New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Looks like Ramos might be headed to the DL (shoulder issues)...so if course, it's Robles who will get look 10000.  

Was a great article in the Post about how the Mets can't just dole out endless chances to both Vargas and Ramos (this is before he went for an MRI)...at least the local coverage is starting to call Sandy out on his bullsh!t.  

Just demand a trade Jake.  You're better than the Mets.  I hope you find your way onto a real winner someday.  

Mickey should really start using the George Costanza method to managing...whatever you want to do, do the opposite!  Cause literally every bullpen move or non-move the last few days has backfired.  Not that it's hard considering this bullpen stinks, but still it seems like every time he either leaves in a struggling pitcher or doesn't go to a hot pitcher and watches someone else blow it.

Yeah, in Game 1 yesterday Mickey was kind of damned either way...obviously, he wasn't feeling great about Familia (neither is anyone else), so he decided to roll with the hot hand in Lugo for two innings, even after Lugo had already given up a run.  I guess one can argue that maybe Lugo was given one too many hitters, but the guy who was up wasn't exactly a beast at the plate.  Sometimes crazy sh!t happens (though it seems to happen to the Mets all of the time). 

I can't say Callaway is filling me up with confidence at the moment, and he's sounded downright dopey and clueless at times, but at the same time, the guys on the field need to get sh!t done sometimes too.  Sandy's "big" offseason signing (Jay Bruce) looks like he's right back to being 2014-15 Bruce...goddamn this fvcking team... 

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And now Thor to the DL with a strained ligament in his finger...you really can’t make this sh!t up.

Every year. It just doesn't matter that we cleaned house with Ray Ramirez and exactly zero has changed. Injuries piling up week after week...bizarre injuries cropping up. It truly is like the mid to late 90's Washington Capitals who would always lead the league in man games lost and by a lot. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, in Game 1 yesterday Mickey was kind of damned either way...obviously, he wasn't feeling great about Familia (neither is anyone else), so he decided to roll with the hot hand in Lugo for two innings, even after Lugo had already given up a run.  I guess one can argue that maybe Lugo was given one too many hitters, but the guy who was up wasn't exactly a beast at the plate.  Sometimes crazy sh!t happens (though it seems to happen to the Mets all of the time). 

I can't say Callaway is filling me up with confidence at the moment, and he's sounded downright dopey and clueless at times, but at the same time, the guys on the field need to get sh!t done sometimes too.  Sandy's "big" offseason signing (Jay Bruce) looks like he's right back to being 2014-15 Bruce...goddamn this fvcking team... 

The bullpen is overworked early unfortunately because none of our starters were able to go deep in April and May. What the hell is the bullpen going to look like when July rolls. It could be a patchwork "pray they hit it at someone" situation that we all sat through in 2008 with Luis Ayala trotting out there. 

Callaway is experiencing some growing pains...I don't think he's a total dope like Terry could be but you know I don't see how this guy was so special and how he could possibly blow anybody away in his interviews. Maybe he's just one of those folks who talks a big game and then performs mediocre at his job. And they exist in all professions. I just wish for once we had a good x's and o's type.

Bobby Valentine could be "Top Step Bobby" and get on peoples nerves at times but as a purely smart baseball person...he has been better than every single person that has come after him. Every last one. In motivation, in strategy, in dealing with the media, in getting more out of teams than expected.

30 minutes ago, '7' said:

The bullpen is overworked early unfortunately because none of our starters were able to go deep in April and May. What the hell is the bullpen going to look like when July rolls. It could be a patchwork "pray they hit it at someone" situation that we all sat through in 2008 with Luis Ayala trotting out there. 

Callaway is experiencing some growing pains...I don't think he's a total dope like Terry could be but you know I don't see how this guy was so special and how he could possibly blow anybody away in his interviews. Maybe he's just one of those folks who talks a big game and then performs mediocre at his job. And they exist in all professions. I just wish for once we had a good x's and o's type.

Bobby Valentine could be "Top Step Bobby" and get on peoples nerves at times but as a purely smart baseball person...he has been better than every single person that has come after him. Every last one. In motivation, in strategy, in dealing with the media, in getting more out of teams than expected.

Re:  Callaway, much as I get frustrated and as much I hated his initial "We're gonna love these players" press conference, I have to give him a fair shot.  He does seem to say one thing and do another more than I'd like though. 

