New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp this could be a catastrophe, but it's certainly....interesting.

Looks like the Wilpons have officially run out of sharks to jump. 

Yes, this will absolutely be a catastrophe. 

• Haha 1

Bloom needed to be the guy but they mucked it up again. He's young, has the energy for it. Comes from a solid overachieving franchise where he held an important rule. And the fact that he even considered working for the Wilpons!  I'm surprised somebody of his caliber was actually interested. 

But no. We have to be stupid and hire Brodie Wagon or whatever his name is. Who has never worked in baseball operations in any way shape or form. He played in college 25 years ago. He's never scouted, he's never hired any scouts or had to work in any capacity to build a franchise, he's never made a trade, he's never evaluated players for an organization, he's never hired or fired a manager.

Why the hell is he even being considered. This will crash and burn from day 1. It's already starting with this http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25094062/players-concerned-mets-interviewing-agent-brodie-van-wagenen-gm

And Mets fans are overwhelmingly against this especially when we could've had bloom

The Wilpons are smarter than everyone don't you know.  Who could forget how hard Freddy fell for Art fvcking Howe!

Yes, the whole thing couldn't be more of a joke.  It's really hard not to be done with this franchise at this point.  I can't honestly give a legit reason for continuing to support them.  

It's an abject disaster from day 1. This really feels Garth Snow-ish. Not going to say Idzik because Idzik at least came from a legit football front office. How the hell did Brodie Wagon Man get even get on our radar? How is he going to upgrade our scouting department, retool the minors?

He's an agent ok. He played baseball in college 25 years ago wonderful. But if you sat me or Has or CR at the Mets GM's desk tomorrow we'd probably be more equipped and ready than Brodie. How well does he know the league and its players? What useful connections does he have?

2 hours ago, '7' said:

It's an abject disaster from day 1. This really feels Garth Snow-ish. Not going to say Idzik because Idzik at least came from a legit football front office. How the hell did Brodie Wagon Man get even get on our radar? How is he going to upgrade our scouting department, retool the minors?

He's an agent ok. He played baseball in college 25 years ago wonderful. But if you sat me or Has or CR at the Mets GM's desk tomorrow we'd probably be more equipped and ready than Brodie. How well does he know the league and its players? What useful connections does he have?

It's IMPOSSIBLE to find a positive angle on this one.  The funny thing is I could've understood this if there were no qualified candidates who wanted to work for the Mets...but Bloom was RIGHT.  fvckING.  THERE.  for the taking.  He would've made a ton of sense.  There was absolutely NO reason for the Mets go this far outside the box...especially since this franchise needs to try to establish some level of credibility, with just about everyone.  Now they have NONE.  And those two idiots who actually think they're friggin' baseball men...I'm just at a complete loss.  I used to think that under the right circumstances, the pond scum that is the Wilpons could somehow be overcome.  They can't.  There is no hope. 

Like you said...there is SO much that a GM needs to know, well beyond constructing the major-league roster.  And the Mets now have a guy who going to be learning on the fvcking job.  It's unfathomable. 

4 hours ago, '7' said:

How did he get on our radar?  Simple, he happens to - or did now that he has to divest his clients lol - rep our three most important players (Ces, deGrom, Thor) and other guys like Nimmo and Frazier too.  What that means for motivations on both sides, we can only speculate whether the Mets actually think in some deluded way this is going to get them a deal on deGrom, Thor and Nimmo down the road, or because he's just happy to get the prestige of a GM job that he'll do Jeff's bidding.  Maybe some combination of both.  But I don't believe this was some altrustic, intentional cutting edge hire the way maybe the Warrior and Laker agent GM's were in the NBA.  Maybe if it wasn't the Wilpons and they hired an agent that DIDN'T have such an extensive client list already on the roster I would be more willing to wait and see on this.

I can't ever mock Scott Boras for being the GM of the Nationals again :P  Boras of all people made some fair comments about the potential conflict of interest but I guess nobody's home in the MLB or players' union office.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 3 weeks later...

So happy for Jake.  And kudos to the voters for realizing that he was indeed the best (and by far the unluckiest) pitcher in the NL this season. 

And fvck you Sandy.  Just sayin'.  

