GDT: Devils@Lightning, 4/12/18, 7:00pm, MSG+

mfitz804

It was the first playoff game for a lot of our guys, so after they shook off the jitters in the 1st period, I thought they played a pretty damn solid game. If you pull out the 1st period, that's a 2-2 hockey game in the 3rd period, we can skate with these guys. Win tomorrow and take a split back to Jersey, LGD.

• Like 2

at 3-0 this game could have gotten ugly, instead we fought back to make it 3-2, and have chances to tie, all in all I think it was a good, night, TB had something to prove last night, for the Devils it most important to get the playoff jitters out for so many 1st timers...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

After sleeping on it, I thought they played a pretty good game.  Kept the lightning on their toes after the first.  Good to get this one out of the way, shake off the jitters.  

Pretty much how I feel about it.

For some reason some fans insist on grading this team on the wrong curve, on a level that they haven't attained yet.  Sure, the Devils made some mistakes and at times it was rough (they also looked quite good at other times), but what did friggin' people expect?  For them to be fully poised and to pounce all over a 113-point team in their own arena?  To play a flawless game?  There's a learning process that comes with this, especially for a team full of guys who haven't been there.  If anything I was impressed with the fact that falling behind 3-0 didn't shake them...unfortunately a crucial mistake at the worst possible time gave the Lightning that extra spark at the end, but I loved the fight...and these Devils have had that all year.  They're a tough team to put away most nights...that could help them make up for the lack of experience. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty much how I feel about it.

For some reason some fans insist on grading this team on the wrong curve, on a level that they haven't attained yet.  Sure, the Devils made some mistakes and at times it was rough (they also looked quite good at other times), but what did friggin' people expect?  For them to be fully poised and to pounce all over a 113-point team in their own arena?  To play a flawless game?  There's a learning process that comes with this, especially for a team full of guys who haven't been there.  If anything I was impressed with the fact that falling behind 3-0 didn't shake them...unfortunately a crucial mistake at the worst possible time gave the Lightning that extra spark at the end, but I loved the fight...and these Devils have had that all year.  They're a tough team to put away most nights...that could help them make up for the lack of experience. 

Exactly it.  We're down 3-0, 10 years ago I would have given up on the game.  These guys have some fight in them and you can't discount them when they're down.  Hopefully Saturday (although we usually don't perform well in matinees) they come out with a fire under their ass

• Like 1

Still find myself pretty annoyed with Wood this morning.

Just don't know what he was thinking at the start of the 2nd with that slash. 

Not scratch worthy I guess, but man if I were Hynes he would've heard about it on the bench.

Edited by Devilsfan118

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not scratch worthy I guess, but man if I were Hynes he would've heard about it on the bench.

It's not like he was the only one with a mental lapse. Although I took sh!t for saying they weren't mentally prepared yesterday, I'm going to say it again today anyway. They were nervous and they were not prepared mentally. They didn't settle in until halfway though the game and there were some stupid mistakes after that too. They'll be a lot better in game two. I'm sure of it. I'll be surprised as hell if we see the exact same lineup though. Muller, Lovejoy, Moore, Maroon all had visibility bad games. Usual suspects, like Grabner,  were just missing in action. 

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Hynes did bench Wood for much of the second period. 

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's not like he was the only one with a mental lapse. Although I took sh!t for saying they weren't mentally prepared yesterday, I'm going to say it again today anyway. They were nervous and they were not prepared mentally. They didn't settle in until halfway though the game and there were some stupid mistakes after that too. They'll be a lot better in game two. I'm sure of it. I'll be surprised as hell if we see the exact same lineup though. Muller, Lovejoy, Moore, Maroon all had visibility bad games. Usual suspects, like Grabner,  were just missing in action. 

Again, why are you holding them to a higher standard than they've earned?  This is not a veteran team, so stop grading them like they are one...how exactly are kids supposed to be "mentally prepared" for something they've never experienced before?  That's just fanspeak.  Yeah, sometimes young players in unfamiliar territory will need some time to settle in.  And you've watched this team all year...you already know that it has some flaws, and sometimes those flaws rear their ugly heads.  Fortunately the Devils play with more than enough heart and fight that they can often compensate for their shortcomings (also helps that they can score).

