New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Asdrubal traded to the Phillies for their 10th-ranked prospect:  23-year-old AA starting pitcher Franklyn Kilome.  Not much to get excited about...he's not a hit-suppressor, he walks a ton of guys and his K totals don't wow.  Good trade for the Phils.

I was a bit underwhelmed too, especially after seeing the three-person package the Twins got for Eduardo Escobar, but most of the prospect geeks over at NYFS think we did okay though.  Kilome has 'stuff', hasn't translated into K's yet and he does walk a lot of guys as you noted.  Supposedly he pitches in a hitter-friendly league though so that's probably a reason for the high ERA and nibbling.

FWIW Kilome went to #5 on our organization prospect rankings (MLB Pipeline) so that tells you something about the rest of the system :P 

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not especially thrilled at this return either. But he's got some potential. Kind of strikes me as a a tall Montero. His stuff not translating into K's yet is worrisome considering...he's 23. When will it if ever?

So Rotoworld.com vis-a-vie Buster Olney is saying that the Mets intend to keep DeGrom and Syndergaard (and are overpricing Wheeler) because they "intend to contend" next year.  

Just reading the last 5 pages of this thread, that doesn't pass the smell test to me.  Or are the Mets really one or two guys away from contention (assuming that Cespedes is out for the majority of next year) and I just am not seeing it?  

1 hour ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

So Rotoworld.com vis-a-vie Buster Olney is saying that the Mets intend to keep DeGrom and Syndergaard (and are overpricing Wheeler) because they "intend to contend" next year.  

Just reading the last 5 pages of this thread, that doesn't pass the smell test to me.  Or are the Mets really one or two guys away from contention (assuming that Cespedes is out for the majority of next year) and I just am not seeing it?  

:lol:

It's not you...it's the same patchwork type junk the Mets tried last offseason.  The Mets are the only team left in NY that still believes 'you can't rebuild!'.  It'd be one thing if the Mets were actually planning on bringing in Machado or Harper and spending major money this offseason but they won't, they'll just try the same old failed patch it all together approach with the second-rate bargain bin items at Dollar General and Woolworth's, be shocked when all their older, brittle guys get hurt and then get nothing at next year's deadline for Wheeler, Frazier and whatever other rentals they'll have when they're again 20 games back assuming they're not also on the DL by then.

I get it's hard to do a full tank with the Mets having a bunch of older guys locked into untradeable contracts like Ces, Bruce and Wright if you want to count him - since apparently the Mets do count Wright's money in the budget even though insurance pays most of it - but when you have next to no bullpen (for crissakes, they have Swarzak and his 7 ERA closing games now), no immediate rotation depth outside of the top four, and a defanged offense without your best player for at least half of NEXT season, 2019 can't be your main concern.

Edited by NJDevs4978

My one hope is that Ricco and the rest of Sandy's uncreative merry men are all kicked out on their asses after this season.  Just blow out the remnants of that awful regime, which had a lot more to do with Omar and Sandy not getting Carlos Gomez than it did with anything else.  

The right guy might actually be able to sell the Wilpons on a real rebuild.  But Has is 100% on the money...none of us want to see yet another offseason spent collecting mehish vets who we KNOW aren't going to come close to getting it done.  We knew this season was going to be iffy at best...of course, the Mets find ways to be even WORSE than your worst nightmare, but the fact  that they're irrelevant with months to go came as a surprise to just about no one.

Lance Lynn might turn out to be a decent pickup for the Yanks...his overall season numbers are pretty dreadful due to a very rough start, but take one brutal outing out of his last 12 games, and he's put up a 2.84 ERA in the other 11 starts.  He's kinda doing it ugly (1.4 WHIP over his last 12 starts) and he doesn't give you much length (pretty much a five or six inning guy whose prone to walks and laboring), but he might surprise some folks. 

