Hall for the Hart

Nicomo

I'm biased towards Hall and I think he deserves it over MacKinnon, but it is close. MacKinnon has had a spectacular year. Avs are tucked away anonymously in the mountains so Devils fans are kind of unaware or not respecting just how good he's been. It's going to be an absolute coin flip.

• Like 1

Why is it a foregone conclusion that MacKinnon gets it if the Avs get in? Just because they laid a bigger turd last season than we did?

Their numbers are nearly identical, and Colorado has a 28G, 54A, 82 Pt man right behind him. MacKinnon is their leading scorer by 12 points. Hall is our leading scorer by 42 points. 

And, they have two other guys who outscored our #2 scorer.

If the question is, who is more important to their team, it has to be Hall. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why is it a foregone conclusion that MacKinnon gets it if the Avs get in? Just because they laid a bigger turd last season than we did?

Their numbers are nearly identical, and Colorado has a 28G, 54A, 82 Pt man right behind him. MacKinnon is their leading scorer by 12 points. Hall is our leading scorer by 42 points. 

The fact Hall has nearly scored double the points of the next closes player on his team has to be the biggest factor. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If MacK makes the playoffs, he'll get it. I don't think that's fair, but it'll be what happens. If Mac doesn't make the playoffs and Hall does, it'll be between Kopitar and Hall but I really do believe Hallsy will come out on top.

Have the Devils ever had a Hart winner? When was the last finalist? Elias in 2001?

Nope to Hart winner.

Finalist is a weird term for this because the writers vote and provide a top 5.  The top 3 vote getters go to the awards show where the winner is announced.  It is not quite the same as writers being forced to pick from a top 3.

FWIW Elias came in 5th or 6th in 2001.

16 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The fact Hall has nearly scored double the points of the next closes player on his team has to be the biggest factor. 

Indeed it is.

Devils fans obviously are going to think Hall should win. Quite a few players around the league are in fact achieving incredible performances this year. But I do think that Hall in fact deserves to win based on that one factor and the fact that his total points are high enough in the standings to warrant the trophy, especially if he now finishes ahead of MacKinnon. I think it comes down to Hall's point differential vs. MacKinnon's league leading 11 GWG.

That said, it's hilarious to watch us Devils fans think Hall is scoring points at an unheard of rate. A player scoring every game is not actually unheard of, us Devils fans have just been so starved of a player like that for so long, and had it go wrong with so many should-be top scorers, that to us, this is a phenomenon. 

• Like 1

So I went through all the years the Devils have been in the league as NJ and here are players who were in the top 5:

96-97 - Brodeur - 4th

97-98 - Brodeur - 4th

00-01 - Brodeur - 5th (Elias was 6th)

02-03 - Brodeur - 3rd

03-04 - Brodeur - 3rd

06-07 - Brodeur - 3rd

07-08 - Brodeur - 5th

08-09 - Parise - 5th

I will also say that Brodeur coming in 5th in 2000-01 while Elias came in 6th that year is laughable.  Marty had one of the weakest years of his career era between 1995-2010 and yet he still somehow managed to get more votes that Elias who finished 3rd in NHL scoring and set the franchise point record in a single season.

• Like 1

Near the end of Marty's career, after over a decade of the rest of the league trying to diminish his on-ice accomplishments and attack him personally, some Devils fans finally started to adopt the narrative and disparage Marty both professionally and personally. The result is that we no longer talk about Marty in the conversation about the greatest goaltender ever, and he was. Even us Devils fans say, "He looks like Hasek/Roy," out there to refer to a goaltender standing on his head. To be fair, a lot more was required of Hasek than others, but Marty was the best ever. There is also complete amnesia as to the years that Marty was one of, if not THE best player in the league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Simply, and quite surely - This.

4 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Near the end of Marty's career, after over a decade of the rest of the league trying to diminish his on-ice accomplishments and attack him personally, some Devils fans finally started to adopt the narrative and disparage Marty both professionally and personally. The result is that we no longer talk about Marty in the conversation about the greatest goaltender ever, and he was. Even us Devils fans say, "He looks like Hasek/Roy," out there to refer to a goaltender standing on his head. To be fair, a lot more was required of Hasek than others, but Marty was the best ever. There is also complete amnesia as to the years that Marty was one of, if not THE best player in the league. 

Have you seen the best goalies of all time list poll they did on a certain other hockey mb? Marty wasn’t even in the top 5... :lol:

It’s hard for me to take that place seriously after that.

• Angry 1

You can really tell the chip on his shoulder is still HUGE. I loved his comment on the importance of the Zajac line, and just the overall humility he’s showing. He’s a true leader, and better be the Devils next captain. 

He’s on a playoff team and will finish NINE points ahead of Hall. How on earth can you say hall over Giroux unless you’re a devils fan?

And before today he was five points ahead of Hall on a playoff team. Stop being so dramatic dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

He’s on a playoff team and will finish NINE points ahead of Hall. How on earth can you say hall over Giroux unless you’re a devils fan?

Nine whole points? How about the FORTY TWO points Hall has over his second leading scorer? 

Giroux only has 18 more points than Voracek. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 4