Sign in to follow this  
NJDevs4978

New York Mets 2018 season thread

Surprisingly, the Mets have actually been decent overall within the NL East:

A win tonight makes them 11-6 against the Phils.

10-6 vs the Marlins

8-7 vs the Nats

The Braves have been the big exception:  4-12 against them.  

22 RBI in a meaningless September.  Stop making a big deal out of this.  Sure, it's nice...better than the alternative.  But let me see it happen over a full season, on a team that's actually relevant.

Wheeler up to 182.1 IP on his season...of course, now there's talk of shutting him down.  Whatever they want to do I guess.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

22 RBI in a meaningless September.  Stop making a big deal out of this.  Sure, it's nice...better than the alternative.  But let me see it happen over a full season, on a team that's actually relevant.

Wheeler up to 182.1 IP on his season...of course, now there's talk of shutting him down.  Whatever they want to do I guess.

With Conforto he has to carry this over into next season. We cannot afford to have him hit the occasional garbage time home run and otherwise maintain a 200k pace with a .210 batting average. This year he gets a mulligan. He suffered a strange injury for a hitter and wasn't himself until fairly recently. For this team to succeed the Michael Conforto we see now has to be the real Conforto

I say shut down Wheeler and shop him heavily in the offseason. Not saying he absolutely has to be traded but this season may never come again in terms of health, control and efficiency

Edited by '7'

22 minutes ago, '7' said:

With Conforto he has to carry this over into next season. We cannot afford to have him hit the occasional garbage time home run and otherwise maintain a 200k pace with a .210 batting average. This year he gets a mulligan. He suffered a strange injury for a hitter and wasn't himself until fairly recently. For this team to succeed the Michael Conforto we see now has to be the real Conforto

Even this version is a little misleading...yeah, he's definitely been better since the ASB...he has a .278/.346/.547 overall since 7/20, but a big chunk of that was from 7/20 - 8/16...he slashed .320/.400/.570 in that stretch.  Since then he's at .241/.295/.527 (30 games...it's his 9 HRs that are propping this 30-game stretch up)...I get that there's ebb-and-flow, and you can absolutely live with his overall post-ASB slash, but even now, I'm not sure who the real Conforto is. 

And on the pitching front, Vargas has actually been pretty good over his last 6 starts:  32 IP, 27 H (5 HR allowed though), 11 ER, 8 BB, 27 K, 3.09 ERA...he's also 4-2.  This is bad because if he manages to do this for two more starts (he figures to get a couple more), the Mets will almost undoubtedly buy in and not try to upgrade the back end of the rotation.  Not good (unless they're considering giving Lugo and/or Gsellman another chance to crack the rotation next season). 

Not like they really CAN get rid of Vargas though, unless he pitches better.  He’s obviously not going to the pen and we both know they’re not eating the $8 million lol. The most we can hope for is he pitches well enough so some pitching desperate team takes him in exchange for an expensive expiring contract in the pen/another position player. A Harvey-Mesoraco type deal if you will.

Edited by NJDevs4978