Really feels like the Mets are taking a huge risk if they hang onto Wheeler.  Some are making a big deal out of Zack "turning a corner", but we saw a similar stretch in 2014 (covering 13 starts)...it's not like this is anything new with him.  Just think the Mets have a way of overreacting to every tease, and then using those teases as an excuse to put the same kind of product on the field yet again. 

Of course the Mets do zippo at the deadline other than their rushed Familia deal a week and a half ago, and trading Cabrera.  At least the vindictive part of me can snicker that the Reds also got squadoosh for Matt Harvey :P

Some interesting and weird trades outside of Boringville in Flushing.  Chris Archer to the Pirates is one of the most random 'big' trades I've seen in quite some time.

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course the Mets do zippo at the deadline other than their rushed Familia deal a week and a half ago, and trading Cabrera.  At least the vindictive part of me can snicker that the Reds also got squadoosh for Matt Harvey :P

Some interesting and weird trades outside of Boringville in Flushing.  Chris Archer to the Pirates is one of the most random 'big' trades I've seen in quite some time.

Unreal they did nothing. One of Wheeler or Matz should've gone but I guess they're going ahead with this delusion of competing next year, even though the $ that needs to be spent won't be, we'll be doing our offseason shopping at K-Mart, will once again be ravaged by injuries, and will not be able to attract a single respected solid baseball person to come here because of the prospect of working for the Wilpons

Supposedly the Mets put a super high pricetag on Wheeler. Put pretty much gave Familia away for free and in a hurry. I know it's not exactly apples to apples but this franchise does the weirdest most nonsensical things.

But now that Wheelers going to be here you can pretty much take it to the bank that arm troubles and a DL stint will happen soon

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Unreal they did nothing. One of Wheeler or Matz should've gone but I guess they're going ahead with this delusion of competing next year, even though the $ that needs to be spent won't be, we'll be doing our offseason shopping at K-Mart, will once again be ravaged by injuries, and will not be able to attract a single respected solid baseball person to come here because of the prospect of working for the Wilpons

Supposedly the Mets put a super high pricetag on Wheeler. Put pretty much gave Familia away for free and in a hurry. I know it's not exactly apples to apples but this franchise does the weirdest most nonsensical things.

But now that Wheelers going to be here you can pretty much take it to the bank that arm troubles and a DL stint will happen soon

Actually, I won't be surprised if we get "Well if Cespedes and Frazier and Bruce all stay healthy and bounce back...and hey D'Arnaud will be back too..."  I really think we're in for more of the same, which is even more unforgivable. 

1 hour ago, '7' said:

How is Bautista even still here? He was a scrap heap pickup that has at least proven he can still somewhat play. You're telling me they couldn't couldn't even get some A-ball guy for Bautista?

He doesn't really hit the ball enough (hitting for average has never really been his strong suit most seasons...he's a career .249 hitter), but he's actually gotten on base (.382 OB%) and has a decent OPS (.803) as a Met.  Based on the past three seasons though (including this one), I can see why teams probably wouldn't want to bother unless they could get him for nothing. 

Matz reminding us what a gutless p*ssy he really is.  Of course the Yankees and Nats pound on him in their buildings. 

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Rhame is just an embarrassing pile of garbage. Chalk up the Granderson trade as another total bust

Kinda sucks when the GM mails it in on you.  fvcking Sandy.  His last couple of seasons were fvcking borderline criminal.  Completely fvcked this team over.

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If today isn't the perfect indictment of the Mets' last couple years I don't know what is.  25-4, Matz stinks, Wilmer has to leave with dehydration...but sure let's keep this team together cause 2019 all the sh!t will turn into gold.

We'll really know what to expect once the new GM is in house.  If the next guy is towing the typical Met company line (if everyone can come back healthy, with this pitching blah blah blah), then we know the Wilpons hired a complete puppet, and behind the scenes Jeffy the wannabe baseball man will be as meddlesome and aggravatingly clueless as ever.  If the new GM is not only ridding the team of these here-for-the-paycheck crappy vets but is even allowed to eat a little money to make it happen, then we know that this guy is actually going to have some honest-to-goodness real power. 

