New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

Obviously a fugly loss, but there will be a handful of those in any given season.  The BP was due for some regression...preferably everyone wouldn't have had a crap outing at the same time, but every now and then it happens.

Just like Sandy completely ignores BA and Ks when it comes to hitters, he does the same with walks for relievers.  And this BP definitely has the potential to not only walk guys, but also hit them, throw wild pitches, etc.  When it's ugly for them, it's REAL ugly.

If the Mets win the next two, all is forgiven...even if the Nats take the series 2-1, it's hard to gripe too much...think we all would've happily signed up for a 13-4 start (4-2 against the Nats).  If the Mets get swept, it's going to be irritating for sure, especially since they had such a big opportunity in the first game.  But if anything, last night was a good reminder that this team isn't quite as good as its record to date.  Also fair to remember that they've had a lot of comebacks too...it was going to go the other way eventually. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously a fugly loss, but there will be a handful of those in any given season.  The BP was due for some regression...preferably everyone wouldn't have had a crap outing at the same time, but every now and then it happens.

Just like Sandy completely ignores BA and Ks when it comes to hitters, he does the same with walks for relievers.  And this BP definitely has the potential to not only walk guys, but also hit them, throw wild pitches, etc.  When it's ugly for them, it's REAL ugly.

If the Mets win the next two, all is forgiven...even if the Nats take the series 2-1, it's hard to gripe too much...think we all would've happily signed up for a 13-4 start (4-2 against the Nats).  If the Mets get swept, it's going to be irritating for sure, especially since they had such a big opportunity in the first game.  But if anything, last night was a good reminder that this team isn't quite as good as its record to date.  Also fair to remember that they've had a lot of comebacks too...it was going to go the other way eventually. 

The one thing though that was really irritating was the stupid aggression that crept in a gain. Cabrera trying to take 3rd there with Frazier at the plate is the sort of mindless stuff I wish this team could flush out of their system

54 minutes ago, '7' said:

The one thing though that was really irritating was the stupid aggression that crept in a gain. Cabrera trying to take 3rd there with Frazier at the plate is the sort of mindless stuff I wish this team could flush out of their system

Robles giving up a dinger that made a comeback more difficult was also frustrating, but that's partly because I really don't like Robles. 

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Robles giving up a dinger that made a comeback more difficult was also frustrating, but that's partly because I really don't like Robles. 

And they sent him down today for Gerson Bautista

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Mets get swept, it's going to be irritating for sure, especially since they had such a big opportunity in the first game.  But if anything, last night was a good reminder that this team isn't quite as good as its record to date.  Also fair to remember that they've had a lot of comebacks too...it was going to go the other way eventually. 

re: the last part yeah but this was the worst possible timing for the bill to come due, especially blowing a Jake game with Wheeler and Matz in the last two of the series, and especially giving the Nats a jolt of momentum they needed.  And now it looks like the worst-case scenario might happen.

Only the Mets could take the goodwill from a 12-2 start and flush almost all of it in barely 24 hours.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can't get that mad about what I was expecting to happen.  Nats weren't as bad as their early start suggested, and the Mets weren't as good as theirs. 

If anything, maybe Sandy wakes up long enough to consider addressing the catching situation, but it's not like he ever operates at a pace faster than glacial.

I too would be for addressing the catchers position sooner than later. You look at the state of the NL East and yes, Washington is better than they've shown but I don't think they're as fearsome as they were the past two season, the Braves, Phils, and Marlins will fade into oblivion. You look at us and while we do have holes we also have a very real chance of taking the division. Go all in and make the splash early. Bringing in a Lucroy or Realmuto really changes the complexion of this team and it would send a message to Washington that we're here to compete this year and we're here for the long run. Plus it shows our current roster that the GM and owners truly believe in them and expect them to get it done this year regarding the division. A good comparison would be Lou bringing in Claude in 2000 relatively early in the season. 

This year just feels to me like one of those 87-88 wins for the division type season. We have to make sure it's us.

We're still 12-4 and in a great spot, but sometimes you don't (and shouldn't) wait until your team needs a shot in the arm to actually give it a shot in the arm

Edited by '7'

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And I know it's early, we don't have a lot of internal infield options till TJ Rivera gets healthy and he's a bench player anyway but how long does Reyes get to stink it up before alarms go off?

0-17. I'm done with him now and really was last season as well. I figure he gets until mid May and if he's on the interstate then they'll cut him loose. Gotta follow through on accountability

It's also kind of encouraging that we're 12-4 and the offense really hasn't clicked yet. They've just been ok. 

Edited by '7'

8 hours ago, '7' said:

0-17. I'm done with him now and really was last season as well. I figure he gets until mid May and if he's on the interstate then they'll cut him loose. Gotta follow through on accountability

It's also kind of encouraging that we're 12-4 and the offense really hasn't clicked yet. They've just been ok. 

