New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

So Francessa mentioned something about the Mets trading for Cano and Seattle retaining half his salary.  Couldn’t tell if this is something that’s being rumored or a caller brought it up before I turned the radio on.

He's piggybacking over that wild Andy Martino speculation.

I just don't think this is going to happen in the way Martino's speculating.  Getting Seattle to eat $50 million on the deal AND take back Bruce AND give us Diaz or Haniger seems a bit like fantasyland.  Any less than all that happening and I want no part of Cano.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Getting Cano at 36, ugh. I mean yes he still played at a high level last year coming off his PED suspension but you know he is right at that prime level for decline. And you just can't predict how guys decline. Some guys can still be fairly productive for a couple of years relatively speaking as they decline. Some guys forget how to swing a bat overnight seemingly. I wouldn't be afraid to take this risk if it was 2 more years he'd be signed for but five is obscene. Even with Seattle eating money the risk is far too great

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Getting Cano at 36, ugh. I mean yes he still played at a high level last year coming off his PED suspension but you know he is right at that prime level for decline. And you just can't predict how guys decline. Some guys can still be fairly productive for a couple of years relatively speaking as they decline. Some guys forget how to swing a bat overnight seemingly. I wouldn't be afraid to take this risk if it was 2 more years he'd be signed for but five is obscene. Even with Seattle eating money the risk is far too great

The merits of getting Cano or not, as someone who has a passive interest in the Mets, I think the GM is a sign that while money won’t get thrown around like the Yankees in 2009, that taking on Cano will not stop them from spending elsewhere.  Not that we know he’s a genius, only that he wasn’t someone who needed the job.  I doubt he would have taken it if he was told you get to spend $20 million on bringing in new players and that’s it, unlike some other retreads or assistant types that need a promotion from someone.  So maybe the Mets can afford to take a risk on him.  Remember it isn’t like hockey where one horrible Lucic contract can really screw you.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

The merits of getting Cano or not, as someone who has a passive interest in the Mets, I think the GM is a sign that while money won’t get thrown around like the Yankees in 2009, that taking on Cano will not stop them from spending elsewhere.  Not that we know he’s a genius, only that he wasn’t someone who needed the job.  I doubt he would have taken it if he was told you get to spend $20 million on bringing in new players and that’s it, unlike some other retreads or assistant types that need a promotion from someone.  So maybe the Mets can afford to take a risk on him.  Remember it isn’t like hockey where one horrible Lucic contract can really screw you.

If the Mets are going to spend big money anywhere, it's probably going to be on deGrom...which at that point, will be the "See we spent some big money what more do you want from us?" moment for the Wilpons...there won't be a some kind of follow-up to convince us that anything's truly changed.  The fact that the Mariners appear to be taking on a significant portion of Cano's remaining money shows that it's still mostly status quo in Metland...basically, more bargain hunting.  Meanwhile the Phillies are being linked to a lot of names...sure, let's see what actually happens first, but I don't see much happening of note this offseason...probably a questionable trade involving Syndergaard, more blind "If this guy does this and that guy does that" hope for the players already here, and maaaaaaaaaybe a big contract extension for deGrom (though the Mets can really wait a year on that one if they really wanted to).  I'm guessing a new catcher will be here too, but it won't be anyone to get excited about initially (in other words, won't be Realmuto). 

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Mets are going to spend big money anywhere, it's probably going to be on deGrom...which at that point, will be the "See we spent some big money what more do you want from us?" moment for the Wilpons...there won't be a some kind of follow-up to convince us that anything's truly changed.  The fact that the Mariners appear to be taking on a significant portion of Cano's remaining money shows that it's still mostly status quo in Metland...basically, more bargain hunting.  Meanwhile the Phillies are being linked to a lot of names...sure, let's see what actually happens first, but I don't see much happening of note this offseason...probably a questionable trade involving Syndergaard, more blind "If this guy does this and that guy does that" hope for the players already here, and maaaaaaaaaybe a big contract extension for deGrom (though the Mets can really wait a year on that one if they really wanted to).  I'm guessing a new catcher will be here too, but it won't be anyone to get excited about initially (in other words, won't be Realmuto). 

