New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Nice crisp pair of games from the Mets pitchingwise although Thor was too inefficient today and Harvey only went five yesterday though even his five was encouraging.  Our questionable pen has so far held up and they did just enough offensively to get to 4-1 with another big shot from Yo and Rosario's tie-breaking triple.

Actually listened to some of the Facebook game but I'd have been better off with Howie and Lewin.  Not that I don't like Cliffy (Floyd) and John Kruk's whatever but I wasn't really watching it anyway.

Yeah weird kind of start to Thor's season...doing just enough to not be as good as he should be, though it's only two starts.

Still too focused on the Devils to really feel the Mets, but at least they're 4-1 to start their season.  

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Nice crisp pair of games from the Mets pitchingwise although Thor was too inefficient today and Harvey only went five yesterday though even his five was encouraging.  Our questionable pen has so far held up and they did just enough offensively to get to 4-1 with another big shot from Yo and Rosario's tie-breaking triple.

Actually listened to some of the Facebook game but I'd have been better off with Howie and Lewin.  Not that I don't like Cliffy (Floyd) and John Kruk's whatever but I wasn't really watching it anyway.

Yes. Bit early to make any serious judgement but good to see a clutch hit from Rosario. Yo is being Yo. When he's in this lineup, which hasn't been enough during his tenure here, he flat out rakes. He's so damn strong even pitches that he looks like he may have been fooled on go out of the park. I was also bearish on the Phillies this year and again while still early they've done nothing to dispel that notion.

Floyd I'm sure will sprain a vocal chord soon and will be gone until the ASB.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah weird kind of start to Thor's season...doing just enough to not be as good as he should be, though it's only two starts.

Still too focused on the Devils to really feel the Mets, but at least they're 4-1 to start their season.  

Finally. Actually feels like things are back to normal. In previous years I was already losing my mind with Terry letting starters throw 115 pitches in 30 degree weather and Granderson striking out 4 times a game, every game.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yes. Bit early to make any serious judgement but good to see a clutch hit from Rosario. Yo is being Yo. When he's in this lineup, which hasn't been enough during his tenure here, he flat out rakes. He's so damn strong even pitches that he looks like he may have been fooled on go out of the park. I was also bearish on the Phillies this year and again while still early they've done nothing to dispel that notion.

Floyd I'm sure will sprain a vocal chord soon and will be gone until the ASB.

Imagine if Calloway had the start of the season that Gabe Kapler did in Atlanta, yeesh. He might actually get booed during home opener intros which would be pretty rare even in Philly.

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Imagine if Calloway had the start of the season that Gabe Kapler did in Atlanta, yeesh. He might actually get booed during home opener intros which would be pretty rare even in Philly.

I was thinking the other day will an Eagles Super Bowl result in any mellowing for that city across all sports, because the Eagles are the undisputed 1 there...doubt it will

Three ejections already for the Nats in this series already.  Makes you wonder if they're already feeling a little tight.

Better game for Matz, but these guys have to learn how to labor less one of these years.  Can't keep getting 5 IP-type outings from the starting pitchers.

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Three ejections already for the Nats in this series already.  Makes you wonder if they're already feeling a little tight.

Better game for Matz, but these guys have to learn how to labor less one of these years.  Can't keep getting 5 IP-type outings from the starting pitchers.

I think the Nats are pressing a bit. Not that it's anywhere close to crunch time. They'll get their sh!t together and make a charge as usual but I think they're also finding out the Mets may be a huge pain in the butt as well as the season rolls on. Other than 2015 too many of the past years have been super cruise control type seasons for them.

I too hate these 5ip super laboring type outings. It wears the pen down, it portends future arm issues. A win is a win and this team has done plenty of that so I don't want to complain but what is Matz going to be in  August if he can't extend it a bit? And a lot of it is just mental too. You have to be able to know when to out think them, when out pitch them, and when to concede a little bit...every AB can't be a 14 pitch fight to the death. Sometimes you have to leave some in the tank for the 6th and 7th...have faith in your stuff, and let them put it in play and rely on the gloves you have back there. Tom Seaver used to always say things like this.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Harper jumps all over a Harvey meatball for a 2-run shot.  And now Harvey gives up a double.  We know that Matt's not usually one to battle...this one could get ugly in a hurry.

He gets out of the first with no further damage, but it looks like the Nats hitters are right on him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Can't help but wonder how the Mets are going to get Rosario to stop swinging at everything.  He's going to get himself out a lot.

Wow Gonzalez with a GS...that was one you could see coming...after three BBs and a mound visit, you had a feeling Roark was going to throw an obvious strike on his first pitch to Gonzalez...he was clearly quite ready for it.

Harvey folding like the cheap hittable tent he is.  Almost gives up a grand slam after making an error and hitting Eaton to load the bases.

How annoying is that douche who keeps making that high-pitched screaming sound every time a pitch is thrown to a Met hitter?  Holy sh!t...

Seeing the bad side of the Met offense against the Nats' BP...so many Ks...

And how funny is it that the Mets fans in attendance are easily drowning out their Nats counterparts?

Wow was that stupid on Cabrera's part.  Really feels like it's only a matter of time before the Nats just finish this one off, now that the Mets are K'ing like crazy. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And how funny is it that the Mets fans in attendance are easily drowning out their Nats counterparts?

Wow was that stupid on Cabrera's part.  Really feels like it's only a matter of time before the Nats just finish this one off, now that the Mets are K'ing like crazy. 

That's the bad thing about extra inning games, everyone tries to hit solo HR's although it shouldn't be as pronounced on the road when it doesn't really end the game.  Of course I'd still take this K-fest over the stupid put a man on second to start the inning college football version of extra innings they're doing in the minors this year.

And having an April Sunday night game should just be outlawed.  I know April games in cold-weather cities can't be avoided, but at night this early...really?  Should have put Ohtani on at night :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's the bad thing about extra inning games, everyone tries to hit solo HR's although it shouldn't be as pronounced on the road when it doesn't really end the game.  Of course I'd still take this K-fest over the stupid put a man on second to start the inning college football version of extra innings they're doing in the minors this year.

This game is reminding me what I hate about the modern game.  Damned near NO ONE makes adjustments with two strikes...everyone just keeps on taking these great big cuts.  fvcking "strikeouts are OK" sabermetricians.  Way too much brawn, not enough brain. 

Wow brutal loss and series sweep for the Nats.  Not that they can't recover (and this Met team is still very flawed, especially on offense, and there's multiple question marks in the starting rotation), but it's still a big start for the Mets. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And I'll be darned if he does it only allowing a two-out double to Difo, but getting Eaton for the final out.  A freaking sweep of the Nationals in DC.  It's early but this team does have a little bit of a 2015-late 2016 type feel to it.

Feels like a bit of smoke-and-mirrors at the moment...doesn't mean I won't happily take this start to the season, but Harvey is still not good.  And it's going to get very ugly with this offense at times.