GDT: Devils@Lightning, 4/12/18, 7:00pm, MSG+

mfitz804

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wasn't the only person here last night thinking they didn't have a great game, but it seems like you really just don't agree specifically with the "not ready to play part" of what I am saying. I know you wouldn't say they had a great first half of the game going down 3-0.  

Fair point in the first half of that, but when they did struggle early on in games during the regular season I don't think any of us thought it was acceptable. They didn't show up ready to play and we expected them to come out the next period and play better. 

As far as the second part, yea Tampa is good. I'm not arguing that. I said the Devils didn't get outplayed, and so did others here. The lapses in coverage around their own net was so bad any average player might have scored on them, let alone a super talented Tampa team with tons of depth. That is why the slot, and more specifically the low slot, is so important to keep clear or keep your check. They didn't get the basics done in the first period. They were only outplayed by themselves because they weren't ready to play.

Goal1: Palat all alone in front. Hall had to drop down to try and stop him. He should be on his ass, not skating though the slot with the only NJD player trying to mark him on the wrong side between him and the net.

Goal2: Tyler Johnson waiting in the low slot. Again, no one around and Hall has to try to desperately drop down to try to stop him. 

Goal3: Lame penalty by Wood. Gourde puts the puck in an open net while 2 Devils are too slow to react. Moore should have been up in his face.(this one isn't as egregious as the first two) 

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree CR. ^_^

Are you and I the only ones to fault Hall for those two low slot goals?

re: the first two goals - hynes correctly points out on both that really - it's Nico being too quick on his help defense on the wall and leaving the slot which is his responsibility to defend against the pass that made its way there.

its correctable. 

let's get the split tomorrow and come home ready to go.