Jump to content
LittleBallofHate

2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Recommended Posts

So what do you suppose would bring more respect and outsiders to the table?
My take is there is nothing better than what's going on.  Will it make a noticeable difference, probably not but it might a hair and that's more than anything else I can think of.
 

Look- if you’re a so-called ‘outsider’-or the more commonly referred to ‘casual’ fan (you know, the one the league has been chasing unsuccessfully since time immemorial, and to the detriment at times of us hard cores)-who wants to see goals and up and down chaos and excitement, and you tuned in and watched that game last night out of sheer curiosity over Vegas, and you came away not ‘respecting’ the game of hockey, or at the very least not intrigued enough to watch game 2, then you’re an idiot who should stick to the NBA. Period. I don’t want you as a hockey fan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Look- if you’re a so-called ‘outsider’-or the more commonly referred to ‘casual’ fan (you know, the one the league has been chasing unsuccessfully since time immemorial, and to the detriment at times of us hard cores)-who wants to see goals and up and down chaos and excitement, and you tuned in and watched that game last night out of sheer curiosity over Vegas, and you came away not ‘respecting’ the game of hockey, or at the very least not intrigued enough to watch game 2, then you’re an idiot who should stick to the NBA. Period. I don’t want you as a hockey fan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the finals are over they will indeed forget about the NHL and move back to the other leagues including the NBA finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Only in the NBA?  lol so Tom Brady in the NFL is not an issue to you either?  ok then.

I responded to you taking shots at "cynics of Vegas".  It's pretty much the same as "lulz, suck it haterz!"  Stop trying to warp the narrative.  You were looking to stir the pot.

No, you responded to the notion that Vegas is good for growing the game of hockey, stop trying to warp the narrative. And when I'm referring to the cynics of Vegas, I said that with a lot of what I see on Twitter in mind and what my old man was saying last night while watching the game, and as far as I know my old man is not a poster here. It's not my fault you took my post as a shot at you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

No, you responded to the notion that Vegas is good for growing the game of hockey, stop trying to warp the narrative. And when I'm referring to the cynics of Vegas, I said that with a lot of what I see on Twitter in mind and what my old man was saying last night while watching the game, and as far as I know my old man is not a poster here. It's not my fault you took my post as a shot at you.

lol fair enough.  Do you tell your old man how he should feel and think about Vegas as well?

Edited by DevsMan84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol fair enough.  Do you tell your old man how he should feel and think about Vegas as well?

No, I can disagree with him and we can have a healthy back and forth, but at least I know where he stands on Vegas and I just kind of accept it. What does bother me is when people that are so clearly anti-Vegas try to sit on the fence and pretend that they're not, I don't try to force people to feel a certain way but I appreciate when people are honest on their viewpoints.

Anyways I'm done with this, in the end this is a hockey forum on the internet and we're all Devils fans anyways, let's just stop bickering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After the finals are over they will indeed forget about the NHL and move back to the other leagues including the NBA finals.

Well, they’re never gonna like hockey no matter what then. Again, if that game didn’t resonate with a novice hockey viewer, then they they can go watch Warriors-Lebrons for the 45th time in a row, and they’ll deserve every 30-point Golden State blowout they get. Any casual sports fan who chooses basketball over hockey doesn’t deserve to be suitably entertained.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

No, I can disagree with him and we can have a healthy back and forth, but at least I know where he stands on Vegas and I just kind of accept it. What does bother me is when people that are so clearly anti-Vegas try to sit on the fence and pretend that they're not, I don't try to force people to feel a certain way but I appreciate when people are honest on their viewpoints.

Anyways I'm done with this, in the end this is a hockey forum on the internet and we're all Devils fans anyways, let's just stop bickering.

I am not anti-Vegas.  I just think them winning is sort of embarrassing.  If they win it is not the end of the world and I will be happy for them.  It is not fence-sitting, it is having separate opinions on them in general versus them winning in their first year of existence.  If you don't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.  Not everything is either this or that or black and white.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:


Well, they’re never gonna like hockey no matter what then. Again, if that game didn’t resonate with a novice hockey viewer, then they they can go watch Warriors-Lebrons for the 45th time in a row, and they’ll deserve every 30-point Golden State blowout they get. Any casual sports fan who chooses basketball over hockey doesn’t deserve to be suitably entertained.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's just hating basketball for the sake of it.  I have a number of friends and co-workers whom while they may not care for the same teams over and over again, they still find it riveting.  Also both the GSW and Cavs had to go to game 7's to get to the finals after both were down 3-2 in their series.  It wasn't a guarantee that they would make it to the finals.

Taking who the teams are out of the equation, weren't last year's SCF just as exciting as the 1 game this year?  I mean game 1 ended last year 5-3 where it was tied 3-3 with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period.  So why the big difference? (we both know the answer to that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am not anti-Vegas.  I just think them winning is sort of embarrassing.  If they win it is not the end of the world and I will be happy for them.  It is not fence-sitting, it is having separate opinions on them in general versus them winning in their first year of existence.  If you don't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.  Not everything is either this or that or black and white.

