New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Because of course the Mets would find a way to screw up things in the most craptacular fashion possible with the only face of the franchise that's been a Met from start to finish.  And if the Mets are going to claim that Wright's contract is factored onto their payroll even if insurance is paying it (which they've said in the past) well then tough sh!t if they actually have to pay out the money they saved and didn't spend.

I do wonder at what point the insurance company steps in and calls the Mets on their nonsense seeing as Wright's playing minor league games he's no longer incapacitated.

Same ol' hittable Syndergaard, though Callaway probably could've taken him out earlier.  So much for building off his last game.  Definitely benefitting nicely from solid run support though.  

On 9/9/2018 at 9:59 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same ol' hittable Syndergaard, though Callaway probably could've taken him out earlier.  So much for building off his last game.  Definitely benefitting nicely from solid run support though.  

And naturally he had to take a liner to the ribcage during a portion of the game where he shouldn't have even been on the mound anymore. Baseball gods never fail to make the Mets pay for their stupidity

Mets now 65-77...they're 19-12 in their last 31, and 33-29 since the May/June swoon that rendered their 2018 season moot before it ever really had a chance to settle in.  77 wins or so are within grasp...the Mets would have to go 12-8 for that to happen, and they have 7 games against the Marlins, 3 against the collapsing Phils, and 4 against the Nats.  They also have 3 against the Red Sox (in Boston) and 3 against the Braves (at home). 

We've been over similar ground, but if the Mets did go 12-8 over their final 20, suddenly that's a 31-20 record to close out the season.  More and more I'm just dreading the sales pitch that's coming (which will really be nothing more than a see-through excuse by the Mets not to make any significant changes).  It's wonderful (I guess) that the Mets have been respectable from a W-L standpoint for a while now, but 33-29 would put them on pace for 86 wins over a full season.  That's not exactly killer stuff...of course, if the Mets did win 12 out of their final 20 games, that would give them a 45-37 record over their final 82...and you just KNOW that the Mets will be talking about 90 wins with this group almost as is for 2019...I'm just preparing myself for it now, in the hopes that I'm somehow be less annoyed and angered by it when it happens. 

1 minute ago, '7' said:

And naturally he had to take a liner to the ribcage during a portion of the game where he shouldn't have even been on the mound anymore. Baseball gods never fail to make the Mets pay for their stupidity

Callaway left him in to give up five hits in that 7th inning.  FIVE!  And this after allowing 3 hits in the previous inning.  I know I get on Noah a lot for giving up too many hits for someone with such good stuff, but this was a case where his manager tried to get one too many outs out of him.  I would've given him a batter or two in the top of the 7th, and once he gave up hits to both, I would've called it a day for him. 

You'd think just ONCE that this team would find a way to get deGrom some runs.  Really hope these dipsh!ts find a way to get deGrom to at least 10-9 by season's end.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You'd think just ONCE that this team would find a way to get deGrom some runs.  Really hope these dipsh!ts find a way to get deGrom to at least 10-9 by season's end.

It's absolutely psychological at this point. They have been scoring more runs in general. They score for god damn Cory Oswalt. deGrom takes the hill and they freeze up.

FWIW Jay Horowitz going upstairs to deal with 'alumni relations' and Mets history.  You would think the PR guy going bye bye might help some of the PR stuff but this is the Mets so the problems are likely mostly above Jay's paygrade.

And apparently they're having an announcement tomorrow to announce a 'plan' for David going forward, whether that involves anything beyond him perhaps returning this year who knows.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mets having a plan...that's priceless.

Crazy stat of the day:  Wheeler has as one more win (nine) in his last 11 starts as poor deGrom does ON THE SEASON (eight).  With the exception of striking out less hitters, guy has been every bit as beastly over that stretch as deGrom.

Each pitcher's last 11 starts:

Wheeler:  75.2 IP, 51 H, 14 ER, 4 HR, 14 BB, 76 K, 1.67 ERA, .509 OPS Against, 0.859 WHIP (9-1 W-L)

deGrom:  79.2 IP, 57 H, 14 ER, 2 HR, 15 BB, 97 K, 1.58 ERA, .506 OPS Against, 0.904 WHIP (3-5 W-L ?!)

How badly do you think the Yankees would love to have one of these guys right now?   