I do agree that I think this Game 1 was an important step, in that the "Playoff Mystique" is over...Hall, Nico, Wood, Severson, KK, and the rest of the newbies have now played in a playoff game.  It was tough sledding initially but they were right there well into the third period.  There's things that they can build on...this wasn't any 7-0 Flyer-style drubbing.  They may not win Game 2, but I think it will be a more consistent effort. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Again, why are you holding them to a higher standard than they've earned?  This is not a veteran team, so stop grading them like they are one...how exactly are kids supposed to be "mentally prepared" for something they've never experienced before?  That's just fanspeak.  Yeah, sometimes young players in unfamiliar territory will need some time to settle in.  And you've watched this team all year...you already know that it has some flaws, and sometimes those flaws rear their ugly heads.  Fortunately the Devils play with more than enough heart and fight that they can often compensate for their shortcomings (also helps that they can score).

I do agree that I think this Game 1 was an important step, in that the "Playoff Mystique" is over...Hall, Nico, Wood, Severson, KK, and the rest of the newbies have now played in a playoff game.  It was tough sledding initially but they were right there well into the third period.  There's things that they can build on...this wasn't any 7-0 Flyer-style drubbing.  They may not win Game 2, but I think it will be a more consistent effort. 

Severson didn’t play. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Severson didn’t play. 

Yeah, drrrr oh me.  But the general point remains the same.

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How is it a higher standard to ask them to come ready to play? Keeping someone from scoring 5ft from your net is the same in the playoffs as it is in the regular season. I am not even saying they didn't man up and find their game in the second half, but how can you say that first half was the norm for thee guys? 

You're selling them way short. Simply put, I am sure they could have done better than giving Tampa 3 goals on a silver platter. I don't think that is what we have come to expect from thes guys or what we can continue to expect. I'm willing to bet that they would agree they handed Tampa those easy goals last night. It isn't like they got outplayed by Tampa. They shot themselves in the foot early on. You're making excuses for them.

Just my 2 cents.  The Devils can skate with them.  They shut down their top line. Unfortunately Tampa has two good lines,  If the Devils can squeak out game 2 then they have the last change at home which should help out a lot.

Let's Go Devils!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

How is it a higher standard to ask them to come ready to play? Keeping someone from scoring 5ft from your net is the same in the playoffs as it is in the regular season. I am not even saying they didn't man up and find their game in the second half, but how can you say that first half was the norm for thee guys? 

You're selling them way short. Simply put, I am sure they could have done better than giving Tampa 3 goals on a silver platter. I don't think that is what we have come to expect from thes guys or what we can continue to expect. I'm willing to bet that they would agree they handed Tampa those easy goals last night. It isn't like they got outplayed by Tampa. They shot themselves in the foot early on. You're making excuses for them.

Even in the regular season, you've seen them have tough starts to games, or struggle to hang on, some of which they got outshot by a lot early on or late, or were simply outplayed...it's not like this is something all that unfamiliar.  A lot of times they've battled through those kinds of stretches within games to find a way to win.  This time they couldn't quite overcome it. 

The problem is that sometimes people assume that getting off to a tough start automatically equates to not coming ready to play.  Sometimes you get outplayed just enough, especially against a very good and talented team like Tampa Bay.  They're good enough to just beat you sometimes...it doesn't have to be an indictment on how mentally prepared the Devils were, or how ready they were to play.   

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Even in the regular season, you've seen them have tough starts to games, or struggle to hang on, some of which they got outshot by a lot early on or late, or were simply outplayed...it's not like this is something all that unfamiliar.  A lot of times they've battled through those kinds of stretches within games to find a way to win.  This time they couldn't quite overcome it. 

The problem is that sometimes people assume that getting off to a tough start automatically equates to not coming ready to play.  Sometimes you get outplayed just enough, especially against a very good and talented team like Tampa Bay.  They're good enough to just beat you sometimes...it doesn't have to be an indictment on how mentally prepared the Devils were, or how ready they were to play.   

I wasn't the only person here last night thinking they didn't have a great game, but it seems like you really just don't agree specifically with the "not ready to play part" of what I am saying. I know you wouldn't say they had a great first half of the game going down 3-0.  

Fair point in the first half of that, but when they did struggle early on in games during the regular season I don't think any of us thought it was acceptable. They didn't show up ready to play and we expected them to come out the next period and play better. 

