GDT: Game 2 - Devils at Lightning - 14 April @ 3pm Eastern

jagknife

I missed most of this game, i.e., the last two periods, but these comments .... sheeesh. Looks like we have some trolls here as well.

Fact 1: Devils were expected to be 31st, they beat the odds and made it to the playoffs.

Fact 2: Tampa Bay Lightning is a Stanley Cup Contender

Its not the regular season, its the playoffs, dont think we played better, its just that TBL had a 4 goal lead and they were most likely protecting it so we felt as if we had a chance. Every single time TBL picked it up a notch we were pinned and followed up with a feeble response.

I would like to see the following Hynes scratch guys who are not playing, veterans included, he needs to ice the best team, not the team with the most emotional value and he needs to learn quick. If Burns can bench Dano, who was one of the hardest stay at home D man, then Hynes can bench Boyle who has no history with the Devils.

I don't think the Devils played that badly, just all the mistakes they made ended up in the net.  They were getting chances with the score tied but they couldn't break through and then Tampa gets 2 quick goals and a total fluke one as well.  Agree with sundstrom that Palmieri going for an unnecessary hit was quite frustrating on goal 2? - I don't know why he didn't switch off to the guy with the puck and at least try to make his life difficult.  This wasn't stuff they were doing during the regular season and it's irritating to see them play that sort of hockey, I get that it's 7 games and you're trying to wear people down but that can't be the primary goal.

I'd go back to Kinkaid for Game 3 and I don't even think it's much of a decision, Cory played decent but I don't think he looks particularly comfortable in net.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Are your serious.. get some dam context son, the bolts were up 5 to fricken 1 lmao.. shove your metrics dude it means nothing with a 4 goal lead.. yeah we were better down 5 to 1 zzzzzzzzz 

We simply can give up 4 goals early and win!  sorry boy  Doesnt mean im not proud of the boy , they have heart!!!

yeah disagree completely that the Devils were the better team.  To me the numbers go out the window when the game was basically already decided. 

They're still playing with house money but it would be great to see a 60 min effort from top to bottom.

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yeah disagree completely that the Devils were the better team.  To me the numbers go out the window when the game was basically already decided. 

They're still playing with house money but it would be great to see a 60 min effort from top to bottom.

Exactly. They have yet to do this in either game. If they play like they did in the 1st and 3rd for a full 60 minutes they can make a series out of it. 

Glass was half full for me after Game 1, but this game was more of the same and at some point the glass becomes half empty. I don't think it has to do with effort - if anything they try too hard and deviate from their structure. Nico's mistakes on the first goals in Game 1 are an example of what I mean. 

They don't execute on their breakouts, the transition game is garbage and Tampa are winning the inside position in the slot area. It has less to do with grit and brawn than being able to tie up sticks and getting body position. That's 3 of the goals against last night. 

Piling on Andy Greene has been a season long thing for many people, I've avoided it because there's just no good alternative for the top pairing, but he's been terrible in this series (along with several other d-men). If anything, this series so far has highlighted what Shero needs to address in the coming year (not that he shouldn't have known prior to the series). 

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

CS might just get his job back. Maybe he'll be like he was when the season started.  I think Hynes will go with CS. I'm also wondering if inserting Bratt might help. 

I think Ray needs to sign Maroon too.

Maybe Hynes has to be bold here.  He should know from what he saw what changes need to be made, personnel and game plan wise.

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

Glass was half full for me after Game 1, but this game was more of the same and at some point the glass becomes half empty. I don't think it has to do with effort - if anything they try too hard and deviate from their structure. Nico's mistakes on the first goals in Game 1 are an example of what I mean. 

They don't execute on their breakouts, the transition game is garbage and Tampa are winning the inside position in the slot area. It has less to do with grit and brawn than being able to tie up sticks and getting body position. That's 3 of the goals against last night. 

Piling on Andy Greene has been a season long thing for many people, I've avoided it because there's just no good alternative for the top pairing, but he's been terrible in this series (along with several other d-men). If anything, this series so far has highlighted what Shero needs to address in the coming year (not that he shouldn't have known prior to the series). 

