Sign in to follow this  
mfitz804

GDT: Devils @ Canadiens, 4/1/18, 7:00pm

14 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Cangy's goal call on Hall was spectacular

The pure, genuine emotion on that Hall goal gave me chills. That one, and the "IT'S NOESEN! IT'S NOESEN!" were some amazing calls.

I don't get how anyone can dislike Cangy any more. Guy's always making the right call, has a great feel for when to show emotion... I really enjoy listening to him. Daneyko? No, lol. But Cangy is one of the best in the game. Don't believe me? Tune into a Jack Edwards broadcast... *shudders*.

• Like 4

Cangi is the least of our media issues, by a good margin.. dano is just plane laughable at times, bryce had a good start but has gone down hill fast.. deb is increasingly uncomfortable with the interviews. thou, Stein has been fine on twitter

2 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The pure, genuine emotion on that Hall goal gave me chills. That one, and the "IT'S NOESEN! IT'S NOESEN!" were some amazing calls.

I don't get how anyone can dislike Cangy any more. Guy's always making the right call, has a great feel for when to show emotion... I really enjoy listening to him. Daneyko? No, lol. But Cangy is one of the best in the game. Don't believe me? Tune into a Jack Edwards broadcast... *shudders*.

And Edwards when he was on ESPN was some meek Milhouse Van Houten lookalike. Never knew he had this side of him. But yea he's ridiculous if you're a Bruins rival. So ridiculous you can't even really hate him

Just now, TomsRiverDevil said:

The play by play radio team is great. 

Wowwwwww I disagree. I really like Loughlin's voice and I fvcking adore Chico, but I hate listening on the radio. His calls are a solid 15 seconds behind the play at all times. I've never once heard him say "he scores!!!!!" within 5 seconds of the horn going off; so I tend to try to listen to the on-ice action more than the commentators which makes it a difficult listen. 

There are also periods of 15-30 seconds throughout the game where it'll be complete and total silence, or a full 2-minute discussion about something unrelated while you can hear the crowd going crazy in the background. I have NHL.tv and listen to games that I can't watch, and I usually listen to the other team's radio broadcast. 

• Like 2

People used to snipe at Cangi for silly stuff including being 'a Ranger fan' because he works for MSG I suppose but if that was ever true, he's certainly been all in on this team getting to the playoffs.

There were rumors about him being a Rags fan when he initially took over for Doc, but I can't think of one shred of evidence or single incident where it looked like he wasn't on our side. It was all BS from the beginning. I like the overall enthusiasm of his calls

I mean, wasn't Doc a penguins fan? These guys are the best of the best. Don't care who they cheer for as long as I can't hear a bias against my team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

THIS THIS THIS. I ragged on Cangi in the beginning, a la 2010 Cangi, but that's cause he was filling in for Doc and I'd swear everytime he called a game for Doc, we'd lose. But man does he either love this team, or calls the game as if he does. He's got so much passion for his craft I honestly enjoy it. Everyone knows my take on Dano so we'll leave that unsaid, but he's the anchor that holds back the broadcast.

Bryce is still doing a fine job IMO. He talks to hockey at a normal person level and is exactly what I think of when I imagine a color commentator: Giving some good anecdotes, tossing in a few "this is what they should do"-isms and them just overall good analysis. I don't see how someone can say he's gone downhill fast.

As for Matt, he's not a good PBP guy at all. You never know when the team scores if it isn't a Devils home game and the crowd goes insane. You also never know when the opposition scores cause he's so expressionless. Hell I even found his monologues for the videos leading up to the Elias night to be dry and boring.

2 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I mean, wasn't Doc a penguins fan? These guys are the best of the best. Don't care who they cheer for as long as I can't hear a bias against my team. 

Who knows. He was already 20 when the Penguins appeared so he may have had a team already by then. But he did cover the Penguins briefly early in his career though not as the PBP guy.

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Huge Pirates fan, not sure about the Pens. Never heard him mention it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Ever since Pitt got rid of their main PBP guy [or maybe he's just being subbed out], their team is surprisingly good to listen to as well. The last two games we played them its been the same guy and they ranted and RAVED about the Coleman one-hander and about how this Devils team is so different, yadda yadda yadda.

Just now, CarterforPresident said:

Hall is one point from 90. He can get to 40 goals, let's go Hall. I'm really liking Butcher to, quietly putting up alot of assists!

