I met told me that Randy Moss pretty much has to wear sneakers for the rest of life because of how messed up his feet are.  Ricky Williams who took a lot of punishment in his NFL career would talk about how turf toe was the most excruciating thing he went through.

I had compound tibia and fibula fracture when I was 18, which caused nerve damage to my foot.  My leg is perfectly fine now, but the foot will never be the same and I often walk with a weird gait or noticeable limp because of it. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mets are forced to trade Cespedes to  an AL team to be a permanent DH.  Cause unless this is some kind of miracle surgery he's having, I don't see how he could play in the outfield again, and probably not at first base on a regular basis either.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Unless it's really obvious, like both the Yankees and Jaoby Elsbury being happy with him being "Injured," I've learned to really never doubt the severity of a player's injury and never believe that it's a lack of toughness or heart that keeps them out of games, especially when the issue is with a foot.  You listen to David Ortiz on why he retired after having a great season when he might have more good baseball to give, he said his feet were so messed up that he could barely walk.  It's a different sport, but someone I met told me that Randy Moss pretty much has to wear sneakers for the rest of life because of how messed up his feet are.  Ricky Williams who took a lot of punishment in his NFL career would talk about how turf toe was the most excruciating thing he went through.

I had compound tibia and fibula fracture when I was 18, which caused nerve damage to my foot.  My leg is perfectly fine now, but the foot will never be the same and I often walk with a weird gait or noticeable limp because of it. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mets are forced to trade Cespedes to  an AL team to be a permanent DH.  Cause unless this is some kind of miracle surgery he's having, I don't see how he could play in the outfield again, and probably not at first base on a regular basis either.

What's interesting is that supposedly there is momentum for the DH coming to the NL fairly soon. Who knows how it will ultimately end up but we may have a place for him sooner than later. I would still go ahead and pull the plug on his tenure as a Met because if you look at his age (and I suspect he's older than he claims to be...because he just flat out looks it) I just get the feeling this is a turning point injury. Think of Cam Neely after the hip injury. His appearances will be sporadic, inconsistent. He'll probably be one of those guys who will need 2 hrs on the training table before every game. I just don't have the patience for that

I've heard about how bad Turf Toe is. Honestly it sounds like a hangnail but I can recall Marion Barber, a tough battering ram back for the Cowboys pretty much saying the same thing. It was excruciating.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

This is all fair, I can't really debate your point and in 95% of cases I absolutely see it your way, except that there's something about Cespedes that just reeks of a guy who doesn't really want to play, especially now that he's making a fortune no matter what he does.  He seems like he has a lot of frontrunner in him. 

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Under 50 easily. If I were to throw a number out there it would be 30 ineffective games and a total lost season. 

At this point I am entirely pessimistic about the future of this franchise. The only ones who can really help, really save us are Major League Baseball by way of officially curtailing the Wilpons involvement or pushing them to sell. This kind of amateur, stupid, laughinstock, 3rd rate behavior from a NY Market team at all levels while running a franchise is totally unacceptable. The fans are absolutely seething like I've never seem them before and we're reaching a breaking point. The other owners see this. Manfreds office must see this. Having the Mets continue to operate like this is horrible for our fans and bad for baseball as a whole. Plus I don't think those other owners are particularly looking forward to Jeffy having a seat at the big boy table once Fred croaks (and he's about 81 I think)

Sadly, there will always be bad owners in all of sports.  And just because it's a NY market team doesn't mean MLB gets to try to push out crappy owners (much as I would loooooooooooooove to see it happen...I rate the Wilpons somewhere between pond scum and syphilis).  We just have to pray that somehow, a really good baseball man who has the stones to tell the Wilpons to stay the fvck out of baseball affairs is somehow willing to come to the Mets.  I just don't see how it works otherwise, unless just enough breaks right that you get a 2015 season again (only difference being that it hopefully culminates in a championship). 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is all fair, I can't really debate your point and in 95% of cases I absolutely see it your way, except that there's something about Cespedes that just reeks of a guy who doesn't really want to play, especially now that he's making a fortune no matter what he does.  He seems like he has a lot of frontrunner in him. 

Sadly, there will always be bad owners in all of sports.  And just because it's a NY market team doesn't mean MLB gets to try to push out crappy owners (much as I would loooooooooooooove to see it happen...I rate the Wilpons somewhere between pond scum and syphilis).  We just have to pray that somehow, a really good baseball man who has the stones to tell the Wilpons to stay the fvck out of baseball affairs is somehow willing to come to the Mets.  I just don't see how it works otherwise, unless just enough breaks right that you get a 2015 season again (only difference being that it hopefully culminates in a championship). 

What does he have left on his deal, like two years after this one?  Yeah, he'll have more money than anyone really needs, but if his body held up he very well could very average around $10 million a year for three or four more years of baseball after that until he had to call it quits.  That's on top of actually getting to play baseball professionally which most people like to do irrespective of the money.  Ricky Henderson had the reputation of being a prima donna, but the guy held out to the bitter end. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

What does he have left on his deal, like two years after this one?  Yeah, he'll have more money than anyone really needs, but if his body held up he very well could very average around $10 million a year for three or four more years of baseball after that until he had to call it quits.  That's on top of actually getting to play baseball professionally which most people like to do irrespective of the money.  Ricky Henderson had the reputation of being a prima donna, but the guy held out to the bitter end. 