I know I've said it far too often, but you don't keep letting losers hang around.  Reyes is a loser.  Pretty much always has been, even when he was younger and putting up much better numbers.  Most of his production last season came in pure garbage time.  Is anyone other than Sandy all that surprised that Reyes isn't doing a damn thing so far?  Hopefully this zilch is gone in a few weeks.  These are the guys you have to fvcking move on from eventually. 

The offense is never going to be consistently good.  Last night you saw why, and it's for the same reasons as always under Sandy (too many whiffs, no ability to change their approach with two strikes).  But as the team is currently constructed, where is more offense coming from?  None of the catchers have really shown much offensive ability, and that includes Plawecki.  Until further notice Rosario is a pretty bad hitter (a career .247/.274/.381 slash)...I'm not saying he won't improve in time, but it will probably take a while.  Look at the rest of the roster and most of it is pretty flawed at the plate...we're going to see plenty of low hit/low run/high K games, along with the HR-barrage-type performances.  Lagares will slow up, Frazier will fall back into the .230-.250 range.  This team is currently middle-of-the-pack in the NL in runs scored, and that's about where I would expect them to finish.  I can't see them doing much better than that.

This team was never built on offense anyway...we know it's all about the pitching with the Mets.  And on that front, the starters have to start doing a much better job...they're averaging a tick over 5.5 IP per start, and it's taken Wheeler's arrival to increase that average.  Sorry, you can't keep asking a BB-prone bullpen to keep pitching 3-4 innings every night. 

Agree with your earlier post...for goddamn ONCE Sandy, don't be patient to a fault.  Actually show just a little bit of energy and creativity for ONCE and surprise us all by making a good move early.  You already blew it by letting d'Arnaud hang around yet another year...now fvcking do something and bring in a real catcher. 

Didn't see too much of this. Looked like Matz got squeezed terribly on the first and then threw a meatball for a 3 run shot. After that he settled in for his final 3 innings. Really couldn't go any further with his pitch count where he was after 1, but at least he didn't let the game go off the rails

Good to see the offense finally click and a late rally for the W. I'm sure Washington is quite happy with coming out of here 2 of 3 but they sensed sweep and the Mets just weren't having it.

Frazier's done very well. That average will probably not be in the 290's for long, it'll probably settle in the .250's or so. But he's gotten some big hits and he draws walks. Solid addition. Though I suspect when he starts slumping he'll look like a righty Bruce. Totally hopeless. Which is what Bruce is right now (though he's been hampered by some sort of foot injury)

9 hours ago, '7' said:

Didn't see too much of this. Looked like Matz got squeezed terribly on the first and then threw a meatball for a 3 run shot. After that he settled in for his final 3 innings. Really couldn't go any further with his pitch count where he was after 1, but at least he didn't let the game go off the rails

Good to see the offense finally click and a late rally for the W. I'm sure Washington is quite happy with coming out of here 2 of 3 but they sensed sweep and the Mets just weren't having it.

Frazier's done very well. That average will probably not be in the 290's for long, it'll probably settle in the .250's or so. But he's gotten some big hits and he draws walks. Solid addition. Though I suspect when he starts slumping he'll look like a righty Bruce. Totally hopeless. Which is what Bruce is right now (though he's been hampered by some sort of foot injury)

As far as Matz goes...he'd only thrown 74 pitches after four innings, and had retired 10 in a row.  Apparently he was furious about being taken out of the game...kinda nice to know that Matz has a pulse. 

This offense will never be consistent, but they'll have their moments.  It's too bad that Frazier isn't a little more talented, because he seems like a real gamer...much more so than Cespedes (who to his credit somehow has 17 RBI despite a pretty lousy start otherwise).

As of course, if I could've signed up for a 13-4 start and being 5 games up on the Nats, I'm signing right on the dotted line, every time.  Sure, would've been great to win yet another series, but the Nats were ultimately only able to pick up one game on the Mets. 

10-game road swing coming up, with one off day, and a stop in San Diego.  All things considered, I think I'd be pretty happy with a 5-5 trip...the Mets would come home with an 18-9 record (they'd also finish April with that record).  I'm still hoping for 20 wins for the month, but not about to get greedy.

May will be a nice "rest some BP arms month"...the Mets have off-days on 5/10, 5/14, and 5/17.  They also have an off-days on 4/23 and 4/30.  So five off-days in less than a month, which is kind of nice...the Mets play 17 consecutive days from 5/18-6/3, then get another batch of close off-days (6/4, 6/7, and 6/11), before playing another 16 straight days from 6/12-6/27.  Then another compressed batch of off-days (6/28, 7/2, and 7/5), before an 11 games-in-10 days burst to close out the first half.

In general, it's REALLY nice that the Mets have these little batches of lighter scheduling, and that they're spread out...unless these starters being to find a way to start going consistently deeper into these games, the BP is going to need some rest-up weeks. 

