Your New Jersey Devils are going to the playoffs!!!

DevilMinder

56 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So glad we are in.

What's even better is that Cory is rested and ready for action. 

Seriously though do we put Cory in against the Caps and give him a chance to get a game under his belt? Or keep Keith rolling. 

That is a really good question.

So amazing to see them back in the playoffs. I started watching in the early 90's right around the jersey color change and this might be the most excited I've been as a fan since 95 when we were supposed to get absolutely crushed by the Wings. Or the Henrique goal. 

This team reminds me on paper of the 1987-88 team. Maybe some of the fans from back then can confirm or deny that, but Daneyko mentioned it on the post game as well. What ever happens happens but win or lose I think we give some team hell next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

If they’re playing for seeding at all it has to be KK. There’s also something to be said about going into the playoffs hot. If Cory starts and gets shelled for 5 goals that could hurt their morale. I think KK should start. 

I am leaning towards Cory. God forbid that something happens to KK either in the last game or in the series and we have to throw Cory in cold with a ten game losing streak under his belt. 

I would hope that the fact there is no pressure would help. 

Speaking of seeding who do people want? I wouldn't be adverse to Tampa if that's the way it shakes out. Feel less confident about Boston . So if we are the last wildcard that would be ok. 

Wouldn't want any part of Columbus, and to an extent Washington.  The Pens could go either way. 

Years ending in "8" have been good to the Devils franchise when it comes to breaking playoff droughts.  They broke their 6 year drought this year, and made their first playoff appearance in north Jersey in their 6th season in 1988.  Even in their pre-Devils years the franchise made its only playoff appearance during its Scouts/Rockies days in 1978 while based in Denver.

Now I'm personally hoping the Devils draw the Capitals in the 1st round so I can see them play a playoff game or two in my backyard, though in reality I don't care that much about who they play and care more about how they play in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This team reminds me on paper of the 1987-88 team. Maybe some of the fans from back then can confirm or deny that, but Daneyko mentioned it on the post game as well. What ever happens happens but win or lose I think we give some team hell next week. 

I'm more of a long-time casual fan, but IMO this team does have some real similarities to the team 30 years ago.  Both teams hadn't made the playoffs in a long time (in the 1988 team's case, it was a 10 year drought stretching back to their time as the Colorado Rockies; like the current Devils the 1988 team also missed the playoffs the previous 5 seasons while playing in north Jersey), both teams went through a youth movement to turn over their roster in the previous 2-4 seasons (though that movement was even more extreme in the case of the 1988 Devils), and both teams played well coming down the stretch to truly earn their playoff spot.  The primary difference is the 1988 team didn't have a league MVP candidate like Taylor Hall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Speaking of seeding who do people want? I wouldn't be adverse to Tampa if that's the way it shakes out. Feel less confident about Boston . So if we are the last wildcard that would be ok. 

Wouldn't want any part of Columbus, and to an extent Washington.  The Pens could go either way. 

The Devils have played well against Tampa Bay in their last couple of games against the Lightning, so I wouldn't mind seeing them.  The Capitals are a team that always finds ways to lose playoff series in the 1st and 2nd round, so even though the Devils often struggle against Washington, I don't think a matchup with the Caps would be all bad.  Pittsburgh concerns me because of their playoff success, even though the Devils played well against the Pens this season.  Boston and Columbus are the teams I'd least like the Devils to play in the 1st round.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So glad we are in.

Seriously though do we put Cory in against the Caps and give him a chance to get a game under his belt? Or keep Keith rolling. 

You ride the guy who brought you to the promised land. He wasn't just keeping the seat warm. IMO unless KK sh>t's the bed somewhere along the line, CS will not see that net shy of an injury/unraveling to Keith

So happy for our players and fans. Especially that Taylor Hall will see the playoffs now, and the youth and potential of a long term contract here in New Jersey, there will be nothing more important than signing him long-term before he becomes a UFA.

I’m most happy for that next generation of fans, too young to remember 2003.  This is my kid who is 20. She and her friends celebrating last night was right out of the “Priceless” commercials.

Yeah, she was old enough for Henrique, it’s over… and the Zach stick tap OT breakaway in Montreal was her other favorite goal.

But new memories are here. The reg. season was so thrilling. Filled with so many exciting moments. Comebacks, OT wins, Taylor Hall, Nico, Palms, Noesen, Coleman, Boyle, and all the others, you all contributed to wins this year. KEITH, I bow down to, too.  This is why I tear up every time I watch Dano’s intro video at the games. I was there for all that glory, in my 20's and 30's. Now it's time again.  All great stories have no end, only NEW BEGINNINGS! 

LGD Playoffs 2018!!!   Now We Rise!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If they’re playing for seeding at all it has to be KK. There’s also something to be said about going into the playoffs hot. If Cory starts and gets shelled for 5 goals that could hurt their morale. I think KK should start. 

