GDT: Game 2 - Devils at Lightning - 14 April @ 3pm Eastern

jagknife

I can't believe people are complaining. This is a young team that we watched mature as this game went on. It looked bad, but you could see things clicking as the third went on. This core is going to be special for us and this is their first big learning experience in a playoff setting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Wait,  people are upset over this effort? Devils had 45 shots and Schneider didn't give up a goal in half a game.  You're not in trouble until you lose a home game. There's just no margin for error

This team seems to play better when the pressure is really on. They have made it really difficult for themselves now. 

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Not for nothing, but I'm actually kind of confident in Schneider based on what I saw from him, should we start him over KK in Game 3

Such a tough choice. I don’t envy Hynes having to make the decision. 

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

I'm going Cory.

Its not an indictment of KK, but they stepped up when CS was in net.

Also not thrilled about 9 goals over 1.5 games, BUT not saying any nor all of them are his fault.

He definitely went down too early on the first one but it was a perfect shot. He was certainly not bad, but he also isn’t stealing games like he was down the stretch. Cory looking sharp makes it a tough choice. 

You cry when they don't make the playoffs.... You cry when they do.... 5-3 wasn't a blow out by any means. I'm happy they made the playoffs and if they win a series all the better. I LMAO at those that said....well we owned them in the reg season,you see how that's worked out so far. Proud of this team no matter what and not once did I think they had a shot at winning the cup this year.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Live and die with this team for all this time and this is the effort we get. Get swept and that's fine as long as we get a fvcking effort. We're not getting anything.

This is patently untrue, did we even watch the same game? We lost because of bad mistakes and penalties, effort is not the issue. Be real.

RECAP

• The Devils were the better team
    • Play like that again on Monday, and they should win.
  • Difference in the game was goaltending where oddly enough Kinkaid was not really at fault for any of the goals he allowed.
    • Vasilevskiy was actually very good.
    • Making the big save is extremely important, and Kinkaid did not do that despite the fact none of the goals against were his fault.
  • Tampa didn't have the puck much this game, but they executed their plays very well.
  • This game also shows the importance of simply getting the puck back rather than trying to keep the puck to the outside.
    • The middle of the ice ISN'T the most important ice.
    • The entire 200 by 85 sheet of ice IS the more important ice.
    • Hynes needs to learn this if he wants to have any sustained success in this league.
  • Hynes also needs to be more aggressive with pulling the goalie in the playoffs.
    • If there's less than 4 minutes to go, and you're down by 2 with an offensive zone face-off, the goalie needs to be out.
  • Face-offs are killing this team.

GOALS AGAINST RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Missed defensive assignment
    • Great shot by Point
    • Stoppable
    • Overall it wasn't Kinkaid's fault
  • Goal 2
    • Great pass and great tip by Killorn.
    • Stoppable
    • Not Kinkaid's fault
  • Goal 3
    • Nice deflection by Johnson
    • Stoppable
    • Difficult save, but probably should have been stopped.
  • Goal 4
    • Terrible break
    • Nothing Kinkaid could do
    • Kinkaid is completely absolved.
  • Goal 5
    • Another tough break
    • Again, nothing Kinkaid could do

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 55 to 48
  • ES FF: 47 to 37
  • ES SF: 38 to 22
  • ES SCF: 31 to 28
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 8
  • All CF: 64 to 55
  • All FF: 54 to 44
  • All SF: 44 to 26
  • All SCF: 35 to 34
  • All HDCF: 9 to 10

SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 43.77 to 47.57
  • FF: 37 to 36.77
  • SF: 29.5 to 21.03
  • SCF: 24.32 to 28.52
  • HDCF: 5.14 to 8.06
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

This is patently untrue, did we even watch the same game? We lost because of bad mistakes and penalties, effort is not the issue. Be real.

No NHL team is bad enough to allow 10 goals over two games and be excused. Not Arizona, not Buffalo, not Vancouver. This league is about more than mobilizing what you have than any other. These score lines are unacceptable. 

Not happy about losing the game. I hated the stupid penalties and the bad zone clearing attempts. Though they seemed more comfortable playing playoff hockey this game.  I liked they were finally getting the body on Lightning defensemen.

All I can say now is: Let's Go Devils!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

No NHL team is bad enough to allow 10 goals over two games and be excused. Not Arizona, not Buffalo, not Vancouver. This league is about more than mobilizing what you have than any other. These score lines are unacceptable. 

Unacceptable? Yeesh. I'll never understand how people overreact to this stuff so much. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rock said:

Not happy about losing the game. I hated the stupid penalties and the bad zone clearing attempts. Though they seemed more comfortable playing playoff hockey this game.  I liked they were finally getting the body on Lightning defensemen.

All I can say now is: Let's Go Devils!

Except for McDonough, their d-men are their weak link.  A heavy forecheck could lead to some better chances in game 3.

21 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Wait,  people are upset over this effort? Devils had 45 shots and Schneider didn't give up a goal in half a game.  You're not in trouble until you lose a home game. There's just no margin for error

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I can't believe people are complaining. This is a young team that we watched mature as this game went on. It looked bad, but you could see things clicking as the third went on. This core is going to be special for us and this is their first big learning experience in a playoff setting. 

I mean it really is only one that I see. Everyone else seems pretty level headed lol

• Like 3

Over the two games it's been one period in each game where the damage has been done. The rest of the time the team has played ok but not really clicked but I can't fault the effort. Still two home games coming up which could make a massive difference. It certainly isn't game over yet and whatever happens I hope the team sticks together and keeps their Devild vs everybody attitude.

9 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah.. You're right. I think it was so many posts that it seemed like more than one or two people. 

I mean I personally am off the deep end over Greene, but the rest of the team is fine by me. fvck I love the fact we made it a hockey game.

• Like 1