2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

lmao at Lars Eller there, Ovi's got to take that shot at the very end instead of trying to make that pass.

I see too much passing sometimes.  Just drive the net or take the shot.

Can we slow our roll on crowning them a dynasty already? The only team to even win back-to-back Cups this century was the Pens who have one of the top 5 players of all time. Some of these Vegas players that had career years like Karlsson could come back down to earth, and MAF has been inconsistent over the years. If they add some big names that could be a different story, but this team a dynasty? Idk about all that.

• Like 1

And VGK still has to deal with a veteran WSH team, which competed at a very tough place to play in. They still have a chance to steal one in Vegas, and then they go home.  There is still a lot of hockey to play in this series yet.

Hoping anyone can lay out Wilson, just once, and same can be said for Marchand. I know it's not nice to wish harm on someone. needs a taste of his own medicine.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's like a sideshow attraction.  Yeah you are getting eyeballs, but you ain't getting respect.

I understand you hate Vegas, but it's impossible to spin in it that Vegas isn't growing the game. The team has won over the hearts of the locals in Vegas and they're helping the NHL set record highs in ratings. This is fantastic for growing the NHL in the United States, and the numbers support it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I understand you hate Vegas, but it's impossible to spin in it that Vegas isn't growing the game. The team has won over the hearts of the locals in Vegas and they're helping the NHL set record highs in ratings. This is fantastic for growing the NHL in the United States, and the numbers support it.

Oh stop it. I never said I hate Vegas.  I was and still am a big supporter of them having a team in Vegas when others on this board insisted that it would never work.

Like I said they are getting eyeballs, but eyeballs do not equate respect for the league in general by outsiders.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oh stop it. I never said I hate Vegas.  I was and still am a big supporter of them having a team in Vegas when others on this board insisted that it would never work.

Like I said they are getting eyeballs, but eyeballs do not equate respect for the league in general by outsiders.

If this isn't winning the league "respect," then I think there's a criminal misunderstanding of what makes sports great and fun in North America. There were two huge sporting events last night: Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final and Game 7 of the Western Conference Final in the NBA. One saw an expansion team win the first game in the Final over a team playing in just their 2nd final in 40+ years of history – an unpredictable story that's producing great hockey. The other saw the production of the 4th consecutive Final with Golden State vs Cleveland in it and the 8th consecutive Final with Lebron James in it. What makes sports so much fun to me is the competitiveness and the unpredictable nature of it and the NHL is demonstrating it has the highest level of that in professional sports right now, bar none, while the NBA is slogging along with the most predictable and stale story in professional sports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

LV imo has a better shot at getting the attention and respect of outsiders more than any other team.  I think every team brings their fan base but expanding it outside that is something that LV might do in a small way.  Hockey will always be a niche sport no matter how hard the other leagues suck.

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If this isn't winning the league "respect," then I think there's a criminal misunderstanding of what makes sports great and fun in North America. There were two huge sporting events last night: Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final and Game 7 of the Western Conference Final in the NBA. One saw an expansion team win the first game in the Final over a team playing in just their 2nd final in 40+ years of history – an unpredictable story that's producing great hockey. The other saw the production of the 4th consecutive Final with Golden State vs Cleveland in it and the 8th consecutive Final with Lebron James in it. What makes sports so much fun to me is the competitiveness and the unpredictable nature of it and the NHL is demonstrating it has the highest level of that in professional sports right now, bar none, while the NBA is slogging along with the most predictable and stale story in professional sports.

We just went through 10 years where there were 4 different teams winning the cup.  We are closer to the NBA than what a lot of NHL fans like to admit.

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

LV imo has a better shot at getting the attention and respect of outsiders more than any other team.  I think every team brings their fan base but expanding it outside that is something that LV might do in a small way.  Hockey will always be a niche sport no matter how hard the other leagues suck.

They are getting the attention of outsiders because LV is doing something no other team out of the big 4 sports in NA has ever done: they have a chance of winning the league championship in their expansion year.

It's an oddity and a curiosity and nothing more.  You are not suddenly converting fans outside of LV to becoming NHL fans from this.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

We just went through 10 years where there were 4 different teams winning the cup.  We are closer to the NBA than what a lot of NHL fans like to admit.

The NHL is not anything like the NBA, in those 10 years the NHL had 14 different teams play in the Final while the NBA had just 9, and the past 8 finals have all had Lebron James in it, so stop with this narrative. Having top teams over a certain stretch happens in every sport, having literally the same teams and the same player over and over happens only in the NBA.

Also, for a guy that's apparently so pro-Vegas, you seem to get awfully fired up every time someone says something positive about Vegas.

So what do you suppose would bring more respect and outsiders to the table?

My take is there is nothing better than what's going on.  Will it make a noticeable difference, probably not but it might a hair and that's more than anything else I can think of.

8 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

The NHL is not anything like the NBA, in those 10 years the NHL had 14 different teams play in the Final while the NBA had just 9, and the past 8 finals have all had Lebron James in it, so stop with this narrative. Having top teams over a certain stretch happens in every sport, having literally the same teams and the same player over and over happens only in the NBA.

Also, for a guy that's apparently so pro-Vegas, you seem to get awfully fired up every time someone says something positive about Vegas.

Only in the NBA?  lol so Tom Brady in the NFL is not an issue to you either?  ok then.

I responded to you taking shots at "cynics of Vegas".  It's pretty much the same as "lulz, suck it haterz!"  Stop trying to warp the narrative.  You were looking to stir the pot.

Edited by DevsMan84

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

My take is there is nothing better than what's going on.  Will it make a noticeable difference, probably not but it might a hair and that's more than anything else I can think of.

I never said I had any answers.  However, when the sideshow is over the people outside of Vegas will stop caring.

Look- if you’re a so-called ‘outsider’-or the more commonly referred to ‘casual’ fan (you know, the one the league has been chasing unsuccessfully since time immemorial, and to the detriment at times of us hard cores)-who wants to see goals and up and down chaos and excitement, and you tuned in and watched that game last night out of sheer curiosity over Vegas, and you came away not ‘respecting’ the game of hockey, or at the very least not intrigued enough to watch game 2, then you’re an idiot who should stick to the NBA. Period. I don’t want you as a hockey fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Look- if you’re a so-called ‘outsider’-or the more commonly referred to ‘casual’ fan (you know, the one the league has been chasing unsuccessfully since time immemorial, and to the detriment at times of us hard cores)-who wants to see goals and up and down chaos and excitement, and you tuned in and watched that game last night out of sheer curiosity over Vegas, and you came away not ‘respecting’ the game of hockey, or at the very least not intrigued enough to watch game 2, then you’re an idiot who should stick to the NBA. Period. I don’t want you as a hockey fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the finals are over they will indeed forget about the NHL and move back to the other leagues including the NBA finals.