Re:  Bobby V, he was always his own worst enemy, and his faults pretty much ensured that he was only going to last so long at any given stop...and that's a shame, because I agree, beneath all of the stuff that could make him so damned annoying to so many, there was definitely a very smart baseball man in there.  But he constantly came off (somewhat paradoxically) as both acting like he was the smartest guy in the room, but somehow with a tremendous inferiority complex (and sadly that inferiority complex seemed to rear its ugly head time and time again against the Braves...the team seemed to take his lead on that).  And Mike Piazza said that though he liked Bobby V in some ways, he couldn't stand the way he would leak little snippets to the press...his ways of trying to motivate guys was could be very odd at times.  Also fair to remember that his teams often seemed to fall apart as seasons would end...thank God for Brad Clontz!   

Bobby V definitely had his disciples with the Mets, and a guy like him needs players like that to have success...we saw what happens when he goes to a team like the Red Sox, and no one can stand him from the get-go...as we know, for some reason managing in Japan seemed to agree with him completely.  It would've been interesting to see what he might've done with another MLB team while he was still in his early 50s...I had forgotten how long it had been between his Met and Sox gigs.  I had also forgotten that he was still pretty young when he first took the Mets gig...younger than I am now, in fact. 

I'm surprised Willie never got another shot.  Terry was here SO much longer than he ever should've been...the guy was a complete dope, one of the dumbest managers I think I've ever seen...it's amazing the Mets got to a World Series with him at the helm, because it was INSANE how often he got in the way in 2015.  I'd say his best work might've been done in 2016, but it did help a LOT that Gsellman and Lugo both came out of nowhere to pitch as well as they did.  But yeah, from a pure intelligence standpoint, Bobby V definitely had a lot of guys trumped.  Too bad he just could never evolve...I think there always be a bit of "could've been" with him.  The best thing that ever could've happened for him was to win the 2000 World Series.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Another lolMets game from the bullpen, big shocker.

And WTF is in the air with all these finger injuries now on the pitching staff?  Maybe they're all just tired of flipping off the bullpen every night :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

And with Teheran tomorrow expect it to be 10-0 Atlanta in the 3rd with Teheran likely going all 9 allowing 3 hits and under 100 pitches. He always pitches well against us and Vargas is rancid garbae

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

And of course Matz hut himself SWINGING THE DAMN BAT. When does this ever happen to other teams?

We've had three different pitchers get hurt swinging the bat this year alone...one of the annoying posters on NYFS uses every occasion like that to harp on the idiocy of having pitchers hit (the rare NL fan who's dying for the DH).

11 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp once again we're gonna be looking forward to the trade deadline only to be exacerbated when Sandy gets A-ball relievers for Cabrera, Famliia and whatever other bit parts he can sell.

That's one of many reasons that I don't want Sandy here.  He'll half-ass the deadline like he half-asses everything else.  Last year was a joke. 

Funny how the Braves enjoy a long stretch of prosperity, then (fairly) quickly find themselves heading there again, after being willing to tear it down.  Four rough years, but they were clearly building towards something, with an actual PLAN in mind.  Dipsh!t Sandy gets handed a decent crop of young talent, takes his sweet-ass time in trying to crack the 80-win barrier, and apparently our patience was rewarded with a brief two-year window.  Now he's going to keep scuffling with these aging and deeply flawed hitters and uber-injury-prone pitchers, so we can watch a "competitive" 75-80 win team for a while.  I'm sure he'll be telling us to be patient once more.  fvck that self-satisfied loser, and fvck this loser "we're never in any hurry" franchise.  

Mets 4.5 out of first and 3 out of the WC2 slot...the latter number sounds kind of good, until you realize that the Mets are already down to 5th place in the WC2 chase.  As for the division, the Nats have gotten their act together (they were too good not to), and the Phillies and Braves look like they're not going anywhere. 

Basically, as Mets continue to hover around .500, they'll continue to slip further and further back...I'm guessing that by the end of June/early July, they'll be pretty much out of both the division and WC2 race, unless a bunch of other teams fall back to the Mets. 

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's one of many reasons that I don't want Sandy here.  He'll half-ass the deadline like he half-asses everything else.  Last year was a joke. 

Funny how the Braves enjoy a long stretch of prosperity, then (fairly) quickly find themselves heading there again, after being willing to tear it down.  Four rough years, but they were clearly building towards something, with an actual PLAN in mind.  Dipsh!t Sandy gets handed a decent crop of young talent, takes his sweet-ass time in trying to crack the 80-win barrier, and apparently our patience was rewarded with a brief two-year window.  Now he's going to keep scuffling with these aging and deeply flawed hitters and uber-injury-prone pitchers, so we can watch a "competitive" 75-80 win team for a while.  I'm sure he'll be telling us to be patient once more.  fvck that self-satisfied loser, and fvck this loser "we're never in any hurry" franchise.  

