2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

22 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

In fairness, calling them elite is probably over the top, but you have to admit that Vegas has been handed the easiest, most cream puff expansion in NHL history.

Sure, but considering how brutal the rules were for the previous expansion teams, it's a pretty low bar. It's not like they were plucking proven and consistent 30 goal scorers left and right. And ultimately, so much of their success hinged on Tallon gifting them Marchessault and Smith. I don't think anyone is talking about William Karlsson, 40 goal scorer, if he doesn't get Marchessault on his line.

I am veeeeery curious how next season will play out for them. Might not be the same thing when you've signed a bunch of guys to extensions and they're not the castoffs anymore.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

Sure, but considering how brutal the rules were for the previous expansion teams, it's a pretty low bar. It's not like they were plucking proven and consistent 30 goal scorers left and right. And ultimately, so much of their success hinged on Tallon gifting them Marchessault and Smith. I don't think anyone is talking about William Karlsson, 40 goal scorer, if he doesn't get Marchessault on his line.

I am veeeeery curious how next season will play out for them. Might not be the same thing when you've signed a bunch of guys to extensions and they're not the castoffs anymore.

Plus they’re probably going to lose Perron and Neal to UFA. I see Vegas being a playoff team without those two, as long as flower stays healthy.

11 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

“Expansion team full of nobodies” was given the easiest and most instant-contender lineup ever by the NHL. They came together as a great team, and that’s awesome, but don’t pretend like Billy Karlsson, Marchessault, and James Neal aren’t 3 elite offensive players and MAF isn’t one of the 5 best goalies in the NHL. This isn’t exactly the expansion ducks.

Yeah I gotta point out no one in their right mind was calling Wild Bill elite, especially before this season. March at least you knew he had the potential. Hell Perron even by some miracle found his game, but also reverted back to Mister Glass after a while too.

11 hours ago, Marshall said:

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

Plus they’re probably going to lose Perron and Neal to UFA. I see Vegas being a playoff team without those two, as long as flower stays healthy.

Points conceded, but don't forget that in addition to getting a better draw of talent they were also able to finagle trades to collect draft picks (and some developmental assets if memory serves).  So while they do have work to do, they have far more in the way of assets to cover their losses than any expansion team before.  Is it a low bar?  Yes, I concede that, but imho they weren't given just a bit more leeway than past teams; they were handed a wonderful position to start their franchise.

My guess is that they tail off as they lose some of the best of their current players or they simply age.  However, if they draft and develop well they should recover quickly and return to being a surprisingly strong team.  Tough to say given that these are largely unknowns, but if I'm VGK GM I would like my chances.

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

That no-goal call should have stood. Don't understand the reversal. Bonino kicked it in.

Just now, SeanMac16 said:

Is anyone else watching the Nashville game? I really feel like that was a kicking motion even the ref there immediately signaled no goal.

Nasvhville isn't the Devils my friends.

In all seriousness though, Colorado can't get anything going.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:
3 minutes ago, SeanMac16 said:

Nasvhville isn't the Devils my friends.

Hahaha this is true. Hopefully the devils can pull it off tomorrow. Go back to what we were doing in the season and shut them down. LGD!