Devils vs. Lightning Series Discussion

Derlique

11 hours ago, Derlique said:

The Devils will be underdogs, but I'd much rather face this team than say, Boston. That Bergeron line would be a nightmare to deal with and would likely force Hynes to break up Nico and Hall. Tampa Bay doesn't have that shutdown line so Hall and co. should get plenty of chances. Of course their offense is stupid deep with Stamkos, Kucherov, Miller, Point, Gourde and Johnson, not to mention Hedman and McDonagh are as good a 1-2 punch as there is. However, they have been struggling to keep the puck out of the net for a few months. Gotta just take advantage when Girardi and Sergachev are on the ice.

Agree on all fronts. One thing that is irking me is Severson being out of the lineup. Mueller has played well filling in and Severson was struggling with Moore. Unfortunately, Moore and Severson do not compliment each other very well. However, I worry about Mueller breaking out the puck on his off hand with the speed of Tampa. 

Ugh. Severson is too good to be sitting, but the others have specific roles and aren’t going to be sat. 

The better half is letting me forego our anniversary dinner so I can watch Game 1 on Thursday, her idea not mine. Think I got a keeper on my hands.

I feeling really optimistic about this series, Tampa looks like a juggernaut but I'm feeling so good about how we're playing right now. Making playoffs has already made this a successful season, but why not get greedy? Devils in 6.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Agree on all fronts. One thing that is irking me is Severson being out of the lineup. Mueller has played well filling in and Severson was struggling with Moore. Unfortunately, Moore and Severson do not compliment each other very well. However, I worry about Mueller breaking out the puck on his off hand with the speed of Tampa. 

Ugh. Severson is too good to be sitting, but the others have specific roles and aren’t going to be sat. 

Severson needs to sit, I think. When pressured he is prone to turnovers in the Devils zone. His decision-making is not the best in these situations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am going to go out on a slight limb here and say Devils in 5.  I just see them surprising a lot of people with this round.

Between literally no pressure on them, and us being so damn unpredictable this entire season. I agree. It’s gonna be a freaking blast!

To be honest, we have played so well down the stretch lately, if I'm Hynes, I don't mess with success.  I sit Bratt, Severson, and even Mojo if he's healthy.  If we look really bad in Game 1, or look competitive but lose Games 1 and 2, then maybe I bring in someone else and mix it up.  But these guys as a unit earned it together over the last 10-15+ games or so.  Let them be together at the start of the playoffs and see how far they can take it.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am going to go out on a slight limb here and say Devils in 5.  I just see them surprising a lot of people with this round.

I still think Lightning in 6, but I definitely don't feel strongly about it, especially once I took a good look at their more recent numbers.  I think the Devils could definitely surprise here. 

Has the Wood-Zacha-Maroon line really been that good? I know that Wood and Zach's have been much improved. Is Maroon kind of a grinder on that line? Just seems weird starting the playoffs with that as the second line.

Nobody had those three penciled in as a hypothetical 2nd line to start the year.

Would be nice to see Santini get a few games if possible. I know he's kinda shot for the year and kind of lost his position battle with our depth and Lovejoy at the end here

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Has the Wood-Zacha-Maroon line really been that good? I know that Wood and Zach's have been much improved. Is Maroon kind of a grinder on that line? Just seems weird starting the playoffs with that as the second line.

Nobody had those three penciled in as a hypothetical 2nd line to start the year.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

To me that line is really well balanced.  Wood, a gritty speedster who is turning into a mature player.  Zacha, a young player with talent and pretty solid at faceoffs. And Marroon, a tough guy with size who can also set up or finish chances. 

I'm not sure you can put Zajac Grabner and someone else ahead of them, but it's close.

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I said it during the season, I’ll say it again:

if it’s not KK, i will lose my sh!t

I'll be stunned if it's Cory.  I think as far as this season goes, you only bring him into a game where the Devils are getting blown out and have no chance to win (say down 4+ to start the third).  I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's suddenly going to find his game again in the 2018 playoffs. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

NJD success hinges heavily on these guys playing to their potential. The D overall, but really the Severson/Moore pairing and whoever is in net will make a huge difference. Hopefully Andy Greene shows up in playoff form as well. The O core shouldn't be an issue, but I'll blow a fvcking gasket if Noesen or Maroon are sitting for Stafford.

Edited by NJDevils1214

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll be stunned if it's Cory.  I think as far as this season goes, you only bring him into a game where the Devils are getting blown out and have no chance to win (say down 4+ to start the third).  I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's suddenly going to find his game again in the 2018 playoffs. 

Exactly, his confidence is gone, putting him in now is inviting to get bounced in 4.