2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

I must be more of a heartless a$$hole than the majority of you. I just don't care that he won or their fans finally got to see a win. Means absolutely nothing to me and I'm not even the slightest bit happy for anyone on that team or their fans. fvck em. 

Amazing what a few years of being dog sh!t can do for some teams. I remember going to a Devils game in DC in Ovi's first year down there and moved from the rafters downstairs because nobody was there cause nobody gave a sh!t. The bandwagons sure do get full when a team starts finally getting over that dog sh!t hump. Ours included. 

That being said I really didn't care who won. I watched every playoff game this year like I always do but I was really burnt out on it this year and I'm glad it's over. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Is it just me or does anyone else keep getting chills watching Ovechkin lift the Cup from last night? Holy sh!t dude that raw emotion, that's the most emotional Cup hoist I can think of. Ovechkin wanted that in the worst way, I can't help but feel so incredibly happy for him.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'd never call you a heartless a-hole. You aren't one. But you're so seriously far off-base here... it's confusing. You're entitled to feel however you want to feel, but take a second to dissect what you said. 

"Amazing what a few years of being dog-sh!t can do for some teams"... my dude. The Devils were positive dog-sh!t for a few years in order to assemble the teams that carried them through the 90s/2000s. You think Niedermayer and Shanahan (Stevens) came because the Devils were smart? No, they came because the Devils sucked massive donkey nose. We just drafted Nico with the 1st overall pick. We were a laughingstock for 5 years that only just recently ended. 

And then you criticize their attendance in Ovechkins first year.... I mean. C'mon. The first post-lockout year? The Devils were significantly better than the Capitals that year and I would guarantee had a significantly poorer attendance record. I went to 20 games that year as a half-season ticket holder with my dad, we had seats in 217 and watched ~18 of those games from 3 rows behind the glass because the lower bowl was 70% empty. Glass houses / throwing stones and all that jazz. But can you blame the city of Washington for rallying behind Ovechkin? 

We have 95, 2000, 03 to look back on. Even 2011. When we're in our darkest days we can google "Devils Stanley Cup" and pick which game we want to watch. We can watch 'Henrique, it's over" or "The Celebration Starts" or "Elias in front to Arnott". The Caps fans had nothing. Nothing! They got supremely unlucky that their rise coincided with a meteoric rise of a team who tanked harder than they did and lucked into two generational Hall of Fame players. If Crosby doesn't exist, Ovechkin probably won his 3rd cup last night. Instead, year after year, he had to go to war with a team that was great, but not good enough to take on the 2010s version of a dynasty. 

I was happier for Ovechkin lifting the Cup than I have been for any player that wasn't a Devil in my life. Plus, maybe they'll stop showing the Borque highlight now. 

Well that's why I added "Ours included" into the bandwagon category. Our fan base is just as guilty of it, almost all American sports teams are. 

Honestly for me it really comes down to that if it's not my team and not my fan base then I don't give a sh!t and I'm not the least bit happy for him or their fan base because I don't care about Ovi, the caps or their fan base. 

I just can't get into the yay caps! Yay ovi! You deserve it! Good for them! Yay sportsmanship! stuff. It's just not for me. All 30 teams and their fans can go fvck themselves. 

I know that's not how everyone feels and I'm definitely in the minority but I'm just being honest about it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

15 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Is it just me or does anyone else keep getting chills watching Ovechkin lift the Cup from last night? Holy sh!t dude that raw emotion, that's the emotional Cup hoist I can think of. Ovechkin wanted that in the worst way, I can't help but feel so incredibly happy for him.

Absolutely I do.  That's why I'm happy for him.  Can't think of someone else recently that wanted it more than he did.  And he did really deserve it, not only for the work he has put in throughout his career up to this point, but also because he did have quite a good post-season this year as well.  He deserved the MVP and the Cup in my opinion.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just can't get into the yay caps! Yay ovi! Good for them! Yay sportsmanship! stuff. Way too many people adopting other teams for my taste. All 30 teams and their fans can go fvck themselves. 

