New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Considering the Mets are dead too it's probably okay to have crossover for a while, especially for this week since they're playing each other in that now passe Subway Series.  The sad part is if both teams were good there'd still be some juice to these games but frequently one team or the other (usually ours) is down and that takes away from these games.  If deGrom and Severino were matched up in either game I'd actually watch but beside that I have zero interest.

Don't even know how active this thread's gonna be with just the three of us and occasional pop-ins from others in the second half apart from the usual landmarks (division matchups, trade deadline, the inevitable injury woes and contreversy).

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's all good KKITB...it's fine if you want to talk Yankee ball in here.  I don't mind a break from ranting about what a useless POS zilch Sandy Alderson is.  Some of Omar's act definitely wore thin near the end of his run here, but I don't think I've ever wanted to see a Met GM canned as badly as I want this fraud gone.  If not for a crop of Omar's players all coming up at the right time, Sandy has done damned near nothing since becoming the GM.   

God does Jason Vargas suck giant balls.  But he'll keep getting more starts of course. 

Has is right...if there were highly touted AAA prospects about ready to play with the big club, then this thread would be more active as the season wears on.  But Dominic Smith is off to an awful start with Vegas (.260/.350/.375 slash...pretty bad for a second-year PCL prospect, especially since he slashed .330/.386/.519 last year), and there just isn't much help coming.  Mets have pretty much graduated whatever youth was worth talking about (and there wasn't much of it).

Getting no-hit by a guy who had a BA against of over .350.  Can't fvcking make this sh!t up.  Keep telling yourself it will get better Sandy.

One thing about Sandy's Mets...just when you think they've hit rock bottom, they manage to set the bar even lower.  Bravo!

Sorry Fred and Jeffy, looks like another season with no meaningful games in September is pretty much a guarantee at this point. 

Looks like deGrom vs Tanaka, Matz vs German, and Vargas vs Severino.  Based on the pitching matchups, I'd say the Mets have an outside chance of winning two games, but with the way the Mets (never) hit, it's hard to think that it will happen.  I'm guessing the Yankees take two of three (and will REALLY beat up on Vargas...I think the Yankees score 10+ in the finale of the series without too much trouble). 

Ironically, deGrom's starts are actually the most frustrating to watch...because there's Jake, just doing his thing, mowing down the other team...and then there's the Mets salami bats, not scoring runs for him at all.  Apparently Cespedes has decided (for the moment) that pretty soon, maybe he can bothered to play for a while.  Not sure how much he'll be motivated when he does actually take the field, but the fact that he's daring to grace all of us lucky folk with his presence should be seen as a positive development I guess.  Maybe he's feeling just the slightest bit guilty for suckering Sandy into signing him to big money (well, big money for the Mets, anyway). 

Mickey's about to find out what pressure is really like in NY...maybe after he's canned, he can go beg Terry Francona for his old job back.  Sad, but Callaway is so not equipped to deal with NY, and it's showing more and more everyday. 

Five hits against this awesome Orioles staff so far...in 15 innings.  Outstanding.  fvck you Sandy.

This is the worst stretch of offense I've ever seen them go through (and I've witnessed some awful ones) but this is embarrassing beyond belief

Callaway is absolutely finished. He needs to go yesterday

7 runs in 6 games is impossibly bad

Edited by '7'

Seriously...for once Sandy in your goddamn sorry Met career, don't be so fvcking disinterested and passive and get rid of one of your biggest mistakes once and for all.  Callaway can't handle New York.  

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seriously...for once Sandy in your goddamn sorry Met career, don't be so fvcking disinterested and passive and get rid of one of your biggest mistakes once and for all.  Callaway can't handle New York.  

I'm sitting here befuddled. How the hell did he even get this job?

You know what? Ultimately this is the fault of the Mets. Mickey Callaway is throwing up all over himself in our dugout because we don't have the right people asking the right questions during the process. If somebody like him slipped through the crack,s then what the hell else is slipping through the cracks?

Edited by '7'

Right now I'd settle for them getting rid of Reyes and A-Gone (who's basically combined all of his production into four games this season and is hitting .200 other than that).  But I doubt we can even count on that since they're supposedly worried about giving Reyes a 'proper sendoff' given his history with the organization :P

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm sitting here befuddled. How the hell did he even get this job?

You know what? Ultimately this is the fault of the Mets. Mickey Callaway is throwing up all over himself in our dugout because we don't have the right people asking the right questions during the process. If somebody like him slipped through the crack,s then what the hell else is slipping through the cracks?

Reminds me of how Art Howe lit up the room.  The Wilpons need to swallow their pride and get some outside help the way Woody (to his credit, even if hasn't completely worked yet) did with Casserly during his last GM/coach search.  Cause they are gonna need to change both the GM and coach by season's end if they want to be taken seriously as a franchise.

Good god you think of the managers that have gone through here since Bobby V...Howe, Willie, Jerry Manuel, Terry and now Callaway.  Yeesh, sad part is Willie might have been the best of them and he presided over the ultimate gagjob in baseball history.  Or maybe Terry just for 2016 (not a typo).

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Reminds me of how Art Howe lit up the room.  The Wilpons need to swallow their pride and get some outside help the way Woody (to his credit, even if hasn't completely worked yet) did with Casserly during his last GM/coach search.  Cause they are gonna need to change both the GM and coach by season's end if they want to be taken seriously as a franchise.

Good god you think of the managers that have gone through here since Bobby V...Howe, Willie, Jerry Manuel, Terry and now Callaway.  Yeesh, sad part is Willie might have been the best of them and he presided over the ultimate gagjob in baseball history.  Or maybe Terry just for 2016 (not a typo).