That about summarizes it for me.  And we could be ANA and lost the first two games at home!  The Rock should be very friendly, and we should be able to get the matchups we want.

Yeah, the D is totally getting exposed here. If there's a silver lining to this probable playoff loss it's that it's getting embarrased in big games. Not sure Shero knew/knows how far away this group is being from being legit contenders and how much the blueline is holding them back. Honestly, there isn't one top pair caliber guy. Vatanen, Severson and Butcher are second pair guys. Greene, Moore and Mueller are third pair caliber and Lovejoy is a 7D. Compare that to TB where they have three top pair guys. I dont think Carlson is as good as the contract he'll get but I'm slowly coming around to the idea of him. 

15 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Difference in the game was goaltending where oddly enough Kinkaid was not really at fault for any of the goals he allowed.

• Making the big save is extremely important, and Kinkaid did not do that despite the fact none of the goals against were his fault.

I know picking on MB is a forum hobby, and i’m Not trying to pile on, but this is a ridiculous statement. You can’t say the difference was goaltending and then say Kinkaid wasn’t at fault for any of the goals. If that’s the case, goaltending wasn’t the issue, whoever was at fault for the goals was. 

Defense was the issue, in my estimation. 

Like it was mentioned before, the biggest issue to me was that we couldn't get control of the puck in our zone, breaking out and transitioning to the attack. It was absolutely atrocious to watch and insanely frustrating. That was mostly due to Tampa putting lots of pressure on our players constantly. Players were nervous handling the puck and couldn't make good decisions so we'd lose possession or just throw the puck away in the neutral zone. 

I don't know how many times our Dman would be near the trapezoid. Sending the puck around the board to a winger standing still along the board facing the back with a Tampa player on him or coming hard. And the centre was not square to the player so the winger had no options to breakout at all.

When I was coaching either hockey or soccer, I'd tell the players that one the most important thing when you're playing is that when a puck/ball is coming your way, you need to know what to do with it already. You can't just accept the pass, control the puck, then look up and assess the situation. Knowing what to do next already will guide your body position, how to receive the pass etc etc and you gain a few extra steps on the incoming player. Same with players around the player getting the pass, you have to read the play and put yourself in position to give an option to buddy about to get the pass.

That's incredibly basic and i know NHL players knows that damn well but last night it's like it was all forgotten. Our guys had no idea what to do once they got the puck other than dumping it in the neutral zone.... or pass it directly to a Tampa player. Also the amount of time a player would be getting a bad pass in the neutral zone and had to STOP to control the puck. Would kill the transition every time.

I assume this is also due to the fact that we're really inexperience in the playoffs and the boys were not ready to how fast your decision making has to be compared to the regular season. Tampa were super sharp with their breakouts and passing it was also frustrating to see them breaking out freely after seeing us failing every single time.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

This team needs to rid of Lovejoy and Moore in the off-season. Time to toughen up. Maybe Corey can provide a spark for this team, I mean he's being fkin paid to so why not.

Well for starters he hasn't won in how many months. KK somehow got them here by elevating his play drastically, imo he gives us the best odds to win a game. The  bottom four D lower those odds significantly when they step on the ice.

29 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

This team needs to rid of Lovejoy and Moore in the off-season. Time to toughen up. Maybe Corey can provide a spark for this team, I mean he's being fkin paid to so why not.

If we force Greene to retire, I'm okay keeping Lovejoy as a 6/7th dman.

Moore, on the other hand, has wilted down the stretch, just like his partner Severson did.

I find myself wondering if our D is actually playing as poorly as it seems, or if Tampa's group is just so exceptionally good that they're giving them fits.

I mean, our bottom-4 isn't very good, no doubt, but they weren't this bad all year.

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We gave up 5 in the first game, so we thought we needed more defense?

;)

too late to make roster moves :)  he could throw them all in the lineup and it doesn't bring more defense.  It is what it is and it's not pretty after the top pair.  But I'm sure nobody understands that more than Shero.  I would expect some new blood next season and a couple of these guys hopefully put out to pasture. Although the only two not under contract are Santini and Moore.