To each their own, but must be a sad existence as a sports fan when you can only enjoy it though the lens of 1 team when there are so many. Sports is a drama and every year has a story. When it doesn't work out for your team but you love the sport you find other ways to enjoy it as you watch the story unfold. It doesn't mean you're dumping your favorite team to do it. Like I said, to each their own. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

To each their own, but must be a sad existence as a sports fan when you can only enjoy it though the lens of 1 team when there are so many. Sports is a drama and every year has a story. When it doesn't work out for your team but you love the sport you find other ways to enjoy it as you watch the story unfold. It doesn't mean you're dumping your favorite team to do it. Like I said, to each their own. 

I totally get it but for me I don't care about the characters involved in the story so there is no drama for me. That drama ended when we got eliminated. I'm also a Red Bulls season ticket holder so once the Devils are done most of my attention goes to them. Also a big wrestling fan so I get plenty of drama and stories there lol

I think the Devils getting back into the hunt this year is what really made me not enjoy the playoffs this year once we were out. I wasn't expecting a cup win and the run we had was awesome but it definitely brought back me wanting us there and if it's not us then fvck off mood for me. Missing the playoffs for 5 years mellowed me out for a bit lol

I mean, I kind of agree with SH that there is a bit of phoniness, not so much with actual Caps fans, but with all these people now saying how happy they are for Ovechkin, the fans of DC and so forth.   Not too long ago, a lot of these people were talking about how the Caps should actually try and trade Ovechkin for pennies on the dollar. 

I don't follow Wyshinski any more because he's an insufferable social justice jihadi, but as I recall he was one of those that would blabber on about how most of the big name Russian players were horrible human beings because they supported Putin.  Now I imagine he feels great for him.

For my part, was rooting for Washington, mainly because I felt having an expansion team win the Cup in the first year would be really hokey, but I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I'd never call you a heartless a-hole. You aren't one. But you're so seriously far off-base here... it's confusing. You're entitled to feel however you want to feel, but take a second to dissect what you said. 

"Amazing what a few years of being dog-sh!t can do for some teams"... my dude. The Devils were positive dog-sh!t for a few years in order to assemble the teams that carried them through the 90s/2000s. You think Niedermayer and Shanahan (Stevens) came because the Devils were smart? No, they came because the Devils sucked massive donkey nose. We just drafted Nico with the 1st overall pick. We were a laughingstock for 5 years that only just recently ended. 

And then you criticize their attendance in Ovechkins first year.... I mean. C'mon. The first post-lockout year? The Devils were significantly better than the Capitals that year and I would guarantee had a significantly poorer attendance record. I went to 20 games that year as a half-season ticket holder with my dad, we had seats in 217 and watched ~18 of those games from 3 rows behind the glass because the lower bowl was 70% empty. Glass houses / throwing stones and all that jazz. But can you blame the city of Washington for rallying behind Ovechkin? 

We have 95, 2000, 03 to look back on. Even 2011. When we're in our darkest days we can google "Devils Stanley Cup" and pick which game we want to watch. We can watch 'Henrique, it's over" or "The Celebration Starts" or "Elias in front to Arnott". The Caps fans had nothing. Nothing! They got supremely unlucky that their rise coincided with a meteoric rise of a team who tanked harder than they did and lucked into two generational Hall of Fame players. If Crosby doesn't exist, Ovechkin probably won his 3rd cup last night. Instead, year after year, he had to go to war with a team that was great, but not good enough to take on the 2010s version of a dynasty. 

I was happier for Ovechkin lifting the Cup than I have been for any player that wasn't a Devil in my life. Plus, maybe they'll stop showing the Borque highlight now. 

Well, in fairness, Niedermayer did indeed come because Lou was VERY smart.  He refused to take anything less than a first-round pick for Tom Kurvers (who was pretty good and could definitely provide some offense, but great he was not), and Toronto actually bit.  As we know, it was that pick that would become Niedermayer (it actually had a chance of becoming Lindros for a while).  

