New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

The knee condition is very worrisome, but he's 27 and he has over the past 3 years been a pretty solid bat. Not great, but solid. Most importantly...he's a clutch hitter. He's had pretty much every walkoff hit we've had since 2015 it seems.

He misses time every year, but d'Arnaud misses like 85% of every season. I'd kick d'Arnaud to the curb every single time over Flores.

Edited by '7'

I would have just offed them both, there's too many first basemen candidates in the organization as is and Wilmer's definitely not playing other positions at this point assuming this Cano thing goes through (and without McNeil).  They may wind up re-signing Flores at a smaller price, who knows.

Of course these jackasses will go into the season with TDA-Plaw AGAIN claiming there was no solution to be had, especially after missing out on Yan Gomes who went to the Nationals.

Edited by NJDevs4978

42 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I would have just offed them both, there's too many first basemen candidates in the organization as is and Wilmer's definitely not playing other positions at this point assuming this Cano thing goes through (and without McNeil).  They may wind up re-signing Flores at a smaller price, who knows.

Of course these jackasses will go into the season with TDA-Plaw AGAIN claiming there was no solution to be had, especially after missing out on Yan Gomes who went to the Nationals.

And I wasn't so high on Gomes considering his age and big K totals but he would've been a clear upgrade over Plaw/d'Arnaud. Plaw actually did well last year in terms of showing some pop and getting on base but he's not a guy you want in the lineup more than 40% of the time or so. And d'Arnaud of course is never in the lineup and can't throw a baseball and a double play machine.

54 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This is what pisses me off...how many fvcking lives does TDA have here exactly?  Just move on from this complete zilch already.  I don't give a sh!t what he did back in 2015 (or in 2017).  I'm just DONE with him. 

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is what pisses me off...how many fvcking lives does TDA have here exactly?  Just move on from this complete zilch already.  I don't give a sh!t what he did back in 2015 (or in 2017).  I'm just DONE with him. 

And there is no future with him at any other position either. What are they hanging onto with him? And he's turning 30 this offseason. Not exactly a great age for a brittle catcher

He has never participated in more than 112 game in any of his 6 pro seasons.

2015 level production (where he also missed a massive chunk of time) will never again happen for him.

And now the lunacy is official

Between this, the madness that is the Devils and the embarssment that is the Jets - nights like this I think of Joe Benigno's famous rant about not wanting anything to do with sports in my next life should I have one.

However the Mets want to cook the books talking about the savings of other guys they just took on $100 million of Cano's $120 million AND gave Seattle two top prospects to do it.  Imagine if they got Seattle to take $40-50 million how many prospects they'd have to give up.  BVW...not impressed dude.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Agree with you 100% on this one Has...the Mets gave up all of that so they could have the privilege of paying Cano $100 million over the next five years?!  fvcking REALLY?!

BVW just got taken to the cleaners by a real GM...massive win for Seattle and Dipoto.  This is an absolute embarrassment, and there's no other way to spin it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So so far, the Mets have tendered fvcking TDA and taken on $100 million of Cano's remaining years (to be age 36-40 no less), and given up at least two solid prospects in a farm not exactly bursting with an abundance of them.  Mets did dump one awful contract in Bruce (Swarzak is too short-term to really be considered too too rotten)...yet somehow took on an even worse one.  Great, the Mets got a top-flite closer out of all of this...but at what cost?! 

BVW is already proving that he's not ready to be a major league GM. 

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

NARRATOR: There's pretty much bupkus left to offer. 

Are they really gonna offer Gimenez, Peterson and Alonso for Kluber?  That's about all they have left.  And this is even more of an indicator they want Thor out.

It's basically going to play out like another big multiplayer trade:  Thor and prospects for Kluber and prospects.

One thing Kluber has clearly shown is the ability to stay healthy...and he's locked in at very reasonable dollars over the next three seasons for what he brings...guy is a Cy Young candidate just about every year now.  He's no kid (this year will be his age 33 season), but he could be of that rare Verlander mold...a guy who simply just makes his starts every year, and rarely gets hurt.

I think what it comes down to is that the Mets no longer trust Thor...they don't trust him to stay healthy, and they don't think he'll ever truly put it all together to the level his stuff suggests he should (he allows way too many hits for a guy with his stuff, as has been discussed on a number of occasions).  They want to sell while his price is still high, based on his not-yet-reached ceiling...I think to an extent, there's a "Well we tried not to move any of these arms and how exactly has it worked out for us?  Not to mention most of them aren't providing innings due to DL stints!" mentality.  I do get this to an extent, but they really gotta get some good stuff back for Thor if they're going to empty out the farm for Kluber.  BVW has already lost his first deal...he can't take another loss just to show that he's being active.

On a side note, it's the Zack Wheeler of his last 17 starts that has the Mets feeling like Thor has become expendable...they better hope that Zack doesn't slide backwards or land on the DL...especially with Matz (who seems to have zero durability and moxie) and Vargas still in the fold.  And I'm sorry, I know Vargas was pretty good over his last eight starts, but no one can sell me on him...he accomplished that with a lot of extra rest between starts.  I think BVW really needs to upgrade that 5th spot in rotation.

Kluber for Syndergaard with other prospects mixed in wont work for me. Kluber has the durability edge, but the age really concerns me. And to be fair to Noah his career has been too short to truly declare him injury plagued. If it happens again next year then yes...but not yet. 

I don't like the age of Kluber. Yes he's durable. Yes he's outstanding to put up those numbers in the AL. But I'm not making this trade unless we get a great relief prospect (hopefully in an attempt to create a lockdown 8th/9th inning) and a solid catching prospect.

Just don't like this idea from the get-go.