Unfortunately, just about all of my money is on the former scenario.  The Wilpons will never get it. 

In his last 13 starts Jacob deGrom has a 1.89era and is 1-7. Bet your life that is a historic record for ineptitude that goes back to the deadball era I'm sure

What deGrom is going through is akin to the Devils shootout loss streak. Shouldn't be mathematically possible. deGrom got a base hit to drive in our only run today

The only other Met to get a hit was Rosario.

Edited by '7'

It's even worse than the shootout stuff tbh, just not as meaningful since these games only matter to deGrom's Cy Young candidacy while the shootout kept the Devils out of the playoffs that year.  But people complained about the goal support Cory got that year in general, and it was bad (particularly compared to the goal support Marty got) but this is a whole new level from even that.  It's just hard to fathom some of this stuff with Jake.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Give the money back Sandy.  fvcking THIEF.

Don't want to get on his case too much now but...I mean did he even really try to build the framework, the architecture of a successful ballclub here? From scouts to coaches at all levels to quality control people? To have a true culture change coming off some embarrassing Minaya/Bernazard days. All of this was needed (and he should've seen this) and he should've had the right connections in and around baseball to make it happen. Was he too lazy? Were the Wilpons holding him back?

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/source-mickey-callaway-expected-to-return-as-mets-manager-next-season-1.20304421

lol so basically we're going to have an Idzik-Rex like forced marriage.  The funny thing is at least you could make the argument Rex deserved to come back, you can't really make one with Mickey other than god forbid they eat the last two years on his contract.  Unless they bring in Chernoff somehow (given he actually has a connection with Mickey) this is going to be a disaster.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/4/2018 at 3:22 PM, '7' said:

Don't want to get on his case too much now but...I mean did he even really try to build the framework, the architecture of a successful ballclub here? From scouts to coaches at all levels to quality control people? To have a true culture change coming off some embarrassing Minaya/Bernazard days. All of this was needed (and he should've seen this) and he should've had the right connections in and around baseball to make it happen. Was he too lazy? Were the Wilpons holding him back?

You know my general theory...at one point, I do think Sandy was trying...he suffered from a terminal case of Lack of General Creativity Syndrome, but he was making some things happen.  I think somewhere along the line, he did grow tired of working for the Wilpons, and pretty much threw in the towel.  Part of me is convinced that the past offseason, Sandy damned near screwed the Wilpons on purpose...his offseason and his signings were that bad...it really feels like he put little to no thought into just about ALL of them.  And yeah, he just seemed to lose interest in everything that goes with the job (putting together a solid food chain, etc).  He's going through a much more difficult battle now than trying to assemble a decent baseball team, but I think he's probably very relieved not to be the Met GM anymore.

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/source-mickey-callaway-expected-to-return-as-mets-manager-next-season-1.20304421

lol so basically we're going to have an Idzik-Rex like forced marriage.  The funny thing is at least you could make the argument Rex deserved to come back, you can't really make one with Mickey other than god forbid they eat the last two years on his contract.  Unless they bring in Chernoff somehow (given he actually has a connection with Mickey) this is going to be a disaster.

Wilpons are always gonna Wilpon.  This is why they're so easy to hate.  They never learn, and of course Jeffy still thinks he's a fvcking baseball man.  

You just hope a legit candidate with some stones will basically tell the Wilpons that the only way that he takes the job is that he gets to choose his new manager.  That could happen.   

It would also be nice if someone actually dared to level with the Wilpons.  That due to their endless meddling and incompetence and complete lack of willingness to spend, they've become the true laughingstock of MLB.  That not only does no one respect them (especially Jeffy), the Met fanbase outright despises them now, with a pure hatred that is only getting stronger with each lost season.  That they really need to step back as far as possible and let legitimate baseball people start making ALL of the decisions, from top to bottom.  EVERY last thing those two touch turns to sh!t, and just when you think it can't possibly get worse, it does.  Someone has to find a way to save them from themselves.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976