But yeah, a big key to having successful teams is hitting on your high picks when you're having those rough down years (and the pre-Lou Devils had plenty of them).  Looks like the Devils hit on one with Nico.  Maybe not so much with Zacha.  We'll see about McLeod.  And what's often forgotten is that Lou inherited a nice slew of young developing talent when he came to the Devils...the cupboard definitely wasn't as bare as some would've thought.  What's sad is the Devils really blew some early picks too (first rounders only, except where noted): 

1981 (Rockies):  5th - Joe Cirella

1982:  8th - Rocky Trottier, 18th - Ken Daneyko  (Verbeek was taken 43rd in the 3rd round)

1983:  6th - John MacLean

1984:  2nd - Kirk Muller

1985:  3rd - Craig Wolanin (was later moved for an aging/fading Peter Stastny)

1986:  3rd - Neil Brady (ouch)

1987:  2nd - Brendan Shanahan

Maybe it's because my daughter has so much going now that the time just isn't there to watch the rest of the playoffs unfold, but in some ways I'm with Satan's Hockey, in that once the Devils are done, I just don't feel the need to continue to watch.  I'm happy for Ovechkin on some level (all ya gotta do it win one and it's such a massive weight off your shoulders...I'm happiest for him on that level, because sometimes stars take too much of the blame within a team concept, and it can definitely be unfair and borderline cruel), but it's definitely not an overwhelming "YEEEEEESSSSS OVI!" feeling in the slightest.  It's more of a "I would love to see Taylor Hall in the same exact place sometime soon" feeling. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, in fairness, Niedermayer did indeed come because Lou was VERY smart.  He refused to take anything less than a first-round pick for Tom Kurvers (who was pretty good and could definitely provide some offense, but great he was not), and Toronto actually bit.  As we know, it was that pick that would become Niedermayer (it actually had a chance of becoming Lindros for a while).  

But yeah, a big key to having successful teams is hitting on your high picks when you're having those rough down years (and the pre-Lou Devils had plenty of them).  Looks like the Devils hit on one with Nico.  Maybe not so much with Zacha.  We'll see about McLeod.  And what's often forgotten is that Lou inherited a nice slew of young developing talent when he came to the Devils...the cupboard definitely wasn't as bare as some would've thought.  What's sad is the Devils really blew some early picks too (first rounders only, except where noted): 

1981 (Rockies):  5th - Joe Cirella

1982:  8th - Rocky Trottier, 18th - Ken Daneyko  (Verbeek was taken 43rd in the 3rd round)

1983:  6th - John MacLean

1984:  2nd - Kirk Muller

1985:  3rd - Craig Wolanin (was later moved for an aging/fading Peter Stastny)

1986:  3rd - Neil Brady (ouch)

1987:  2nd - Brendan Shanahan

Maybe it's because my daughter has so much going now that the time just isn't there to watch the rest of the playoffs unfold, but in some ways I'm with Satan's Hockey, in that once the Devils are done, I just don't feel the need to continue to watch.  I'm happy for Ovechkin on some level (all ya gotta do it win one and it's such a massive weight off your shoulders...I'm happiest for him on that level, because sometimes stars take too much of the blame within a team concept, and it can definitely be unfair and borderline cruel), but it's definitely not an overwhelming "YEEEEEESSSSS OVI!" feeling in the slightest.  It's more of a "I would love to see Taylor Hall in the same exact place sometime soon" feeling. 

• Like 3

Yeah I am with SH on this as well.  While I still watched some of the games including last night, my interest and enthusiasm dropped significantly after the Devils were eliminated.  Great for Ovi and such, but I really can't get all pumped about him finally winning a cup.

I used to be really into following all the other teams in the league, the storylines, the drama, etc when I was younger.  As I got older I just found myself caring less and less about this outside of my favorite team and I am to the point where I am both too busy and too bored about the other teams to care.

• Like 1

Played less games than our 108th pick that year, Troy Crowder. My favorite Crowder stat, 150 NHL games played, 433 penalty minutes. Badass. 

Crowder also helped bring us Randy McKay, undoubtedly his greatest contribution to the franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk