2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

12 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Will also mention that the Lightning being eliminated helps keep that pick to the Rangers as a 2nd and not a 1st, for now at least.

Right now they're sitting at 9th, 26th, and 28th with those 1st's they picked up, hopefully they don't get another out of Tampa next year.

2 hours ago, bostondevil11 said:

I hated the narrative that Ovi wasn't a winner and couldn't get it done in the playoffs.  He is really showing that fire this playoffs.  I loved when he was asked if he was going to touch the Prince of Wales trophy and he said yeah your going to watch me right now!

I think Ovi's been blasted a bit unfairly at times, but he really NEEDED to have a playoff run like this, at this point in his career.  In his last five playoffs (60 GP total), he scored just 21 goals and had 40 points overall, on 8.3% shooting (he's at 12.4% for his career in the regular season)...for a guy who's such a scoring beast, that simply was not good enough (especially when you realize that he WAS scoring plenty of playoff goals in his first four postseasons:  25 in his first 37 playoff games).  The metrics crowd would probably try to explain that five-year funk away with "short sample bad luck, he was still getting his shots, etc" (sabermetricians often would site similar "short sample bad luck" scenarios when dismissing Alex Rodriguez's multiple playoff follies), and they're not entirely wrong, but at some point, Ovi really need to have a big year in the postseason, pretty much right now...and he's done that.  If he has a big SCF, it will be very hard for his detractors to get on him for a while.   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Ovi's been blasted a bit unfairly at times, but he really NEEDED to have a playoff run like this, at this point in his career.  In his last five playoffs (60 GP total), he scored just 21 goals and had 40 points overall, on 8.3% shooting (he's at 12.4% for his career in the regular season)...for a guy who's such a scoring beast, that simply was not good enough (especially when you realize that he WAS scoring plenty of playoff goals in his first four postseasons:  25 in his first 37 playoff games).  The metrics crowd would probably try to explain that five-year funk away with "short sample bad luck, he was still getting his shots, etc" (sabermetricians often would site similar "short sample bad luck" scenarios when dismissing Alex Rodriguez's multiple playoff follies), and they're not entirely wrong, but at some point, Ovi really need to have a big year in the postseason, pretty much right now...and he's done that.  If he has a big SCF, it will be very hard for his detractors to get on him for a while.   

Yup, ovie needed this big time, as the leader.. I think the larger picture was that the entire caps team were chokers.. hard to argue on the surface, however  Pittsburgh was one he'll of a loaded hockey team.. it wasn't like they were being knocked out by the hurricanes... 

Lets see how it plays out, vegas is for real, and that choker label is waiting in the wings to rear it's ugly head  ha ha

Right now they're sitting at 9th, 26th, and 28th with those 1st's they picked up, hopefully they don't get another out of Tampa next year.

Some idiot team in the top three will probably trade with them or the FlySchmucks, because of course our two biggest rivals both have to have multiple 1’s. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the fact that a team made up from players that teams didn't want or were so desperate to get rid of they paid LGK to take are competing for the Cup. But I also think Ovi is an amazing player and has dragged the Caps through the playoffs and I kind of think he deserves to have a Cup on his resume. But then again I freakin' hate Tom Wilson and don't want him on the winning side. Who to root for? Not a damn clue but I'm looking forward to watching it.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also again last night with the stupid will he or won't he pick up the trophy garbage. I can't stand this stupid, fake superstition. No other sport does this absolute nonsense. 

I think ovie slept with it last night

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'll take Vegas in 6, can't root for that sh!t bag Wilson and it lets all the Caps fans cry at home realizing the cup being raised by another team in their building will be the closest they ever get. 

I'm ok with this too! Although Ovi is an all-time favorite because of how hard he plays the game.

• Like 2