Then why does BVW take the job where his only big move will be to sign his own former client, which would have netted him more money personally than the GM job he now has?  He doesn’t really have any great minor league talent to trade for a big name.  Syndergaard and Wheeler probably dont bring back as much as people think until they  can show they can stay healthy.  

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

Good point. Yes perhaps big picture this is a good sign regarding possible future spending. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Phillies thing annoys me as they basically came out and said they will be a bit stupid with their spending, but for whatever fans they have at least it sends them a message that they desperately want to win and will throw every resource they have at winning. They have been awful 6 years in a row and had a terrible collapse late last season, but they will be a problem going forward. 

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oh brother, they really are going to do this aren’t they? Well at least it’s not trading Thor for scraps.

Wonder what's going back the other way.  At least it sounds like Bruce will be one of the pieces. 

ugh. Now hearing McNeil may be part of the deal. That's where I'd draw the line UNLESS we get somebody else back as well from Seattle (Haniger?) I'd want someone like that if we're throwing in a pitching prospect like Dunn

All McNeil did last year was hit

Also apparently Cano has been remarkably healthy throughout his career. Almost no trips to the DL

That's gonna change

Edited by '7'

If McNeil is part of the deal, then no thanks.  I'm not exactly thrilled with Cano coming here to begin with. 

3 hours ago, '7' said:

ugh. Now hearing McNeil may be part of the deal. That's where I'd draw the line UNLESS we get somebody else back as well from Seattle (Haniger?) I'd want someone like that if we're throwing in a pitching prospect like Dunn

All McNeil did last year was hit

Also apparently Cano has been remarkably healthy throughout his career. Almost no trips to the DL

That's gonna change

Basically the Mets are gonna screw this up being...the Mets.  Because they want Seattle to retain too much of the contract now they have to give up something that's gonna hurt instead of absorbing most of the damn contract (or just giving them Bruce and having a small retained fee on the back end).

lol TWO top prospects though I'm always wary of the pitchers for obvious reasons.  But really now...and we're gonna compound this by trading Thor to restock the farm and likely signing another FA to replace him that was a former BVW client.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol TWO top prospects though I'm always wary of the pitchers for obvious reasons.  But really now...and we're gonna compound this by trading Thor to restock the farm and likely signing another FA to replace him that was a former BVW client.

I'm 100% ALL for getting Sandy's awful signings the fvck outta here...I couldn't be happier that Swarzak and a loser like Bruce will be gone.  I'm not going to go too crazy about the Met prospects, because god knows we've had enough of them never do anything.  And at least McNeil is not a part of it (if he becomes part of it, then there's no other way to put it...BVW was way too desperate to make some kind of splash, and got taken to the cleaners by someone way more experienced).

Doesn't mean I love this deal as of now (I'm sure the Mariners are thrilled to have dumped Cano...they likely feel like the winners here, and I don't blame them one bit).  I do have to see what's coming after this move. 

And if anything, the Mets sure as hell better not try to sell me on "winning now" if they trade Syndergaard for prospects.  Sure, BVW might go out and sign some other arm to replace him, but even if the Mets are only taking on part of Cano's deal, I can see the Wilpons already pulling the purse-strings and only allowing BVW to go after a mid-tier or bargain-basement FA pitcher...a guy who will be an obvious downgrade from Syndergaard.  Like I mentioned before, in a lot of ways I actually get the Mets heavily considering moving on from Noah, but if they're going to do it, they can't fvck it up...and I strongly suspect that they will. 

BTW Mets have brought back Dilson Herrera...that better not be because McNeil is now being included in this trade.  This is going to be a fvcking disaster, I can smell it...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I would want a tad more from Seattle there. Robinson Cano as of today is a better player than Jay Bruce is today but Cano is so ripe for a dropoff of some sort. Granted Bruce aging will probably be even more nightmarish. He can barely move in the outfield as is. Watching him run after a ball that got by him in the gap is painful. Swarzak was an awful signing but with the way relievers are he'll probably stay healthy and bounce back next year.

But Kelenic and Dunn, these are two of our better young prospects from a system that has been thinned out of late. Yes we're getting a great closer in return but to me that's not enough to justify both Dunn and Kelenic plus Swarzak and a TBD reliever. We should be coming out of this with some sort of decent prospect from Seattle. Be it a catching prospect or relief prospect.

