GAME 3: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, CNBC, MSG+

Steven M.

I just think fines need to be re-examined. $5,000 for Hedman is .0625% of his salary. 
That would be like if I walked into work tomorrow, took a full swing at my coworkers nuts with a heavy object, and my boss said “just give me $70 bucks and we’ll call it even”. 
Mental image achieved. I'm thinking a meme and im thinking office space.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The Stamkos goal was stoppable, but man, to hold this Lightning team to 2 goals in the playoffs is damn impressive. I’ll glady eat crow and admit I wrote Cory off too soon. He is clearly still capable of being a top goalie in this league. 

I'm curious why you both think the Stamkos goal was so easy to stop.  It was on the PP, and that guy has one of the hardest shots in the league, especially from that spot.  I mean, he was basically in alone with time to shoot and pick his spot.  I suppose you could say Cory also had time to square up and stop it, but honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of guessing and who reacts quicker.  I don't fault Cory for that one really.  

8 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I just think fines need to be re-examined. $5,000 for Hedman is .0625% of his salary. 

That would be like if I walked into work tomorrow, took a full swing at my coworkers nuts with a heavy object, and my boss said “just give me $70 bucks and we’ll call it even”. 

Yup, there have totally been times that I'd gladly have paid .0625% of my annual salary to whack someone in the nuts with a hockey stick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm curious why you both think the Stamkos goal was so easy to stop.  It was on the PP, and that guy has one of the hardest shots in the league, especially from that spot.  I mean, he was basically in alone with time to shoot and pick his spot.  I suppose you could say Cory also had time to square up and stop it, but honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of guessing and who reacts quicker.  I don't fault Cory for that one really.  

I didn’t say easily stoppable, I said stoppable. Cory saw it and could of made a save. It would have probably been a highlight reel save, but it wasn’t a goal I’d say he had absolutely no chance on. But who cares, he played great, and he WON!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In general, pretty much all of the aspects of the game have been covered, so I don't have much to add on that front...as we continue to see, Hall has found another level.  I've never seen a Devils forward EVER take over a game the way he can, and that's not to insult some of the terrific ones the Devils have had through the years.  People in my section (210) were genuinely blown away by his game last night, and that sums up how I often feel watching him play.  And of course, on top of everything else, the guy now finishes, all of the time.  I just hope he can keep being this kind of player for the next several years, because he's an absolute treat to watch. 

All I can say about the crowd is that it's changing for the better.  Last night was fvcking incredible.  We're obviously not known for being loud, and at times just getting a "Let's Go Devils!" chant going seems to be damned near impossible.  But last night felt every bit like everything you could possibly ask for from a home crowd.  Place was electric and then some.  So many red jerseys in the stands that I almost felt bad for wearing my white Elias night Zajac.  Can't speak for other sections, but in mine it felt like we were all on the same page...high-fiving with strangers, everyone nervous when it was time to be nervous, thrilled when the thrills came...it was just awesome in every possible way.  What's fun is that this is one year where the entitlement, for the moment, is gone...once you start making the playoffs year after year, people can start to take the earlier rounds for granted in a hurry ("Meh, it's only the first round, I'll save up for the next one, or the ECF").  Right now you really get a great sense that EVERYONE is just so jacked and so damned HAPPY to be watching playoff hockey again.  It's a beautiful beautiful thing.  My only minor complaint is that the crowd tended to go a little quiet at 1-0 and 2-1 Tampa...I say show that being down by one won't knock us down...keep the energy going. 

Something else that I loved...I got to the area around 4:50 or so, but had about 40 mins or so before my three friends were due to show up, so I checked out the Biergarten, Edison Ale House, and Dinosaur Bar...all three were already packed.  And in the half hour that I waited for my buds after that, waves of red just kept showing up...already overcrowded bars were becoming even MORE overcrowded.  Finally, when the first two of my crew showed up, we squeezed into the Biergarten for a quick beer...two Tampa Bay fans walked in, and they were ABUSED...loud boos, AAAAAAASS-HOOOOOOOLE chant, you name it.  Two most unwelcome blue jerseys overwhelmed by a smothering sea of red....I fvcking LOVED it, every second.  Know what else I loved?  Not one fight, not one shove, no violence whatsoever.  Wow, you mean we can actually have some back-and-forth banter without it turning into a fvcking melee?  Good luck with that in Philadelphia or New York.  And EVERY Tampa fan that dared to walk down Edison Street or into one of the bars got the same treatment. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been to a sh!tload of Devils regular season and playoff games through the years, and last night was the first night that I didn't feel like our fanbase was timid, passive, or too quiet.  I think if the Devils ever face the Rangers in playoff series in the near future, those fvcking dipsh!t Ranger fans won't know what hit them.  They'll come in expecting to take over the building, which they were (sadly) pretty easily able to do in the past.  Not anymore.  This fanbase is changing, in the best way possible.  Love it love it fvcking LOVE IT.

This is amazing to hear. And I truly feel like this is the result of an amazing job from Shero and the new ownership. By actually trying to please the fans, it's great to have a good team but the crowd can be such an important asset to a franchise. Obviously, we don't need to mention how it was before and who was responsible, we all know it and there's not much to add. But it's great that deep down we all knew it could be better and that it would be best for everyone involved and we're seeing it now. That's how you build a fanbase too. I'm very excited for the future of the franchise, that's not to say i expect a cup in a near future but at least some success. 

It's also great that we didnt have to go through a decade of terrible hockey like some teams went through in order to regain our mojo either

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is amazing to hear. And I truly feel like this is the result of an amazing job from Shero and the new ownership. By actually trying to please the fans, it's great to have a good team but the crowd can be such an important asset to a franchise. Obviously, we don't need to mention how it was before and who was responsible, we all know it and there's not much to add. But it's great that deep down we all knew it could be better and that it would be best for everyone involved and we're seeing it now. That's how you build a fanbase too. I'm very excited for the future of the franchise, that's not to say i expect a cup in a near future but at least some success. 

It's also great that we didnt have to go through a decade of terrible hockey like some teams went through in order to regain our mojo either

We've been through it before, but it was clearly 100% time for a change.  As far as ownership goes, I do think VBK's heart was often in the right place, but he just didn't have deep enough pockets. 

Can't say enough about Shero, the guy came here with very little to work with, and I don't think anyone could've predicted that he'd have the Devils relevant as quickly as he has...he got some luck with nabbing a #1 overall pick, but he's obviously made some terrific moves.  Damn this season has been a blast.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In general, pretty much all of the aspects of the game have been covered, so I don't have much to add on that front...as we continue to see, Hall has found another level.  I've never seen a Devils forward EVER take over a game the way he can, and that's not to insult some of the terrific ones the Devils have had through the years.  People in my section (210) were genuinely blown away by his game last night, and that sums up how I often feel watching him play.  And of course, on top of everything else, the guy now finishes, all of the time.  I just hope he can keep being this kind of player for the next several years, because he's an absolute treat to watch.

Which row were you in in 210? I was in Row 1, myself, my brother, and dad were all wearing Adidas Hischier jerseys. Made the trip down from the Syracuse area and even took a couple vacation days from work to come to the game last night, and I feel zero remorse with that decision. I can’t remember ever being in a playoff atmosphere like that, we blew the roof off the Rock last night with every goal and I really think we gave the guys that extra lift last night, just an awesome game to be at and it just feels so good to having these conversations again about playoff hockey. LGD.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1