GDT: Devils @ Canadiens, 4/1/18, 7:00pm

mfitz804

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

"It's Noesen, It's Noesen" made me cringe that was so bad.   Bryce was HORRIBLE at the beginning but has really found his groove. I enjoy him now.

Cangi is fine, I just hated that Noesen call.   To each their own.  But all in all, Cangi is very good. And I love Dano, Chico and Matt

I have said it before, but I'll do it again.

Cangi has too many annoying catch phrases. He also never knows what's going on. He botches the call on almost every penalty, calls people by the wrong name, and he can't even say the word "scores". Even my 10 year old picked up on that, "It sounds like he's saying scars". I was a huge fan of Doc so he had huge shoes to fill.

I love Dano on our broadcast. I don't care that his voice is gravely and I think its weird that other people do. He is exactly what a color guy should be in my opinion, he has been with the team forever, he has all of the great stories when he can remember, its hysterical when he can't remember, and he's a homer. He comes off as a bit of a lovable goofball and I think that's perfect. 

I think Bryce Salvador is doing a great job. He does wave his hands around like the Swedish Chef when he talks between the benches, which I find funny but it doesn't take away from his ability. Plus he wears way nicer suits than Johnny Mac ever did. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree on the Noesen call. 

I didn't mind the call on that one because it was straight emotion. I hate planned out calls, John Sterling drives me absolutely bananas with his stupid canned home run calls. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn't mind the call on that one because it was straight emotion. I hate planned out calls, John Sterling drives me absolutely bananas with his stupid canned home run calls. 

Sounded more like faux emotion to me, which is why I didn't like it. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sterling is terrible. Its amazing that the Yankees being such a respected "classy" organization that they have the worst collective announcers in the area and bottom tier in major sports.

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I didn't get that from that call. 

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Surprised people didn't like the "It's Noesen!" call, considering that was an absolutely enormous goal and it was clearly pure emotion from our guy. 

Yup. 

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Surprised people didn't like the "It's Noesen!" call, considering that was an absolutely enormous goal and it was clearly pure emotion from our guy. 

Loved that one too. Like you said, there are some really CRINGEWORTHY pbp guys in this league. Cangy is not one of them..

Also, John Sterling FVCKING intolerable.  I remember listening to Opie and Anthony back in the day and Norton tore him to shreds, it was hilarious.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Sterling is terrible. Its amazing that the Yankees being such a respected "classy" organization that they have the worst collective announcers in the area and bottom tier in major sports.

That's because the Yankees want close control of the message and need obedient company men as their announcers. Why do you think Michael Kay is still with them? Because he will say EXACTLY what they tell him to say

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Nor does he come across as a homer on TV. He's very vocal when things aren't going their way; and doesn't seem to pull any punches. I have no idea why that's the assumed position 7 is taking, but it doesn't surprise me. 

Kay just seems reasonable and honest as an analyst.  I'm not huge into baseball, but I feel like if the Yankees gave Kay a managerial position with the team, a lot of fans would be "Yeah, makes sense."

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Nor does he come across as a homer on TV. He's very vocal when things aren't going their way; and doesn't seem to pull any punches. I have no idea why that's the assumed position 7 is taking, but it doesn't surprise me. 

I didn't say homer.

I said company man.

Went up to Montreal Friday night for the weekend. Cool city with tons of culture. I knew that it was predominantly French speaking, but I had no idea that it was so...French. All the signs are in French, as are the ads, etc, etc. I think that's pretty damn awesome that they've been able to keep that identity. Pretty much everyone speaks English, too, so it was easy to get around. If you ever make the trip up, you gotta go to Schwartz's and get the smoke meat sandwich. It's close to pastrami, but it was just so tender and flavorful. I thought poutine was decent, but I honestly gotta give the edge to disco fries. Not really a fan of the cheese curds. 

As for the game. Bell Centre has an awesome location in downtown MTL. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and other shops around the arena. The outside of the arena is littered with statues and monuments of Canadiens greats. Pretty cool to go around and read up on all the history of that franchise. IIRC, it's the biggest arena in terms of capacity, but there is not a bad seat in the house. We sat in the nosebleeds and had a good view of the action. Canadiens fans were pretty awesome, btw. Maybe it's because they suck, but I was expecting much worse. I hate watching away games and hearing their fans bitch and moan about every little call. There was none of that. 

Not gonna comment on the game other than the fact that Nico was a two-way beast. Maybe it;s because he played in the Q, but Canadiens fans love him. Shout out to the PA announcer for making his name French-- "Ee-she-ay". 

There were a lot of Devils fans in my section and as a result, were a few audible "LGD" chants. While I normally think stuff like that is cool, there were two classless Devils fans a few rows in front of us. They were flipping off Canadiens fans in the section when Hall scored and were taking selfies with random Habs fans. They also kept cursing and doing the RSFS chant every other minute. I had to apologize on behalf of our fanbase and had a good laugh with the locales. 