It's always great to have a great reliever, but how many leads is this team going to have in the late innings? What is Diaz value to us where we are now?

Glad McNeil is not involved (it seems) But I don't know if there's enough room on this team for both him and Flores. That or a Todd Frazier trade may be inevitable.

Cano also started to play a bit of 1b last year so I wonder if that's the plan going forward and they're considering dealing Alonso

Edited by '7'

Herrera is still only 24 and was a quality prospect at one point so maybe there is something we can salvage here. Was always impressed by his pop for someone who appeared to be a small dude. He's actually starting to learn how to play a bunch of different positions. Cinci tried him at 3rd, the outfield. Even first. So maybe he has some sort of future as a toolsy guy. He has good speed too though never developed into a base stealing threat. He showed potential to be one in the minors

Edited by '7'

As far as having a closer goes...it all goes back to how much you buy into the Mets' late-season "surge".  They went 31-20 over their final 51 GP.  I think the Mets feel that THAT team is the "real" Mets to a certain extent (which will only be made better by offseason moves), so now they want to have a legit closer. 

Do I think the above is foolish thinking?  Quite possibly.  At least the guy is young though, and under team control for several years. 

If the trade happens with the names involved, I can kinda live with it...I still think it's a win for Seattle in general, but for me, the tipping point is McNeil.  That's when BVW just has to say either "No", or have the Mariners sending more back the other way. 

I can't get excited about Herrera anymore...all he really has on his side now is youth.  He's never hit in the majors.  Feels like he had his chances.  I'm fine with the signing if it's strictly for depth or a guy to call up for a month or so if someone else gets hurt, but if it's because McNeil might get dealt...bleech.

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ugh. I really hope not. Not now I mean if this season goes off the rails too I wouldn't be so against trading him mid season especially if he's having a great year. The return from a desperate club that thinks he's the final piece could be tremendous.

But going into the year we need to hang on to Noah. 

Edited by '7'

Well if you’re going to do this kind of deal with two of your top prospects AND save a ton of money on the Cano contract (Martino seems to think the M’s are retaining $60 million in addition to the contracts they’re taking back) then you damn well better make more moves that may actually cost you real money, otherwise what’s the point?

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well if you’re going to do this kind of deal with two of your top prospects AND save a ton of money on the Cano contract (Martino seems to think the M’s are retaining $60 million in addition to the contracts they’re taking back) then you damn well better make more moves that may actually cost you real money. 

Definitely yes. And they have to make more moves because of the logjam bringing in Cano creates regarding McNeil and Alonso and their playing time.

If the plan is to play Cano at 1st then Alonso is gonzo. And he may be the guy to bring back the pitcher to replace Syndergaard if and when he gets traded. Alonso is already incredibly impatient and started yapping last year about not being brought up. He seems immature and it wouldn't shock me if the Mets view him as a potential problem going forward

The sample size is not large but all McNeil did last year was hit and get on base and not strike out. And he hit lefties and he hit righties. He has to be given the opportunity to play every day

Edited by '7'

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Definitely yes. And they have to make more moves because of the logjam bringing in Cano creates regarding McNeil and Alonso and their playing time.

If the plan is to play Cano at 1st then Alonso is gonzo. And he may be the guy to bring back the pitcher to replace Syndergaard if and when he gets traded. Alonso is already incredibly impatient and started yapping last year about not being brought up. He seems immature and it wouldn't shock me if the Mets view him as a potential problem going forward

The sample size is not large but all McNeil did last year was hit and get on base and not strike out. And he hit lefties and he hit righties. He has to be given the opportunity to play every day

Yeah, McNeil couldn't have been more of an anti-Sandy hitter.  As much as I'm sure about BVW, god am I happy that fvcking Sandy is gone...that being said, hope he recovers from cancer.

I'd like to know exactly how much money the Mariners are picking up on Cano's remaining years...for whatever it's worth, I'm guessing the Mets basically "sold" them some prospects in this deal.  If that's the case, then nothing's really changed with the Mets...sure, they'll have a top-flight closer now, but as it always seems to be with the Wilpons, it seems like a lot of this deal was about money.  At least Jay Bruce is gone...Cano could be scary to watch as soon as 2020, but hopefully the Mets get a couple good offensive years out of him.  I don't think Bruce would've anything more than a trainwreck had he remained a Met.