Devils vs. Lightning Series Discussion

Derlique

The Devils will be underdogs, but I'd much rather face this team than say, Boston. That Bergeron line would be a nightmare to deal with and would likely force Hynes to break up Nico and Hall. Tampa Bay doesn't have that shutdown line so Hall and co. should get plenty of chances. Of course their offense is stupid deep with Stamkos, Kucherov, Miller, Point, Gourde and Johnson, not to mention Hedman and McDonagh are as good a 1-2 punch as there is. However, they have been struggling to keep the puck out of the net for a few months. Gotta just take advantage when Girardi and Sergachev are on the ice.

• Like 2

Tampa or Boston feels like pick your poison really.

This is going to be an exceedingly difficult series. Kinkaid has to absolutely stand on his head and we're going to need some breakout efforts from somebody like Zacha as well as big goals from unexpected sources. But I think they believe that they can absolutely get it done. The team is resilient and relishes the underdog role.

MarJo is really the wildcard here. Figure he'll be good to go game 1. Curious how we'll look with him back in there again.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Tampa or Boston feels like pick your poison really.

This is going to be an exceedingly difficult series. Kinkaid has to absolutely stand on his head and we're going to need some breakout efforts from somebody like Zacha as well as big goals from unexpected sources. But I think they believe that they can absolutely get it done. The team is resilient and relishes the underdog role.

MarJo is really the wildcard here. Figure he'll be good to go game 1. Curious how we'll look with him back in there again.

MIke Morreale was on NHL radio a little while ago.  He seemed to think that Mojo probably wouldn't start the series, and will really go in if the Devils start out in a hole and need a spark the next game.

11 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

fvcking working Thursday night and Saturday, total bummer. Will be watching and following closely  at work though like every time haha! Thanfully I'll be free for the two first home games.

Request off.  If they don't understand or say no, find another job.

• Haha 1

Also, Hockeybuzz did a short article about 1st round upsets - "our" writer (Todd Cordell) didn't pick us but this guy did: 

James Tanner
The best chance for upset is for the Leafs to beat the Bruins. However, since the Bruins can hardly be considered a better team (three Atlantic teams finished top six overall) the upset of the 1st round is the Devils beating the Lightning. 

The Lightning are a better team, but they aren't good defensively and I think Namestinkov is missed. They also deploy Ryan Callahan and Dan Giradri, and rely on high shooting and save percentages to win. A team like the Devils - sneaky good offense from a ton of underrated players like Zacha and Wood - can upset them if they get halfway decent goaltending. 

Let's go Devils.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=92228

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Also, Hockeybuzz did a short article about 1st round upsets - "our" writer (Todd Cordell) didn't pick us but this guy did: 

James Tanner
The best chance for upset is for the Leafs to beat the Bruins. However, since the Bruins can hardly be considered a better team (three Atlantic teams finished top six overall) the upset of the 1st round is the Devils beating the Lightning. 

The Lightning are a better team, but they aren't good defensively and I think Namestinkov is missed. They also deploy Ryan Callahan and Dan Giradri, and rely on high shooting and save percentages to win. A team like the Devils - sneaky good offense from a ton of underrated players like Zacha and Wood - can upset them if they get halfway decent goaltending. 

Let's go Devils.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=92228

I originally had the Lightning winning in six, but yeah, if the Devils can continue to get .930-type puckstopping from KK and make the most of their opportunities, they've got a shot at an upset.  Stamkos is questionable for Game 1 too. 

Tampa's been giving up a lot of goals now, for a while, really...they have a team GAPG of 3.36 in their last 42 GP.  Vasilevsky has a save% of just .900 in 31 GP in that stretch (KK is at .918 in 30 GP over the same time frame). 

Not saying that I firmly believe that the Devils will pull it off, but now that I've been taking a better look at TB's numbers, I'm a lot more hopeful than I was. 

Check out Tampa's last 42 GP:

25-15-2 record (4-0 in SO, 3-2 in OT).  145 GF (eliminating phantom SO goals), 142 GA

Admittedly, that seems a lot less daunting of a team to beat.  Feels like the Devils have more of a shot than most think. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I originally had the Lightning winning in six, but yeah, if the Devils can continue to get .930-type puckstopping from KK and make the most of their opportunities, they've got a shot at an upset.  Stamkos is questionable for Game 1 too. 

Tampa's been giving up a lot of goals now, for a while, really...they have a team GAPG of 3.36 in their last 42 GP.  Vasilevsky has a save% of just .900 in 31 GP in that stretch (KK is at .918 in 30 GP over the same time frame). 

Not saying that I firmly believe that the Devils will pull it off, but now that I've been taking a better look at TB's numbers, I'm a lot more hopeful than I was. 

Check out Tampa's last 42 GP:

25-15-2 record (4-0 in SO, 3-2 in OT).  145 GF (eliminating phantom SO goals), 142 GA

Admittedly, that seems a lot less daunting of a team to beat.  Feels like the Devils have more of a shot than most think. 

Underdogs never get any respect.  This is a brand new season; anything can happen....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

Underdogs never get any respect.  This is a brand new season; anything can happen....

Tampa is still the better team, but they looked damned near invincible during the season's first half.  Not nearly as much in the second half.  It will be interesting to see if they can pick it back up...especially in net.

• Like 1