Steven M.

GAME 3: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, CNBC, MSG+

Alright everyone. Haven't started a (meaningful) game thread since round one versus Florida in 2012. Giving it a shot here since we have yet to have any luck.

Finally we all get to enjoy a playoff game at the ROCK. For some of you it might be the first game since the Stanley Cup Final or rangers series. For myself, it's the first since watching a 44 save 1-0 shutout by Marty in Game 5 of the 2009 playoffs (oddly that series was best of 5 so that was the last game of the series too). I did get to go to Games 1, 2, and 5 in Florida in 2012, but it's been nearly a decade since I was at the Rock for a playoff game. I am so friggin' ready to be going nuts with all the other STH's we have been celebrating with in my section all year long, we really do have a fun bunch around me that has made the games even more enjoyable.

We're down 2-0 but have seemingly improved with every passing period. Nico, Hall, and Coleman all got their first career playoff goals. The lineup will be changed. Possible MoJo sighting for the first time since January. We may have a different goaltender in if Cory gets the nod. We also may be able to see Joey Anderson's first career NHL game. The Devils will have last change and be able to try to match the Hall line away from the Palat line.  Regardless, the place is going to be going insane and it's gonna be a ton of fun. Just get this one win and we're right back in this damn thing. You're not in trouble til you've lost at home, right... ?

According to an email I received, there is a planned Fan Fest in Championship Plaza at 5PM. However, looking at the weather I am not certain it will happen. Thinking it might be a good day to try to run to Hobby's for a nice pregame meal.

Sitting here at work waiting for 530AM to come so I can go home and rest up for this one. We're down but not out... Keeping the faith that this awesome team has some more fond memories to make for all of us. Let's go Devils!

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 1

This team didn't have too much pressure on them coming into the playoffs because we all felt they overachieved to get to this point, and I certainly don't want to put any more pressure on them right now, but I think we can all agree that this is essentially a must-win game.  They should still treat it as one game at a time if possible, but we all know, and I think the Lightning themselves know, that if we lose tonight, they'll probably wrap it up on Wednesday and give themselves some rest and extra days off.  Hoping that doesn't happen. 

Indeed we've been playing decent, but I'm not sure I agree that we have been getting better each period.  Just too inconsistent and too many mistakes.  Bad penalties, some turnovers and untimely giveaways, etc.  Kinkaid hasn't been amazing, but hard to really fault him for some of the guys so far - some redirections and 2 on 1's, not to mention the bad turnovers leading to some pretty prime scoring chances for the other team which they were able to capitalize on.  I think it's fine that they pulled him last game - no reason to let him keep getting shelled and ruin his confidence, and I wouldn't even be too upset, mad, or surprised if Cory started tonight, but I think Kinkaid deserves a chance to rebound.  

We need this team to be hungry but also composed tonight.  I think and hope playing at home will calm them down a little bit and let them play their own game a bit better, and I think it'll also give them an energy boost and showcase that speed that we've seen most of the season. I look for guys like Wood, Noesen, and Palmieri to have stronger games today.

Let's stay out of the box tonight, play a smart game, get a win on home ice, and make this a series.  Our fans deserve it.  

I hope anyone going tonight has a great time, regardless of the outcome.  Enjoy it fellas.

• Like 1

Will be there tonight and Wednesday.  Hope Wednesday isn't a potential elimination game.  I've been to four elimination games (two against the Canes, one against the Rangers, and one against the Sens) and they all sucked.  Please, not again (though even if the Devils get swept, I'll consider this season a success).

LGD!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Will be there tonight and Wednesday.  Hope Wednesday isn't a potential elimination game.  I've been to four elimination games (two against the Canes, one against the Rangers, and one against the Sens) and they all sucked.  Please, not again (though even if the Devils get swept, I'll consider this season a success).

LGD!

I've had the wonderful pleasure of attending 5 separate elimination games. They're nightmarish. 

Please for the love of god win Devils.  I want to take this to at least 6 games.  Let's put up a good fight.

187 - 6 Devils.

• Like 3

hopefully we can pick up from where we left off  game 2. 

Also NO. MORE. DUMB. PENALTIES. guys. NO. MORE. they make us pay every single time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I've had the wonderful pleasure of attending 5 separate elimination games. They're nightmarish. 

We know which one was the hardest "kick to the balls" game.  I won't even say which one.  I don't even allow myself to think about it.  

7 hours ago, Steven M. said:

Alright everyone. Haven't started a (meaningful) game thread since round one versus Florida in 2012. Giving it a shot here since we have yet to have any luck.

