GDT: Devils vs. Rangers, 4/3/18, 7:00 pm

mfitz804

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He's 3 points away from tying the franchise record for points...I was so focused on whether he could get 100 that I forgot about that. & points in 2 games is a stretch (not that he couldn't, but its less likely), but 3 points in 2 games? I could see that happening. 

Oh yeah, I'm very aware that he's got a shot at tying or exceeding the franchise record.  That really didn't feel like a possibility until this last game.  And it feels like he went from "30 goals for the first time" to 39 in the blink of an eye.  Almost like he scored 9 goals in the course of two or three games.  I feel like he's just now realizing how good he really can be.  So much confidence.  

BTW if he notches two points in his next game, he'll be averaging a PPG for his Devils career.  Awesome.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh definitely not, I wouldn't expect the usher to get involved. I just thought it was funny with the little "Stop" sign. 

I guess he couldn't find his "Cut it out", "That's not nice", or "Don't be hatin" signs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fight video should be shown repeatedly to the clowns who always sneer at the thought of making going to Devils games a more family friendly event.  You can see the little kid in the row behind who gets upset/scared from the fight and needs to be calmed down by presumably his father.  It's these obnoxious douches that insist on treating the arena like their own personal romper room, excessively cursing, getting sh!t-faced drunk and starting fights with other fans that make up a lot of these people with no fvcks given about the people, including children, around them.

Edited by DevsMan84

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More and more I think Bratt's going to be spending a fair amount of time in Bingo next year.  He's been almost invisible for a long stretch now.  Hopefully it's just fatigue/adjusting to the NHL.

Bratt needs to tackle the mental part of the game. He has all the other tools he needs to be successful. He hasn't shown up offensively, but he hasn't been a liability by any stretch. I don't see him having a setback that drastic. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The fight video should be shown repeatedly to the clowns who always sneer at the thought of making going to Devils games a more family friendly event.  You can see the little kid in the row behind who gets upset/scared from the fight and needs to be calmed down by presumably his father.  It's these obnoxious douches that insist on treating the arena like their own personal romper room, excessively cursing, getting sh!t-faced drunk and starting fights with other fans that make up a lot of these people with no fvcks given about the people, including children, around them.

The area around me was rather calm last night.... I overall agree with you but I do think it's kinda funny that the kid would have probably been going crazy if Boyle fought Vesey but didn't enjoy the ringside seat to the fight near him lol

Nothing tops this for me though in terms of a ridiculous reaction from a father.... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The area around me was rather calm last night.... I overall agree with you but I do think it's kinda funny that the kid would have probably been going crazy if Boyle fought Vesey but didn't enjoy the ringside seat to the fight near him lol

Nothing tops this for me though in terms of a ridiculous reaction from a father.... 

https://youtu.be/X_iH4XatU3E

I think the comparisons with seeing a fight on the ice and a fight in the stands is a little tenuous at best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think the comparisons with seeing a fight on the ice and a fight in the stands is a little tenuous at best.

It actually looked like he was trying to get into the fight at first lol..... This stuff is what is to me, it really doesn't happen that often considering how much alcohol is consumed every game, since the new arena is opened I've missed only a handful of games and I think I've been around maybe 1 fight that was near me.

Comparing it to the old arena when this stuff was much more of a common occurrence and I witnessed way worse fights growing up.

Of course there are still idiots here and there but a lot of the actual fighting seems to have calmed down a lot because most people do realize that someone is filming them now and it's not worth losing your job over or getting arrested. 

I've seen wayyyyyyyy too many videos where the events leading to a beat up is never shown or left out cause they don't fit the narrative. Especially when it comes to cops having to get physical cause some dude is resisting arrest, trying to get their gun or had a weapon prior... but they only show the cop starting to beat up someone trying to make him look bad. And the haters are buying it 100% without questioning it lol 

So while i'd love to know that the Rangers fan deserved it and got a good beating out of it... there's still chances that he was the one being bullied the whole game and simply had enough and that the other guy truly deserved a punch. It's the girl who got part of it though which sucks... but for all we know she might have deserved it too lol

Not going to judge people's actions just by the jersey they are wearing, that'd be a bit hypocrite lol

Edited by SterioDesign

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It actually looked like he was trying to get into the fight at first lol..... This stuff is what is to me, it really doesn't happen that often considering how much alcohol is consumed every game, since the new arena is opened I've missed only a handful of games and I think I've been around maybe 1 fight that was near me.

Comparing it to the old arena when this stuff was much more of a common occurrence and I witnessed way worse fights growing up.

Of course there are still idiots here and there but a lot of the actual fighting seems to have calmed down a lot because most people do realize that someone is filming them now and it's not worth losing your job over or getting arrested. 

I was talking more about boorish behavior in general.

I agree that fights in general have seemed to gone down since moving over to the new arena and I think cell phone cameras and social media play a big part in it.  However I do see a huge increase in general obnoxious behavior in the crowd in the last 5-8 years than in the 20 years previous.  I see far more visibility drunk people at games (I think the restaurants around the arena and the fact that you can take a train in to be a big factor) who curse non-stop in front of kids as well as people treating the arena like their own personal living room. 