Agree.  Wilpons are not baseball people, and Jeffy has ZERO business being involved in anything resembling a baseball decision.  They need to back the fvck away and not be involved...everything they touch instantly turns to sh!t.  They need to borderline BRIBE a good baseball man to come here, and then they need to let him do whatever he needs to do, no questions asked, zero interference...and they also need to understand that undoing some of Sandy's awful signings is going to cost some money up front.  A Frank Cashen-type would work wonders (though hopefully such a guy wouldn't lose his way the way Cashen did once his team became established). 

Yeah, gotta blow out Alderson and Callaway.  I'd say wait until the end of the year, but at this point I'm terrified that Sandy will do multiple stupid things at the deadline this year if left to his own devices...sure, the Wilpons could simply tell him that he's not allowed to make any significant deals, but then what's the point of keeping him around?  I fire him and Callaway ASAP...I honestly think Sandy would welcome being fired at this point...like a good con man he talks big, but never delivers, and no one can tell me that he cares one bit about trying to build a successful team...this offseason couldn't have been more mail-it-in, and he's stolen enough money from the Mets that he can just GTFO of here already.  I get being disillusioned somewhat when you're working for the Wilpons, but if you're so disinterested in trying to do the best that you can, then just fvcking LEAVE.  I then promote Ricco to interim GM...but basically tell Ricco he's handling mundane stuff for now (like call-ups and send-downs), and not to get too comfortable.  As far as the manager goes, does it really matter who's helming this team for the rest of 2018?  But you can't allow a guy who's simply unqualified to be a major league manager continue to be one, and Callaway fits that bill all too well.  Terry might have been dopey and old and out of touch in some ways and he was here way longer than he ever should have been, but (very sadly) there was at least a semblance of a major-league manager.  There is NONE of that with Callaway.  And though Terry definitely got a huge break in 2016 with Gsellman and Lugo coming up and pitching well, I agree, I think his best work might have come during that season. 

I'm still a little surprised Willie never got another shot, but from what I remember, he didn't interview well with his next potential team...was it the Brewers? 

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Right now I'd settle for them getting rid of Reyes and A-Gone (who's basically combined all of his production into four games this season and is hitting .200 other than that).  But I doubt we can even count on that since they're supposedly worried about giving Reyes a 'proper sendoff' given his history with the organization :P

Reyes can go fvck himself...whiny lil "Waaaaaa I'm not used to being a bench player" zilch...at this point, he's a lot better at hitting women than he is hitting baseballs.  Considering where his career was when the Mets brought him back, he's lucky he even got to keep playing at all.  But I don't give a flying fvck about him being some kind of "mentor" to Rosario (who just like Reyes seems very prone to brainfarts and mental lapses)...I'm not waiting around until mid-July, when Reyes might suddenly start to hit a little with the team 15 games under .500.  For once, have some fvcking balls and say goodbye to someone who contributes NOTHING.  And actually make sure it's a PERMANENT goodbye. 

So sick of "Mets considering releasing Reyes"...stop fvcking "considering" for a change!  Reyes sucked for a huge chunk of last season, and he's sucking for a big chunk of this one.  What the fvck more do you need to see?!  Why must everything be done at a glacial pace?  The Braves didn't fvck around...they quickly ascertained that Bautista wasn't to help them, and they moved on in a hurry.  Sure, Bautista's hit a little since coming to the Mets...but were the Braves in "Oh no, what if he plays well once he's gone?" mode.  No.  They made an actual decision and moved forward.  Think losers like Robles get endless chances if they're in the Braves organization? 

Well I guess the pipedream of Sandy getting fired is over

Lack of accountability from the top on down.  Of course it's entirely possible a carte blanche contract was needed to get Sandy into this job in the first place, but that's just shameful on the Wilpons if true.

Well that just sums up this embarrassment of a franchise perfectly.  There's no hope.  Once Sandy finally goes, maybe the Mets find a true genius by accident who can actually build and sustain something.  That's the only chance we've got.

lol Familia to the DL and now Thor scratched from the Sunday start after experiencing 'discomfort'...whoopee.

Just forefit these three games and spare Met fans the embarassment of getting run out of Citi Field by the Yankees as Giancarlo has his Yankee coming out party and hits like five HR's in his home stadium.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3-14 in their last 17. No pulse. No effort. No ability to even put a bat on the ball

Just pull the plug on Callaway. JUST DO IT ALREADY. I don't care if you put a half peeled potato in his place. 

Callaway is Kotite at this point

• Haha 1

The Mets offense reminds me of the Devils old shootout streak. Where basically you could've blindfolded orangutans on skates taking shootout attempts and they'd by chance score more goals than we did at the time.

Forget the lack of runs, the Mets have 32 hits in their last 7 games. All losses of course. I mean that's a little over 4 hits A GAME? That's impossible. I mean just random chance blind deaf and dumb people flailing a bat around would produce better outcomes just by chance. And this is what MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYERS are doing. And while I don't love the talent let's not pretend it's exactly late stage Luis Castillo out there. These guys have talent. You cannot excuse this kind of output over a 7 game stretch EVER. By any players

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Callaway is Kotite at this point

I say John MacLean but potato, potatoe.  At least Kotite lucked into some 10-6's with Buddy's team early in his career, MacLean was a guy you could clearly see was out of his depth from a few weeks into his first season.  That's Callaway now and not just with the on-field stuff but some of his excuse making and rationalizing in the pressers.

And like with MacLean and the Devils' historic lack of goalscoring, the Mets offense is achieving historic lows and neither team had bad enough players where they should be THIS bad.

Edited by NJDevs4978