We made the playoffs because...

eldon

19 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

... of 3 on 5 kill followed by a Hall breakaway goal vs Price 

This one is huge. This was a total must-win game in April and the 5-on-3 PP for Montreal at the end of the third during a tie game did not look good for us.

Credit to Hynes for putting Hall in the box on that bench minor, and credit to Zajac for being so poised during the PK to take his time for Hall to be in the right position.

That was easily one of the most exciting moments of the season for me.

• Like 1

All of the listed reasons are extremely important and some are interchangeable, but this is the order I came up with:

1) Hall

2) Getting Nico

3) Vatanen trade

4) Kinkaid

5) PK

6) Butcher

7) Schneider's first half

8) Emergence of role players like Coleman, Gibbons, Noesen

9) Hynes' coaching

• Like 2

Depth guys stepped up early on in the season when the top line wasn't going yet(thanks Gibby) and our PK got put on the map this year by some great players. Every team respected our PK all year not just in how they kill penalties but how they could score shorthanded as well.

• Like 1

Because Chico's back! 
HIe61K61_400x400.jpg&key=9b0b079e57307e182c4a9487a7fd82c40badb58c4d2b283cc4e631486926f1d3
i kid you not cause patty elias night

set them on a streak and even islanders said it was when they turned for the worse.

cut.png&key=192aad8de8633fafaa56df893c335175efe72c1fc88709b066c0f8d85910ba2f
Because Africa by Toto.
All of the listed reasons are extremely important and some are interchangeable, but this is the order I came up with:
1) Hall
2) Getting Nico
3) Vatanen trade
4) Kinkaid
5) PK
6) Butcher
7) Schneider's first half
8) Emergence of role players like Coleman, Gibbons, Noesen
9) Hynes' coaching

All of these things.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

Taylor Hall and two stretches of great goaltending (Schneider in the fall and Kinkaid in the spring). Plus, Hischier establishing himself right away and a bunch of guys on the lower lines had career years.

Nice to see that some people remember that Cory was 17-6-4 with a .923 save% on 12/27/2017.  I was also at the game on 12/23/2017 where he made a ton of huge saves to keep Chicago from coming back (after the Devils had taken an early 3-0 lead). 

But wow does that seem like years ago.  I really hope he finds his game again before next year. 

As far as Hischier goes, I'd add that he though he looked a little tired at times, he kept producing without ever really falling off...he was also the only Devil to play in all 82 games.  He was also pretty consistent offensively for a rookie, if you break down his season by groups of 10:

First 10 GP:  2 G, 5 A

Second 10 GP:  1 G, 7 A

Third 10 GP:  2 G, 3 A

Fourth 10 GP:  3 G, 3 A

Fifth 10 GP:  1 G, 4 A

Sixth 10 GP:  4 G, 5 A

Seventh 10 GP:  2 G, 3 A

Last 12 GP:  5 G, 2 A

I know playing with Hall didn't exactly hurt (and it's not like Hall didn't benefit from Nico), but even some occasional little (to be expected) valleys, that's pretty damned steady for an 18/19 year old who could use a little muscle. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 12:22 PM, mfitz804 said:

This thread is missing a Mike Brown stat-based recap as to why we made the playoffs. Just sayin'.

would like to hear his perspective