GAME 3: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, CNBC, MSG+

Steven M.

Just been watching some of the post game stuff. I absolutely love Taylor Hall. It's amazing that people actually had the nerve to call this amazing player and what seems to be amazing locker room leader and person a cancer to the locker room. So happy for him today. He really deserved that win and atmosphere last night. 

Now let's go tie this series up tomorrow! 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My only minor complaint is that the crowd tended to go a little quiet at 1-0 and 2-1 Tampa...I say show that being down by one won't knock us down...keep the energy going.

Definitely agree, but I think it happened cause both Tampa goals were before a good amount of people even got back into their seats from intermission and it was like gimme a break! Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Which row were you in in 210? I was in Row 1, myself, my brother, and dad were all wearing Adidas Hischier jerseys. Made the trip down from the Syracuse area and even took a couple vacation days from work to come to the game last night, and I feel zero remorse with that decision. I can’t remember ever being in a playoff atmosphere like that, we blew the roof off the Rock last night with every goal and I really think we have the guys that extra lift last night, just an awesome game to be at and it just feels so good to having these conversations again about playoff hockey. LGD.

I was in Row 2, wearing a white Zajac jersey.  I was in Seat 16.  I'm about 6' 1" 230 lbs (workout guy), salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and I was with three friends who weren't wearing jerseys. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Just been watching some of the post game stuff. I absolutely love Taylor Hall. It's amazing that people actually had the nerve to call this amazing player and what seems to be amazing locker room leader and person a cancer to the locker room. So happy for him today. He really deserved that win and atmosphere last night. 

Now let's go tie this series up tomorrow! 

It's been discussed but he very well could have been a PITA as an Oiler for all we know.  Sometimes guys make youthful mistakes, learn from them, and become better people, and/or simply find a different place a better fit.  From all accounts, seems like first being dealt, then seeing his former team make the playoffs without him, then that dinner with Shero had a truly profound effect on him.  Sometimes it takes that much.  And I think he's found a way to take his on-ice game to a whole new level.  Even now I wonder if he ever thought he could be this kind of player.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's been discussed but he very well could have been a PITA as an Oiler for all we know.  Sometimes guys make youthful mistakes, learn from them, and become better people, and/or simply find a different place a better fit.  From all accounts, seems like first being dealt, then seeing his former team make the playoffs without him, then that dinner with Shero had a truly profound effect on him.  Sometimes it takes that much.  And I think he's found a way to take his on-ice game to a whole new level.  Even now I wonder if he ever thought he could be this kind of player.

Agreed but unless there were actual stories that leaked out about this kind of stuff I'd be absolutely livid as an Oilers fan, thankfully I'm not so I can't be more happy about this being one of our best ever trades in this team's history and depending how things go it could eventually turn out to be the best by far. 

What an awesome game, had me so wound up I had trouble falling asleep last night!

Hedman is such a man baby. Over his career, you'd think he never deserved a penalty he took the way he argues every single one of them. Not sure why the refs take so much crap from him.

Great to see Cory get a win. Hopefully we got under Tampa's skin and they take a lot of dumb penalties on Wed.

LFGD!! Wooooooooooo!!!

• Like 1

Happy for the fans who were able to go last night. I'll be in attendance tomorrow, so hopefully they can pull out another W. This win is just massive on multiple levels. A. The fans have been waiting for playoff hockey for over half a decade. To win it in exciting fashion like that pretty much makes the suffering worth it. B. Cory Schneider played his ass off and was one of the main reasons why we won. IF he is hurt and can't play on, he won't have to go into the offseason looking for his first win in 2018. Schneider at his best is obviously lightyears ahead of Kinkaid at his, so if we're gonna steal this series, we need Cory at 100%. C. The team knows they can play with TB. They didn't play a perfect game, but I think a Devils victory was a fair result. Both goalies were incredible and I'm just glad the Devils made the extra play. 

Think of all the great players that have come through here and some of the great seasons they've had. Brodeur- 07, Elias-01, Parise-09, Stevens-94, Niedermayer- 04. Taylor Hall is probably the front runner to win the Hart Trophy and he showed why last night. He has been the best player in the series going up against names like Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman. 

Mojo didn't get on the scoresheet but I think he was easily one of our top 3 forwards last night. That line with Zacha and Maroon is 100x better with him than it is with Wood. The best part is that he dished out some big hits and took a couple and didn't look any worse for the wear. 

Nico isn't getting on the scoresheet but his defensive competitiveness and awareness are off the charts for a teen. We're so lucky to have him. Hopefully he's able to reproduce after that pos Hedman tried to saw off his balls.

Glad this series got a little chippy. Hedman and Sergachev were gooning it up at the end and it was good to see Boyle take care of the trash. I expect we'll see that gif of him with the crazy eyes for quite some time. Sergachev is probably just upset that Butcher is upstaging his loser ass in the series. I don't expect we'll win this thing, but you know, they have a shot, and we couldn't have asked for more.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was in Row 2, wearing a white Zajac jersey.  I was in Seat 16.  I'm about 6' 1" 230 lbs (workout guy), salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and I was with three friends who weren't wearing jerseys. 

This is where I think Shero really shows what a great GM he is.  He identified the issue and dealt with it and it worked.  Yeah it could have gone the other way, but Hall has gone on record that one of the things he really loves about playing for the Devils is the level of communication he has with both Hynes and Shero.  Apparently that was something he didn't have up in Edmonton.

I think he not only really likes being here now, but unless something goes south in a hurry I think he would love to stick around with a new contract in a couple more years.