You know who it’s embarrassing for? Dale Tallon and Vinny Viola, Jarmo Kekalainen, Bob Murray, Chuck Fletcher, and Jim Rutherford. The league gave Vegas more favorable rules, but those six guys are the ones who are primarily responsible for Vegas having the team they have. GM’s will tread much more carefully when it’s Seattle’s turn.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You know who it’s embarrassing for? Dale Tallon and Vinny Viola, Jarmo Kekalainen, Bob Murray, Chuck Fletcher, and Jim Rutherford. The league gave Vegas more favorable rules, but those six guys are the ones who are primarily responsible for Vegas having the team they have. GM’s will tread much more carefully when it’s Seattle’s turn.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with that part as well.  The league and those GM's shot themselves in their feet.  The league reaps what it sows, but I am not going to sit here and say that I absolutely love the idea of an expansion team winning supposedly the hardest trophy to win in all of sports in their first year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree with that part as well.  The league and those GM's shot themselves in their feet.  The league reaps what it sows, but I am not going to sit here and say that I absolutely love the idea of an expansion team winning supposedly the hardest trophy to win in all of sports in their first year.

Not only win it, but make it look easy. They swept LA, beat SJ in 5, beat Winnipeg in 5.... I mean, Winnipeg was the consensus best team in the league this year and Vegas made them their bitch after game 1. It’s crazy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Now that's just hating basketball for the sake of it.  I have a number of friends and co-workers whom while they may not care for the same teams over and over again, they still find it riveting.  Also both the GSW and Cavs had to go to game 7's to get to the finals after both were down 3-2 in their series.  It wasn't a guarantee that they would make it to the finals.
Taking who the teams are out of the equation, weren't last year's SCF just as exciting as the 1 game this year?  I mean game 1 ended last year 5-3 where it was tied 3-3 with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the 3rd period.  So why the big difference? (we both know the answer to that).

I don’t hate basketball, I just don’t really understand why people find it more exciting than hockey. But to each their own.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Well, they’re never gonna like hockey no matter what then. Again, if that game didn’t resonate with a novice hockey viewer, then they they can go watch Warriors-Lebrons for the 45th time in a row, and they’ll deserve every 30-point Golden State blowout they get. Any casual sports fan who chooses basketball over hockey doesn’t deserve to be suitably entertained.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't watched 2 seconds of any NBA games for 6-7 years after watching pretty regularly my whole teen-adult life around hockey games.

 

But yep too each his own.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadDog2020 said:


I don’t hate basketball, I just don’t really understand why people find it more exciting than hockey. But to each their own.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care much for it either, but a lot of people still find it very riveting regardless of who is in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they could just start the games an hour earlier. That's all I ask. I have to get up early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I agree with that part as well.  The league and those GM's shot themselves in their feet.  The league reaps what it sows, but I am not going to sit here and say that I absolutely love the idea of an expansion team winning supposedly the hardest trophy to win in all of sports in their first year.

I agree. They were setup to roll out 4 solid lines along with an awesome goalie. Not many teams have that, let alone expansion teams. And if they win it this year, you know damn well it's going to go to their heads and you'll have "America's Team" 2.0 in the VGK for the foreseeable future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Don't you have some sh!tty SEL game to go to that few even care about?

You'll never get any respect with weak comebacks like that.

Edited by Marshall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is all about ratings and more ad dollars after all.  For the powers that be, how you get there may not matter so much.  The question is:  does league management want to grow the game by fostering respect from new fans or they do they just want to make money?  Or do they want to do both?  These two considerations may not be mutually exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marshall said:

You'll never get any respect with weak comebacks like that.

You and your country won't get any respect with your weak meatball game over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

You and your country won't get any respect with your weak meatball game over there.

In fairness, only Italy and Sweden have a strong meatball game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, only Italy and Sweden have a strong meatball game. 

Italy>Sweden in terms of meatballs.  All day, any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Italy>Sweden in terms of meatballs.  All day, any day.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, MadDog2020 said:

You know who it’s embarrassing for? Dale Tallon and Vinny Viola, Jarmo Kekalainen, Bob Murray, Chuck Fletcher, and Jim Rutherford. The league gave Vegas more favorable rules, but those six guys are the ones who are primarily responsible for Vegas having the team they have. GM’s will tread much more carefully when it’s Seattle’s turn.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding.   What was Bob Murray thinking handing a mid 30's guy like Bieska a NMC?   Without that, they can protect all of their defenseman except one.  If he had it to do over again, would he not have just done the Henrique for Vatanen deal last Summer if he had a protection slot of Theodore as well.    I expect there were a lot of hard lessons-learned in this first expansion draft that will not repeat for Seattle.   

Also, GMs who tried to use the expansion draft as a salary dump pretty much got bent over.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to lean heavy towards the Caps with the officiating so far.

Sure seems like things are working out nicely for Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.