The Ilya Kovalchuk Thread

Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, dmon2010 said:

Well, look what I found...

kovy.thumb.JPG.88c30217fbbbe565043f3972abf265d9.JPG

He's not eligible to sign a contract now. Using Wikipedia for any purpose is not smart, I could change that right now to say he signed a contract to be a purple unicorn. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

His sister is easy to pick out too, she looks just like Nico lol.

She knows how to groom her eyebrows, otherwise its like the same person in a wig. 

Just now, dmon2010 said:

You should totally do that.

It is tempting. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I want everyone to take a step back and acknowledge that thecoffeecake is saying how bad a sports market New York is, while simultaneously saying how great of a sports market Philadelphia is, and is doing so unironically. 

Philly is a great football and hockey market. Baseball and basketball barely register. It's an uneven market. But as far as the quality of fans they fall well short of NY and northern NJ. Just on volume alone NY and northern NJ overwhelm the entire Philly market.

Edited by '7'

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Coffee, I'll give you that if NJ ever got a baseball team of its own, I probably switch allegiances the day that's announced.  I'm NJ first.  Tried to get into the Nets (my dad took us to games back in the 70s, when they were playing their home games at Rutgers), but hoops just never took. 

The Devils are an exception for you...you clearly identify heavily with Philly, even if it's been a while since you've mentioned that in a Mets thread...if anything I'm kind of surprised you're not a Flyers fan yet, mostly because you've really seemed to take to every other part of that area (though to be fair, I don't think I could ever leave the Devils behind, even if I left NJ...admittedly I don't know what I'd do if the Devils themselves actually left...if the Devils had left NJ after 1995, the rumor was that the Whalers would've moved to NJ to fill the sudden void...just the idea of ever supporting that NJ "New" Devils is hard to stomach).   

I'm the most ardent NJ nationalist on this board. You know full well I love my home state before all else. I love it here, too, but my allegiance will always be New Jersey in all matters. 

Too bad there's like nobody left on the team that was here when he left to go after him next season. Unless we are gonna sic a powerhouse like Andy Greene or Travis Zajac on him...

Hey Zajac beat the piss out of Gudas, don’t sell him short lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh puleese, The Yankees have a well earned reputation for signing high priced free agents. Denying it is asinine. Listing current homegrown talent doesn't refute their reputation at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devilsadvoc8 said:

oh puleese, The Yankees have a well earned reputation for signing high priced free agents. Denying it is asinine. Listing current homegrown talent doesn't refute their reputation at all. 

I think it was the use of the word “core” that made it less correct of a statement. Nobody can deny the Yankees sign high priced free agents. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't get the bid deal about "homegrown" talent nonsense for any team.  Scott Stevens wasn't homegrown.  Neither was Richer, Lemieux, Broten, Peluso, Mogilny, Arnott, McKay, Holik, etc.

Yeah honestly if you DON’T have the homegrown talent, you’re supposed to go get it elsewhere. If you don’t, your team will suck. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think it was the use of the word “core” that made it less correct of a statement. Nobody can deny the Yankees sign high priced free agents. 

Yeah honestly if you DON’T have the homegrown talent, you’re supposed to go get it elsewhere. If you don’t, your team will suck. 

And on that note:  Hall, Palms, Vatanen...

Exactly seven players currently on the Devils roster were drafted by the Devils...two others (KK and Greene) were undrafted but have played their whole careers within the Devils franchise. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And on that note:  Hall, Palms, Vatanen...

Exactly seven players currently on the Devils roster were drafted by the Devils...two others (KK and Greene) were undrafted but have played their whole careers within the Devils franchise. 

Yup. I hate the Yankees in so many ways, but do I wish the Mets had management and a GM that will buy any player at any time? You're damn right I do. I'm not for parity and all that sh!t. If my team could build an impossible to beat juggernaut that just runs over the whole league for like 10 years, I would love every minute of that sh!t. 

Just the mention of Kovy's name raises peoples's blood pressure.  After all he DID walk out on us, and now he wants to go across the Hudson?  That rebuild of theirs is already stillborn! Let him crawl under some rock and just disappear.  I will waste no more time on him; the playoffs are upon us!