Also I really don't put too much stock into the whole locker room cancer story lines from Canadian teams.  The press up there is absolutely brutal and I think a lot of those are just sort of speculated at best or made up at work by the media to have something to write about or explain why a certain player is playing like he is.  Hockey takes up a big part of their sports media and they need these story lines to fill the papers and air time.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure I minded that move. Stafford brings a little toughness which we clearly are going to need in this series. 

Grabner, on the other hand, brings a little bit of nothing. 

Agreed. Stafford had some snarl last night. 

That's how it goes with Palms (the streakiness...he's now without a goal in his last 7 GP overall, though he does have 4 assists), FWIW he has 9 shots in this series.  Hope he snaps out of it soon.  When he gets rolling he tends to REALLY get rolling. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's how it goes with Palms (the streakiness...he's now without a goal in his last 7 GP overall, though he does have 4 assists), FWIW he has 9 shots in this series.  Hope he snaps out of it soon.  When he gets rolling he tends to REALLY get rolling. 

He just needs to stay on his feet. He seems to lose his balance or get knocked over pretty easily and then is taken out of the play.. but agreed once he gets going he gets like 2 goals in one game. haha

• Like 1

The crowd deserves to be commended the noise level was unlike anything I've heard before outside of the true signature moments. Usually 1st rounds could be kind of meh for us crowd wise during the spoiled years but now we're sort of starting to appreciate it again.

Also there were definitely more than 16,500 there though they never seem to reports more than that

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Everything's been discussed so I'll mention a few other things that stuck out last night after re-watching the game again this morning:

• Will Butcher saved the game. Late in the third after a shorthanded Tampa rush that left Schneider sprawled, the puck squirted out to (Point, I think?). He had a gaping net and fired it quickly. Butcher saved the game.
  • Sergachev and Boyle have been going at it all series. Something ugly will happen... soon, too. While I'm not the best at lip-reading , but I could swear Sergachev was yelling "I wish you died" at him as he was skating off the ice. Of course, heat of the moment while Boyle is screaming "keep your eyes open, I'm going to fvcking kill you". Hope that isn't what Sergachev said, but I get it.
  • Nico will win at least 3 Selke's before his career is done. He's 19 years old and his defensive game looks like a polished all-star defensive forward. He's like a miniature combination of Taylor Hall and Travis Zajac, and he's ours. We're so fvcking lucky, wow. 
  • Without being a debbie downer, I can't see how Moore will be in the lineup over Mueller for game 4. I also hated Stafford's game, but nobody was worse last night than John Moore. Singlehandedly turned a 4-on-2 rush into a 2-on-1 the other way. Whiffed twice on perfect passes. Seemed out of place the entire game. I'd like to see Mueller and Grabner check back in for Moore and Stafford.
  • Kyle Palmieri is a streaky player who's gone invisible this series. The only scoring chance I can remember is that sneaky rocket he almost put past Vasy in game one. If he can pick his game up and start finding the back of the net, Devils in 6. 
  • I knew we were going to win the game last night the entire time. Even when it was 1-0 and 2-1, I was positive. Come out with similar intensity on wednesday and we've got a tie-breaking game 5 to look forward to. 

I am so blissfully happy to be talking about the playoffs. Love this team, love these guys.

Rumors I have been hearing was Sergachev telling Boyle he hopes his cancer kills him.

A couple of observations from being at the game last night.  Outside of the Game 6 OT win over the Rangers in 2012, that was by far the best crowd we've had at the Rock.  The atmosphere was amazing, and the place was buzzing from even before they came out in warmups.  Having Chico pump up the crowd with NJ before the opening faceoff was great.  No empty seats, including in the clubs, and you could absolutely feel the energy of the crowd throughout the game.  Games like last night are why, for me, nothing will ever beat watching a game live, no matter how good TV and surround sound systems get.

Ric Flair needs to be brought to the arena for one of these playoff games.  The place goes nuts for those videos they play during stoppages, and the roof would blow off the building if he was there in person.  I met him when I was on my bachelor party in LV a number of years ago.  He hung out with our group for over an hour and, even though I'm not a wrestling fan, it was a lot of fun talking to him and hearing some of his stories.  I know he's had health issues recently, but if I were working for the Devils I would be trying to make that appearance happen.

The Devils are getting under the thin skin of some of the TB stars.  Hedman, Kucherov, Sergachev, and Point are constantly crying to the refs throughout the games and during stoppages.  The Devils are making sure to finish their checks on Hedman constantly, and he's starting to get bothered by it.  The funny thing is how Cory Conacher is trying to be a tough guy in this series.  What is he, 5'8", 180 lbs?  At one point he and Wood were lined up next to each other for a neutral zone faceoff.  He slashed at Wood's skates before the puck was dropped and Wood literally looked down at him like I look at my kids when they piss me off.  The linesman stepped in otherwise I though Wood was going to just body slam him. 

Finally, as others have said, we got spoiled and complacent making the playoffs year after year between 1987-2012.  The first round felt more like a chore than the celebration that it is this season.   It is so much fun being in the postseason again.  From the crowds to the escalator rides post game to crossing Route 21 going to the parking lot yelling and waving the rally towels while people stopped at lights are honking and hanging out of windows cheering with us.  There really is nothing better. 

We need to bring the noise on Wednesday and help these guys even the series.  I can't wait!  

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

In the heat of the moment when the dude is yelling how he is going to kill you...meh....there are worse things to say.

Yeah its a dumb thing to say, but at least he didn't get whacked in the balls like Nico. 

• Like 2

Lol, the usa today has a story about boyle threatening a bolts.. lmao.. we only wish Brian would be more threatinging.. the cancer thing is funny.. you can't take anything said on the ice seriously..  though it it a bit more harsh than your wife is a dyke lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2