As far as the second part, yea Tampa is good. I'm not arguing that. I said the Devils didn't get outplayed, and so did others here. The lapses in coverage around their own net was so bad any average player might have scored on them, let alone a super talented Tampa team with tons of depth. That is why the slot, and more specifically the low slot, is so important to keep clear or keep your check. They didn't get the basics done in the first period. They were only outplayed by themselves because they weren't ready to play.

Goal1: Palat all alone in front. Hall had to drop down to try and stop him. He should be on his ass, not skating though the slot with the only NJD player trying to mark him on the wrong side between him and the net.

Goal2: Tyler Johnson waiting in the low slot. Again, no one around and Hall has to try to desperately drop down to try to stop him. 

Goal3: Lame penalty by Wood. Gourde puts the puck in an open net while 2 Devils are too slow to react. Moore should have been up in his face.(this one isn't as egregious as the first two) 

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree CR. ^_^

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wasn't the only person here last night thinking they didn't have a great game, but it seems like you really just don't agree specifically with the "not ready to play part" of what I am saying. I know you wouldn't say they had a great first half of the game going down 3-0.  

Fair point in the first half of that, but when they did struggle early on in games during the regular season I don't think any of us thought it was acceptable. They didn't show up ready to play and we expected them to come out the next period and play better. 

As far as the second part, yea Tampa is good. I'm not arguing that. I said the Devils didn't get outplayed, and so did others here. The lapses in coverage around their own net was so bad any average player might have scored on them, let alone a super talented Tampa team with tons of depth. That is why the slot, and more specifically the low slot, is so important to keep clear or keep your check. They didn't get the basics done in the first period. They were only outplayed by themselves because they weren't ready to play.

Goal1: Palat all alone in front. Hall had to drop down to try and stop him. He should be on his ass, not skating though the slot with the only NJD player trying to mark him on the wrong side between him and the net.

Goal2: Tyler Johnson waiting in the low slot. Again, no one around and Hall has to try to desperately drop down to try to stop him. 

Goal3: Lame penalty by Wood. Gourde puts the puck in an open net while 2 Devils are too slow to react. Moore should have been up in his face.(this one isn't as egregious as the first two) 

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree CR. ^_^

I'll just leave it at that I could understand this general reaction better if this team had a lot more experience, wasn't far removed from some deep playoff runs, and was expected to be a true Cup contender...I think that's when you can raise the bar on criticisms (if I'm a Caps fan, I'm plenty chapped today).

I still think that "bad starts = not ready to play" is too simplistic of a point to make.  No team is ever going to come out flying or 100% on its game all of the time.  Like I said, if you feel that was the case yesterday, I can understand giving the Devils more grief for that if they'd been here before.  But many of them haven't. 

Overall I'd say the Devils did stay with them and I remain encouraged by much of what I saw, but were beaten just enough.  Maroon's play was a such a killer...the Devils were having a tough time in the third but it still truly felt like there was a chance up until then.     

• Like 1

Those players were alone in front but the passes were ostensibly being covered by Nico and Lovejoy both times, they just both were caught a little out of position relative to the other and the passes made it through.  I don't think of either one as a hugely blown coverage, and certainly not an indication of unreadiness.

Only saw the final 7 minutes of the game and even then I was barely paying attention. Saw the highlights and read a page or two here....

Gathering Mueller [highlights] and Lovejoy [reading] had a brutal game.

Saw the Wood penalty and wondered why he took such a lazy penalty.

I don't blame KK for any of the goals, the 2nd (?) it was oure sh!t luck it went through his legs, through the crease and onto the tape, and the 4th was an absolute brutal screen.

Oh well, clean the wounds, ice the bruises, get pumped for tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I have a surround system and it was driving me crazy, I lowered the volume quite a bit so I didn't have to hear that. By far one of the worst giveaways ever. fvck those things. 

If they have them tomorrow I will be so drunk by the time I enter the stadium, I will take them all off the seats and throw them right in the garbage.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think we were lucky to get out of the 1st 3-0, it could easily have been 5-0. 

Still an a$$ kicking in my opinion. 

It was 2-0 at the first intermission. It might have finished 5-0, but, the game I saw did not. Considering the e-n goal, your idea of an a$$ whipping hardly compares with the Pens Flyers 7-0 destruction. Maybe you have a particularly sensitive gluteus maximus. I thought we played competitively, with some glaring errors. What you can expect from a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a while. Correctable errors, IMO. I look forward to Saturday.