But what kind of seeding is it really though?  It's only the difference between brackets unless the Pens and Blue Jackets somehow lose (and the Pens in regulation) to respectively, Ottawa and a Nashville team that's already clinched top overall and will be resting guys themselves.  That would put home-ice on the table in which case, go for it.  Really though picking your road series isn't that big a deal - as much as people want to make about the difference in points between playing Tampa/Boston and playing Washington/Pittsburgh, the difference in points is in large part cause of the extra games those teams get to play against the chaff in their division.

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So glad we are in.

You have to keep KK in. The Devils still need to win another one or we risk falling back to 8th. 

Then again, it'd be nice to give KK a quick rest.

Edited by Neb00rs

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So amazing to see them back in the playoffs. I started watching in the early 90's right around the jersey color change and this might be the most excited I've been as a fan since 95 when we were supposed to get absolutely crushed by the Wings. Or the Henrique goal. 

As far as the 1987-88 team goes, there's definitely some similarities.  The 87-88 team got off to a strong start too, then was fighting it for a while...in the case of the 87-88 squad, they struggled for so long that their head coach (originally Doug Carpenter) was canned and replaced by Jim Schoenfeld.  KK basically became this team's Sean Burke (though Burke didn't join the Devils until March 1), and for now Schneider has become as forgotten as Alain Chevrier.  Both teams went on scorching hot runs to close out their seasons too, though it was more necessary in the case of the 1988 group...like Burke once said, though his team was in it, they're weren't really IN it...they needed to win damned near every game to get in, and needed a little help too.  And though they're very different players, and Hischier had a far more successful rookie year, each team saw their talent levels bolstered by a teenaged future young stud (Hischier this year, and Shanahan back then).

And of course, both teams have had to fight for and earn respect, from a lot of circles.  

It's not a 100% tit-for-tat comparison...there was no Hall on the 87-88 group, and Mac didn't become Mac until he scored the playoff-clinching goal...he shredded it in the playoffs and then enjoyed three straight terrific seasons, but prior to that, there was a lot of "When is this guy going to start to figure it out?"...especially with his 87-88 campaign being incredibly disappointing prior to that season's final game.  But the 2017-18 Devils often reminded me of the 87-88 group this year, a lot, and I think that they can be better in the years to come...keep in mind that there were some guys (like Aaron Broten) who peaked that year, and unfortunately Sundstrom (who like Mac also killed it come playoff time) broke down physically after the 1989-90 season, which really hurt in the short term (as did Mac tearing his ACL and missing all of 1991-92).  You hand the near-mutiny when Stevens first arrived, which pretty much forced the trade of Muller (though Lou did a great job to get both the more dynamic-but-less-consistent Richer, and the speedy Chorske).  I think this group should be talented enough to avoid a big downturn next season (the 1988-89 team had an awful year, and the Devils spun their wheels for a while and made multiple coaching changes before becoming elite in 1993-94), especially since I don't think this is a fluke season from Hall.  Goaltending will be the biggest question come next season...Burke built up a lot of currency with his big run, and got a ton of chances because of it, but he was more or less mediocre for the remainder of his Devils career.  Is KK really a guy capable of being a full-time starter now?  What happens with Cory?  Not questions to be answered today and they may not be answered until next season, but a big reason the Devils got here is that they got elite-level goaltending when they absolutely had to have it.  They'll need more of that to continue to make the playoffs.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, munichdevil said:

You the guy that took the photo of Blake and himself? Must've been an awesome night for you, one that you will never forget. LGD!

Yep, that was me! I still can't believe it... I've been to plenty of season ticket events and met plenty of the guys that have played for this team but I think it will be hard to ever match the feeling of being at center ice with the whole place still going bonkers and the guys celebrating on the ice right there. Just insane. What a night. I'm already fvcking pumped for tomorrow night's game and it's not even the playoffs yet. Let's goooooooo!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I'm surprised they have enough fans to actually have an online forum, unless those 3 or 4 posters are it.

I am assuming that is HFboards but on reddit anyway, last Saturday in the game they got fvcking stomped by Boston, I was at work and watching the game bored out of my mind so I went to the Florida Panthers subreddit. Place was a friggin' dead zone, their game day thread was started by a BRUINS FAN... honestly fvck that team and their fans, I don't really feel any single shred of sadness for them. Their fvcking game 7 basically versus Nashville the other night and the barn was half empty.

Now, if the Flyers lose tomorrow then... Gooooooooooooooooooo Panthers

• Like 2

This team really has a genuine feel to it. Love the mix of  young wide eyed kids, handful of veterans, a genuine star and then toss in some guys who have grinded their way into the NHL. It just feels like every role is filled. I am one of those who finds himself wincing at Kinkaid's style at times and want to superglue his helmet on, but damn did he find a way to step up in 2018. Him and Coleman are the embodiment of Devils Hockey to me; underestimated, grind it out, underdog, just find a way mentality mixed in with a we'll show you attitude. 

