2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I will. I want hockey developed in this country. We lost one market to Canada already, we don't need to hand them another. Raleigh is also a great town, and I'd take Florida for relocation before the Canes. 

Don't get me wrong, Quebec City is one of my absolute favorite cities in the world, but my priorities are with hockey in this country. I did support QC over Vegas for expansion, but I surely will never hope for us to lose a team to Canada. 

There are currently 31 teams. 7 of them are Canadian. They practically invented the goddamn sport. We can afford to let them have another basement team.

Edit: Raleigh is a sh!thole undeserved of a hockey team and Florida sucks JUST as bad. Mediocrity doesn't breed national exposure let alone local interest. 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not at all.  Putting a team legend as coach and a GM who underwhelmed in Atlanta is not really a recipe for success.

But I am cheering for this.  fvck that franchise.  I hope they fold.

My wife is from Hartford, and they broke their heart when they moved.  May they and their fair-weather fans go down in flames; they do not deserve an NHL franchise.  They belong in Hartford!

But I would consider moving them to Quebec City, another city far more deserving than Raleigh.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’ll take the atmosphere and passion I’m seeing in Winnipeg over Atlanta or Carolina any day...

While I don't disagree with this, I'd prefer to see it here in the U.S.

9 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I will. I want hockey developed in this country. We lost one market to Canada already, we don't need to hand them another. Raleigh is also a great town, and I'd take Florida for relocation before the Canes. 

Don't get me wrong, Quebec City is one of my absolute favorite cities in the world, but my priorities are with hockey in this country. I did support QC over Vegas for expansion, but I surely will never hope for us to lose a team to Canada. 

Agreed, especially because my brother is actually moving to Raleigh in a few weeks and I would love to go visit him there and catch a Devils game.  They're still a relatively young franchise having only been there for two decades now, and not having had a ton of success.  They also don't have nearly the support and backing of a great owner like the Lightning have had - really makes you appreciate the work the organization has put in down in Tampa.

Also, before Winnipeg just got a team back a couple years ago and before the Vegas expansion, there were 6 Canadian teams and 30 total, so mathematically a team from that country should have won a Cup every 5 years, and I always thought it was hilarious that the last one to win was in 93, 25 years ago.  It's literally been 5 times as long as it should have for one of them to win, and each year for the past decade or two I've found it hilarious and pretty cool when the last remaining Canadian team is ousted from the playoffs.  I thought Winnipeg had a real good chance to end that this year, but after blowing home ice last game and losing 4-0, I think they definitely get knocked out tonight.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

While I don't disagree with this, I'd prefer to see it here in the U.S.

Agreed, especially because my brother is actually moving to Raleigh in a few weeks and I would love to go visit him there and catch a Devils game.  They're still a relatively young franchise having only been there for two decades now, and not having had a ton of success.  They also don't have nearly the support and backing of a great owner like the Lightning have had - really makes you appreciate the work the organization has put in down in Tampa.

Also, before Winnipeg just got a team back a couple years ago and before the Vegas expansion, there were 6 Canadian teams and 30 total, so mathematically a team from that country should have won a Cup every 5 years, and I always thought it was hilarious that the last one to win was in 93, 25 years ago.  It's literally been 5 times as long as it should have for one of them to win, and each year for the past decade or two I've found it hilarious and pretty cool when the last remaining Canadian team is ousted from the playoffs.  I thought Winnipeg had a real good chance to end that this year, but after blowing home ice last game and losing 4-0, I think they definitely get knocked out tonight.

I don't think that's how math works.

I really wish the NHL would just move on from Carolina, there's other cities that are so much more deserving. I'm all for growing the game, but it's just not working in Carolina, and everyone knows it but Bettman is too stubborn to do anything about it. No one gives a flying fvck about hockey in Carolina, and you can't even use the championship argument against them as they've one a post-lockout cup and this is the fanbase they have to show for it. Just look at the tail end of this interview with Justin Williams near the end of the season, even the players know no one gives a fvck about hockey there.

I'm all for growing the game in the United States, but jesus try it somewhere different it's just not working there. Try Hartford again, hell try Kansas City again, but only a total of 4 players have been produced out of the Carolinas that are NHL owned right now – Jared Boll, Ben Smith, Logan Brown, and Ryan Hartman – hell at least Arizona produced Auston Matthews, the effort is to grow the game down south and the Hurricanes can barely even do that.

EDIT: After looking into it just a tad bit more, those 4 players aren't just the only active NHL players from the Carolinas, but they're the only players EVER to play in the NHL from the Carolinas. You can't use the growing the game argument, they're not.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I mean, it is.  If a different team won the Cup every year, probability wise, a Canadian team should win it once every 5 years.  But you're free to do math any way you want, I guess.

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean, it is.  If a different team won the Cup every year, probability wise, a Canadian team should win it once every 5 years.  But you're free to do math any way you want, I guess.

