Steven M.

GAME 3: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, CNBC, MSG+

7 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

They should let Nico take an open shot at his nuts.

Penalty nut shot!!!!

i was able to watch the first period but then had to do my radio show. Had to warn the listeners that i was not going to be 100% focused and that i was basically staring a my phone looking at the time going down on the NHL app lol

No voice, <5 hours of sleep, but so so worth it.  Today's gonna suck, though :lol:

Wonder if Hedman gets a game for that bullsh&#33;t spear.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The Stamkos goal was stoppable, but man, to hold this Lightning team to 2 goals in the playoffs is damn impressive. I’ll glady eat crow and admit I wrote Cory off too soon. He is clearly still capable of being a top goalie in this league. 

I'm curious why you both think the Stamkos goal was so easy to stop.  It was on the PP, and that guy has one of the hardest shots in the league, especially from that spot.  I mean, he was basically in alone with time to shoot and pick his spot.  I suppose you could say Cory also had time to square up and stop it, but honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of guessing and who reacts quicker.  I don't fault Cory for that one really.  

8 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I just think fines need to be re-examined. $5,000 for Hedman is .0625% of his salary. 

That would be like if I walked into work tomorrow, took a full swing at my coworkers nuts with a heavy object, and my boss said “just give me $70 bucks and we’ll call it even”. 

Yup, there have totally been times that I'd gladly have paid .0625% of my annual salary to whack someone in the nuts with a hockey stick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He is very scary looking when he starts with the in-fight smile and the crazy eyes. To his credit, Sergachev didn't back down. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm curious why you both think the Stamkos goal was so easy to stop.  It was on the PP, and that guy has one of the hardest shots in the league, especially from that spot.  I mean, he was basically in alone with time to shoot and pick his spot.  I suppose you could say Cory also had time to square up and stop it, but honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of guessing and who reacts quicker.  I don't fault Cory for that one really.  

I didn’t say easily stoppable, I said stoppable. Cory saw it and could of made a save. It would have probably been a highlight reel save, but it wasn’t a goal I’d say he had absolutely no chance on. But who cares, he played great, and he WON!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SC Devs Fan said:

Was Grabner benched or is he hurt?

Scratched for Stafford

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In general, pretty much all of the aspects of the game have been covered, so I don't have much to add on that front...as we continue to see, Hall has found another level.  I've never seen a Devils forward EVER take over a game the way he can, and that's not to insult some of the terrific ones the Devils have had through the years.  People in my section (210) were genuinely blown away by his game last night, and that sums up how I often feel watching him play.  And of course, on top of everything else, the guy now finishes, all of the time.  I just hope he can keep being this kind of player for the next several years, because he's an absolute treat to watch. 

All I can say about the crowd is that it's changing for the better.  Last night was fvcking incredible.  We're obviously not known for being loud, and at times just getting a "Let's Go Devils!" chant going seems to be damned near impossible.  But last night felt every bit like everything you could possibly ask for from a home crowd.  Place was electric and then some.  So many red jerseys in the stands that I almost felt bad for wearing my white Elias night Zajac.  Can't speak for other sections, but in mine it felt like we were all on the same page...high-fiving with strangers, everyone nervous when it was time to be nervous, thrilled when the thrills came...it was just awesome in every possible way.  What's fun is that this is one year where the entitlement, for the moment, is gone...once you start making the playoffs year after year, people can start to take the earlier rounds for granted in a hurry ("Meh, it's only the first round, I'll save up for the next one, or the ECF").  Right now you really get a great sense that EVERYONE is just so jacked and so damned HAPPY to be watching playoff hockey again.  It's a beautiful beautiful thing.  My only minor complaint is that the crowd tended to go a little quiet at 1-0 and 2-1 Tampa...I say show that being down by one won't knock us down...keep the energy going. 