Finally we all get to enjoy a playoff game at the ROCK. For some of you it might be the first game since the Stanley Cup Final or rangers series. For myself, it's the first since watching a 44 save 1-0 shutout by Marty in Game 5 of the 2009 playoffs (oddly that series was best of 5 so that was the last game of the series too). I did get to go to Games 1, 2, and 5 in Florida in 2012, but it's been nearly a decade since I was at the Rock for a playoff game. I am so friggin' ready to be going nuts with all the other STH's we have been celebrating with in my section all year long, we really do have a fun bunch around me that has made the games even more enjoyable.

We're down 2-0 but have seemingly improved with every passing period. Nico, Hall, and Coleman all got their first career playoff goals. The lineup will be changed. Possible MoJo sighting for the first time since January. We may have a different goaltender in if Cory gets the nod. We also may be able to see Joey Anderson's first career NHL game. The Devils will have last change and be able to try to match the Hall line away from the Palat line.  Regardless, the place is going to be going insane and it's gonna be a ton of fun. Just get this one win and we're right back in this damn thing. You're not in trouble til you've lost at home, right... ?

According to an email I received, there is a planned Fan Fest in Championship Plaza at 5PM. However, looking at the weather I am not certain it will happen. Thinking it might be a good day to try to run to Hobby's for a nice pregame meal.

Sitting here at work waiting for 530AM to come so I can go home and rest up for this one. We're down but not out... Keeping the faith that this awesome team has some more fond memories to make for all of us. Let's go Devils!

I count my blessings daily that I went to games 1, 2, and 7 in that Florida series and wasn't at game 5 for that horrible nightmare. I was there in 2009 for the Marty shutout as well, but I don't think I'll ever be able to look at anything positive in that series after the most painful Game 7 memory of my entire life. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

hopefully we can pick up from where we left off  game 2. 

Also NO. MORE. DUMB. PENALTIES. guys. NO. MORE. they make us pay every single time

I hope so too, but part of all of this is the learning experience.  These games are showing why the Devils might have been good enough to make the playoffs, but aren't ready to tangle with the big boys in a seven-game series.

That being said, I love surprises.  I would love love LOVE to be driving home from Game 4 yelling "HOLY sh!t THEY TIED THING UP!  HOW?!"  They ain't dead yet. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We know which one was the hardest "kick to the balls" game.  I won't even say which one.  I don't even allow myself to think about it.  

Obviously I don't think anything will ever beat 2009 Carolina for me. I really don't. But Lundqvist's victory lap around the Prudential Center is pretty fvcking close.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Obviously I don't think anything will ever beat 2009 Carolina for me. I really don't. But Lundqvist's victory lap around the Prudential Center is pretty fvcking close.

Agreed.  It's one thing to lose 4-1 or something like that, where you know you're done.  It's another to be close to a series win, then worry about OT, then lose the game...in what felt like seconds.  Horrible horrible feeling. 

And yeah, Lundqvist was a very close second. 

10 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

2001 SCF Game 6 is always going to be the worst for me for games I have attended in person.  It was like walking out of a funeral after that game with the mood in the crowd.  We all knew what was coming in game 7.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Angry 1

7 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed.  It's one thing to lose 4-1 or something like that, where you know you're done.  It's another to be close to a series win, then worry about OT, then lose the game...in what felt like seconds.  Horrible horrible feeling. 

And yeah, Lundqvist was a very close second. 

To me losing game 7 in 2001 and the Matteau OT goal was so much worst, soooo much worst than losing to the rangers that year.

• Angry 1

Enough talk about losing!  Let's go Devils win this one tonight!

I am excited for this team.  My coworker is a caps fan who hopes they get swept so they hopefully make changes next year.  I much happier being a Devils fan for many many reasons!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

To me losing game 7 in 2001 and the Matteau OT goal was so much worst, soooo much worst than losing to the rangers that year.

MITB and I are talking more about elimination games that we've actually been to.  But yeah the ones you posted were obviously very hard too.   

Per Stein, Cory in starter's net, Mojo on a line with Zacha and Maroon.

Edited by Derlique
  • Like 1

Ok can we not discuss the most heartbreaking losses in franchise history here in the GDT for the first home playoff game in six years? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Just now, Derlique said:

Per Stein, Cory in starter's net, Mojo on a line with Zacha and Maroon.

So nuts that Mojo is finally getting in. I hope he shakes the cob webs off early. It's like 0-100 to not play a game since January and then come into the third game of a playoff series.

I'll be there tonight and I'm fvcking hyped. LGD!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, mikemarc1 said:

Looks like Grabner s scratch too. Stafford in his spot 

Grabner totally deserves the press box, but why not Bratt instead of Stafford?

• Like 2