It really was a privilege watching deGrom perform this year. And a great shame that we wasted this kind of year from him from a team standpoint. Some of it was the usual bad luck, the rest was usual Mets bungling and incompetence. But a 1.70 era nowadays is just remarkable. It's otherworldly really. If he adds a full run to it this year it will still be not just a good year, but a great year

Still amazes me he took 9 L's with a 1.70. I mean the guy should've won 20 games easy this year. Bob Gibson also somehow lost 9 games with a 1.12. But that was 1968 which was pretty much another dead ball era. At least he got his 20 wins

Edited by '7'

Re:  Gibson, he actually had an ERA of 0.86 in a 26-start stretch that season (from 4/26 - 9/2).  Included in that was four straight losses in which he had a 1.87 ERA over the four starts (allowing 3 ER in just one of those).  He actually had an ERA of 0.99 after his 9/2 start. 

BTW his ERA in his 12 starts that resulted in a loss or no-decision was 2.38.  In his 22 wins he gave up just 13 earned runs COMBINED.  And one ER or less in 20 of those.  Just insanity.

Not that I'm dead-set against the idea of this, but it's hard to imagine that the Mets won't completely fvck this up:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-mets-seriously-considering-trading-noah-syndergaard/ar-BBPXsad?li=BBnba9I&ocid=iehp

Yeah I don't really get the sudden fascination with trading Thor, especially since BVW was his agent...you have to wonder if he knows something we don't?  Plus if you trade him to fill 'multiple holes' now, where is your starting pitching coming from after 2019?  Assuming you don't give Wheeler big money (which could be craptastic) you'd have deGrom for one more year, Matz and ???

The funny thing is that I can understand the Mets not being that thrilled with Thor...he's had some injury issues all the way back to the minors, I don't think he's always had the best focus, and as we've discussed many times, for a guy with such good stuff, he gives up a lot of hits and doesn't seem to dominate as consistently as he should...he still seems like more of a thrower than a thinker.  In some ways, this past season's numbers look better than his season actually FELT. 

The problem is the Mets truly feel like a "Damned if the do, damned if they don't" team.  If they hang onto Thor, he'll get hurt and miss a half-season's worth of starts, or have a meh kind of year.  If they move him, he'll put it all together, while whatever they get back won't ever justify having traded him in the first place.  I probably won't feel great no matter what they do...but I'd lean towards keeping him at this point. 

Syndergaard is still more of a thrower than a pitcher, and this Thor myth has gone too his head a bit too much. One of his injuries over the past two years was borne out of sheer stupidity on the Mets and Noah's part. Something that any other franchise would've stepped in and avoided. I think as he matures (IF he matures) and learns how to harness his stuff and not let his ego get in the way, attempting to overpower everybody...he will end up being a damn good and durable starter.

Right now I'm not trading him but I am very intrigued at what the offers are. If there's a good pitching prospect among them who can step into the rotation right away then yes we'd have to consider it. Especially if a catching prospect is in the package too

Edited by '7'

Mets have hired Jim Riggleman as their bench coach which leads me to believe the leash for Mickey may be short if things go off the rails this year like they did last. Riggleman is not a long term manager of the future type guy at 66, his track record is mostly bad but he's had some bad rosters as well

Just now, '7' said:

Mets have hired Jim Riggleman as their bench coach which leads me to believe the leash for Mickey may be short if things go off the rails this year like they did last. Riggleman is not a long term manager of the future type guy at 66, his track record is mostly bad but he's had some bad rosters as well

Yeah everyone knows what's up with that.  We'll never know for sure, but I'm guessing "Full Automony" Brodie (Sorry pal, no such thing when the Wilpons are your bosses) wanted to can Mickey and bring in his own guy, was told no, so he went and got someone who can step in right away for the rest of the year if the Mets start off badly.  But yeah, I think it's a very short leash for Mickey, and I don't think he has the GM's support at all. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah everyone knows what's up with that.  We'll never know for sure, but I'm guessing "Full Automony" Brodie (Sorry pal, no such thing when the Wilpons are your bosses) wanted to can Mickey and bring in his own guy, was told no, so he went and got someone who can step in right away for the rest of the year if the Mets start off badly.  But yeah, I think it's a very short leash for Mickey, and I don't think he has the GM's support at all. 

I'm glad that they've likely at least recognized how woefully unprepared and in over his head Callaway was regarding his decision making as an in game tactician. From improper positioning of outfielders late to bringing in the wrong relievers at the wrong times. He pushed all the wrong buttons. And it was a terrible idea having Gary DiSarcina assist him in 2018 when he himself had no MLB managerial experience at all.

18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently Riggleman has been an in-season manager replacement FOUR different times lol...yeah I’d say Mickey should start planning to be future endeavored this year.

That is a great way to put it, heh heh

No, no, NO...Cano is 36 years old and is signed for FIVE MORE YEARS.  That could be a disaster, especially for an ownership that looks to cheap out whenever possible.