Also, the Canadian anthem in half French, half English is the best anthem in sports. So cool

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Went up to Montreal Friday night for the weekend. Cool city with tons of culture. I knew that it was predominantly French speaking, but I had no idea that it was so...French. All the signs are in French, as are the ads, etc, etc. I think that's pretty damn awesome that they've been able to keep that identity. Pretty much everyone speaks English, too, so it was easy to get around. If you ever make the trip up, you gotta go to Schwartz's and get the smoke meat sandwich. It's close to pastrami, but it was just so tender and flavorful. I thought poutine was decent, but I honestly gotta give the edge to disco fries. Not really a fan of the cheese curds. 

As for the game. Bell Centre has an awesome location in downtown MTL. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and other shops around the arena. The outside of the arena is littered with statues and monuments of Canadiens greats. Pretty cool to go around and read up on all the history of that franchise. IIRC, it's the biggest arena in terms of capacity, but there is not a bad seat in the house. We sat in the nosebleeds and had a good view of the action. Canadiens fans were pretty awesome, btw. Maybe it's because they suck, but I was expecting much worse. I hate watching away games and hearing their fans bitch and moan about every little call. There was none of that. 

Not gonna comment on the game other than the fact that Nico was a two-way beast. Maybe it;s because he played in the Q, but Canadiens fans love him. Shout out to the PA announcer for making his name French-- "Ee-she-ay". 

There were a lot of Devils fans in my section and as a result, were a few audible "LGD" chants. While I normally think stuff like that is cool, there were two classless Devils fans a few rows in front of us. They were flipping off Canadiens fans in the section when Hall scored and were taking selfies with random Habs fans. They also kept cursing and doing the RSFS chant every other minute. I had to apologize on behalf of our fanbase and had a good laugh with the locales. 

Also, the Canadian anthem in half French, half English is the best anthem in sports. So cool

Nice to see you liked your experience in Montreal! If you liked the city and the culture you should definitely come to Quebec City!! You'll love it!! The «Old Quebec» is really nice and fun during the summer! 

• Like 1

Regarding the announcers, I think Cangy has gotten better over the last couple of years because he is just now announcing in a relaxed, natural style.  His emotions are much more apparent and fun than the monotone robot he was when he first took over for Doc.  He also is less reliant on the schtick calls that he used to make thought he does still do it sometimes (thankfully a lot less).  IDK about anyone else, but Dano's "barking" style has gotten a little bit smoother in the past few months.  I could be wrong.  I also like the observations he makes and clear emotion and care he puts into the team without really being a homer.  His commentary after the Marchand hit on MoJo really turned a corner with me in terms of how he does his spiel.

Salvador has been fine.  I really don't know how anyone would complain about what he says.  He is not down there to say anything Earth-shattering that Dano couldn't already point out.  I still thinks he is a little bit nervous at times but he is fine.

I think Matt L. is the worst PBP announcer on radio in all of sports.  Completely agree that he is always behind the play by a solid 10 or more seconds.  The friggin goal song is already in the first few bars before he even says that a goal happens.  He also has a tendency to announce the score maybe 2 times a period which is fantastic when I am listening to the radio and want to know the score before the end of my 10-15 minute drive *sarcasm*.

Gary Thorne is an idiot.  I don't get the love-fest for him by some of our fans.  I guess because he was the announcer during our cup runs in the early 2000's, but that was because he was the lead ESPN / ABC at the time and nothing else.  I swear he was actively rooting for us in 2001 and 2003 and I still think his lips have not yet been completely removed from Bourque's and Sakic's ass yet.  He can fvck off.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Nice to see you liked your experience in Montreal! If you liked the city and the culture you should definitely come to Quebec City!! You'll love it!! The «Old Quebec» is really nice and fun during the summer! 

Yeah, I've heard Quebec City is Montreal on steroids in terms of culture.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

"It's Noesen, It's Noesen" made me cringe that was so bad.   Bryce was HORRIBLE at the beginning but has really found his groove. I enjoy him now.

Cangi is fine, I just hated that Noesen call.   To each their own.  But all in all, Cangi is very good. And I love Dano, Chico and Matt

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree on the Noesen call. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

"It's Noesen," was a little bit awkward because it was a little over the top for the circumstance, it was just a regular season game and it wasn't even a clinching goal of any sort. That said, I''m fine with it, because I think Cangi's exuberance was the result of waiting through 6 years of losing to call something exciting. It's not easy for a play-by-play announcer to not have anything big to call for that many years,  it's his only purpose in life.

• Like 2

Maybe [mention=3426]SterioDesign[/mention] was there :lol:

Nope lol i live pretty far from MTL... actually for me its only an extra hour and a half to drive to newark than MTL. MTL is 10 hours, NJ 11 hours and a half. I never ever want to see a devils game in MTL lol i cant stand the fans haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

You know, Abbey Mastracco is not off to a great start as the Devils beat reporter (though it's too early to judge her yet) but I have to say, Amanda Stein is really growing on me so I'd like to take a mulligan on my earlier criticism of her. She does kind of get the voice of the fans and is all in on reporting on the team.

• Like 1