All things being equal then your math probably works.  But the NHL is not as not all teams are equal.  It's more like having certain teams weighted more heavily due to being better run and more successful.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

52 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

All things being equal then your math probably works.  But the NHL is not as not all teams are equal.  It's more like having certain teams weighted more heavily due to being better run and more successful.

20 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Do you also think the Browns are statistically just as likely to win the Super Bowl as the Patriots last year? 1/32, right?

That's a very rudimentary (see: incorrect) way of looking at things. 

Ok you fvckers, I don't come here to think, stop trying to get me to do maths!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Do you also think the Browns are statistically just as likely to win the Super Bowl as the Patriots last year? 1/32, right?

That's a very rudimentary (see: incorrect) way of looking at things. 

Yes, it IS a very rudimentary way of looking at things...it was supposed to be lol.  And no, I don't think the Browns are just as likely to win.  My point had nothing to do with being likely to win based on skill and team talent, it was on pure math and raw probability.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Correct.  I thought that was obvious, but I guess not lol.  

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I really wish the NHL would just move on from Carolina, there's other cities that are so much more deserving. I'm all for growing the game, but it's just not working in Carolina, and everyone knows it but Bettman is too stubborn to do anything about it. No one gives a flying fvck about hockey in Carolina, and you can't even use the championship argument against them as they've one a post-lockout cup and this is the fanbase they have to show for it. Just look at the tail end of this interview with Justin Williams near the end of the season, even the players know no one gives a fvck about hockey there

The crowds were awesome in 2006 down there. I was down there for the Devils games in the second round.

The problem is they did nothing to maintain the fan base after winning the cup. They have made the playoffs 1 time in the past 11 seasons since then. That's not going to put people in seats in many markets nowadays. Including our own team. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yes, it IS a very rudimentary way of looking at things...it was supposed to be lol.  And no, I don't think the Browns are just as likely to win.  My point had nothing to do with being likely to win based on skill and team talent, it was on pure math and raw probability.

Correct.  I thought that was obvious, but I guess not lol.  

But then you went on and said that Canadian teams should have one a Cup by now given that they have a 1/6 chance of winning.

Why even make your statement when it is obvious it isn't true as it doesn't take team skill and talent into the equation?

I think you are just trying to talk your way out of the hole you dig yourself.  Whatever, I am done with this convo anyways.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Also, if we extend that math to other things, all players have a 50% shooting percentage because it could go in or not, and all goalies have a .500 save percentage for the same reason. 

Yeah lol.  Technically speaking, that's accurate, but in the same sense that that's a ridiculous way of looking at it, I was pretty sure everyone would understand that obviously a Canadian team wouldn't win the Cup every 5 years.  The point is that, with them representing 16% of the league, it's still very funny that they haven't won a Cup in 25 years.  That's a quarter of a century. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

But then you went on and said that Canadian teams should have one a Cup by now given that they have a 1/6 chance of winning.

Why even make your statement when it is obvious it isn't true as it doesn't take team skill and talent into the equation?

I think you are just trying to talk your way out of the hole you dig yourself.  Whatever, I am done with this convo anyways.

Hole I dug myself in?  Wow.  Lighten up man lol.  All I'm saying is that, statistically, yes, they do in fact have a 1/6 chance of winning.  Of course when you factor in that several of those teams have been pretty bad in the last 25 years, then yes, obviously it's not AS much of a surprise that one of them hasn't won, but it's still pretty surprising.  At least to me. :unsure:  Eek.  

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

I guess he is referring to mathematical probability, rather than actual probability based on skill level, drafting, trades, free agents, etc...

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I guess he is referring to mathematical probability, rather than actual probability based on skill level, drafting, trades, free agents, etc...

Yup.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hole I dug myself in?  Wow.  Lighten up man lol.  All I'm saying is that, statistically, yes, they do in fact have a 1/6 chance of winning.  Of course when you factor in that several of those teams have been pretty bad in the last 25 years, then yes, obviously it's not AS much of a surprise that one of them hasn't won, but it's still pretty surprising.  At least to me. :unsure:  Eek.  

Why even bring it up?  You even doubled down on your fuzzy math in your first reply back to me when I said I think your math was off.

Ok let me use your logic.  The Islanders last won the Cup over 30 years ago.  By using your logic I should say they should have won another cup by now.  However, that is not surprising in any way.  Why?  Because they have largely sucked in that time. So why even be astonished at that?

Same goes with several other teams in the league.

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Even statistics and probability take into account the fact that your results may be different based on weighted measures.

If you want to use his logic, then the Penguins shouldn't win another cup in 60 years since they won 2 in the row.

Edited by DevsMan84

33 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Even statistics and probability take into account the fact that your results may be different based on weighted measures.

If you want to use his logic, then the Penguins shouldn't win another cup in 60 years since they won 2 in the row.

One can only hope

• Like 1