Regarding Matz being taken out, I think it had more to do with it being a cold night and that laborious first inning. And perhaps also a lack of trust (and he hasn't earned that yet) let him be livid and go out there and earn Calloway and Eiland's trust

In general though I wonder if Calloway is kind of the opposite of Collins in regards to dealing with pitchers. He's very careful with pitch counts and seems to like taking them out a batter early rather than 2-3 batters late like Collins when the horse is already out of the barn. But at least with Calloway you can see he's a big picture type of guy and wants to make sure these guys are not on fumes by late August.

Yea Cespedes has some weird stats this year. On some sort of 160+ rbi pace (yea right) batting average hovering around .200. There have been games where he's gone 1/5....1/6 with a bunch of K's and looked horrible. But the 1 hit he'd get would drive in a run

Edited by '7'

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Regarding Matz being taken out, I think it had more to do with it being a cold night and that laborious first inning. And perhaps also a lack of trust (and he hasn't earned that yet) let him be livid and go out there and earn Calloway and Eiland's trust

In general though I wonder if Calloway is kind of the opposite of Collins in regards to dealing with pitchers. He's very careful with pitch counts and seems to like taking them out a batter early rather than 2-3 batters late like Collins when the horse is already out of the barn. But at least with Calloway you can see he's a big picture type of guy and wants to make sure these guys are not on fumes by late August.

With the starters yes but the bullpen might be another story. They taut having a bunch of guys on the back end they can shuttle up and down but if you’re using the same five guys every week for 4-5 innings a night it doesn’t mean much if you interchange Sewald for whoever and Robles for the kid barely in AA and they never pitch meaningful innings.

I agree with you CR, 5-5 would be great. These west coast swings are always trouble when things tend to get a little bit crazy. Brutal 3 am losses, unfortunate injuries, bad umpiring. I absolutely hate the Mets trips out there nothing good ever comes out of it

Edited by '7'

59 minutes ago, '7' said:

I agree with you CR, 5-5 would be great. These west coast swings are always trouble when things tend to get a little bit crazy. Brutal 3 am losses, unfortunate injuries, bad umpiring. I absolutely hate the Mets trips out there nothing good ever comes out of it

It's not a full WC swing at least, but it is across multiple time zones.  Four against the Braves, three against the Cards, and then three against the Padres.  I'm sure the Braves would love to take at least 3 against the Mets...they have to feel pretty good about being only 3 games back. 

If Calloway's practicing a little tough love with Matz, I can get behind that...accountability was pretty much non-existent with Sandy & Terry (though Terry would feign it at times), and it pretty much always will be with Sandy, so I'm guessing Mickey is trying to instill some of that himself.  As much as I hate Reyes the player, I understand Mickey trying to get him going with these PH appearances, but if he keeps racking up the 0-fers, then I'm sorry, he has to become a garbage-time guy soon.  Reyes has gotten more chances than he's ever deserved since coming back, and his upside is much lower than it once was.  He's also going to be 35 years old in June, and as we all suspected a long time ago, his skillset wasn't going to age well, especially since he never dedicated himself to become a student of the game...Reyes is EXACTLY the kind of player who doesn't find other ways to contribute as his natural and primary abilities start to wane.  For some reason the Mets are incapable of seeing that.   

As far as the starters go, at some point, you gotta start finding ways to get these guys into the 7th inning more consistently...this pen is just being asked to do too much, especially since a lot of them are prone to high-pitch innings. 

I don’t think the Matz thing had to do with tough love or fatigue, I think it’s just the dumb mindset of 2018 baseball where (and Calloway hinted at this when he was hired) managers are very leery over the HORROR of having a pitcher face a lineup the third time around. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don’t think the Matz thing had to do with tough love or fatigue, I think it’s just the dumb mindset of 2018 baseball where (and Calloway hinted at this when he was hired) managers are very leery over the HORROR of having a pitcher face a lineup the third time around. 

That's a fvcking joke if true.  sh!t, at this rate, might as follow through on Tony LaRussa's experiment of having three guys go 3 IP each each game.  Really hate what baseball has become sometimes.

fvck off Matt you worthless fake Alpha Male p*ssy.  Don't let it hit you on the way out.  Good luck with the Yankees...I'm sure they'll sign you right up this offseason.  

This kind of gutless non competitive outings we can't stand for in 2018. Third consecutive one he's allowed 4+ runs. He gets one more start and then when he blows up again yank him from the rotation.

I just don't see what Harvey can do at a major league level anymore. He's a borderline MLB pitcher.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, '7' said:

This kind of gutless non competitive outings we can't stand for in 2018. Third consecutive one he's allowed 4+ runs. He gets one more start and then when he blows up again yank him from the rotation.

I just don't see what Harvey can do at a major league level anymore. He's a borderline MLB pitcher.

It's just amazing two and a half years ago Harvey was at least a top twenty starting pitcher in baseball if not higher.  But his career's never been the same since the ninth inning of Game 5.  I know he's had arm issues and such since then but I think that kind of ego hit psychologically did him in just like Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas did him in, and Tiger Woods' skeletons coming to public light did him in.

Edited by NJDevs4978