GAME 3: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, CNBC, MSG+

Steven M.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

In favor of the goalie who just gave up 9 goals in 4 1/2 periods? People can make excuses for KK all day long, but he still did that.  

To one of the most potent offenses in the league... off of a bunch of turnovers from his own stupid d-men... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

In favor of the goalie who just gave up 9 goals in 4 1/2 periods? People can make excuses for KK all day long, but he still did that.  

In a way, what happened to KK is a little like what happens to a baseball pitcher who gives up 4 or 5 hits more than he should have, because he has lousy fielders behind him and/or fielders who simply didn't come up with very playable balls (but were scored as hits).  KK's been incredibly unlucky, and not as bad as the raw numbers suggest.

That being said, I think sometimes you give your HC the benefit of the doubt.  That's what I'm going to do with Hynes here.  I'm not going to pretend that Cory gives me the warm and fuzzies at the moment (though I haven't given up on him long-term), and I probably would've given KK this game because even though there was some definite luck involved, he did do a hell of a job helping the Devils get into the playoffs.  Hopefully Cory proves his coach right and comes up with a huge game tonight. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's exactly what I was talking about. You're making excuses. 

You can call them excuses, I'll call them facts.  

There are a lot of reasons why you could make a case for Cory to be in the net tonight (more experienced, played behind some bad Devils teams the past few years, etc), but Kinkaid's play so far this series is not one of them.  If you're going to use that as justification, then you have to take into account Cory's as well, and we all know how he's been the last two months.  

Cory is 0-10-2 in his last 12 games, so if you want to say that Kinkaid has let up 9 goals in 4 1/2 periods, then do the math and consider how many Cory let up in his last 36 periods.

I don’t care. Kinkaid is the only reason other than Hall that we’re even here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t care. Kinkaid is the only reason other than Hall that we’re even here.

27 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You can call them excuses, I'll call them facts.  

There are a lot of reasons why you could make a case for Cory to be in the net tonight (more experienced, played behind some bad Devils teams the past few years, etc), but Kinkaid's play so far this series is not one of them.  If you're going to use that as justification, then you have to take into account Cory's as well, and we all know how he's been the last two months.  

Cory is 0-10-2 in his last 12 games, so if you want to say that Kinkaid has let up 9 goals in 4 1/2 periods, then do the math and consider how many Cory let up in his last 36 periods.

I get where you guys are coming from, but its also impossible to keep riding the wave of a guy's success if the guy is giving up an average of 6 goals per 3 periods. 

I get where you guys are coming from, but its also impossible to keep riding the wave of a guy's success if the guy is giving up an average of 6 goals per 3 periods. 

And I get where you’re coming from, but I think Kinkaid has earned the benefit of the doubt. Without him, we’re calculating lottery odds today instead of discussing game 3.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And I get where you’re coming from, but I think Kinkaid has earned the benefit of the doubt. Without him, we’re calculating lottery odds today instead of discussing game 3.

So do you just let him play out and whatever happens happens?

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That's basically my feeling as well.  I don't hate the fact of starting Cory, because I still believe in him too, but I do think Kinkaid has done enough to earn some trust and faith, especially considering the first two games were on the road.  Guy would probably feel more comfortable and confident on home ice tonight.

I honestly have no idea what to expect tonight, that's the other reason why I'd prefer to see Kinkaid.  Like I said, I still believe in Schneider, and I think he has the potential and skill, because in general that stuff just doesn't go away that fast like we've seen lately (i.e. his recent struggles are probably more mental than physical, like many of us has pointed to), but there's just no telling if it's going to show up tonight.   

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

If I'm Hynes, yeah.  I would feel more comfortable answering questions from the fan base about Kinkaid being inexperienced (and the team in general) and that having caught up to them against a very good Bolts team, rather than fielding questions about my decision to yank him after 2 tough road games and put in a guy who has looked mentally fvcked in the head for the past 60 days, and hasn't won a game in this calendar year yet.  Reeeeeal risky if you ask me.  

EDIT:  The ONLY reason I think Hynes is doing this is because he is probably banking on the thought that he gave Schneider the start against the Caps, and even though he didn't get a W obviously, I bet he's hoping that Cory got all that sh!t out of his head and is ready for a fresh start.  That's the only thing I can think of that would make him start Kinkaid.  Unless he really believes KK's game has gone to sh!t after just 2 games, and/or Cory is that much better from a pure skill standpoint - the former of which I don't believe, and even the latter of which is a bit hard to believe now too.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

Not necessarily, but I think Kinkaid earned the opportunity tonight to start the first home playoff game after helping to drag the team there. I think his play for the last two months earned him that right. It was nice that Cory played well in a mop-up role with very little/no pressure the other day, and I REALLY hope it gave him enough confidence to get his game back (because if it didn’t, we’re all screwed), but it wasn’t enough for me not to have some agida about this decision.