Anything less than a 4 year window for what we had to sit through from 2009 to 2014 is absolutely unacceptable. Those were 6 years of absolutely crap. I know the Wilpons were of no help but it really says something about Sandy's connection and understanding of TODAYS game of baseball that he only really won with Omars guys. I never thought I'd be saying this (mostly because of how rocky and embarrassing his departure was especially with the Bernazard stuff) but Omar looks better with every passing day. And it wouldn't shock me if the GM job goes right back to Minaya once Sandy steps down (and I have a feeling he may in 2 to 3 years) but Minaya just had a better eye for what pure baseball talent looks like. It wasn't the best conditions for sellers at last years deadline but still his returns on our trades were pretty putrid. At least Nimmo is looking good though as a bit of a late bloomer. But he gets on base and it looks like he can be more than just a very good 4th outfielder, but an actual top 3 guy.

I hate the Braves but they always seem to do it right. I know they've been through some overhauls since John Schuerholz has been gone but I believe a lot of great baseball people that he installed at all different levels in that organization over many years still remain and perpetuate a culture of excellence there.

Todd Frazier FINALLY going to play in some AAA games this weekend. It's amazing how he seemed to be a solid reliable 150 game a year guy until he gets here. I mean nothing ever happened to him until he put on the orange and blue

58 minutes ago, '7' said:

Anything less than a 4 year window for what we had to sit through from 2009 to 2014 is absolutely unacceptable. Those were 6 years of absolutely crap. I know the Wilpons were of no help but it really says something about Sandy's connection and understanding of TODAYS game of baseball that he only really won with Omars guys. I never thought I'd be saying this (mostly because of how rocky and embarrassing his departure was especially with the Bernazard stuff) but Omar looks better with every passing day. And it wouldn't shock me if the GM job goes right back to Minaya once Sandy steps down (and I have a feeling he may in 2 to 3 years) but Minaya just had a better eye for what pure baseball talent looks like. It wasn't the best conditions for sellers at last years deadline but still his returns on our trades were pretty putrid. At least Nimmo is looking good though as a bit of a late bloomer. But he gets on base and it looks like he can be more than just a very good 4th outfielder, but an actual top 3 guy.

I hate the Braves but they always seem to do it right. I know they've been through some overhauls since John Schuerholz has been gone but I believe a lot of great baseball people that he installed at all different levels in that organization over many years still remain and perpetuate a culture of excellence there.

Not like I make any secret about how I feel about Sandy.  Agree in that more and more I think not only has the game just left him and his complete lack of any creativity in the dust, but I don't think he has the energy to be a GM either.  Yeah, rode Omar's guys as long as he could because Sandy sure didn't bring many guys of his own in (not ones with much success, anyway...yes, there's been exceptions, but we've seen how bad Sandy's "norm" has been).  And yeah, that fvcker better not even begin to preach to me about patience.  Been there done that.  Only way I'll sit through a rebuild/overhaul is if another GM is calling the shots. 

If Omar were EVER given a chance to be a GM again, hopefully he's learned from his past mistakes.  Because the eye for talent is there.  I have no idea WHAT Sandy brings at all.  All I've seen him do lately is piss money away for the sake of pissing it away, and just about always find a way to be the last guy in line at the buffet table. 

Yeah, Braves are light-years ahead of the Mets in how they do just about everything.  Sadly, they're not alone. 

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

So, question: what would it take from the Yankees to get DeGrom or Syndergaard? Assume that anyone not named Bird, Judge, Sanchez, Severino, or Torres is available. And for the sake of this exercise, assume that you'd actually make any trade with the Yankees.

Does something like Andujar or Tyler Austin, Clint Frazier, and a few B-level prospects bring back either? You get an immediate starting 3rd baseman or 1st baseman (if Adrian Gonzalez remembers that it's 2018 any time soon), and Frazier is an MLB-ready bat who would immediately be one of the most exciting young bats the Mets have had in a long time. (He's currently one of the most exciting young bats the Yankees have had in a long time). 

Am I way off on value here? 

I don't think both will be traded but one or the other may be. And even though he has the age edge I think it will be Syndergaard who would end up going simply because he's not quite living up to expectations and now getting nicked up a bit more often. deGrom is just a flat out horse. An Ace who deserves the big contract. He's earned it and I hope we give it to him

If I were the Mets I would demand one of Bird, Sanchez, Severino or Torres. Judge will not be on the table I don't expect him to be for the Yanks