New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Big win yesterday...now 6.5 up on the Nats, who can't seem to pull themselves together...easy to forget that they started off 4-0...they've gone 6-14 since.  They still have plenty of time to get their act together though. 

Yesterday was a good win to pretty much cleanse away that wretched Braves loss where we were up 3-0 in the 8th. The pen got its rest and Sewald, Gsellman, and Familia did the job. Always helps when Ramos doesn't come into the game to muck things up

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Yesterday was a good win to pretty much cleanse away that wretched Braves loss where we were up 3-0 in the 8th. The pen got its rest and Sewald, Gsellman, and Familia did the job. Always helps when Ramos doesn't come into the game to muck things up

As much as I do like hit suppressors (like Clippard could be in his prime), I really hate risky bullpen guys who are always in danger of walking the ballpark when they come into a game.  Ramos definitely doesn't give up too many hits, but the problem is his WHIPs have gone up the past 2 seasons...his career WHIP through 2015 was 1.18.  Since the start of 2016, his WHIP has been 1.38...and he's also hit 6 batters and thrown 14 wild pitches, and walked 5.3 per 9 IP.  It's really hard to feel good about him coming into a close game.  He's an explosive disaster waiting to happen. 

We knew with this road trip and such a crazy hot start, that there was going to be some leveling off, and we've seen just that...Mets are 4-5 in their last 9.  They got to 10 over .500 so fast that I can't really complain much if they hover there for a while...especially since there's still plenty of question marks.  So far they're 2-2 on this trip that will now only be nine games long instead of 10...I'll take 4-5 or 5-4.  That means they're coming home 17-9 or 18-8. 

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Matz has zero mental toughness. Things always get away from him and he can't ever put a lid on any brewing situations. Another one our offense has to dig us out of

Harvey, Matz, Wheeler...I'm pretty much done with them all. 

Harvey now being a real d!ck to the media as well...to an extent, I definitely get being salty with the media, as they can definitely be plenty annoying, but apparently it's impossible for Harvey not to come off like an entitled thin-skinned douche.  I can't wait till he takes his lame nicknamed act elsewhere. 

The funny thing is the one guy who comes off better than the rest BY FAR (deGrom) simply goes out there and gets the job done the majority of the time.  And oh yeah, unlike Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler, he doesn't fold like the cheapest of tents when things aren't going his way.  None of those guys have any fight in them. 

And feel free to start exploring bringing in a catcher any day now Sandy.  This team can't be expected to keep pulling out wins with a salami bat SS, the pitcher, and no-hit catchers in the lineup, along with the usual array of low BA/high K boom-or-bust power hitters you're so fond of stocking up on.  Nido, Lobaton, and Plaw are not sufficient offensive players.  Don't even try to spin how the Mets can get by with them.  Way too many easy outs in the lineup right now, and soon it's going to undo a fine start to the season.

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Offense AND the defense not helping Thor out, sheesh.

Not to mention Callaway really seems to be pushing his luck.  Was it REALLY necessary to keep pushing Noah there?  The later innings weren't exactly easy for him, even though his pitch count was solid for that point in the game.  And most of the pen had a day off yesterday, thanks to Oswalt.  That's TC-style managing. 

And it just bit you in the ass Mickey...way to go.  We could've just kept TC around if that's the kinds of decisions you're going to make.

And sorry Amed, I know we've gotta deal with ups and downs in your first full season, but if you're not going to hit much, at least be better defensively. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I was also a little uneasy at Thor coming out for the 8th although we've been so conditioned to pitchers coming out after 65-70 pitches that starting an inning with a little over 90 seems like a lot :P

Sure, and if Thor was cruising, I would've been fine with keeping him in the game.  But the 5-7 innings were a lot more work, and the BP had gotten some rest.  Sometimes you just gotta say "Thanks for seven strong, we're gonna call it a day and hand it off to our 'pen."  If the pen had blown it, I wouldn't have gotten on Mickey there.  If the pen was sorely gassed (say coming off a 13-14 inning game where a lot of guys had been used), I don't get on Mickey either.  The ironic thing is by trying to "save" the pen by attempting to squeeze one more inning out of Thor, this game could wind up going to extra innings, which could wind up taxing the pen anyway.  Just a bad job by Mickey today.  Might have cost the Mets a shot at a win. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure, and if Thor was cruising, I would've been fine with keeping him in the game.  But the 5-7 innings were a lot more work, and the BP had gotten some rest.  Sometimes you just gotta say "Thanks for seven strong, we're gonna call it a day and hand it off to our 'pen."  If the pen had blown it, I wouldn't have gotten on Mickey there.  If the pen was sorely gassed (say coming off a 13-14 inning game where a lot of guys had been used), I don't get on Mickey either.  The ironic thing is by trying to "save" the pen by attempting to squeeze one more inning out of Thor, this game could wind up going to extra innings, which could wind up taxing the pen anyway.  Just a bad job by Mickey today.  Might have cost the Mets a shot at a win. 

Yep that's exactly why I was queasy about him coming out for the 8th.  It's not like taking Matz out after he retired nine straight in the 4th inning (and that didn't exactly help his confidence).

Did anyone really think the Mets were winning that game after Blown Lead #2?

By all means, keep giving Ultimate Loser Jose Reyes big ABs.  Guy NEVER comes through in a spot like that.  And keep letting losers like Lagares hang around, you reap what you sow.  Same ol sh!t.

lol give me a break, they're really gonna try to lock this 5-0 game down with Harvey?  Well he BETTER not screw this up or might as well just boot him to Bingo now.  At least Cabrera's still doing his best 2015 Ces impression.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Really hope Vargas can solidify this rotation...Matz and Wheeler suck.

Seems like it's only a matter of time before Harvey is dealt (for pennies) or sent down, although I don't know what can be done about Harvey's absolutely lifeless fastball.  

On 4/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It would have been nice if Lagares had caught that ball though, was smoked to the wall but you should be in a no-doubles D with your supposed best defender out there and not have to backpedal.

Thanks again Jeurys

Not the same Familia anymore and I'm not sure he'll ever be. He used to start inning like that all the time in his prime. Then he's bear down and strike out a guy and induce a DP grounder. Would happen all the time. Not anymore. 

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Really hope Vargas can solidify this rotation...Matz and Wheeler suck.

Seems like it's only a matter of time before Harvey is dealt (for pennies) or sent down, although I don't know what can be done about Harvey's absolutely lifeless fastball.  

I would deal him for whatever we can get. Don't want him being a surly cancer anywhere else in this organization. His ego is too big for the minors anyway. There's nothing really to work on or fix. He's just lost it and if he ever regains it, I doubt it'll be here. In order for him to be successful he has to become a finesse pitcher. Age is not on his side either

And when he's gone nobody in that clubhouse will miss him

Edited by '7'

39 minutes ago, '7' said:

I would deal him for whatever we can get. Don't want him being a surly cancer anywhere else in this organization. His ego is too big for the minors anyway. There's nothing really to work on or fix. He's just lost it and if he ever regains it, I doubt it'll be here. In order for him to be successful he has to become a finesse pitcher. Age is not on his side either

And when he's gone nobody in that clubhouse will miss him

Agree, at this point, just get him the hell outta here.  I don't think he has a comeback in him...definitely not as a Met.