2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

Caps are done. Shame on me for thinking this team was different. 

I thought beating Pittsburgh would be the breakthrough the Caps needed to take the next step, but it ain’t looking good for them right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I thought beating Pittsburgh would be the breakthrough the Caps needed to take the next step, but it ain’t looking good for them right now.

I thought it, too. The Game 3 effort at home against TB was a crime to their fans, and the Game 5 effort wasn't very good either.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 9:43 AM, titans04 said:

Imagine being a LV fan and throwing a few dollars on them to win the cup for the hell of it at 500-1. Still may not happen but one hell of a feel good story for me. 

21 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

My brother and I were talking about this last night. There has to be more than one hometown fan who did.

For sh!ts and giggles, I put $20 on them and $20 on the Devils when I was in Vegas back in November.... After hitting the exacta yesterday in the Preakness... this could be a really good few weeks!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Pretty wild about Vegas.  Something about it annoys me though, can’t really put my finger on it.

Same here. I know I should just be happy for them, but it will rub me the wrong way to see a team win it that fast. I’ve been suffering with my NFL team (Bengals) all my life, others need to suffer a little too. :P

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Pretty wild about Vegas.  Something about it annoys me though, can’t really put my finger on it.

Exactly. A team winning the cup in its first year after many expansion teams had to go through a tough process to win just rubs me the wrong way. 

9 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Exactly. A team winning the cup in its first year after many expansion teams had to go through a tough process to win just rubs me the wrong way. 

I’m the exact opposite. I think it’s great. It shows you how incompetent some teams are, it also shows you how well they were built by McPhee, how horrendously stupid some teams are (hello Panthers) and it’s the epitome of guys rallying together for the jersey and not themselves.

EDIT: I hit on the incompetent point twice, it’s staying. One for talent assessment, the other on how poorly managed they are.

EDIT 2: A majority of people want the feel good story when their team is eliminated from the playoffs. Be it the Cinderella story, or so and so finally conquering their last hurdle. Now that we have the proverbial definition of a Cinderella story, that tune has suddenly changed because “they haven’t paid their dues.” This isn’t the 70’s where expansion teams auto-qualified for the post season, nor is it a league of only a handful of teams. Vegas played their asses off for damn near 100 games and have absolutely earned their spot.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 4

Just now, jagknife said:

I’m the exact opposite. I think it’s great. It shows you how incompetent some teams are, it also shows you how well they were built by McPhee, how horrendously stupid some teams are (hello Panthers) and it’s the epitome of guys rallying together for the jersey and not themselves.

Oh I agree, it's a great story. But Vegas got it WAY, WAY easier than pretty much every other expansion team in the league. But hey, it is what it is. 

6 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Oh I agree, it's a great story. But Vegas got it WAY, WAY easier than pretty much every other expansion team in the league. But hey, it is what it is. 

They also worked the system in their favor. Do I think Seattle, with the same rules, will have the same success? Doubt it, but I think it is an absolute commendable job by McPhee, who was branded as a failure because he never won a cup in Washington, and Gallant who was branded a loser unfairly and forced to call his own cab in Florida

I may be in the minority here, but I think it makes a complete mockery of the sport that an expansion team could make it to the championship finals in their first year.

The NHL loves to pedal this "toughest trophy in sports" narrative and how it takes years and potentially decades of practice, dedication, and perfecting a roster to achieve greatness... and now you have a team of misfit spare parts that are probably going to win the whole thing.

Not a good look for the NHL as far as integrity is concerned, imo.  It'll make a great Disney movie in ten years, though.

Edited by Devilsfan118

18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I may be in the minority here, but I think it makes a complete mockery of the sport that an expansion team could make it to the championship finals in their first year.

The NHL loves to pedal this "toughest trophy in sports" narrative and how it takes years and potentially decades of practice, dedication, and perfecting a roster to achieve greatness... and now you have a team of misfit spare parts that are probably going to win the whole thing.

Not a good look for the NHL as far as integrity is concerned, imo.  It'll make a great Disney movie in ten years, though.

Good let Bettman stew in it. Let's go Knights

• Like 2

This is what you get when you do everything you can to have parity throughout the league. When you try to put all teams in equal footing, an expansion team winds up being better than they should have been.

Mission accomplished. 

• Like 3

I think LV is a great story and will gain the NHL so much more positive publicity than a stupid toughest sport in the world to win a championship bs campaign.  The whole toughest sport to win is a complete fabrication and based on absolutely nothing.  The LV story is a cinderella story that truly means anything can happen.  Come on Ryan Reaves with the amazing deflection for the series winning goal - can't make that stuff up.  Hopefully they can pull it out.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, titans04 said:

I think LV is a great story and will gain the NHL so much more positive publicity than a stupid toughest sport in the world to win a championship bs campaign.  The whole toughest sport to win is a complete fabrication and based on absolutely nothing.  The LV story is a cinderella story that truly means anything can happen.  Come on Ryan Reaves with the amazing deflection for the series winning goal - can't make that stuff up.  Hopefully they can pull it out.

It IS a great story, and the VGK players have worked really hard to get to this point.  You really have to credit them for that.  Nothing was handed to them.  it also helps having a stud goaltender!

• Like 1