Shout out to the coaching staff. Great to see Alain Nasreddine showing so much emotion. He did a remarkable job with the defense. The team plays such a good team defense game with the D and Forwards helping each other out, which is exactly what they need due to not having elite talent D on the back end. Alain Nasreddine has a head coach look to him and, with the way he seamlessly brought in Butcher to the NHL, he has the ability too. Hopefully we can get a few more years out of him before he gets poached. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

fvck those jerk-offs and their loser-ass franchise. Enjoy the golf course fvcktards. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't for the life of me find that picture of the Panther's GMs facepalming after the Henrique goal, but imagine I did and posted it right now.

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me find that picture of the Panther's GMs facepalming after the Henrique goal, but imagine I did and posted it right now.

I see MB already posted it, but I’m posting it again because fvck the Panthers and their dickface fans: ef50d3df402934ff76a0da1919e43ab8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Yep, that was me! I still can't believe it... I've been to plenty of season ticket events and met plenty of the guys that have played for this team but I think it will be hard to ever match the feeling of being at center ice with the whole place still going bonkers and the guys celebrating on the ice right there. Just insane. What a night. I'm already fvcking pumped for tomorrow night's game and it's not even the playoffs yet. Let's goooooooo!

Hey man, you gonna wear that to a playoff game?  I won the Elias night Zajac jersey via Meigray auction...with the sole purpose of wearing it at the first Devils home playoff game since 2012 (I just felt like they were going to get it done).  After the Zajac jersey will come the GW Palmieris for the next two games (I have one white and one red)...I figure if I start digging into my other GW/GI/DC (Delvelopment Camp), then a hell of lot went right!  

My Zajac came unwashed, but thankfully doesn't smell much...I re-boxed it with about 12 scented fabric softeners and am giving it about a week...hopefully that helps...if it doesn't, then it gets washed.  Hope yours isn't too bad!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven M. said:

Pretty sure it's literally just because I changed my twitter display name to "Blake Coleman Fan Club" like 3-4 weeks ago. I have always interacted with the NJDevils account on there here and there. So on St. Patrick's Day we were in Hoboken and I posted some picture of the group of us watching the Kings-Devils game in Hoboken with some caption about the Devils. The NJDevils account responded "Blake Coleman Fan Club never sleeps!" 

Anyway, so I guess 20 people got a golden wristband. I wasn't one. However, I saw that they put up on their twitter that they'd be selecting one fan to go out there from twitter, too. So I posted this picture of my buddy and I when we met Coleman at the "young stars" STH event with my seat and location. During the first period they DM'ed me that I had won. Obviously I was super excited.

So we get down to the zamboni area and they're assigning players. Initially they ask who I am and they just give me a random card and it's 23, Noesen. I'm like okay, awesome! I don't care who the hell I get. I'm just grateful they even chose me. Then they're like wait you're from the social media winner right? and they switch me out for Coleman. So that's why I'm pretty sure that stupid little name change got me the in to this crazy ass moment lmao

Never did I think it would end up like that though - figured they'd hit the locker room and come back out once all the other fans had hit the road. So the only agonizing thing was we're standing there in the hallway to the old locker room behind the bench while the game is ending. That sh!t was nerve wracking, all I could see was the back of Cory's head and players whizzing back and forth. Once I heard the last minute of play call by Kevin Clark and the power play call like 30 seconds later I figured we'd be good. When they won, it was super cool because Salvador and the coaches came through. Salvador actually ran past all of us high-fiving us. Then the coaches came through and Alain Nasreddine was going nuts. Then all of the scratches showed up and they're standing they're by the tunnel as we walk onto the ice with the team still going nuts. Mojo, Bratt, etc. Next thing you know I'm standing at center ice with the whole building going ape sh!t. Absolutely fvcking surreal. I still can't believe it. Got to chat with Blake and obviously take the selfie, get his jersey, and he autographed it... but I'm just standing there in awe of the crowd and the guys going nuts... as we're walking off Lovejoy skates by to fist bump every one of us... 

not promoting, don't give a sh!t if you guys don't have insta or follow me (in fact don't I post a lot of stupid sh!t) but I posted a few videos here: https://www.instagram.com/swaggadactyll/, this one specifically is Nasreddine going nuts coming off the bench which I found awesome: 

Anyway, just figured I'd share, I'm still amped the fvck up... not sure how I am going to go to work tomorrow. I don't know where this is all headed but this has been a fvcking magical season and I'll never forget it.

Awesome video and congrats on winning the jersey!  I am glad they gave you guys literally the jerseys off their backs this year instead of the previous 2 where the Devils pulled a little bit of a fast one.

Did Nas curse in there? lol

I'm still on fvcking Cloud 9 guys, and with a win tomorrow and some more breaks we could end up with home ice against the Penguins. I said before the season I thought this team would surprise some people and be better than expected, but I still never expected them to be a playoff team and a playoff team with a chance at home ice as well. I haven't been this attached to a Devils team since the 2012 run when I was a senior in high school, it feels so damn good for NJ to be back.

Panthers fans seems like a bunch of garbage cans, my hatred for the Flyers takes seniority however so hopefully they can sneak in at the Flyers expense. Then if those muppets want a taste of playoff hockey so bad, they can get sh!t stomped by Tampa.

• Like 1