Something else that I loved...I got to the area around 4:50 or so, but had about 40 mins or so before my three friends were due to show up, so I checked out the Biergarten, Edison Ale House, and Dinosaur Bar...all three were already packed.  And in the half hour that I waited for my buds after that, waves of red just kept showing up...already overcrowded bars were becoming even MORE overcrowded.  Finally, when the first two of my crew showed up, we squeezed into the Biergarten for a quick beer...two Tampa Bay fans walked in, and they were ABUSED...loud boos, AAAAAAASS-HOOOOOOOLE chant, you name it.  Two most unwelcome blue jerseys overwhelmed by a smothering sea of red....I fvcking LOVED it, every second.  Know what else I loved?  Not one fight, not one shove, no violence whatsoever.  Wow, you mean we can actually have some back-and-forth banter without it turning into a fvcking melee?  Good luck with that in Philadelphia or New York.  And EVERY Tampa fan that dared to walk down Edison Street or into one of the bars got the same treatment. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been to a sh&#33;tload of Devils regular season and playoff games through the years, and last night was the first night that I didn't feel like our fanbase was timid, passive, or too quiet.  I think if the Devils ever face the Rangers in playoff series in the near future, those fvcking dipsh&#33;t Ranger fans won't know what hit them.  They'll come in expecting to take over the building, which they were (sadly) pretty easily able to do in the past.  Not anymore.  This fanbase is changing, in the best way possible.  Love it love it fvcking LOVE IT.

This is amazing to hear. And I truly feel like this is the result of an amazing job from Shero and the new ownership. By actually trying to please the fans, it's great to have a good team but the crowd can be such an important asset to a franchise. Obviously, we don't need to mention how it was before and who was responsible, we all know it and there's not much to add. But it's great that deep down we all knew it could be better and that it would be best for everyone involved and we're seeing it now. That's how you build a fanbase too. I'm very excited for the future of the franchise, that's not to say i expect a cup in a near future but at least some success. 

It's also great that we didnt have to go through a decade of terrible hockey like some teams went through in order to regain our mojo either

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Scratched for Stafford

I'm not sure I minded that move. Stafford brings a little toughness which we clearly are going to need in this series. 

Grabner, on the other hand, brings a little bit of nothing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is amazing to hear. And I truly feel like this is the result of an amazing job from Shero and the new ownership. By actually trying to please the fans, it's great to have a good team but the crowd can be such an important asset to a franchise. Obviously, we don't need to mention how it was before and who was responsible, we all know it and there's not much to add. But it's great that deep down we all knew it could be better and that it would be best for everyone involved and we're seeing it now. That's how you build a fanbase too. I'm very excited for the future of the franchise, that's not to say i expect a cup in a near future but at least some success. 

It's also great that we didnt have to go through a decade of terrible hockey like some teams went through in order to regain our mojo either

We've been through it before, but it was clearly 100% time for a change.  As far as ownership goes, I do think VBK's heart was often in the right place, but he just didn't have deep enough pockets. 

Can't say enough about Shero, the guy came here with very little to work with, and I don't think anyone could've predicted that he'd have the Devils relevant as quickly as he has...he got some luck with nabbing a #1 overall pick, but he's obviously made some terrific moves.  Damn this season has been a blast.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In general, pretty much all of the aspects of the game have been covered, so I don't have much to add on that front...as we continue to see, Hall has found another level.  I've never seen a Devils forward EVER take over a game the way he can, and that's not to insult some of the terrific ones the Devils have had through the years.  People in my section (210) were genuinely blown away by his game last night, and that sums up how I often feel watching him play.  And of course, on top of everything else, the guy now finishes, all of the time.  I just hope he can keep being this kind of player for the next several years, because he's an absolute treat to watch.

Which row were you in in 210? I was in Row 1, myself, my brother, and dad were all wearing Adidas Hischier jerseys. Made the trip down from the Syracuse area and even took a couple vacation days from work to come to the game last night, and I feel zero remorse with that decision. I can’t remember ever being in a playoff atmosphere like that, we blew the roof off the Rock last night with every goal and I really think we gave the guys that extra lift last night, just an awesome game to be at and it just feels so good to having these conversations again about playoff hockey. LGD.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

Just been watching some of the post game stuff. I absolutely love Taylor Hall. It's amazing that people actually had the nerve to call this amazing player and what seems to be amazing locker room leader and person a cancer to the locker room. So happy for him today. He really deserved that win and atmosphere last night. 