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I've seen wayyyyyyyy too many videos where the events leading to a beat up is never shown or left out cause they don't fit the narrative. Especially when it comes to cops having to get physical cause some dude is resisting arrest, trying to get their gun or had a weapon prior... but they only show the cop starting to beat up someone trying to make him look bad. And the haters are buying it 100% without questioning it lol 

So while i'd love to know that the Rangers fan deserved it and got a good beating out of it... there's still chances that he was the one being bullied the whole game and simply had enough and that the other guy truly deserved a punch. It's the girl who got part of it though which sucks... but for all we know she might have deserved it too lol

From what I have been reading on social media the Rangers fan was acting stupid the entire game and was drunk out of his mind.  According to a few people he was even harassing fans before the game outside the arena.  How much truth there is to these stories I really don't know, but that's what I have been hearing.

The Devils fans in the video are no angels either.  As others have said you can see 2 Devils fans clearly egging the Rangers fan on to punch them.  Well they got their wish (along with the Rangers fan's gf/wife).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I was talking more about boorish behavior in general.

I agree that fights in general have seemed to gone down since moving over to the new arena and I think cell phone cameras and social media play a big part in it.  However I do see a huge increase in general obnoxious behavior in the crowd in the last 5-8 years than in the 20 years previous.  I see far more visibility drunk people at games (I think the restaurants around the arena and the fact that you can take a train in to be a big factor) who curse non-stop in front of kids as well as people treating the arena like their own personal living room. 

Yeah the train is definitely a big factor in the drinking. I'll admit I curse more than I should but I've tried to cut that out lately, especially if there are kids around me for a game I always try to watch the language that game. 

I'd say not having to see Gionta and Tootoo out there skating every game has more to do with me not cursing as much though lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I can't remember if it was a fight or just a drunken fan, but I remember seeing someone fall onto the lower cement stairs from the second deck of CAA.  That was fvcking terrifying as I was only maybe 12-14.  Anyone else remember this?

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I can't remember if it was a fight or just a drunken fan, but I remember seeing someone fall onto the lower cement stairs from the second deck of CAA.  That was fvcking terrifying as I was only maybe 12-14.  Anyone else remember this?

I actually do.  It was a drunk idiot who did a handstand on the railing at the bottom of the upper deck and he fell over the wrong way and landed in the lower deck.

A couple years ago I tried to find an article about it but couldn't.  I do remember it being somewhat news at the time.  This is in the 95-96 through 98-99 time frame from what I recall.

55 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This is a very good point. Going to the games with a child gives you a whole different perspective. Its only so many times I'll get away with telling my daughter I don't know what they said when its clearly "Flyers swallow". But I manage. One day I will probably get in a fight over it and hopefully there will be a video of me kicking someone's ass posted on this board.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is a very good point. Going to the games with a child gives you a whole different perspective. Its only so many times I'll get away with telling my daughter I don't know what they said when its clearly "Flyers swallow". But I manage. One day I will probably get in a fight over it and hopefully there will be a video of me kicking someone's ass posted on this board.

Yeah I wish we could have just left that at Rangers suck, the rest of it is really too much and I don't even consider myself part of the pc police. The rate it's going though the chant is going to be longer than a paragraph if they keep adding on to it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I wish we could have just left that at Rangers suck, the rest of it is really too much and I don't even consider myself part of the pc police. The rate it's going though the chant is going to be longer than a paragraph if they keep adding on to it. 

Someone on FB said he adds a part about Giroux after the Crosby watches part.

Fans can do that but barely generate a LGD chant.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's really not clever. I honestly don't expect people to not do it because I have a 10 year old with me, she's pretty east to distract away from it. So I let that kind of stuff slide. 

Besides, she's old enough to know when people are just being obnoxious, and she's occasionally said stuff to that effect. Years ago it probably would have gotten me into a fight, nowadays I'm just too old to be doing that stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I..... I'm so sorry... I started the Crosby part in 2010 or 2011. I have regretted it ever since.....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

At least when I did, I was the only idiot in my section to do LGD for more than 3 iterations....

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Starting next season, there needs to be a strict no obscene chant policy that results in ejection and/or bans for offenders.  The team could easily make the policy known on social media during preseason and announcements before and during games. You could have people like Amanda, Sarah Baiker and Hugh Weber say specifically what the team has in mind just so there’s no ambiguity.  Pretty much anything beyond saying the other team, player or refs suck. It seems to be a really small set of people that go beyond that as is.  In the games I’ve gone to, and that’s a lot, it’s maybe 5 people at most in whatever section I’m sitting in that get into the whole swallows, watches, etc. thing.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Starting next season, there needs to be a strict no obscene chant policy that results in ejection and/or bans for offenders.  The team could easily make the policy known on social media during preseason and announcements before and during games. You could have people like Amanda, Sarah Baiker and Hugh Weber say specifically what the team has in mind just so there’s no ambiguity.  Pretty much anything beyond saying the other team, player or refs suck. It seems to be a really small set of people that go beyond that as is.  In the games I’ve gone to, and that’s a lot, it’s maybe 5 people at most in whatever section I’m sitting in that get into the whole swallows, watches, etc. thing.

Them taking away the vuvuzelas did put a good dent in it.  Now the idiots who want to do the hey you suck chant have to do it by voice which doesn't carry well and the arena is seemingly purposefully drowning that chant out with music.

I have been to about 12 games this year.  I have heard maybe 2 arena-wide LGD chants.  We used to do those all the time back at BBA/CAA.  What happened?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Meh, while I don't like the chant I'm not really interested in policing our own fans that much. What are you going to do? Stick an usher every 10 rows in the aisle and make them see who's saying what. 

Plus we aren't a fan base that has a waiting list for season tickets. I don't think we can particularly afford to lose fans over stuff like this.