So sad to have two guys this dialed in, all for naught.  Thanks one last time for not even trying this offseason Sandy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

FWIW Jay Horowitz going upstairs to deal with 'alumni relations' and Mets history.  You would think the PR guy going bye bye might help some of the PR stuff but this is the Mets so the problems are likely mostly above Jay's paygrade.

And apparently they're having an announcement tomorrow to announce a 'plan' for David going forward, whether that involves anything beyond him perhaps returning this year who knows.

Everything about Horwitz running PR this day in age is wrong. I'm sure he's a wonderful man...but he doesn't have an ounce of media savvy in him. Yes of course ultimately nobody could completely hide all the sewage coming from the Wilpons, but he has been behind the times and the wrong man for the job for decades. I just hope whoever replaces him runs a more polished, professional operation. Jay was just confused, helpless, and terribly unorganized. Whoever replaces him needs to bring a modern approach and be more proactive rather than reactive

Mets activating Wright on September 25th, for him to play in a game on the 29th, after which he will retire.  

Always kinda felt bad for Wright for how his career deteriorated because of injuries, but also for the Mets for how they were hamstrung by it.  This is a nice way for him to go out.

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Everything about Horwitz running PR this day in age is wrong. I'm sure he's a wonderful man...but he doesn't have an ounce of media savvy in him. Yes of course ultimately nobody could completely hide all the sewage coming from the Wilpons, but he has been behind the times and the wrong man for the job for decades. I just hope whoever replaces him runs a more polished, professional operation. Jay was just confused, helpless, and terribly unorganized. Whoever replaces him needs to bring a modern approach and be more proactive rather than reactive

I can't say that I have any strong feelings either way when it comes to Horwitz, but there's a small part of me that can at least get behind less of the same ol-same ol when it comes to this organization. 

Quick pitching numbers:  Starters have combined for a 3.74 ERA (incredible when one considers the putrid Vargas factors into that..Oswalt hasn't helped that number either).  Relievers are at 5.00 for the season (I actually expected that number to be worse, but Lugo and Gsellman have helped the overall number...even Blevins has).

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Mets activating Wright on September 25th, for him to play in a game on the 29th, after which he will retire.  

Always kinda felt bad for Wright for how his career deteriorated because of injuries, but also for the Mets for how they were hamstrung by it.  This is a nice way for him to go out.

I'm just glad it's over...this went on for far too long.  No one can say that he didn't try like hell to get back on the field, and I definitely feel bad for him on some levels, but his quest to come back became counterproductive for everyone involved a while ago...mostly to the Mets themselves.  The Mets were never able to do the right thing and tell him that he's done, that they appreciate his effort and what he did when he could actually play, and that there will always be a place for him in the organization, but that it was time to listen to his body...he couldn't even throw to first base anymore.   

• Like 1

A little surprised it's only one game and the Saturday at that, but it's probably smart not to risk injury before the last game, and leaving it till the very last day could be problematic if there's more rain.

I would have gotten a ticket if I knew it was gonna be Saturday, I assumed it'd either be the Sunday game or the whole homestand.  I'm not really gonna bother splurging $85 and up for this game though - especially since he may only play a few innings at that - I'll wait till the number retirement to cheer David out.

While his most important Met moment was the two-run HR in Game 3 of the World Series, in many ways his most memorable one was the walk-off against Rivera in 2006 - and a game I was at too.  Funny thing is he should have had ANOTHER game-winner against Rivera a couple years later, this time in Yankee Stadium when he broke a tie with a double to give the Mets the lead...then Luis Castillo happened.  I was at that one too :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wright's going to get glorified for a while...that happens, especially since it's been a while since he last played.  2005-08 Wright was often beastly.  2009-on Wright was often maddening and not as good as some of numbers suggested.  So many Ks in big spots.  Drove me batty.

Mets suddenly threatening to go single digits under .500.  Not good for the future.  Team is coming back as is for 2019, save for a meh bullpen signing or two.

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hopefully whoever they hire is better at the bullpen signings/second-tier pickups than Sandy at least since yeah we're headed for another offseason of same ol' even though I'm also at the twice bitten, thrice shy stage of doing the whole patchwork thing.

Mets are now 22-13 in their last 35, and that's really the worst thing that could have happened...Mets' brass will gloss over the fact that the offense is still so iffy that deGrom routinely gets NDs and Ls in games he should win.  That "Thor" and Matz still can't be counted on for innings yet.  That there's no real legit closer on the team, and that much of the bullpen is very shaky (and Sandy of course mailed it in on his deadline deals, so no help is coming from the trash he accumulated in those deals).  And as far as the "Big Four" go, I think it's crazy to expect that they're going to be as strong collectively (or as healthy overall) in 2019 as they were in 2018.