On a side note, what's scary about Henderson is that he was probably 80-85% of what he could have been, he was that friggin' talented.  But when he was brooding or sulking over god knows what, he'd talk about himself in the third person about how he might not be able to play his hardest.  But when he was actually locked in and motivated, he was damned good.

Cespy can live fine off the mega-deal (for them, anyway) that the Mets gave him, and all that he made before...I think he was on his best behavior prior to that deal, and now we're seeing more of the "real" Ces.  And like '7' said, he could be older than his given age.  He may not have that much time left after this deal is up. 

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note, what's scary about Henderson is that he was probably 80-85% of what he could have been, he was that friggin' talented.  But when he was brooding or sulking over god knows what, he'd talk about himself in the third person about how he might not be able to play his hardest.  But when he was actually locked in and motivated, he was damned good.

Cespy can live fine off the mega-deal (for them, anyway) that the Mets gave him, and all that he made before...I think he was on his best behavior prior to that deal, and now we're seeing more of the "real" Ces.  And like '7' said, he could be older than his given age.  He may not have that much time left after this deal is up. 

The thing I remember with Rickey was that no manager really could say anything to him because he'd just flat out sulk if he did. Everybody knew he played his way and there was no way to make him deviate from that. Balls went over his head...he'd jog to them. Home run blasted into the 3rd deck...he's not going to jog to the wall to make a pitcher feel better. Groundout to SS when leading off the game...he ain't running it out. But in crunch situations I noticed he would hustle and understand that he had to change from Flake Rickey to gritty ballplayer in the later innings of games. He understood situations...for the most part. But a lot of times you just sort of felt he was playing for himself and living on his own planet.

At this point I am entirely pessimistic about the future of this franchise. The only ones who can really help, really save us are Major League Baseball by way of officially curtailing the Wilpons involvement or pushing them to sell. This kind of amateur, stupid, laughinstock, 3rd rate behavior from a NY Market team at all levels while running a franchise is totally unacceptable. The fans are absolutely seething like I've never seem them before and we're reaching a breaking point. The other owners see this. Manfreds office must see this. Having the Mets continue to operate like this is horrible for our fans and bad for baseball as a whole. Plus I don't think those other owners are particularly looking forward to Jeffy having a seat at the big boy table once Fred croaks (and he's about 81 I think) Even as a fan of the miserable Jets I can't remember Leon Hess or Woody Johnson being this hopeless and out of touch. But right now I have to say it's almost hopeless. 
Last time MLB pretty much had to nudge Sandy to take this job. A past his prime Sandy. Who's taking the job now with the Wilpon nimrods looking over your shoulder? Forget free agency...if you're a new incoming GM are they going to pay up to build the scouting/developmental apparatus that you need? Will they ante up to build a solid, experienced coaching staff? Will they ante up for international stars? Will you get to hire your own manager to begin with?

https://deadspin.com/how-bad-does-it-have-to-get-before-rob-manfred-does-som-1827876806

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Great read, but I'll be stunned if MLB ever really tried to do anything to rid themselves of the Wilpons.  They ain't goin' nowhere.  They won't go down without a serious fight I'm sure...but man, there isn't a Met fan who wouldn't feel like a lottery winner if somehow the fvcking POS Wilpons were permanently vanquished. 

• Like 1

Yankees get Happ, for Drury and McKinney...kind of a no-brainer for them, really...the market isn't great, and deGrom would've cost them a fortune and then some.  Happ isn't deGrom, but he comes a lot cheaper...he's been kinda meh lately (6.03 ERA in his last 6 starts) and a bit inconsistent this season, but at least he came at a reasonable price. 

Even if Happ doesn't work out, there was more than enough evidence there to suggest that it could have (I knew he'd been good against Boston)...this was a good and smart move for the Yankees, not to mention a fair price. 

What's funny is that the Mets (forever misreading their fanbase) probably think we're all going to lose our collective sh!t if deGrom gets dealt to the Yankees.  We won't, as long as the Mets get a big haul.  We love deGrom and right now if you polled Met fans, 95% would say he's our current favorite...it's impossible not to feel that way about him.  But I don't need to see poor Jacob pitch lights-out baseball for a team that probably won't win more than 75 games anytime soon, without a SERIOUS influx of young talent.  Anyone with half a brain knows that the Wilpons aren't going to spend in free agency, so no quick fixes are coming.  We've been over it, but I say if you can get three big young names, plus two other lower level potentials out of the Yankees (that's assuming the three-headed monster masquerading as a GM doesn't completely fvck this up), then you hand them deGrom, and don't worry about what he does with the Yankees...worry about YOU need to do to make the Mets not be a complete joke outfit, and like you just said, fvcking re-build the right way.