Now let's go tie this series up tomorrow! 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My only minor complaint is that the crowd tended to go a little quiet at 1-0 and 2-1 Tampa...I say show that being down by one won't knock us down...keep the energy going.

Definitely agree, but I think it happened cause both Tampa goals were before a good amount of people even got back into their seats from intermission and it was like gimme a break! Lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Which row were you in in 210? I was in Row 1, myself, my brother, and dad were all wearing Adidas Hischier jerseys. Made the trip down from the Syracuse area and even took a couple vacation days from work to come to the game last night, and I feel zero remorse with that decision. I can’t remember ever being in a playoff atmosphere like that, we blew the roof off the Rock last night with every goal and I really think we have the guys that extra lift last night, just an awesome game to be at and it just feels so good to having these conversations again about playoff hockey. LGD.

I was in Row 2, wearing a white Zajac jersey.  I was in Seat 16.  I'm about 6' 1" 230 lbs (workout guy), salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and I was with three friends who weren't wearing jerseys. 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Just been watching some of the post game stuff. I absolutely love Taylor Hall. It's amazing that people actually had the nerve to call this amazing player and what seems to be amazing locker room leader and person a cancer to the locker room. So happy for him today. He really deserved that win and atmosphere last night. 

Now let's go tie this series up tomorrow! 

It's been discussed but he very well could have been a PITA as an Oiler for all we know.  Sometimes guys make youthful mistakes, learn from them, and become better people, and/or simply find a different place a better fit.  From all accounts, seems like first being dealt, then seeing his former team make the playoffs without him, then that dinner with Shero had a truly profound effect on him.  Sometimes it takes that much.  And I think he's found a way to take his on-ice game to a whole new level.  Even now I wonder if he ever thought he could be this kind of player.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's been discussed but he very well could have been a PITA as an Oiler for all we know.  Sometimes guys make youthful mistakes, learn from them, and become better people, and/or simply find a different place a better fit.  From all accounts, seems like first being dealt, then seeing his former team make the playoffs without him, then that dinner with Shero had a truly profound effect on him.  Sometimes it takes that much.  And I think he's found a way to take his on-ice game to a whole new level.  Even now I wonder if he ever thought he could be this kind of player.

Agreed but unless there were actual stories that leaked out about this kind of stuff I'd be absolutely livid as an Oilers fan, thankfully I'm not so I can't be more happy about this being one of our best ever trades in this team's history and depending how things go it could eventually turn out to be the best by far. 

What an awesome game, had me so wound up I had trouble falling asleep last night!

Hedman is such a man baby. Over his career, you'd think he never deserved a penalty he took the way he argues every single one of them. Not sure why the refs take so much crap from him.

Great to see Cory get a win. Hopefully we got under Tampa's skin and they take a lot of dumb penalties on Wed.

LFGD!! Wooooooooooo!!!

• Like 1

Happy for the fans who were able to go last night. I'll be in attendance tomorrow, so hopefully they can pull out another W. This win is just massive on multiple levels. A. The fans have been waiting for playoff hockey for over half a decade. To win it in exciting fashion like that pretty much makes the suffering worth it. B. Cory Schneider played his ass off and was one of the main reasons why we won. IF he is hurt and can't play on, he won't have to go into the offseason looking for his first win in 2018. Schneider at his best is obviously lightyears ahead of Kinkaid at his, so if we're gonna steal this series, we need Cory at 100%. C. The team knows they can play with TB. They didn't play a perfect game, but I think a Devils victory was a fair result. Both goalies were incredible and I'm just glad the Devils made the extra play. 