We've been over it, but the sales pitch is going to be infuriating this offseason.  Great, so this team started to finally play better when there was nothing left to play for. 

Rosario slashing .331/.365/.508 in his last 31 GP.  His .384 BABIP screams "regression coming", and he still rarely walks.  Still a nice run for him though. 

The Phillies who I've felt were insanely lucky and overachieving all season, totally hit a wall down the stretch. It was long overdue

They're a -20 run differential and we're -30

Mariners are at -40 and 14 over .500 somehow

Edited by '7'

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't think Wright really wants to retire. I think his body is done but mentally he's nowhere near done

Can almost guarantee over the next 2-3 years we'll hear plenty of rumors about him training for a comeback. He may actually attempt one.

I don't think so.  I think he did every last thing to try to get back on the field over the past couple of seasons, and he finally realizes that he's no longer physically able.  It's a shame his heart can't be transplanted into Cespedes' body.

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

The Phillies who I've felt were insanely lucky and overachieving all season, totally hit a wall down the stretch. It was long overdue

They're a -20 run differential and we're -30

Mariners are at -40 and 14 over .500 somehow

Phillies have definitely fallen to pieces...now 10-22 in their last 32...they may not even finish .500 at this rate.  But the run differential in their case is misleading...take out the 24-4 loss to the Mets, and they're two games over .500 with a run differential of zero...really right about where they should be.  So not really lucky or unlucky, but like you said, they were definitely overachieving (and weren't expected to truly contend anyway, not this year).

Seattle is at -48 BTW, and now 80-66.  Things did even out for them quite a bit...they were 55-31 at one point.  Now just 25-35 since. 

Sewer strikes again.  Guy has been awful as the season has worn on...I know BP guys can be very year-to-year, but hopefully the new GM will be willing to cut bait with some of these players, instead of trying them out for multiple seasons.

I know W-L (especially for relievers) is never a great measure, but Sewald is 0-12 in his major league career to boot.  Ouch.

Kooky game for Wheeler.  Hits 3, walks 3, uncorks a WP, but also only allows 3 hits...and has a chance to win.  And managed to throw two scoreless innings after a rough fifth. 

Hard not to enjoy McNeil's hitting.  Guy couldn't be more of an anti-Sandy hitter.  Note to soon-to-be new GM:  this is the kind of hitter the Mets should be stocking up on.  Contact, higher-average, keep-the-train-moving guys.  No more occasional-dinger lots-o'-K guys please.   

If you want to Shane Spencer your way through September, that's fine Mike...but we're all getting tired of the inconsistency and the teases.  Talk to me when (if?) you're not fattening up in pure garbage time. 

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Hopefully this recent stretch by Conforto is for real, I'm sort of tired of the mercurial up and down streaks.

Heh heh I just posted the exact same sentiment! 

Surprisingly, the Mets have actually been decent overall within the NL East:

A win tonight makes them 11-6 against the Phils.

10-6 vs the Marlins

8-7 vs the Nats

The Braves have been the big exception:  4-12 against them.  

22 RBI in a meaningless September.  Stop making a big deal out of this.  Sure, it's nice...better than the alternative.  But let me see it happen over a full season, on a team that's actually relevant.

Wheeler up to 182.1 IP on his season...of course, now there's talk of shutting him down.  Whatever they want to do I guess.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

22 RBI in a meaningless September.  Stop making a big deal out of this.  Sure, it's nice...better than the alternative.  But let me see it happen over a full season, on a team that's actually relevant.

Wheeler up to 182.1 IP on his season...of course, now there's talk of shutting him down.  Whatever they want to do I guess.

With Conforto he has to carry this over into next season. We cannot afford to have him hit the occasional garbage time home run and otherwise maintain a 200k pace with a .210 batting average. This year he gets a mulligan. He suffered a strange injury for a hitter and wasn't himself until fairly recently. For this team to succeed the Michael Conforto we see now has to be the real Conforto

I say shut down Wheeler and shop him heavily in the offseason. Not saying he absolutely has to be traded but this season may never come again in terms of health, control and efficiency

Edited by '7'