Devils sign RW Marian Studenic (Round 5 pick from 2017)

Triumph

15 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

I mean you still need AHLers to help out and if they hit a magic growth spurt at least you have them. How many contracts do the Devils have?

31 so far, but Studenic is the 3rd guy they've signed for next year.  With Clowe's contract finally off the books this season, they have one more spot for an ELC.  The potential for 50 contract 'logjams' doesn't really come in until 2 years from now - the Devils only signed 3 of their 2014 draft picks and 5 of their 2015 picks (all of them).  

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

MacIsaac seems to like him more than his numbers would suggest.  Fifth round pick with not-so great point totals in his D+1 OHL year.  Has anyone like that ever turned into more than a replacement level NHLer in recent years?

Sure.  I can't think of any off-hand, but I'm sure it's happened.  

Point totals haven't looked great, but he's been a bit of a streaky scorer throughout his time in Junior, remember a time in December when he was on a roll for about 25-30 games where he was churning out points at a 1.5 PPG clip, but was considerably slow in his production before and after. I'm sure they see a skill set there they like a lot, he reminds me a ton of Michael Grabner with the speed he has. He has the kind of speed defensemen always need to be aware of because he can turn on a dime at any second and beat you down the boards if you're not ready.

He is a very weak finisher IMO, he gets a boatload of scoring chances for himself and his teammates. in terms of pure skills he is as fluid a skater as you will find in the Devils system, so effortless. His shot accuracy is quite poor. His stickhandling and hands are acceptable. For whatever reason the points don't follow him, based on the games I watched I would have expected a little over a PPG.