• Like 1

New pads

It was interesting, if not a bit alarming, to see Schneider come into Game 2 wearing a totally different brand of pads in a game for the first time in his NHL career.   Schneider had been trying the new CCM pads in practice for a week, and it wasn't his intent to wear them in a game yet.   He said in a text message he wanted to see how it felt wearing the pads for a longer stretch while on the bench.   Whether he sticks with the new pads remains to be seen, but with four goals through the five-hole in his past five regular-season games, it might be worth it to try them.

nhl.com

Quick question for the STH’s: knowing the Devils mostly did away with paper tickets, did they print any ‘souvenir’ style playoff tickets this year? Just curious because I have one from every year we’ve been in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Quick question for the STH’s: knowing the Devils mostly did away with paper tickets, did they print any ‘souvenir’ style playoff tickets this year? Just curious because I have one from every year we’ve been in the playoffs.

I just printed a copy of the e-ticket after I loaded them on my smart phone. (I'm just  a partial  season ticket holder not a club member so I can't speak for them.) I have at least one  playoff ticket from each  year since 1988  on my wall.  I always waited on seeing what design the tickets would be. Sigh :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty clear the organization's opinion of Bratt is very low right now. 

well deserved his game tanked at what the mid way point?   Such a surprising and promising start.  Hopefully he can gather it back up next year but I don't think it's a given he has a spot without earning it. Not a bad thing.

Bratt needs to be in a top 6 role in Hynes eyes. There's no point playing him on the 3rd or 4th line. He decided to go with Mojo instead in the top 6 and probably wants Stafford in more if a checking role. 

As for the Cory thing, I think Kinkaid deserved this home start but it looks like Hynes is trying to shake things up

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why everyone is on the Kinkaid sympathy bandwagon.  You're paying $6 mil + for a goalie who shouldn't be playing backup.  Schneider was brought here to replace Marty.  He was brought here as a bonafide #1 goalie.   He needs to put up or shut up.  Plain and simple.  Give him a chance to play in the playoffs.  If he effs up, then you go back to Kinkaid.

You're down 2-0, you make a move that could be psychological, especially to the other team that is going to be shooting against him.

Remember when Marty lost 2 games to Boston back in the day, and Terreri played the next 2?  It was a must move.  If it backfires, so be it.  But it was necessary.

Kinkaid, for stretches, reminded me of a glorified version of Scott Clemmensen, so let's not crown him the heir apparent to Marty just yet.  He didn't steal any games from Tampa, and that is what a goalie needs to do in the playoffs.

4-2 Devils tonight. 

Palms and Maroon with the early goals in the first before tampa brings it back to 2-2. 

Who else but Hall to make it 3-2 with under three to go in the third before Sammy Vats seals the win with a long range empty better after Greene struggles to clear the zone. 

So no need for any of you to watch tonight. As that's what's going to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I'm not sure why everyone is on the Kinkaid sympathy bandwagon.  You're paying $6 mil + for a goalie who shouldn't be playing backup.  Schneider was brought here to replace Marty.  He was brought here as a bonafide #1 goalie.   He needs to put up or shut up.  Plain and simple.  Give him a chance to play in the playoffs.  If he effs up, then you go back to Kinkaid.

You're down 2-0, you make a move that could be psychological, especially to the other team that is going to be shooting against him.

Remember when Marty lost 2 games to Boston back in the day, and Terreri played the next 2?  It was a must move.  If it backfires, so be it.  But it was necessary.

Kinkaid, for stretches, reminded me of a glorified version of Scott Clemmensen, so let's not crown him the heir apparent to Marty just yet.  He didn't steal any games from Tampa, and that is what a goalie needs to do in the playoffs.

The goalie getting paid 6 mil has played poorly after Dec both this yr and last yr.   There is not 1 goal that was weak or soft that kk let in... better d and he gets at least 1 win.  

Think they'll win tonight, regardless of goalie... taking the over on cs letting in 1 weak goal.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

The longest season Bratt had ever played in his entire life is 48 games. His game falling off a cliff shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He'll bounce back next year.

yep hope so.  Not sure how likely it is that he bulks up more than a few pounds but hoping he does. Kid looks so tiny and gets knocked off the puck so easy.

Edited by titans04

While I do think Kinkaid should have gotten the start tonight, I want to point out that the common theme when Cory was losing his starting job was that Kinkaid was finding ways to win. He hasn't found those the last 2 games and Hynes seems to feel the need to shake it up. Maybe he feels the team will play tighter defensively with Cory. 

30 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yep hope so.  Not sure how likely it is that he bulks up more than a few pounds but hoping he does. Kid looks so tiny and gets knocked off the puck so easy.

I actually believe he's hard to knock off the puck in the sense that his puck protection skills are already really good at such a young age. He's not big, but his puck skills and IQ are extremely good. I was actually surprised at how good he was protecting the puck against bigger guys this season. 

• Like 3