Think of all the great players that have come through here and some of the great seasons they've had. Brodeur- 07, Elias-01, Parise-09, Stevens-94, Niedermayer- 04. Taylor Hall is probably the front runner to win the Hart Trophy and he showed why last night. He has been the best player in the series going up against names like Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman. 

Mojo didn't get on the scoresheet but I think he was easily one of our top 3 forwards last night. That line with Zacha and Maroon is 100x better with him than it is with Wood. The best part is that he dished out some big hits and took a couple and didn't look any worse for the wear. 

Nico isn't getting on the scoresheet but his defensive competitiveness and awareness are off the charts for a teen. We're so lucky to have him. Hopefully he's able to reproduce after that pos Hedman tried to saw off his balls.

Glad this series got a little chippy. Hedman and Sergachev were gooning it up at the end and it was good to see Boyle take care of the trash. I expect we'll see that gif of him with the crazy eyes for quite some time. Sergachev is probably just upset that Butcher is upstaging his loser ass in the series. I don't expect we'll win this thing, but you know, they have a shot, and we couldn't have asked for more.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was in Row 2, wearing a white Zajac jersey.  I was in Seat 16.  I'm about 6' 1" 230 lbs (workout guy), salt-and-pepper hair and beard, and I was with three friends who weren't wearing jerseys. 

This is where I think Shero really shows what a great GM he is.  He identified the issue and dealt with it and it worked.  Yeah it could have gone the other way, but Hall has gone on record that one of the things he really loves about playing for the Devils is the level of communication he has with both Hynes and Shero.  Apparently that was something he didn't have up in Edmonton.

I think he not only really likes being here now, but unless something goes south in a hurry I think he would love to stick around with a new contract in a couple more years.

Also I really don't put too much stock into the whole locker room cancer story lines from Canadian teams.  The press up there is absolutely brutal and I think a lot of those are just sort of speculated at best or made up at work by the media to have something to write about or explain why a certain player is playing like he is.  Hockey takes up a big part of their sports media and they need these story lines to fill the papers and air time.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure I minded that move. Stafford brings a little toughness which we clearly are going to need in this series. 

Grabner, on the other hand, brings a little bit of nothing. 

Agreed. Stafford had some snarl last night. 

Everything's been discussed so I'll mention a few other things that stuck out last night after re-watching the game again this morning:

• Will Butcher saved the game. Late in the third after a shorthanded Tampa rush that left Schneider sprawled, the puck squirted out to (Point, I think?). He had a gaping net and fired it quickly. Butcher saved the game.
  • Sergachev and Boyle have been going at it all series. Something ugly will happen... soon, too. While I'm not the best at lip-reading , but I could swear Sergachev was yelling "I wish you died" at him as he was skating off the ice. Of course, heat of the moment while Boyle is screaming "keep your eyes open, I'm going to fvcking kill you". Hope that isn't what Sergachev said, but I get it.
  • Nico will win at least 3 Selke's before his career is done. He's 19 years old and his defensive game looks like a polished all-star defensive forward. He's like a miniature combination of Taylor Hall and Travis Zajac, and he's ours. We're so fvcking lucky, wow. 
  • Without being a debbie downer, I can't see how Moore will be in the lineup over Mueller for game 4. I also hated Stafford's game, but nobody was worse last night than John Moore. Singlehandedly turned a 4-on-2 rush into a 2-on-1 the other way. Whiffed twice on perfect passes. Seemed out of place the entire game. I'd like to see Mueller and Grabner check back in for Moore and Stafford.
  • Kyle Palmieri is a streaky player who's gone invisible this series. The only scoring chance I can remember is that sneaky rocket he almost put past Vasy in game one. If he can pick his game up and start finding the back of the net, Devils in 6. 
  • I knew we were going to win the game last night the entire time. Even when it was 1-0 and 2-1, I was positive. Come out with similar intensity on wednesday and we've got a tie-breaking game 5 to look forward to. 

I am so blissfully happy to be talking about the playoffs. Love this team, love these guys.

• Like 3