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

Kluber for Syndergaard with other prospects mixed in wont work for me. Kluber has the durability edge, but the age really concerns me. And to be fair to Noah his career has been too short to truly declare him injury plagued. If it happens again next year then yes...but not yet. 

I don't like the age of Kluber. Yes he's durable. Yes he's outstanding to put up those numbers in the AL. But I'm not making this trade unless we get a great relief prospect (hopefully in an attempt to create a lockdown 8th/9th inning) and a solid catching prospect.

Just don't like this idea from the get-go.

I'd have to see what prospects would be coming back for Syndergaard before poo-pooing the idea entirely.  I kinda lean towards keeping Syndergaard, but at the same time, he's really been more promise than actual delivery.  There's been just enough red flags that I can't consider him completely untouchable anymore...I think he could be more of a "Could've been" by the time his career ends...or a guy who never turns out to be as good as we all thought he could have been.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd have to see what prospects would be coming back for Syndergaard before poo-pooing the idea entirely.  I kinda lean towards keeping Syndergaard, but at the same time, he's really been more promise than actual delivery.  There's been just enough red flags that I can't consider him completely untouchable anymore...I think he could be more of a "Could've been" by the time his career ends...or a guy who never turns out to be as good as we all thought he could have been.

Well the key there is can he learn how to pitch instead of throw. You're not wrong in your assessment of him in terms of on field performance. I would love to see him move away from this whole comic book cartoon "Thor" stuff. Get more cerebral on the mound. Stop trying to screw every blond floozy you can find on Instagram and just be a ballplayer. He's so talented that an ERA that's between 3.00-3.50 for him in a year is legitimate underachievement.

21 hours ago, '7' said:

Well the key there is can he learn how to pitch instead of throw. You're not wrong in your assessment of him in terms of on field performance. I would love to see him move away from this whole comic book cartoon "Thor" stuff. Get more cerebral on the mound. Stop trying to screw every blond floozy you can find on Instagram and just be a ballplayer. He's so talented that an ERA that's between 3.00-3.50 for him in a year is legitimate underachievement.

I hope for the bolded too, but I'm not 100% sure that he will...that, and I wonder if his body if up to the rigors of being a starting pitcher.  The guy does have a propensity for getting hurt. 

An article basically saying the Mets are a 2019 interest story mostly because of their pure dumpster-fire potential...and how little sense the Cano deal really made:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-are-reaching-for-relevance-with-the-robinson-cano-trade-and-it-makes-them-one-of-2019s-most-compelling-teams/

Dipoto still probably can't believe that he was able to pull this off. 

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hope for the bolded too, but I'm not 100% sure that he will...that, and I wonder if his body if up to the rigors of being a starting pitcher.  The guy does have a propensity for getting hurt. 

An article basically saying the Mets are a 2019 interest story mostly because of their pure dumpster-fire potential...and how little sense the Cano deal really made:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-are-reaching-for-relevance-with-the-robinson-cano-trade-and-it-makes-them-one-of-2019s-most-compelling-teams/

Dipoto still probably can't believe that he was able to pull this off. 

The train wreck potential is all out sports world laughing stock. Sadly we're too used to this. When the Mets go bad it's not just a bad year and off the radar. They become a nationwide laughingstock.

But if Cano falls off quickly and Diaz becomes an irrelevant asset (because we can't lead late in games) or just becomes another here today gone tomorrow reliever...then BVW has made a fireable offense

Edited by '7'

34 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Geez, what’s the bloody point of a five minute three question presser?  Did Diaz even get a question?

Dare I ask what happened...

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Dare I ask what happened...

The presser was basically over at 11:15, they got maybe 4-5 questions in at most - three to Cano (one in Spanish) and one to Brodie before breaking off into individual groups. It’s just annoying they seem to be catering to the media more than the fans. I wanted to listen to these guys talk while I had the radio on darnit.

The questions were just basic crap too. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

38 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The presser was basically over at 11:15, they got maybe 4-5 questions in at most - three to Cano (one in Spanish) and one to Brodie before breaking off into individual groups. It’s just annoying they seem to be catering to the media more than the fans. I wanted to listen to these guys talk while I had the radio on darnit.

The questions were just basic crap too. 

Sounds very Met-like. 

BTW is it me or does everything that comes out of Jeffy's mouth make you wanna punch him right in the face?  God I can't stomach that guy...

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/robinson-cano-edwin-diaz-trade-1.24213879

Stop pretending to be a baseball man Jeffy.  You'll never be one. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol it’s not like the Phillies can’t acquire a closer by other means this offseason, they’ll actually spend money while we had to make an almost salary neutral deal the next two years for Cano and Diaz.

That's exactly the kind of sh!t that Mets fans DON'T need to hear, truly...so the Mets are basically still cheap AND stupid.  So now instead the Phils will go out and spend for Kimbrel or one of the other available FA closers.  Wow, well done Jeffy...mission accomplished I guess. 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sounds very Met-like. 

BTW is it me or does everything that comes out of Jeffy's mouth make you wanna punch him right in the face?  God I can't stomach that guy...

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/robinson-cano-edwin-diaz-trade-1.24213879

Stop pretending to be a baseball man Jeffy.  You'll never be one. 

Nelson Doubleday's words continue to ring true. And they will haunt us for some time

Not really sure what I think of this Phillies trade but they do get the edge. They got offense of one sort while giving up offense of another. Juan Nicasio was a disaster last year but James Pazos was quite solid. Thing is he doesn't have any sort of career body of work. He'll be 28 in May and has only pitched 112 innings of major league relief ball. Phillies better hope they don't get 2014 and 2015 Jean Segura