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Philly is a great football and hockey market. Baseball and basketball barely register. It's an uneven market. But as far as the quality of fans they fall well short of NY and northern NJ. Just on volume alone NY and northern NJ overwhelm the entire Philly market.

This is all pretty backwards. But, yes, of course the New York market overwhelms the Philly market in terms of volume, but that's about as irrelevant as any argument you could make. Who cares? There are more Rangers fans than Devils fans, too.

You're right, Philly is a great football market. I was happy to see them do well, but I'm not an NFL fan overall and don't really have a horse in this race, but objectively, one of the best football towns there is.

Philly is a terrible hockey town. If by "great hockey market", you mean people go to games, then yea, but that's where it ends. It's a town that knows very little about the hockey world, and there's never really a ton of buzz around the Flyers regardless of what's going on. The Phillies and Sixers are getting far more exposure right now (although the attention paid to the Phils will fade very soon).

Philly is a bandwagon baseball town, but has a very dedicated base. When the team is good, it's one of the best baseball towns in the country, but I think that condition applies to most cities that aren't St. Louis or Boston. I'll give New York that the media gives baseball a good amount of attention, but it's terrible quality, and it's a lot easier to cover when you probably have a playoff team in the city every year. 

Basketball here is pretty weird. Few things get the city more excited than a good Sixers team, but the dedicated fan base is about zero. A good Sixers team gets way more attention than a good Flyers team, but a lot more people care about a bad Flyers team than a bad Sixers team. Good luck finding them on tv's anywhere if they're bad. Last season was the first time I saw a bar change the Flyers for the Sixers.

But Philly is also the college basketball capital, with a richer tradition than any other city in the country (but to be fair, a betting scandal in the 50's pretty much ruined college hoops in New York). The Big 5 is second to none, the "Cathedral of College Basketball" is here, a bunch of national titles and teams top 50 all time in wins. Basketball has been played in Philly about as long as anywhere else. When Temple and Drexel played each other in 1895, only like 4 organized college games had ever been played before. Between college, the SPHAs, the Warriors, the Sixers, it's impossible not to call Philly a hoops town even if it's hot and (mostly) cold with the NBA. It's a sh!tty product, anyway. 

The quality of fans and media is not even close. I don't detest New York sports as much as I do because of a rivalry with the Mets, I hate it because the fans and media are the worst in the country. They're all arrogant blowhards who know very little about the topics they scream into the radio about. The media personalities, besides being dumb as sh!t, are such pieces of garbage to their callers, they cut them off the second they don't agree with whatever lazy conclusion they stumbled to on the topic at hand. Sommer (if he's even still alive, I'm honestly not sure), Beningo, and Francesa are the absolute worst, but there are no tolerable personalities in that city at all. They spend half of their shows rambling about nonsense, and the other half arrogantly scoffing through their impending heart attacks. Not that I particularly care for the guys down here, but it's not unbearable. 

I do really like the Mets broadcasters, however. I think Cohen's always fair and just does a great job calling the games. I used to be more fond of Keith and Ron than I am now (although Darling isn't in the booth anymore, correct?) McCarthy I could take or leave. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Coffee, I'll give you that if NJ ever got a baseball team of its own, I probably switch allegiances the day that's announced.  I'm NJ first.  Tried to get into the Nets (my dad took us to games back in the 70s, when they were playing their home games at Rutgers), but hoops just never took. 

The Devils are an exception for you...you clearly identify heavily with Philly, even if it's been a while since you've mentioned that in a Mets thread...if anything I'm kind of surprised you're not a Flyers fan yet, mostly because you've really seemed to take to every other part of that area (though to be fair, I don't think I could ever leave the Devils behind, even if I left NJ...admittedly I don't know what I'd do if the Devils themselves actually left...if the Devils had left NJ after 1995, the rumor was that the Whalers would've moved to NJ to fill the sudden void...just the idea of ever supporting that NJ "New" Devils is hard to stomach).   

Also, wait a minute. According to this  line of reasoning, the Devils are an exception for everyone. Supporting New York sports doesn't somehow put you closer to the Devils' cultural sphere. The team represents the whole state, not the New York suburbs. This isn't a New York team. And I think you're fully aware of this flawed line of logic you followed here, but probably just knew how to piss me off. Which, I suppose, good work. 

Also, hostilities aside, you'll have to share what you remember from the Nets at the RAC.