GAME 4: Tampa Bay @ New Jersey. 730 PM EST, GOLF, MSG+

Steven M.

Where on the video does his elbow hit anything? Serious question.  Watching sportsnet a few mins ago and it's clearly still a split on how guys feel about it.  Savard a guy with a history of concussions called it an ok hit, while the other two said dirty.

48 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Where on the video does his elbow hit anything? Serious question.  Watching sportsnet a few mins ago and it's clearly still a split on how guys feel about it.  Savard a guy with a history of concussions called it an ok hit, while the other two said dirty.

I'm not entirely sure about the head contact, but it did look like he made shoulder contact to the head.  And, he definitely dips and vaults into the hit, leaving the ice. 

Both things make that hit illegal in my book. 

Ultimately I hope Sami is OK, but his presence wasn't going to win us the series. He was healthy when they hung 5 on us two games in a row. This is only tragic in that he's hurt, it won't affect the inevitable outcome. 

It makes me long for the mid 90's, when we spent zero time worried about supplemental discipline and knew it would be addressed on the ice. 

• Like 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I'm not entirely sure about the head contact, but it did look like he made shoulder contact to the head.  And, he definitely dips and vaults into the hit, leaving the ice. 

Ultimately I hope Sami is OK, but his presence wasn't going to win us the series. He was healthy when they hung 5 on us two games in a row. This is only tragic in that he's hurt, it won't affect the inevitable outcome. 

It makes me long for the mid 90's, when we spent zero time worried about supplemental discipline and knew it would be addressed on the ice. 

If Sami hit Kucherov like that, he'd be suspended.

RE: the crowd, others have touched on it but I know personally I was just so taken out of the game by the way the first period ended. I had nowhere near as much energy as I did for Game 3 because it just felt like 'one of those games' where literally everything was conspiring against the Devils. Seeing Sami go down like that, knowing how he is probably the most important player on the team not named Taylor Hall... seeing no penalty called for that, seeing us attempt to respond and only ending up with more penalties to kill off... I was feeling super dejected. Then the last 40 minutes of the game were just so fvcking boring which is a credit to their defensive structure. I felt bad because I got my fiance an extra ticket to the game and after I told her about how amazing Monday was we of course had to end up with something like that. At least the first 10 minutes were fun with Puddy going off and Palmieri scoring. I still joined in on most chants through the end of the game but it did feel a lot less hopeful than the first game.

The killer was missing on all of those breakaways. One of those goes in and the whole building would have been shaking. What can you do I guess... Just win the next one and give us another game to come to. I am glad there will be a watch party at the Rock so I at least have one more reason to go to the barn if they don't end up winning.

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

If Sami hit Kucherov like that, he'd be suspended.

Probably. I knew instantly that they would do everything they could to not suspend the Lighning's star player in the Playoffs. I am sure that is what happened. 

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

RE: the crowd, others have touched on it but I know personally I was just so taken out of the game by the way the first period ended. I had nowhere near as much energy as I did for Game 3 because it just felt like 'one of those games' where literally everything was conspiring against the Devils. Seeing Sami go down like that, knowing how he is probably the most important player on the team not named Taylor Hall... seeing no penalty called for that, seeing us attempt to respond and only ending up with more penalties to kill off... I was feeling super dejected. Then the last 40 minutes of the game were just so fvcking boring which is a credit to their defensive structure. I felt bad because I got my fiance an extra ticket to the game and after I told her about how amazing Monday was we of course had to end up with something like that. At least the first 10 minutes were fun with Puddy going off and Palmieri scoring. I still joined in on most chants through the end of the game but it did feel a lot less hopeful than the first game.

The killer was missing on all of those breakaways. One of those goes in and the whole building would have been shaking. What can you do I guess... Just win the next one and give us another game to come to. I am glad there will be a watch party at the Rock so I at least have one more reason to go to the barn if they don't end up winning.

Yep.  I had a similar overall experience and feeling.  My friend couldn't make the Monday game but did come to the Wednesday game.  Afterward I was like sorry you had to go to the wrong one :P 

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Kucherov left his feet even before making contact.  He launched himself and to me that alone makes it dirty whether it was shoulder to shoulder initial contact or not.  And this isn't a second-guess replay after, I saw it both live and on replay.

This.  Kucherov isn’t a dirty player, but he leaves his feet and launches himself into the hit.  Very similar to Doughty’s hit that he got a 1 game suspension for.  NHL player discipline is a joke and, at best inconsistent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Kucherov left his feet even before making contact.  He launched himself and to me that alone makes it dirty whether it was shoulder to shoulder initial contact or not.  And this isn't a second-guess replay after, I saw it both live and on replay.

This was my thought from seeing it there live and the replay as well. The NHL has been consistently inconsistent so I can't say I'm surprised. 

51 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well that's just not true. His skates were both still touching the ice when he made contact. If not we're talking like... 0.00001 inch not touching the ice  like a milisecond before the hit so he really didnt launched himself. His left foot was flat to the ice all along and stayed on the ice even after.

I know it's upsetting but let's not start making stuff up here

5ad905cba052b_ScreenShot2018-04-19at6_02_55PM.thumb.png.f6bff33b16bc6130ea2140eef1f8d9ad.png

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly fitz... shoulder to head with everything he had

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's just not true. His skates were both still touching the ice when he made contact. If not we're talking like... 0.00001 inch not touching the ice  like a milisecond before the hit so he really didnt launched himself. His left foot was flat to the ice all along and stayed on the ice even after.

I know it's upsetting but let's not start making stuff up here

5ad905cba052b_ScreenShot2018-04-19at6_02_55PM.thumb.png.f6bff33b16bc6130ea2140eef1f8d9ad.png

Those pictures end too early. He definitely left his feet.He definitely left his feet.