Him and Nico caught their second wind, as someone else pointed out I think in this thread. Thank god cause its coming not a moment too soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Wowwwwww I disagree. I really like Loughlin's voice and I fvcking adore Chico, but I hate listening on the radio. His calls are a solid 15 seconds behind the play at all times. I've never once heard him say "he scores!!!!!" within 5 seconds of the horn going off; so I tend to try to listen to the on-ice action more than the commentators which makes it a difficult listen. 

There are also periods of 15-30 seconds throughout the game where it'll be complete and total silence, or a full 2-minute discussion about something unrelated while you can hear the crowd going crazy in the background. I have NHL.tv and listen to games that I can't watch, and I usually listen to the other team's radio broadcast. 

He doesn't even say "he scores" he does that annoying "shot and a goal!" which sounds wrong for hockey. 

Loughlins voice is fine but he has no business doing PBP on TV or Radio

Edited by '7'

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goddamn that tweet has me six-to-midnight.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

THIS THIS THIS. I ragged on Cangi in the beginning, a la 2010 Cangi, but that's cause he was filling in for Doc and I'd swear everytime he called a game for Doc, we'd lose. But man does he either love this team, or calls the game as if he does. He's got so much passion for his craft I honestly enjoy it. Everyone knows my take on Dano so we'll leave that unsaid, but he's the anchor that holds back the broadcast.

Bryce is still doing a fine job IMO. He talks to hockey at a normal person level and is exactly what I think of when I imagine a color commentator: Giving some good anecdotes, tossing in a few "this is what they should do"-isms and them just overall good analysis. I don't see how someone can say he's gone downhill fast.

As for Matt, he's not a good PBP guy at all. You never know when the team scores if it isn't a Devils home game and the crowd goes insane. You also never know when the opposition scores cause he's so expressionless. Hell I even found his monologues for the videos leading up to the Elias night to be dry and boring.

I never really had an issue with Cangi, every pbp guy has his quirks, he just had big shoes to fill.  Love Bryce for the reason you stated.  Stein and Chris Ryan are the ppl I follow on twitter, but mostly Stein.  I started following that Abbey chick after she was announced but I recently unfollowed her.  She adds NOTHING. 

As far as the radio, I don't listen much, but twice recently I was driving during the game and tried to tune in...was baseball on 101.9 and 660...

51 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

"It's Noesen, It's Noesen" made me cringe that was so bad.   Bryce was HORRIBLE at the beginning but has really found his groove. I enjoy him now.

Cangi is fine, I just hated that Noesen call.   To each their own.  But all in all, Cangi is very good. And I love Dano, Chico and Matt

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

"It's Noesen, It's Noesen" made me cringe that was so bad.   Bryce was HORRIBLE at the beginning but has really found his groove. I enjoy him now.

Cangi is fine, I just hated that Noesen call.   To each their own.  But all in all, Cangi is very good. And I love Dano, Chico and Matt

I agree on the Noesen call. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I have said it before, but I'll do it again.

Cangi has too many annoying catch phrases. He also never knows what's going on. He botches the call on almost every penalty, calls people by the wrong name, and he can't even say the word "scores". Even my 10 year old picked up on that, "It sounds like he's saying scars". I was a huge fan of Doc so he had huge shoes to fill.

I love Dano on our broadcast. I don't care that his voice is gravely and I think its weird that other people do. He is exactly what a color guy should be in my opinion, he has been with the team forever, he has all of the great stories when he can remember, its hysterical when he can't remember, and he's a homer. He comes off as a bit of a lovable goofball and I think that's perfect. 

I think Bryce Salvador is doing a great job. He does wave his hands around like the Swedish Chef when he talks between the benches, which I find funny but it doesn't take away from his ability. Plus he wears way nicer suits than Johnny Mac ever did. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree on the Noesen call. 

I didn't mind the call on that one because it was straight emotion. I hate planned out calls, John Sterling drives me absolutely bananas with his stupid canned home run calls. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn't mind the call on that one because it was straight emotion. I hate planned out calls, John Sterling drives me absolutely bananas with his stupid canned home run calls. 

Sounded more like faux emotion to me, which is why I didn't like it. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sterling is terrible. Its amazing that the Yankees being such a respected "classy" organization that they have the worst collective announcers in the area and bottom tier in major sports.

Surprised people didn't like the "It's Noesen!" call, considering that was an absolutely enormous goal and it was clearly pure emotion from our guy. 

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Sounded more like faux emotion to me, which is why I didn't like it. 

I didn't get that from that call. 

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Surprised people didn't like the "It's Noesen!" call, considering that was an absolutely enormous goal and it was clearly pure emotion from our guy. 

Yup.